Options

Left 4 Dead I and II: New VS/Survival DLC announced

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The expert players will not be pleased if it gets changed too much.

If they add a new difficulty that goes between adv and exp, then all will be alright.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's a sequel. Change is the name of the game. If you want the same thing, you shouldn't buy a different game.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    then give me the maps as dlc, like i want.

also, change is good- new si are good, new weapons are good, but changing fundamental things like damage seems like an arbitrary insult to those of us who want to push ourselves to beat their games on the hardest settings allowed. Sure, we could edit the numbers but it wouldn't be the same.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    melee is the dividing line between saftey and dead on expert. Its an unfair gameplay element on versus, but its necessary on expert, especially considering that when you melee some infected it doesn't do anything because they're crouching, or they're hitting you, or because of lag, and now you have no health. Swinging like crazy isn't that effective in the long run since a hunter or smoker can still ruin you, especially when you move out of your safe spot.

edit: I wouldn't mind having rare medikit drops in expert. It'd be a better alternative to 'you're better off dying and respawning than finishing with that much hp' situations.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, considering the addition of the new special infected (esp the spitter interfering with corner-camping), I think it'd be at least as difficult even with slightly reduced infected damage (assuming they do that).

Arkan on
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

also, change is good- new si are good, new weapons are good, but changing fundamental things like damage seems like an arbitrary insult to those of us who want to push ourselves to beat their games on the hardest settings allowed. Sure, we could edit the numbers but it wouldn't be the same.

You're saying you want to push yourself to beat the games on the hardest settings, but you're also complaining that it looks like expert is going to be too hard?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »

You're saying you want to push yourself to beat the games on the hardest settings, but you're also complaining that it looks like expert is going to be too hard?

I was never complaining. I was stating that the odds seemed impossible. Which is a tempting thing to me. The seeming impossibility makes me want to try it and figure out how to own it.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    A noble cause. Go forth and fuck shit up.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i'm still hoping for an alternative to the tank for run-for-your-life moments and finales, or at least various breeds of tank with all sorts of horrible mutations, perhaps allowing them to stick to walls or leap short distances or grab someone and chew on them, with a tradeoff for less damage or health or something.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    That would be awesome in expert. For vs, people would complain that they got the "shitty tank for this spot." Though, it could be hilarious to get a wall climbing tank in a field.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like the charger.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That would be awesome in expert. For vs, people would complain that they got the "shitty tank for this spot." Though, it could be hilarious to get a wall climbing tank in a field.

I do still get freaked out in rare encounters with the tank. I think it's when we're in enclosed spaces with limited movement/narrow halls because we cannot necessarily try and trick the tank as easily. That and I really think it'd make for an awesome game if the Tank wasn't so loud and could also spawn behind you.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    it'd make for an awesome game if the Tank wasn't so loud and could also spawn behind you.

holy shit yes

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    I'd love a boss infected that was very quiet and sneaky and relied on being able to hound survivors across a large portion of the map - sort of like an uberhunter.

Arkan on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    gollum zombie eh

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Didn't I read somewhere the melee weapons don't have fatigue? I guess we'll just have somebody smacking the horde with a frying pan while everyone else rests and shoots.
    SOUNDS LIKE A WINNING PLAN TO ME

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Didn't I read somewhere the melee weapons don't have fatigue? I guess we'll just have somebody smacking the horde with a frying pan while everyone else rests and shoots.
    SOUNDS LIKE A WINNING PLAN TO ME

If they have a fatigue on regular melee there sure as hell should be one on the weapons.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    I think the melee weapons swing slower.

And you have to give up your pistol.

Arkan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You don't give up your pistol. It comes back if you drop the weapon or get incapped. That is how its shown on the recent videos.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd like more tank-breakable walls, seriously.

The outside section of Mercy Hospital in part 3 should be like converting a mansion to open plan the fun way.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    the offices in my campaign have some floor-to-ceiling windows that are tank-smashable

it's awesome, because until you get a tank there you can consider that glass unbreakable, and then the tank comes along and OH SHIT

LaCabra on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    the offices in my campaign have some floor-to-ceiling windows that are tank-smashable

it's awesome, because until you get a tank there you can consider that glass unbreakable, and then the tank comes along and OH SHIT

