As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apple 2009 WWDC Keynote

• Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cheers man. One of the comments on the ars article says the podcast is up, but I followed the link and can't seem to find it (the most recent keynote podcast according to iTunes was released in march this year). He also mentioned that it was something like 1.3gig, so I think I might have to wait till I'm back at uni and grab it with their internet.

Thanks again.

Trentus on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LA: wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »
    ascot wrote: »
    So apparently iPhone 3.0 software is available, has anyone tried it out?

From where? When I 'check for update' in itunes it tells me my 2.2.1 is the current version.
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5285936/torrent-iphone-os-30-naming-guide-for-iphone-2g-3g-and-ipod-touch

I just updated to it and so far so good. Landscape texts and emails are nice. Finally having copy and paste is nice. The search is pretty useful. Haven't messed around with much else yet.

I have it as well but I borked all my apps before installing it so no fun there. And Rogers won't turn on tethering till the 17th :(

But has anyone else been able to download more then 10 megs over 3g?

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    So O2 customers in the UK won't have to pay extra for the MMS service (but they will cost about 4x as much as a regular text message to send).

Thethering is going to be a bolt on starting at £15 a month for 3GB. All tethering bolt-ons are going to include unlimited access to The Cloud wi-fi hotspots in the UK.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »

From where? When I 'check for update' in itunes it tells me my 2.2.1 is the current version.
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5285936/torrent-iphone-os-30-naming-guide-for-iphone-2g-3g-and-ipod-touch

I just updated to it and so far so good. Landscape texts and emails are nice. Finally having copy and paste is nice. The search is pretty useful. Haven't messed around with much else yet.

I have it as well but I borked all my apps before installing it so no fun there. And Rogers won't turn on tethering till the 17th :(

Rogers gets tethering? Sweet. I will finally be able to utilize that 6 GB plan without jail breaking.

lilB on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trentus wrote: »
    Cheers man. One of the comments on the ars article says the podcast is up, but I followed the link and can't seem to find it (the most recent keynote podcast according to iTunes was released in march this year). He also mentioned that it was something like 1.3gig, so I think I might have to wait till I'm back at uni and grab it with their internet.

Thanks again.

You might try again; I downloaded it via the Podcast two days ago. So it should be up there.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    lilB wrote: »
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »

Rogers gets tethering? Sweet. I will finally be able to utilize that 6 GB plan without jail breaking.

Yep, free tethering till atleast the year's end.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Trentus wrote: »

Thanks again.

You might try again; I downloaded it via the Podcast two days ago. So it should be up there.

Hmmm... this is just frustrating, and I must be making some stupid little mistake somewhere. So I'll go through my steps.

First, I clicky the link to take me to the Apple Keynote page in iTunes, which I got from Ars. I also get the same results when I navigate to the page manually.

Next... well, I look for 09 wwdc podcast. But all I see is this. I'm getting the feeling I'm looking in the wrong place.

Trentus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Have you tried just subscribing to the Podcast and seeing if it shows up that way? Maybe not everything has been updated yet.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the leaked OS 3.0, can that be installed on an iPod Touch? That's seems pretty shady considering Apple makes one pay for the update (which is shady itself). Assuming you could get the update installed from the torrent that's out there, what happens with any future updates, will it update automatically and there won't be any message from Apple along the lines of "Pay $10 or you can't use the Touch?"

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Have you tried just subscribing to the Podcast and seeing if it shows up that way? Maybe not everything has been updated yet.

That'll do it. Thanks very much.

Trentus on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    For the leaked OS 3.0, can that be installed on an iPod Touch? That's seems pretty shady considering Apple makes one pay for the update (which is shady itself). Assuming you could get the update installed from the torrent that's out there, what happens with any future updates, will it update automatically and there won't be any message from Apple along the lines of "Pay $10 or you can't use the Touch?"

i don't really see how they would know any different, and its not like they would lock you out of device even if they did

ronzo on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »

i don't really see how they would know any different, and its not like they would lock you out of device even if they did

You have to look for the right image, but it does exist. There are 3 different 3.0 images floating around, one for iPhone 2G, one for iPhone 3G, one For iPod touch. If you actually look at the guides for installing, they'll tell you which one is for the iPod touch.

