As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avatar: The Last Airbender—best show in the universe

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    ok i'll give my dumb thought on what you're saying.

they aren't blending elements. It's using your element, but using other techniques to implement it.

the lightning redirect is 100% firebending, but using the methods of water bending to execute a different manuver. still fire.

metal bending is just more of the same, but needing the understanding that metal is also earth. the meteor bending is more like earth bending with water techniques, as she can shape it in her hand however she wants. it's just that when she stops bending it, it instantly goes solid and stops moving.

sand bending's just airbending picking up dust. swampbending is just waterbending what you can't see (the water in the plants).

sandbending is earth

Toph learns to do it

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shadowen wrote: »
    sand bending's just airbending picking up dust.

...I think you're demonstrably wrong on that point, anyway.
    Also, Swamp bending was simply waterbending only utilizing the later implemented "Water is in all living things" technique. The swamp tribe still used normal waterbending.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited July 2009

they aren't blending elements. It's using your element, but using other techniques to implement it.

the lightning redirect is 100% firebending, but using the methods of water bending to execute a different manuver. still fire.

metal bending is just more of the same, but needing the understanding that metal is also earth. the meteor bending is more like earth bending with water techniques, as she can shape it in her hand however she wants. it's just that when she stops bending it, it instantly goes solid and stops moving.

sand bending's just airbending picking up dust. swampbending is just waterbending what you can't see (the water in the plants).

sandbending is earth

Toph learns to do it

Except the sandbenders were also bending air, making the little dervishes that powered their skiffs.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

sandbending is earth

Toph learns to do it

Except the sandbenders were also bending air, making the little dervishes that powered their skiffs.

Not really, earth benders can make huge boulders fly through the air. Bending sand to do the same thing wouldn't require any control over air.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

guuuuuuuuuuuuh duh last airbender. i'm being dumb.

sand benders spin sand around to move air. same principle as that metal ball put into a beaker then magnets spin the ball and thus stir the liquid inside.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If Aang and Katara have a child, which element can it bend? Whoever teaches it first?

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think it depends on if it's a Bender in the first place.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    If Aang and Katara have a child, which element can it bend? Whoever teaches it first?

The way I gather it, people are born with the ability to bend, and the element they bend is solely defined by the region they grow up in. Otherwise, you'd think there'd be firebenders in the Earth Nation, and waterbenders in the Fire Nation, etcetera.

The monk's didn't really seem to have a "nation" as it were, and we really didn't see any kind of family unit, making me think they collect young benders that show a predilection for air bending. Thus, Aang is the last airbender, but only until he starts rebuilding one of the air temples, and starts gathering students.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Several of the more intelligent characters (Iroh, Guru Pathik) say that the country is divided culturally, but they're really all one people. I assumed that bending was a combination of predilection (genetics) and personality. You can't be a Firebender unless you're driven, willful, and ambitious, for example. You can't be an Earthbender unless you're stubborn. Since the traits that make one a bender are often the ones encouraged in their respective nation, it happens that each nation got more of their own bender than the others. Eventually, benders moved to the place where their skills were most encouraged, and where the best teachers could be found, bottlenecking the bloodlines. Over the years, each nation grew more "pure" as the errant strains of bending were weeded out.

When you consider the large number of Firebenders in the Fire Nation Army, I think it's reasonable to assume that they can't all be from the rather small Fire Nation. If, however, the Fire Nation colonies place a higher emphasis on the personality traits that encourage Firebending, and the genetic strains re-enter the colonies' bloodlines (through the occupying soldiers settling down), then they could be drawing additional Firebender recruits from those colonies as well. If that is the case, it lends credence to Aang's children taking whichever style of bending is most promoted. Since it seems to manifest early, and Mommy tends to be more popular among young children than Daddy, my money would be on them manifesting Waterbending.

However, Aang might still be able to identify those with the disposition/personality for Airbending (like those people at the Northern Air Temple) and revive the tradition. As an isolated group like that interbreeds, long lost Airbending genetic strains would likely resurface. However, it would take several generations to see that happen, so Airbenders would probably be rather weak for several centuries.

I can't believe I've thought this much about this.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So are you saying that the first human benders who learned from animals were genetically primed to that particular bending? Or somehow bending was incorporated into their genetics after they learned it?

I guess in the general population, there could be a percentage with the potential for bending and then culture and personality decide what kind of bending they do.

Air Nomads, were, down to the last, all benders- attributed to their high degree of spirituality. So spirituality, is what, sort of mutagenic? Influences bending genetic code?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    So are you saying that the first human benders who learned from animals were genetically primed to that particular bending? Or somehow bending was incorporated into their genetics after they learned it?

