As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apple 2009 WWDC Keynote

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone have a recommendation for an external hard drive to use with Time Machine? I have FW800 so I'd like something equipped with that, and the size of my internal drive is 1Tb if that matters.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any external 1tb drive that supports FireWire 800 would fit the bill. Just check and make sure whatever drive you choose supports sleep so the drive doesn't keep spinning all day. Some cheaper enclosures don't support this. You can use a smaller drive if you want but you would have to exclude some of your files from time machine.

lilB on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wouldn't mind upgrading from my 2G, but they want $499 to upgrade to the 32gig 3Gs with an all new 2 year contract. Fuck that noise. I'll just hold off and wait for the standard upgrade I qualify for a year from now. Hopefully there'll be an even newer model then.

Do the companies just not care once they have you roped in? Why are new customers getting their phones for $200 cheaper than I?

Esh on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy crap. Boot Camp'd and playing with Safari 4 at the moment... and jeezebus this thing's fast.

I may end up switching completely from Firefox to it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    Do the companies just not care once they have you roped in? Why are new customers getting their phones for $200 cheaper than I?

Because new customers don't already pay AT&T a monthly subscription fee. Handsets are just bait for the subscription fee trap for cellphone companies.

Is 3.0 going to enable video recording for the current 3G handset? It's touted as a feature of the 3G S but as I understood it, the camera currently built into the 3G is capable of video with jailbreaking so I would expect the 3.0 OS to include that feature whichever handset it was on.

Eh, the 3G S isn't really enticing me. Largely, it seems to have been designed to placate people who hated the camera on the iPhone which is the feature I care least about. Faster processor and longer battery life are nice, but I don't feel restricted enough by the current performance of either to care about upgrading.

I mean, if I was buying new then yeah, the 3G S would be a no-brainer (if only because they don't seem to be including the headphone remote with the 3G any more) but for upgrading I'm not really sold. The 2G -> 3G was a big leap with the added GPS etc. but I'm not exactly feeling jealous of all the soon-to-be 3G S owners.

I will wait and see if Orange start offering an iPhone package once the exclusivity contract runs out and then consider switching contract.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    So nobody thought the Snow Leopard stuff was interesting?

I was a bit confused as to the whole deal with 64 bit. It was my understanding that OSX was already 64 bit from top to bottom. Guess I was incorrect.

My cousin just got an older Mac. It's second hand though, so I hope he can get in on that 30 dollar deal. He needs an OS disc badly.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    LightRider wrote: »
    So nobody thought the Snow Leopard stuff was interesting?

At the rate my work updates operating systems, looking at OSX specs is like reading Sci-Fi. Using Snow Leopard before I retire and teleporting to a holodeck to eat replicated chocolate spread off a simulation of a hot alien chick are two things I'm never going to experience.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They still have you using Rosetta eh?

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah, RE: Exchange support.

I know a lot of people in my local university helpdesk that will soon be banging their heads on the desk.

LightRider on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    are there like, family plans for the iphone
    how much are they?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    LightRider wrote: »
    They still have you using Rosetta eh?

Hah. That would necessitate having intel macs. We're all still running on PowerPC hardware. Shit, most of our hardware started it's life running OS 8.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Some of our labs are still running on DOS 5...

You lucky GUI user.

LightRider on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    are there like, family plans for the iphone
    how much are they?

the same as regular family plans :P

I think they start at 50.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh dang
    i bet i could convince my parents into 99$ iphones for all

but apparently att isn't supporting some of the new stuff yet? what the hell is that

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My wife and I both have iPhones with unlimited data plans and unlimited texting for both of us and it runs 160 a month. But we use the actual phone portion so little we only get 450 minutes to share between us a month. To illustrate how little we use our phones for talking, we have 2500 rollover minutes at this time.

God I want a 3Gs, and there's a guy at work willing to buy my old iphone for 100 bucks.

Sucker.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wonderboy, you're on a family plan right?

And using unlimited family texting right?

Just want to make sure you arent wasting 10$.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    we have 7000 rollover minutes or so at the moment
    it was the least we could get too

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I have so many damn rollover minutes.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    Wonderboy, you're on a family plan right?

And using unlimited family texting right?

Just want to make sure you arent wasting 10$.
    Yes. It is a great deal, too. Well, considering it's still a rip-off to pay for texts while also paying for an unlimited data plan.

Basically we pay 80 bucks each. 70, which is the very basic 450 minutes with unlimited data, plus 10 each for the unlimited texting a month. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    isnt the 450 only for individual plans? I thought the lowest family plan was 550.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So yeah, just checked my contract and I'm locked in until January 2010. By then, I guess I'll wait until the summer and see what happens with new hardware and/or other cell networks picking up the iPhone. Even if I can get a free upgrade or even upgrade to a 16Gb 3Gs for less than £100 I could stomach that in a years time (current pricing on the 3G with O2 suggests this might be possible). If I manage to leap-frog the 3Gs handset and upgrade to something better, that'd be even better.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wouldn't mind upgrading from my 2G, but they want $499 to upgrade to the 32gig 3Gs with an all new 2 year contract. Fuck that noise. I'll just hold off and wait for the standard upgrade I qualify for a year from now. Hopefully there'll be an even newer model then.

I didn't see this before but, if you had purchased any other phone, say the RAZR, and then the RAZR 3GS came out a year later, you wouldn't be getting a discount on it. You'd pay full price. Apple customers aren't special in this regard even though they were treated as such with the last launch (which was stupid to begin with).

the iphone without a contract is 600 bucks. AT&T eats a chunk of that price to sign you up to a long term contract, which will net them more money in the long run. The reason new customers get it cheaper is because they are paying that subsidized price which is mitigated over the course of the contract.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I didn't see this before but, if you had purchased any other phone, say the RAZR, and then the RAZR 3GS came out a year later, you wouldn't be getting a discount on it. You'd pay full price. Apple customers aren't special in this regard even though they were treated as such with the last launch (which was stupid to begin with).

the iphone without a contract is 600 bucks. AT&T eats a chunk of that price to sign you up to a long term contract, which will net them more money in the long run. The reason new customers get it cheaper is because they are paying that subsidized price which is mitigated over the course of the contract.

Usually you can get that subsidised price on an upgrade if you've come to the end of your contract duration though (because basically otherwise you could just cancel contract -> open new contract anyway). It becomes an incentive to renew your contract for another fixed period. At least, that's how it works in the UK anyway.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    AT&T has two year (22 month) contracts, so you are only eligible for a complete subsidized price after either 12 months or something like 18 or 19 months depending on what kind of account you have.

I have a FAN account (corporate discount) so I'm eligible for completely subsidized upgrades every year. Which is awesome.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Usually you can get that subsidised price on an upgrade if you've come to the end of your contract duration though (because basically otherwise you could just cancel contract -> open new contract anyway). It becomes an incentive to renew your contract for another fixed period. At least, that's how it works in the UK anyway.

Yea, here in Canada, at least with Bell, what happens is that you start to build up a credit to a new phone. Every few months it increases by $50 or so. The credit is then applied towards the full price of a phone, so if you stick around for the full contract you end up with a credit high enough where you usually pay the subsidized price of the phone, and if you're impaitent and want a new phone, you can get at least some discount on it.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can someone do me a favour and drive over to Apple and tell them to stop making neat stuff I want to try.

I can't afford your sexy macs!

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The new Macbook Pros still aren't at retail stores. Apple really needs to provide some way to check item stock. I was on hold for over an hour while calling the closest Apple Store just to ask "Do you have the new 13" MBP?", of course, they did not.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love the new, little things about Snow Leopard.
    More reliable disk eject.
    Sometimes when an application or process is using the files on a drive, Mac OS X prevents you from ejecting it, but you don’t always know why. In Snow Leopard, you’ll get fewer of those errors and when you do get them, you’ll see exactly which application is using the drive, so you can quit it and eject the drive properly.

Easy PDF text selection.
    When using a PDF viewer such as Preview, have you ever tried to copy text from a PDF document that has more than one column? It’s almost impossible. Instead of selecting only the text you want, your cursor selects all the text across the page, so you end up with a mix of words from every column.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard applies sophisticated artificial intelligence algorithms to fix the problem. It analyzes the layout of each page in the PDF to identify columns of text. So when you use the cursor to select text, you get only the words you want. That’s a real time-saver.