Don't install the wrong one. You run a high risk of bricking the device.

I'm honestly just going to wait for the final release. it's 6 days away. The versions floating around aren't even the 100% final release, and contain markers in them that indicate to apple that it's the developer final release, which is different than the "retail" final release.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Honestly I don't think I'd chance it with any kind of firmware from a mysterious torrent. I really don't want to pay Apple $10 to supposedly keep their accounting department Sarbanes-Oxley-compliant, but I'm definitely not going to flash my shiny little device with something that fell off of Mininova.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm on the fence on OS 3.0. if I spend the $10, that will be $40 I've shelled out for software updates. The previous two were worth it to me, but OS 3.0 doesn't seem to have much that I would use, at least right off the bat.

I'm sure I'll get it eventually but maybe not right out of the gate.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm on the fence on OS 3.0. if I spend the $10, that will be $40 I've shelled out for software updates. The previous two were worth it to me, but OS 3.0 doesn't seem to have much that I would use, at least right off the bat.

I'm sure I'll get it eventually but maybe not right out of the gate.

Push notifications, especially with IM, are worth $10 alone to me. I use my iPod Touch as an IM Machine a lot around the house. IT would be nice to have the notifications when I get a new message.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So O2 customers in the UK won't have to pay extra for the MMS service (but they will cost about 4x as much as a regular text message to send).

Thethering is going to be a bolt on starting at £15 a month for 3GB. All tethering bolt-ons are going to include unlimited access to The Cloud wi-fi hotspots in the UK.

The Cloud thing could be pretty useful. Time to drag the laptop to the nearest Wetherspoon's...

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Honestly I don't think I'd chance it with any kind of firmware from a mysterious torrent. I really don't want to pay Apple $10 to supposedly keep their accounting department Sarbanes-Oxley-compliant, but I'm definitely not going to flash my shiny little device with something that fell off of Mininova.

I'm fairly sure iTunes verified the file with Apple's servers. Your safe as long as your iPhone / iPod is not being flashed by a 3rd party app while in DFU mode. This is why you cant jailbreak with iTunes.

lilB on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    corcorigan wrote: »

The Cloud thing could be pretty useful. Time to drag the laptop to the nearest Wetherspoon's...

On the one hand, it's like, my plan includes unlimited data already so why am I having to pay for data just because it's being delivered to a laptop via my iPhone instead of just to my iPhone? On the other hand, a cloud subscription costs £9.99 anyway, so really you're only paying £5 to tether.

I'm not really convinced by it though. Partly because it seems like you'd be paying again for stuff that you already pay for anyway, but partly because tethering and the cloud aren't things I really want or need anyway so it's kind of difficult for me to assess whether the value justifies the cost.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, I noticed this when perusing the technical details of the 13" MBP:

"Combined optical digital output/headphone out (user-selectable analog audio line in)"

From the sounds of it, digital/optical-in is not possible with the combined in/out port.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So, I noticed this when perusing the technical details of the 13" MBP:

"Combined optical digital output/headphone out (user-selectable analog audio line in)"

From the sounds of it, digital/optical-in is not possible with the combined in/out port.

That's right. They got rid of optical input on the 13 inch to make room for the firewire and SD. The headphone port works with those new headphones Apple sells with the mic on them. Also works with the headphones that come with an iPhone. Sucks if you use that optical input port often but its not as bad as missing the firewire. At least you have the option of adding the hardware externally.

lilB on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The SATA interface on the 13" and the 15" Macbook Pro models was dropped back down to SATA I (1.5 Gbps) from SATA II (3.0 Gbps). Doesn't mean much to most people, but I hate seeing an interface downgraded like this. Source.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    People still use firewire?