I guess in the general population, there could be a percentage with the potential for bending and then culture and personality decide what kind of bending they do.

Air Nomads, were, down to the last, all benders- attributed to their high degree of spirituality. So spirituality, is what, sort of mutagenic? Influences bending genetic code?

To use a modern phrase, I don't think bending is exclusively nature or nurture, but some of both. This explains why everyone in, for example, the Fire Nation Royal Family can Firebend, but there may be one identical twin earthbender while the other isn't.

I can't speak for the airbenders, since we only get to know a single one and information on their culture is pretty limited. How do we know that Air Nomads could only be born airbenders? Is that said? Perhaps the Air Nomads who can't airbend merely departed from the temples and lived as nomads without flying around.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »

To use a modern phrase, I don't think bending is exclusively nature or nurture, but some of both. This explains why everyone in, for example, the Fire Nation Royal Family can Firebend, but there may be one identical twin earthbender while the other isn't.

I can't speak for the airbenders, since we only get to know a single one and information on their culture is pretty limited. How do we know that Air Nomads could only be born airbenders? Is that said? Perhaps the Air Nomads who can't airbend merely departed from the temples and lived as nomads without flying around.

Yep, it's part of the backstory though not mentioned in the series proper, I don't think. Plainly states that airbenders are all born benders due to the high spirituality of the culture- in as many words

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    In that case, perhaps spirituality (or whatever personality trait facilitates airbending) is so encouraged in their culture that you don't need the genetic disposition in order to airbend. As I said, it's not exclusively one or the other. Someone who isn't genetically predisposed might still have the right personality to develop bending, though it might not be as strong as someone who also has the genetics on their side.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    In that case, perhaps spirituality (or whatever personality trait facilitates airbending) is so encouraged in their culture that you don't need the genetic disposition in order to airbend. As I said, it's not exclusively one or the other. Someone who isn't genetically predisposed might still have the right personality to develop bending, though it might not be as strong as someone who also has the genetics on their side.

Right okay. We're talking about the same thing at this point- it can be a combination of factors.

It explains why Azula is so good at firebending- undoubtedly incredible genetics and the calm only sociopathy can give.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    a wizard did it

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    a lionturtle did it

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited July 2009

guuuuuuuuuuuuh duh last airbender. i'm being dumb.

sand benders spin sand around to move air. same principle as that metal ball put into a beaker then magnets spin the ball and thus stir the liquid inside.

Good point. And thus my brief foray into fictional supplementation ends in ignominious defeat.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yep, it's part of the backstory though not mentioned in the series proper, I don't think. Plainly states that airbenders are all born benders due to the high spirituality of the culture- in as many words
    It might also be a matter of necessity for some.

Living in the North or South Pole would be near impossible without being a Bender. Look at what happened when all the Benders were taken from the Southern tribe? It shrunk to the point where it's all animal skins. Weak ice walls, a crappy snow tower (built by Sokka, of course), and a primarily Hunter-Gather style. Meanwhile the North Pole has huge thriving cities with giant ice walls and towers, canals, etc.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I sort of assumed that Katara and Sokka were part of only a single little village that comprised one of many parts of the Southern Water Tribe. Otherwise, when Sokka claims that he's sort of like a prince of his tribe to Yue in the episode before the Season 1 finale, it would have been more or less true (his Dad is the warlord and there certainly appears to be no other governor in the tribe in his absence). By Katara's laughing and mocking him, I assumed he was making it up.

Your explanation makes more sense though, and it explains why the Fire Nation would want to kidnap Waterbenders in the first place.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The next "avatar universe" series (remember, its not gonna be aang, I think they said it would be in future) should go more indepth into what the situation is with the kingdom/nation/tribe ordeal and how it releates to how someone gets certain bending abilities.

InHuman on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wait, when did they say they were doing another show?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    george lucas already did it
    balance was already brought
    destinies were already fulfilled

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait, when did they say they were doing another show?

Remember hearing about a long time ago when they were explaining how fire was going to be the last book.

InHuman on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    InHuman wrote: »
    The next "avatar universe" series (remember, its not gonna be aang, I think they said it would be in future) should go more indepth into what the situation is with the kingdom/nation/tribe ordeal and how it releates to how someone gets certain bending abilities.
    george lucas already did it
    balance was already brought
    destinies were already fulfilled

Why does this sound like Star Wars: Episode 1, with the explanation of the Force

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Midibendians?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    They said they wanted to do specials explaining shit, but this was long before Nickelodeon decided they hated Avatar and wanted it to die a slow and painful death.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    this movie is indeed the best way to kill it

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah man it totally sucks.

Wait are we pretending we're in the future?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No... I'm not in the tiniest bit surprised Nick killed the "4th season show" as some have called it. I swear to good being a producer of any kind (or anything like it) must require hating money and success with a passion. They come up with these truly terrible reasons for not doing things... yet of course on the other hand, they still make money? Why? Because there is nothing else on TV. *Shrugs* They'd rather be safe and kinda rich than take a risk and maybe make a fuckton of money.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No... I'm not in the tiniest bit surprised Nick killed the "4th season show" as some have called it. I swear to good being a producer of any kind (or anything like it) must require hating money and success with a passion. They come up with these truly terrible reasons for not doing things... yet of course on the other hand, they still make money? Why? Because there is nothing else on TV. *Shrugs* They'd rather be safe and kinda rich than take a risk and maybe make a fuckton of money.

Well, there actually is a motivation to not do another season if you think like a bloodthirsty businessman. TV series tend to get more expensive to make as time goes on... the creators and actors get raises to encourage them to stay on board. Not to mention the mentality (at least in the past) has been to get enough episodes in the can to do a decent syndication run, then axe it. Then again the rise of DVD brings in revenue for each new season, and the Avatar sets seem to sell well. But I don't know if it's enough money to really sway the execs.

More likely, depressingly enough, is that the Nickelodeon execs lost their enthusiasm for the show for whatever reason and killed it (based on the show more or less vanishing from the airwaves before the finale), but the movie deal was too far in development to effectively kill without making waves.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wasn't it because Avatar skewed to a much older audience than Nick wanted? So even if the ratings were good, they weren't hiting their demos? That's what I remember hearing.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Wasn't it because Avatar skewed to a much older audience than Nick wanted? So even if the ratings were good, they weren't hiting their demos? That's what I remember hearing.

That could be a big part of it. Kids network execs tend to get pissed off if a show is more popular with older folk than with kids, since they're supposed to be selling ads to kids. Companies making ads geared for older folk don't generally want to jump onto, say, Nickelodeon for just one show.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

That could be a big part of it. Kids network execs tend to get pissed off if a show is more popular with older folk than with kids, since they're supposed to be selling ads to kids. Companies making ads geared for older folk don't generally want to jump onto, say, Nickelodeon for just one show.

*Hugs Invader Zim DVDs*

Now I have to start watching Avatar!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

*Hugs Invader Zim DVDs*

Now I have to start watching Avatar!

It's on netflix instant watch last I looked

they may have cut eps tho I'm not sure

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

But Nick didn't kill it. It was designed to be a three season show, and it ran for its planned three seasons. They had absolutely no plans to stretch it out further.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

But Nick didn't kill it. It was designed to be a three season show, and it ran for its planned three seasons. They had absolutely no plans to stretch it out further.
    They also had a bunch of specials planned, and I'm sure the huge fucking hiatus between episodes (especially season 3) kind of kill enthusiasm for the show.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's true they never killed a fourth season. They did try their damnedest to kill the show

The toys blew. The video games sucked. I don't recall there being much in the way of clothing that wasn't meant for 5 year olds( which given the show was meant for 8-12 year olds is a bit odd). Only the DVDs made money

Commerically Avatar wasn't well liked. The show was fine but Nickelodeon uses Spongebob as the basis for all it's childrens shows now and if it can't make money everywhere they ditch it or try their best to kill it.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm kind of surprised that no other group would be interested in the IP and buy if off Nick to keep making shows. I don't know how that kind of thing works; I'm assuming something like what ABC did with Scrubs and NBC. How's Cartoon Network doing these days? I'm not sure what demo's they're going for, since I only watch Boomerang for Justice League and Adult Swim occasionally.

But like I said, there's got to be some station that would be interested in making more episodes of Avatar, perhaps one that's targetting a different demographic or even one that's just not so interested in making lots of stupid toys.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm kind of surprised that no other group would be interested in the IP and buy if off Nick to keep making shows. I don't know how that kind of thing works; I'm assuming something like what ABC did with Scrubs and NBC. How's Cartoon Network doing these days? I'm not sure what demo's they're going for, since I only watch Boomerang for Justice League and Adult Swim occasionally.

But like I said, there's got to be some station that would be interested in making more episodes of Avatar, perhaps one that's targetting a different demographic or even one that's just not so interested in making lots of stupid toys.

Pretty sure Viacom owns the series outright. That being the case they wouldn't see the point in giving a competitor any amount profit for their IP.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Pretty sure Viacom owns the series outright. That being the case they wouldn't see the point in giving a competitor any amount profit for their IP.

Yeah, TV networks jealously guard their IP, even when they despise it and plan to never use it. Shows finding homes on new networks is more the exception than the rule.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
This discussion has been closed.