As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Discworld! (Terry Pratchett has passed away; world cries a collective "Buggrit.")

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'm finally reading Small Gods, and hit upon this
    The party had reached a gateway in the wall that ran around the top of the rock in much the same way that a headband encircles a head. The Ephebian captain stopped, and turned.

“The . . . visitors . . . must be blindfolded,” he said.

“That is outrageous!” said Vorbis. “We are here on a mission of diplomacy!”

“That is not my business,” said the captain. “My business is to say: If you go through this gate you go blindfolded. You don't have to be blindfolded. You can stay outside. But if you want to go through, you got to wear a blindfold. This is one of them life choices.”

I work part time as a bouncer; I've never identified more completely with a literary character than this unnamed captain.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    On Friday, the Terry Pratchett Facebook account posted this:
    12573763_10153229642805025_3304544367443071302_n.jpg?oh=2aa7ef8edccc91b124d485bb5a1ee2ac&oe=57414126

Your guess is as good as mine. o_O

The petition worked and Death is bringing Sir Pterry back?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    12573763_10153229642805025_3304544367443071302_n.jpg?oh=2aa7ef8edccc91b124d485bb5a1ee2ac&oe=57414126

Death wrote:
    IF THAT DIDN'T GET ME TO BRING BACK JOHN LENNON, IT ISN'T GOING TO WORK NOW.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

Death wrote:

Pipe down, you! Nobody invoked the Rite of AshkEnte.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I always wondered. Is AshkEnte some kind of pun or anagram or reference or something? Most everything else is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The consensus online is that it might be a reference to one of two villages called Ash, in Kent.

Or maybe not.

Sometimes a chicken is nothing but a bird.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone doesn't have it bookmarked already, here's the BBC Radio Terry Pratchett page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03mz1wb

There are about 7 or 8 adaptations that they cycle through pretty regularly. Usually each episode stays up for a couple of weeks or more. Wyrd Sisters just started, 1/4 is up now and 2/4 will be streamable after 18:00 GMT today.

I find these extremely listenable. They're not "Kenneth Brannagh Shakespeare adaptation" good, but they're still pretty good.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Death wrote:

Pipe down, you! Nobody invoked the Rite of AshkEnte.

Also, aren't you overdoing it a bit this month? Geez, man.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    BUSY BUSY BUSY.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    OH, I'VE GOT THEM ALL, he said, turning back to Wayne, ELVIS PRESLEY, BUDDY HOLLY, JIM MORRISON, JIMI HENDRIX, JOHN LENNON...

'Fairly wide spread, musically,' said Wayne. 'Have you got the complete Beatles?'

NOT YET.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    'Elvis Presley died in 1976.'

I DON'T CARE WHAT IT SAYS, I NEVER LAID A FINGER ON HIM.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

He's a short order cook in a restaurant that leaves you hungry.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Aka: heaven, if you're Elvis.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

Well it also leaves you effectively un-fed, as in "no nutrients whatsoever". And IIRC at that point he wouldn't even lose weight from eating it.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Well it also leaves you effectively un-fed, as in "no nutrients whatsoever". And IIRC at that point he wouldn't even lose weight from eating it.

I think the line was something like "If you ate enough of it, you would both become grossly fat and die of malnutrition, which was deliciously ironic."

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Yeah, that whole sequence, following the restaurant megachain's CEO, was awful. Then you get to the end and you read the bit where it says "He signed his real name. Six letters. Rhymes with 'examine'." Dun dun dun!

That bit's even given in list format:

"If you ate enough MEALS(tm) you would
    A) Get very fat, and
    B) Die of malnutrition"

Yikes!

Definitely not at all like his Discworld incarnation, who really just wants a sandwich. With salad cream.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I found Science of Discworld 3: Darwin's Watch at the local B&N a couple weeks ago, thus valiantly staving off a Pratchett-less world for at least a little while longer. But man... there's a chapter in here on theoretical mathematics/infinity/string theory that was just brain-baking. I'm pretty sure my eyes glazed over at least three times trying to get through it.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Question: are the wee free men and the wee free men illustrated version the same book or is there less content in the illustrated version?

silence1186 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I had a look around, and I've seen zero people complaining that its got story cut out or simplified. So I'm going to assume its the same book with illustrations added.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yeah, that whole sequence, following the restaurant megachain's CEO, was awful. Then you get to the end and you read the bit where it says "He signed his real name. Six letters. Rhymes with 'examine'." Dun dun dun!

That bit's even given in list format:

"If you ate enough MEALS(tm) you would
    A) Get very fat, and
    B) Die of malnutrition"

Yikes!

Definitely not at all like his Discworld incarnation, who really just wants a sandwich. With salad cream.

Well, all the Discworld Horsemen are much nicer than their Good Omens counterparts. Makes sense that would include Famine.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    The April 14th thing posted a while ago was a teaser for The Terry Pratchett Memorial being held on that day in London. Tickets are going to be distributed via lottery, which opens on 2/18 until 3/14.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I'm been slowly plodding my way through the Discworld novels. I'm up to Going Postal, and just got to the part:
    where they explain what GNU John Dearheart means. I can't help but feeling reading it for the first time after GNU Terry Pratchett made the scene more impactful than for someone who read it before Sir Terry's passing.

• Options
    So I'm been slowly plodding my way through the Discworld novels. I'm up to Going Postal, and just got to the part:
    where they explain what GNU John Dearheart means. I can't help but feeling reading it for the first time after GNU Terry Pratchett made the scene more impactful than for someone who read it before Sir Terry's passing.

The last time I read that bit I had to stop and stare at the wall for a few minutes. Also a bit near the end, which you'll know when you get there.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular

The last time I read that bit I had to stop and stare at the wall for a few minutes. Also a bit near the end, which you'll know when you get there.

I play Fallen London. They had that quote as their banner for several weeks after he passed, assuming we are thinking of the same part.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    I've just introduced my sister in law to the second Discworld video game. I'm now watching her play and enjoying it all over again :)

• Options
    I've just introduced my sister in law to the second Discworld video game. I'm now watching her play and enjoying it all over again :)

That's as transparent a reason as I need to post this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pQUKV9MuM
    You'll all be humming that for the rest of the day. Sorry/You're welcome.

• Options
    Just now hearing about Seriously Funny: The Endlessly Quotable Terry Pratchett hitting (UK) shelves next Thursday. Not sure on a US release date.

• Options

What bit near the end?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I assume the GNU bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The culmination of Moist's plan, and the reaction of Tower 181.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Oh, what's that? We're sharing more grief fuel?

Also Gaiman is working on a six part mini-series for Good Omens. Did you know that him and Pterry had an agreement to always work on Good Omens related projects together? So how can Neil go forward with this? Terry arranged to have a letter delivered to Gaiman posthumously asking him to go ahead without him. “At that point, I think I said, ‘You bastard, yes,’”

Classy as hell and sorely missed.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Oh, what's that? We're sharing more grief fuel?

Also Gaiman is working on a six part mini-series for Good Omens. Did you know that him and Pterry had an agreement to always work on Good Omens related projects together? So how can Neil go forward with this? Terry arranged to have a letter delivered to Gaiman posthumously asking him to go ahead without him. “At that point, I think I said, ‘You bastard, yes,’”

Classy as hell and sorely missed.

• Options
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    That's… that's a bee. Pterry gave Neil Gaiman a bonnet with a bee on it.

I...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kinda surprised it doesn't say "wizzard" on it.

• Options
    edited April 2016

LOL, not square-jawed enough to be Lewton. That tweet actually reminded of this pic of Vimes...

Samuel_Vimes.jpg

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    That was the picture on my Year 10 history folder at school

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    In my copy of Good Omens there's a foreword about how Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimen met, and it mentions that Neil had this terrible, terrible had that he ditched by the end of the day, and from that point onwards he took up wearing jackets instead, but Terry Pratchett started wearing hats.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.