I mean, I still use firewire, but that's just because I have no motivation to upgrade a ten year old scanner and I only 'use' it in the sense that the scanner is plugged in. I haven't actually scanned anything in at least five years.

Ok, and my first gen iPod is firewire too. Carry on Apple, Firewire appears to be a grave of your own making.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I mean, I still use firewire, but that's just because I have no motivation to upgrade a ten year old scanner and I only 'use' it in the sense that the scanner is plugged in. I haven't actually scanned anything in at least five years.

Ok, and my first gen iPod is firewire too. Carry on Apple, Firewire appears to be a grave of your own making.

Actually, lots of people still use firewire. More in the professional space, but it's still used a lot. it's still the preferred interface for the pro Video Cameras, and high end external drives use Firewire.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

Actually, lots of people still use firewire. More in the professional space, but it's still used a lot. it's still the preferred interface for the pro Video Cameras, and high end external drives use Firewire.

Pro audio too. Professional grade audio interfaces pretty much all use firewire. Not really a dying interface in the professional market. Actually, for some things it's the only reasonable choice you have. The only reason USB is more popular is because it's simpler and way cheaper.

lilB on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

There was a HUGE Uproar when they removed Firewire from the last Macbook revision. If you watched the Keynote, the crowd went nuts when they announced the return of Firewire. USB 2.0 is just too damn slow for pro applications.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

There was a HUGE Uproar when they removed Firewire from the last Macbook revision. If you watched the Keynote, the crowd went nuts when they announced the return of Firewire. USB 2.0 is just too damn slow for pro applications.

Even in situations where the speed is comparable, the advantage is in that Firewire requires a good deal less CPU time to do its stuff. Not really an issue when you're copying some files to a drive, but when you're running an external audio interface along with five VSTs doing real-time audio processing, it can make a real difference having the firewire controller off doing its thing instead of the USB controller constantly asking the CPU what to do next.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

I use Firewire on the two hard drives I own (One is 400, one 800) and on my DV camcorder (Which I need to really start making more use of) and I miss using it on my iPod because USB is so goddamn slow.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if the OS 3.0 features will mean we can connect a bluetooth keyboard soon (without jailbreaking, I mean.) Not quite as handy as tethering, but that would still be pretty darned useful for me.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I find it hard to believe that either of those applications actually accounts for "lots" of people. It'd be interesting to see stats on how many Mac users do. Its gotta be lower than the number of people who have monitors with vga adaptors or express cards for their laptops. IMO, Apple's just weird about this shit. They put out a big push for Firewire years ago, and they're a bit scared to go back on it now. They didn't put out a big push for any of those other things so they don't feel any impetus to stick with them.

Isn't USB3 due out next year? I expect to see Firewire finally die then.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bah, I still don't trust USB, especially for things like hard drives. As I understand it, USB can hit very fast transfer speeds, however it's very spikey. Meaning, while USB will hit it's theoretical max speed, it'll drop speed just as fast.

Firewire probably won't hit it's theoretical max speed, however it keeps it's transfer speed more constant. Just anecdotal on my part but I've heard and seen much better/constant transfer speeds through Firewire as opposed to USB.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    FF wrote: »
    Bah, I still don't trust USB, especially for things like hard drives. As I understand it, USB can hit very fast transfer speeds, however it's very spikey. Meaning, while USB will hit it's theoretical max speed, it'll drop speed just as fast.

Firewire probably won't hit it's theoretical max speed, however it keeps it's transfer speed more constant. Just anecdotal on my part but I've heard and seen much better/constant transfer speeds through Firewire as opposed to USB.

That's mainly because of the afore mentioned CPU requirement differences between firewire and USB

wunderbar on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You've heard right, sustained throughput is generally better with firewire.

Mostly I don't think firewire will go away with USB 3.0's introduction for the same reason firewire didn't go away with USB 2.0's introduction: firewire, like USB, gets periodic updates to increase transfer speed and capability.

