As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avatar: The Last Airbender—best show in the universe

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, the ruler of the Northern Water Tribe has only done bit parts... but the Earth King has been Green Lantern, Hermes Conrad, and well, just about every black guy in any animated show or video game ever.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ha! The sister I already started watched disc 2 of book 1 today. Said it was "getting interesting".

She really liked Haru's father's line when he was dumping George Takei's warden character off the rig:

"Don't worry. I hear cowards float."

Shadowen on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I started watching this earlier this week. I'm around 6 episodes in. It's pretty decent so far. Not really feeling the "best show ever" that everybody else says it is, but I'll keep watching it.

So far, they seem to be roaming aimlessly. I'm not really sure what they're doing. I thought they were eventually going to try to learn more powers or something, but they just left the most powerful earth bender in the world and didn't even ask about training for Aang (or apparently even supplies).

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "Greatest show in the universe" comes with a small disclaimer about not hitting its stride until the last quarter of the first season. Up to that point, it's merely really good.
    Regarding training:
    OK, that guy? Not the most powerful earthbender in the world, by a significant margin. Also, the avatar has to learn the elements in order for some reason. IIRC, he hasn't even really got the hang of waterbending by that point, never mind mastered it.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I started watching this earlier this week. I'm around 6 episodes in. It's pretty decent so far. Not really feeling the "best show ever" that everybody else says it is, but I'll keep watching it.
    Yeah, it gets better. Peaks at end of season 2, but is still very good afterwards.
    So far, they seem to be roaming aimlessly. I'm not really sure what they're doing. I thought they were eventually going to try to learn more powers or something, but they just left the most powerful earth bender in the world and didn't even ask about training for Aang (or apparently even supplies).
    I'm not sure if it's made explicit at this point, but Aang needs to learn the elements in a certain order: water, earth, then fire. (A later episode actually addresses the drawback of learning them out of order).

In terms of supplies ... the show lies somewhere between the new Battlestar Galactica and Dragonball Z in terms of "realism." So, yeah, not as much focus on logistics in the show. But at least the heroes don't walk around all the time in full plate armor without getting tired or having their jumping abilities diminished....

Qingu on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, Bumi is definitely one of the most powerful earthbenders, but he does say in a later ep I think that it isn't for him to teach Aang.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, Bumi is definitely one of the most powerful earthbenders, but he does say in a later ep I think that it isn't for him to teach Aang.
    Well, he said it wasn't for him to teach Aang while noting that he was currently imprisoned in a Fire Nation-occupied city. I don't think he was saying Toph was a better earthbender than him and thus should teach Aang; I think he was saying that, you know, circumstances aren't exactly the best right now for me to teach you.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Well, he said it wasn't for him to teach Aang while noting that he was currently imprisoned in a Fire Nation-occupied city. I don't think he was saying Toph was a better earthbender than him and thus should teach Aang; I think he was saying that, you know, circumstances aren't exactly the best right now for me to teach you.
    To be fair, he'd all but escaped using only his face to bend with. They were just sitting there talking. He chose to stay so he could be with his people. And it's not necessarily that Toph is more powerful (she may someday be) but is definitely very skilled, and I think he thought Aang might benefit from her unique style.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To be fair, he'd all but escaped using only his face to bend with. They were just sitting there talking. He chose to stay so he could be with his people. And it's not necessarily that Toph is more powerful (she may someday be) but is definitely very skilled, and I think he thought Aang might benefit from her unique style.
    Also, it is a children's show and having a slightly creepy old guy hanging around with a 16yr-old, his 14yr-old sister, and her 12yr-old boyfriend would probably raise a few hackles here and there... Especially when you could have them hanging around with a slightly creepy ten-year-old instead...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Toph is the GREATEST EARTHBENDER IN THE WORLD! She will encase your butt in a METAL BOX! And you will have to pee!

Tach on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Toph is the GREATEST EARTHBENDER IN THE WORLD! She will encase your butt in a METAL BOX! And you will have to pee!
    I didn't say she wasn't the greatest, just not the most powerful. Bumi is like, the big bruiser, whereas Toph is the deft skillfighter. I'm sure if she lived to be 110 she be even more terrifying than Bumi.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I didn't say she wasn't the greatest, just not the most powerful. Bumi is like, the big bruiser, whereas Toph is the deft skillfighter. I'm sure if she lived to be 110 she be even more terrifying than Bumi.
    I like to imagine a 110 year old Toph to be the exact same height and weight, only wrinklier

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I like to imagine a 110 year old Toph to be the exact same height and weight, only wrinklier
    In the intervening years Katara was able to find a way to cure her blindness. 15 years later she developed severe cataracts.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    In the intervening years Katara was able to find a way to cure her blindness. 15 years later she developed severe cataracts.
    Which she never stops yelling at Katara for.

"Thanks for restoring my sight, Katara -- OH WAIT"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Which she never stops yelling at Katara for.

"Thanks for restoring my sight, Katara -- OH WAIT"
    That was as hilarious as any genuine Avatar moment. you guys make me so sad that that series is done.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh god I have spawned an enormous spoiler tree :O

mrflippy on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jingle Bells was right, the Joker did get away.

