As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What I learned from video games.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that if you are ever in a situation where you have to kill a swarm of enemies and one is really powerful, you should usually try and kill all the weaker attackers first and then concentrate on the stronger one. However, if you notice that after killing one of the weaker opponents that he is soon thereafter resurrected, its probably the case that the main guy did this and now you will have to kill him first. If not you're just going to have to kill the same dudes over and over again, and that could get tiresome rather quickly.

Also, waterfalls almost always hide something and if you can somehow slow the flow of water or push through the current there will probably be a cove of treasure or some secret area waiting for you. This is something that I can say with absolute certainty after playing a number of adventure games.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I learned that war never changes.

I learned that war has changed.

That kind of sharp disagreement of ideologies calls for WAR!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

That kind of sharp disagreement of ideologies calls for WAR!

It also calls for a hilarious gif and ytmnd

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    half life 2 taught me that all a man really needs in this world is a crowbar.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oftentimes small walls that reach about waist high and chain link fences are simply impossible to scale. An unexpected detour ranging anywhere from 15-45 minutes is often required to get to where you wanted to go.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I aced every geography test in high school thanks to strategy games like Total War and Hearts of Iron.

bamjo on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Between some of the fluff dialogue and the manual for Fallout 1, I did learn some stuff about nuclear weapons (for example, nuclear bombs don't just vaporize stuff, they still have a blast wave like conventional explosions. Duck and cover doesn't protect you from ground zero effects or radiation, but it can keep you from getting impaled by shrapnel from exploding windows) and outdoors survival (be aware of a water source untouched by animals, it could be poisonous).

Jagged Alliance 2 gave me my first bits of insight into the different weapon standards between NATO and old Warsaw Pact nations.

And of course there's Civ. Others have mentioned history, but I was already familiar with much of that by the time I was introduced to the game. However, it seems that in some circles of academia the hot thing is the theory that some civilizations advanced and conquered based on the crops and animal resources initially available to them. Books have been written on the subject long after gamers discovered that not having horses while your neighbors do is a quick way to get overrun by horsemen and knights.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Even though I've never owned an AK-47, I think I know how to quickly and properly reload one.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1. I learned that you CAN get your money back after killing a hooker....
    ...and your wanted level rises to 4.
    2. I learned that you can be the biggest mild-mannered pussy in the world and still get the girl. Thus, we have the metrosexual living among us.
    3. I learned that I can do a forward roll and not get hurt by fireballs.
    4. I learned that a 10-ton metal deconstructing robot can't hurt me when I have a spiky shield with a skull on it.

In all honesty, what I really learned is that I took the M-16 for granted. My first few experiences with them weren't impressive due to the shoddy condition they were in. However, when I finally got one that was properly cared for, it was magical.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that the cake is a lie.
    This thread makes me smile.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned how to identify Russian made vehicles from playing Desert Combat.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can never kill all the monsters.

edit: most rpgs

joshgotro on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I"ve learned to be extra observant when driving/working/playing. Thank you racing games/FPSes. You've saved me from 4 speeding tickets!

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In chronological order:

-X-COM taught me about tactics.

-EverQuest taught me about teamwork.

-The Incredible Machine taught me about innovation.

-Starcraft taught me about coordination.

-Thief taught me about improvisation.

-Company of Heroes taught me about adaptation.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I learned that war has never been so much fun.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've learned a fair amount of vocabulary from various games.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MarioG wrote: »
    I learned that the cake is a lie.

The_Cake_Is_A_Liar7n8Detail.jpg

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Who here has learned that they're actually closeted sadists who pick on Sims and feed disobedient villagers to giant animals?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Has no one here played The Incredible Machine or Gizmos and Gadgets?
    Our elementary school GT Program essentially gave me two days a week to play with LEGO Technix and these two games. As a result, I dropped behind in Math and History -.- BUT can dissect things by looking at them.
    *edit* VeritasVR seems to know what Incredible Machine was about ^^

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scabies wrote: »

Part of the reason I became an enginemawhatsit. :rotate:

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Shoot, where to begin.

Well, outpost 2 taught me a great deal about basic scientific concepts and what certain fields are for. I mean, I knew a bit about what magnetohydrodynamics was back when I was a kid all due to outpost 2. That's awesome.

Car games like Carmageddon ( :D ), midtown madness, etc taught me a decent amount about how vehicles handle. I think this made driving my car for the first time a hell of a lot easier, especially since I had a steering wheel & pedals for some of those games. :P

All the shooter games like doom, quake, half life, etc improved my 3D spacial perception skills, so I can stay oriented and know where I was and where I'm going fairly easily now. This includes in tricky situations like in submarines, driving around in the bad part of town, going into a super walmart, etc.

Games like grand theft auto 3 and so on have made it much easier for me to build and memorize maps in my head, such that now I immediately resort to looking at any new/unfamiliar routes on google maps and keep an eye out for alternate routes, etc so I know where I'm going and don't get lost.

Superpower 2 (what a mediocre game that was) taught me a hell of a lot about global geography. I love it when some of those questions pop up on Jeopardy and all the respondents just come up with completely idiotic answers.