CPU utilization has been mentioned and certainly it's the biggest advantage firewire has over USB. USB is driven by the CPU, firewire is driven by the interface itself --the faster USB sends data, the more work the CPU has to do. Firewire also gets some direct memory access, and device-to-device data access (whereas with USB, data has to jump from the device to the host then to another device.)

Given that, by design, USB will never be able to perform as well as firewire (assuming the same theoretical bandwidth) and firewire will never be produced as cheaply as USB (assuming no change to the standard) and eSATA won't be much good at anything other than driving a hard drive... I don't think USB, firewire, or eSATA are going anywhere.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    DigDug2000 wrote: »

I find it hard to believe that either of those applications actually accounts for "lots" of people. It'd be interesting to see stats on how many Mac users do. Its gotta be lower than the number of people who have monitors with vga adaptors or express cards for their laptops.

You're not looking at this the right way. It's not what portion of Mac users, it's what portion of professional Mac users need firewire. The MacBook Pro is targetted towards people who are using their laptops for things like design work (needing to work on large images stored on a firewire hard drive, or use a firewire hard drive as a photoshop scratch disk), people doing pro audio work (external audio interfaces running over USB can't touch the ones designed for firewire), that sort of thing. Firewire is extremely relevant to anyone who currently owns a MacBook Pro and would be looking at upgrading it.

Yeah, it's not very popular at all in the consumer world, but that doesn't matter. Apple can't alienate people with thousands of dollars of gear that requires a firewire interface.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I've been thinking about an iPod Touch, but I've been holding off because I know they often put upgrades from the new iPhones into the Touches soon after (or I guess they did it once, since there are only 2 generations). How likely is that with this most recent iPhone? From what I understand, the new iPhone is the same on the outside with new gear inside. Are we likely to get a new/upgraded version of the Touch soon? My 5G iPod is on its last legs, I'm trying to revive it as we speak.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    We're well overdue for an update to the iPod line. I'm also almost certain I've seen Apple announce new iPods right after the back to school promo ends (as in, they use it to empty the warehouses of iPods that they're about to obsolete), which makes sense, as that's right at the start of the Christmas buying season.

I'd bet they're going to update the iPod line by October, end of October at the latest. Might not be too much in the way of outer physical differences, but the new iPhone is capable of OpenGL ES 2.0, the current iPhone and iPod Touches cannot handle that. The only real point to supporting that is enhanced 3D gaming. I'd expect a more powerful and potentially larger (more GBs, not physically) iPod Touch this fall.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good point - I forgot about the free college giveaway. I'll try and hold off until then - even if the upgrades aren't that substantial, they'll still drive down prices of the current models.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, the back to school promo actually started like a month ago this year, which I think is earlier than usual, too.

So, definitely something to consider. It'll run until like the end of September though.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Actually, it ends Sept 8th. As far as the Nano, it's been consistently updated every september like clockwork so far. The Touch, like has been mentioned, will likely be updated sometime between early september and end of october. The shuffle and classic aren't worth mentioning. =p

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Psh, the Shuffle just got an "update," and the upgrades the Classic gets are just going to be bigger hard drives until the thing is like 5 TB huge and the commercials are like "5 MEELLION SONGS IN YOUR POCKET" and the Zune commercials are like "It costs $5 MEELLION to fill up an iPod!"...

what was I talking about?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This is the thing, though.

The iPod Touch is really nifty as anything BUT a music player. The music playing on one is vastly inferior to my 5.5G iPod Classic. Yes, I own both. There are a lot of really odd and inconvenient things about the UI that the Classic gets right, and here's my other beef: There's NO excuse on a touch screen device with a screen that large to not be able to toggle repeat or shuffle without backing all the way out to the main menu and then into a settings menu and then back into your albums/playlists.

I still like the Classic for most things. Except jogging with one on surfaces that are not treadmills.

Pheezer on
This discussion has been closed.