Kinda.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Yeah, it gets better. Peaks at end of season 2, but is still very good afterwards.
    I'm not sure if it's made explicit at this point, but Aang needs to learn the elements in a certain order: water, earth, then fire. (A later episode actually addresses the drawback of learning them out of order).

In terms of supplies ... the show lies somewhere between the new Battlestar Galactica and Dragonball Z in terms of "realism." So, yeah, not as much focus on logistics in the show. But at least the heroes don't walk around all the time in full plate armor without getting tired or having their jumping abilities diminished....
    I think Avatar is one of those shows that has to be seen all the way and judged as a whole. I mean some of it is down right ridiculous and some is so utterly dark that you just have to judge it as a whole.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bumi probably did give them supplies. But look at Appa. He probably eats his body-weight in food every day. Which is not something he can carry while flying. You probably can't fit more than a couple of days rations for the gang on him anyway.

So they are perpetually running out of supplies.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The real reason Avatar really seems to wander early on is that Aang doesn't want to face his past failure of running away so he's doing everything he can to not actually become the true Avatar. They deal with that at the end of season one, even though it still lingers throughout the rest of the show.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You guys know about season 4 right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiUtbcpjd8A

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Begone with ye, shipper.

Falx on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm no shipper, but I thought it was amusing the first time I saw it. I thought while watching the series and hearing about the ridiculous ship to ship combat that it was amusing how the writers seemed to know about it and provoke it further, fanning the proverbial flames.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just saw a preview for a james cameron film, ALSO called avatar.

They use a font for their advertising that looks stupidly similar to that used for the main titles of the avatar we know and love.

that being said, movie still looks pretty cool.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    Begone with ye, shipper.

Apparently shippers find that video offensive.
    And probably the actual series too...

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    Begone with ye, shipper.

As far as I can tell, there are two kinds of shippers. There are the kind that see two (or more? D: ) characters interacting and go "well, that'd be kind of neat to see them in a relationship" but don't actually do anything beyond that.

And then there are the kind that write 30,000 word 'epic fanfiction' all about that relationship, insist that it IS GOING TO HAPPEN, that it MUST happen, and that if it DOES NOT happen, the creators of the show CHANGED what was going to happen as a personal slight to the fans of that relationship.

So...basically there's normal people that like slightly odd things and then there's crazy people.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I'm no shipper, but I thought it was amusing the first time I saw it. I thought while watching the series and hearing about the ridiculous ship to ship combat that it was amusing how the writers seemed to know about it and provoke it further, fanning the proverbial flames.
    The writers were surprisingly aware of people's opinions. They apparently also got a lot of suggestions for Aang to start picking up powerful armor/weapons which resulted in the air sword scene.

Quid on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Begone with ye, shipper.

As far as I can tell, there are two kinds of shippers. There are the kind that see two (or more? D: ) characters interacting and go "well, that'd be kind of neat to see them in a relationship" but don't actually do anything beyond that.

And then there are the kind that write 30,000 word 'epic fanfiction' all about that relationship, insist that it IS GOING TO HAPPEN, that it MUST happen, and that if it DOES NOT happen, the creators of the show CHANGED what was going to happen as a personal slight to the fans of that relationship.

So...basically there's normal people that like slightly odd things and then there's crazy people.

You forgot the second catagory of people who just draw fanart and write fanfic about it.

Those people aren't crazy either.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Begone with ye, shipper.

You forgot the second catagory of people who just draw fanart and write fanfic about it.

What is slashfic? People have bringing it up in other threads around here.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Begone with ye, shipper.

:lol::lol::lol:
    :winky:
    D:

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I used to think slashfic referred to any kind of fanfiction that involved a pairing like Harry/Hermione for Harry Potter. Apparently the wiki article says it refers to same-sex shipping like the infamous Kirk/Spock fanfics.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Begone with ye, shipper.

A fanfic for a male/male pairing (it can also refer to a female/female pairing, but that is generally referred to as femslash)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    I used to think slashfic referred to any kind of fanfiction that involved a pairing like Harry/Hermione for Harry Potter. Apparently the wiki article says it refers to same-sex shipping like the infamous Kirk/Spock fanfics.

A Kirk/Spock pairing makes a lot of sense.

Couscous on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does Spock gut Kirk with a Klingon knife? Where does the 'slash' come into play?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

A Kirk/Spock pairing would be logical.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

A Kirk/Spock pairing makes a lot of sense.

Kirk does become a woman due to alien magic at least once a month . . .

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does Spock gut Kirk with a Klingon knife? Where does the 'slash' come into play?

/

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The reason I became interested in Avatar sometime early this year wasn't the advice of someone I trust, the upcoming movie (lord no) or remembering that my old HTPC hard drive had every episode on it before I had to break it down.

It was the fact that the creators of the show had given birth to a hilarious shipping is silly bit.

Conversations, you really do always come back to the topic!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oddly enough, it was the same with me.

I'd seen the first few on TurboNick and was pretty ambivalent about it. I got back to it after watching that video.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A thought for the films.

I hope they take a cue from Watchmen and put any extraneous stuff they just couldn't fit into the DVDs as extras.

Okay, I'm pretty much just hoping this for season 2.

...okay, just for Tales of Ba Sing Se. But there would be almost no reason to include that in a feature film...and yet it would be a crime not to flim it.

Shadowen on
This discussion has been closed.