I also know a hell of a lot about military hardware and vehicles through the combined efforts of various shooter games and especially the Operation Flashpoint/Armed Assault series of games.

It's really fun to think about all the crazy random knowledge you pick up playing video games. Of all the ones I've mentioned so far I'd probably say that Outpost 2 I liked the most because a lot of what I was doing actually felt like Science, proper.

Mindstorm on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Videogames taught me the English language. I started out translating game manuals with a dictionary.

Many of my friends are like this, but I have better grammar and spelling than them because I actually take this subject very seriously.

RockinX on
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned how to type from old Sierra PC games.
    I was going to say this... especially the original King's Quest engine Sierra adventures where it didn't pause when you started typing. You had to be pretty quick.

T-bolt on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Our elementary school GT Program essentially gave me two days a week to play with LEGO Technix and these two games. As a result, I dropped behind in Math and History -.- BUT can dissect things by looking at them.

Seriously. Between that game and tetris my spatial reasoning is fucking awesome and i can deduce how stuff works by looking at it

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i learned that blue wizard needs food badly. And possibly red archer.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    ScabiesScabies The InternetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OH, not to mention something I still do today:
    You buy something new
    YOU DO NOT LOSE THE MANUAL (in many cases, the box as well)

I'm waiting for the day my PS3 locks up and says "what was the third movie listed on the Blu Ray promotional offer in your 20gb Talladega Nights bundle?"

Scabies on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobMJacobM Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mythology from Final Fantasy. I mean, seriously. Every monster in that game is part of either a fantasy book, Indian Mythology, Norse Mythology, Chinese Mythology, Japanese Mythology, Greek Mythology, and on and on...

If it weren't for them I'd never have known who Fenrir, Shiva, or Ifrit were.

Oh, also, if you have two paths to choose from, pick the one that seems like it will come to a dead end and explore it first. You find more health that way.

JacobM on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In a roundabout way, I learned how to program in basic at 7 years old from copying code snippets in magazines and then changing one variable and seeing how it changed the game.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Typing from those typing aides, money management from The Sims, and of course hand eye coordination from various FPSes.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The old Sierra adventure games taught me how to type (and save often in multiple files)
    Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike then taught me how to touch type to avoid getting my head blown off for being a chatty bitch
    Gran Turismo also taught me how to drive a car fast (braking distances, corner apexes all that nice stuff)

also Leisure Suit Larry taught me to always wear a rubber if you don't want your junk to explode while you're walking down the street

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    also Leisure Suit Larry taught me to always wear a rubber if you don't want your junk to explode while you're walking down the street
    Darnit, I was just about to post that.

I also picked up a few bits and pieces of Norse, Shinto and Hindu mythology, as well as general history.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Persona 3's religious studies teacher taught me a lot about other religions, namely how some aspects of them are warped for use in opposing religions.

And you can learn about all kinds of mythology from just about any SMT game, really.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I remember playing a game that was pretty much a cross between The Incredible Machine and LabVIEW. I can't remember what it was called, though.

Video games taught me that being mean to people can be amusing for about a half hour, while being nice to them rarely stops feeling good.

jothki on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    T-bolt wrote: »
    I was going to say this... especially the original King's Quest engine Sierra adventures where it didn't pause when you started typing. You had to be pretty quick.

Good lord people. I learned to type by 'playing' DOS prompt.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 and any others with a substantial mod community have taught me the one truth of life: that the extrordinarily vast majority of people are brainless, talentless hacks who could be wiped out and the world would be better for it.

EDIT: And Odell Lake taught me the meaning of the word "angler".

EDIT: And Stalker Oblivion Lost taught me the extrordinary importance of ironsight aiming when using any kind of gun. On the other hand it also means that whenever I have to shoot from the hip in a game it drives me maaaaad.

EDIT: And ammo conservation. And a smidge of russian.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned how to play both Baseball and Football. Well, the rules and whatnot.. I cannot fathom actually playing these sports, I'd die..

Actually I could probably be an ok DH

Also: People tend to hide their money/gems in tall grass.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I used to write stories on DOS prompt as a kid, and felt so invalidated after hitting "Enter" to see "Bad Command or File Name". D:

Dunxco on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dunxco wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

I used to write stories on DOS prompt as a kid, and felt so invalidated after hitting "Enter" to see "Bad Command or File Name". D:

Yes I did this too. And this was a wayyy old version of DOS which allowed you like 30 characters. Still took me like an hour. I called it Black Story Thing.

Edit: Because of the black screen, not... oh you know.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    JRPGs taught me a lot of vocabulary as a kid. And recently I've learned a lot about mythology and obscure religions from the SMT games, due to all the well researched demon bios.

Its kind of weird seeing a name like Take-Mikazuchi and instantly remembering his role in Japanese mythology.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Video games taught me that being mean to people can be amusing for about a half hour, while being nice to them rarely stops feeling good.

Especially when being nice gets you more money and experience points?

I'm not one of those crazy people who thinks society is a big conspiracy or anything, but really, these games are designed to reward nice more than naughty. In an ideal world we all really would gain more from being polite than from being ruthless, but this is not always true in real life.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky