As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flickchart. Rating movies has never broken this many hearts.

167891012»

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Crocodile Dundee II (1988) vs Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

Someone said that crap vs craps are the hardest choices.

I Can't decide between campy crap and joystick controlled enterprise.

EDIT: I think my movies got capped to around 370 or so. The first 50 or so clicks on the rank unranked movies didn't yield any seen movies anymore

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ranked pairs are usually pretty good at making lists, but this algorithm is rather bad. It appears to just maintain a list and modify the list based on choices rather than actually remember what all your choices are. Which must be why it puts the winner of your very first choice up top and only very grudgingly moves it down when it is directly paired off against other movies, bumping those movies to the very top.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah dammit, Star Trek II vs Terminator 2.

I'm still getting a bit of movement in my top 20 but looks pretty good. Bottom 20 is all over the place though.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Raiders v. Back to the Future? Argh!

(Raiders won)

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As it should no matter how much we love McFly.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Top 5 I haven't seen:

57. Sin City
    90. V for Vendetta - seen bits and pieces but never the whole thing all the way through
    105. Heat
    123. Predator - pieces
    148. Total Recall

Honestly I'm not crying over having missed any of those.

honestly I'd say they're all worth seeing, and I'd probably rank them in exactly the order they are there. might put V above Sin City.

they aren't Must See in the traditional sense but I'd say each is worth the time, with Total Recall being the weakest but more than fun enough to make up for it.
    jammu wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Why does everyone fucking hate on Citizen Kane? I don't understand how you could think it's a "shit" movie. It has a good story, isn't long, Orson Welles is good, and is extremely well shot and put together.

Citizen Kane isn't even in my top 20 of favorite movies. Not by a long shot. It is a good movie though, and the reason it ended up at the top of all these "greatest films" lists is because it revolutionized filmmaking.

Personally I think it's impossible to call Citizen Kane crap and turn around and say Shawshank Redemption and Shindler's List are favorites - I find them to be similar films. I enjoyed them all when I saw them, but when I think "what do I want to watch" for a comfort movie of any kind they definitely don't come up.

Sorry for the rant but I feel like Citizen Kane is unjustifiably shit on by people who either haven't seen it, or went into it thinking "BORING" and didn't actually watch it.

Citizen kane is nickelback of the movies.
    :P

But seriously I don't give bonus for movies for historical purposes. Metropolis and original king kong were both revolutionary in their times, but are still pretty lousy on modern standards.

the first thing you said is one of the stupidest things I've ever read. does the smiley mean it's completely a joke?

and for the latter, Citizen Kane isn't lousy by modern standards (I haven't seen King Kong since I was a kid and never saw metropolis) anyway, though personally I think ignoring the time and place a movie came from only weakens your own appreciation and enjoyment. Even with your POV it's an outstandingly well made movie. It doesn't get so much recognition simply because people are copy-catting other lists or can't think of something better. It's just very good.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Frickin flicker hates me. Since Shrek was the first movie that won a challenge it started out at number one on my list (even though its a movie that is not in my top 200) and since then it has moved to number 6. I clicked on rerate this movie hoping to knock it out of the top 20 and it went up against Men in Black (an okay movie which I rated higher than Shrek), Fargo (I absolutely hate the Coen Bros so Shrek wins), and then Vanilla Sky (which again Shrek won), so in the end Shrek stays in number 6.

Here is what Flickchart thinks my top 20 is:
    1. The Empire Strikes back--actually correct my number one, but I had to spend thirty minutes manipulating flickchart to get it in that spot.
    2. The Shawshank redemption---in my top twenty but not quite this high
    3. Dogma---somewhere around 20-30
    4. Dodge Ball--top 500 at best
    5. Men in Black--top 300 at best
    6. Shrek--top 500 at best
    7. A Christmas Story--top 100 maybe top 50
    8. Pirates of the the Caribbean (first movie)--top 30
    9. Austin Powers (first movie)--top 30
    10. Indiana Jones and the temple of doom--if it was raiders or crusade, but instead top 100 maybe 150
    11. Con Air--top 100 maybe 50
    12. The Usual Suspects--top 100 maybe 50
    13. Fight Club--top 100 maybe 50
    14. Unbreakable--top 100 maybe 50
    15. Iron Man--top 150 maybe 200
    16. The Aviator--top 300 or maybe 200
    17. Sin City--top 100 maybe 50
    18. Toy Story 2--top 500
    19. Wedding Crashers--top 300
    20. The Mask--top 500

My top 5 never seen:
    28. Big Lewbowski
    32. Alien
    37. Wall E
    38 Memento
    43. No Country for old men

goddammit--shrek vs. 8mm shrek wins again.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My top 5 I haven't seen.

39. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    52. American Beauty
    81. Taxi Driver
    90. Edward Scissorhands
    92. Donnie Darko

I've seen bits and pieces of Taxi Driver and Edward Scissorhands but not enough for me to say I've seen them.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • Options
    mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just started this (username = mrdobalina)

It's asking me to choose between Brazil and Lawrence of Arabia.

Hardest choice yet.

mrdobalina on