QuickTime X further increases efficiency by supporting GPU-accelerated video decoding of H.264 files.

Shutting down is up to 75 percent faster, saving precious moments when you’re trying to head home or to the airport. And joining wireless networks is up to 55 percent faster.

I feel bad for marketing having to try so hard to make these things seem cool, but they ARE cool and they are very important to me. I open and shut my computer a lot, and turning 4 seconds into 2 before I can get online will make me like the machine more.

Native support for GPU H.264 has been a long time coming and I'm glad they finally got around to it.

The PDF thing pisses me off frequently. Eject is annoying on every OS, I'm glad they fixed it.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thing about snow leopard that excites me most is the 6GB of hard drive space I'll get back. I've been coasting at 10GB free forever, and my MacBook Pro is so slow and pages all the goddamn time (now I wish I'd upgraded to 3GB instead of 2GB RAM - who would have thought, if I could survive with 1 GB, that 2 would quickly become nowhere near enough?) Ugh, september is too far away.

Also, the release version of Safari 4 is great. Very fast. Still won't automatically restore my session on startup and if I forget to do it manually, well that just sucks, but I guess you can't expect Apple to provide every feature ubiquitous to other, more useful, browsers.

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like Safaristand still works. Still, I have always the stability of these third party hack solutions to be a bit suspect.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder how the GPU-accelerated decoding thing will work. I assume that'll only work on models with a dedicated card, and not on the integrated-Intel machines?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just hope Perian still works.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    man, the only thing that sucks about getting an iphone for me is the paying for seprate messaging pakcages

every other carrier gives you a bunch/unlimited for less/equal to your plan without the att

the original iphone plan was so good too

ronzo on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know. I was helping my sister find ways to lower her cell bill on Verizon and I thought their packages were worse than ATTs. Of course it depends entirely on how many you use a month since the $5 for 200 msg works perfectly for me. Also the original iPhone plan was exactly the same as the 3g plans as far as messaging goes.

theantipop on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    theantipop wrote: »
    I don't know. I was helping my sister find ways to lower her cell bill on Verizon and I thought their packages were worse than ATTs. Of course it depends entirely on how many you use a month since the $5 for 200 msg works perfectly for me. Also the original iPhone plan was exactly the same as the 3g plans as far as messaging goes.

Red'd for lies.

The original iPhone plan had I believe 200(maybe 500) messages/month for free.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think it was actually 400

although that could be a blackberry plan...

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nope, it was 200.

Damn kids and their new fangled technology.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For once, Canada wins.

http://twitter.com/keithmcarthur

"Both Rogers Wireless and Fido will offer iPhone 3GS starting June 19."

"Rogers is reintroducing the $30/6GB data plan for iPhones effective tomorrow, June 9. Offer available for a limited time."

"Rogers/Fido pricing is $199 for 16GB iPhone 3GS; $299 for 32GB iPhone 3GS on a three-year voice and data plan."

"8GB version of the iPhone 3G will drop to $99 on June 19 at Rogers and Fido with a three-year voice and data plan."

"Tethering is included free in data plans over 1GB or more until at least the end of the year."

Aside from the stupid three-year bullshit, that's pretty goddamn decent.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

"If you purchased a qualifying Mac on or after June 8, 2009, that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade for $9.95."

I didn't see that mentioned here or anywhere else, but that's another plus. I was ready and willing to pay $30 to upgrade after I pick up my MBP this week, but now it's going to be even less.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ouch, 3 year contract huh.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

"If you purchased a qualifying Mac on or after June 8, 2009, that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade for $9.95."

I didn't see that mentioned here or anywhere else, but that's another plus. I was ready and willing to pay $30 to upgrade after I pick up my MBP this week, but now it's going to be even less.

i said something about it midpost earlier during the thread but it got lost in the shuffle

and honestly, if snow leopard is like safari 4 in terms of how nice it makes everything, it's going to be awesome

ronzo on
This discussion has been closed.