Awesome. I love tank and infected only smashable stuff. You think you're all safe and then BLAM zombies up the butt. Especially when you choose one as a safe camping spot.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Have you considered Tank-smashable floors? Is that even possible? I'm struck by some awesome ideas where it could be implemented. Imagine the cubicle maze part of DA 2. The tank music plays and the survivors start to spread out a bit. The tank runs after Lewis who yells "TAAAAAANK!" right as the floor is punched out below him. Now Lewis has to run back up, or everyone else jump down to stay grouped up.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Have you considered Tank-smashable floors? Is that even possible? I'm struck by some awesome ideas where it could be implemented. Imagine the cubicle maze part of DA 2. The tank music plays and the survivors start to spread out a bit. The tank runs after Lewis who yells "TAAAAAANK!" right as the floor is punched out below him. Now Lewis has to run back up, or everyone else jump down to stay grouped up.

Kind of but not really... From most of the messing around I've done with breakable walls, you can place them in the floors and ceilings. However, they work with vertical walls because you've taught the AI they can go through them, and when they get to it they punch it until it breaks away. When you try this with holes in the floor/ceiling, they don't often hit it. You'd think they'd kick down and break it, but for the most part they run around in circles. Basically, the AI has problems understanding how to break through the floor.

There are other triggers you can use other than damage to break the wall, such as on touch or with pressure, or after being triggered, but they don't often seem to work well either.

I'll go mess around with it again though, and see if I can get a version working.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If it is a wall that only works on vs, i think it'd be worth implimenting assuming the tank can easily reach it.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After fiddling with it a bit more, it still isn't optimal. For regular and special infected, I still can't convince them to punch out the breakable walls either below them or above them (not hitting the ceiling is a bit obvious because they can't reach). If you use some of the other triggers (on touch, on pressure, etc) it ruins the "only activated by infected" and gets set off once players walk over it.

For the purposes of a tank, it almost works. I was able to get AI tank that spawned on the floor above to punch down and drop down to their floor. He is also able to climb up a hole the height of the ceiling. Unfortunately, an AI tank doesn't do it reliably. It presents more problems in versus. A breakable wall can be walked through by ghost players, so while in spawn mode as special infected, you fall through a hole you didn't know was there and are forced to run back around. Similarly, a player run tank can't (as far as I can tell) climb up the massive height an AI tank could, so a player might be able to punch a hole in the ceiling, but he couldn't get up it. And all of these implementation assumed the director would choose to spawn and activate a tank on a separate floor than the survivors, which is rare.

So to wrap it up, in the first given example of a tank in the cubicle maze punching out the floor below the survivor, you'd have to have a lot of them to be effective (otherwise as a tank you'd just go punch the player), which would make a maze of holes for other ghost players. AI tanks on the same level wouldn't even bother with hitting the floor, and in most cases it wouldn't even be that effective in versus. If you as a tank fell in the hole you made, you'd be separated from the players you were trying to hunt. For the interesting idea of a tank busting through either the floor or the ceiling, both depend on the rare instance of the director activating a tank on a completely different floor.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The biggest problem would be the nav mesh - having the floor walkable by survivor bots without having them get hella confused when it goes away.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    That and I really think it'd make for an awesome game if the Tank wasn't so loud and could also spawn behind you.

Since common infected no longer spawn when tanks appear, outside of boomer vomit and crescendo events, a tank spawning behind the survivors would mean they can just run forward through the level.

NebulousQ on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dr tongue is a horrible person

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You're a horrible person

"who the fuck are Iron Maiden" my ass

:lol:

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    So yeah, Night Terror, while not the best map technically, is damn imaginative.

I really wish the SDK had come out sooner. We would have way more custom maps and a handful of them would probably have been truly amazing. Hopefully Left 4 Dead 2 sees a bunch of awesome community made stuff.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Man.

Lagnar, Veitsev, Rak and myself just played a game with some randoms who were pretty bad. On BH 3 they had THREE (3) tank spawns and a witch and they still didn't kill one of us. They died to the first tank near the log, and the log wasn't even used.

They started accusing us of hax (which wasn't entirely false, see above tank spawns) but they left when I showed them hax (which consisted of them having four tanks on the next level.

You just can't make some people happy.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thats happened far too often. Hmm yes, we're trying to even out the teams by giving you extra stuff to kill us, rather than using said h4x to practice with, you better ragequit. Because that makes all the sense in the world.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Man.

Lagnar, Veitsev, Rak and myself just played a game with some randoms who were pretty bad. On BH 3 they had THREE (3) tank spawns and a witch and they still didn't kill one of us. They died to the first tank near the log, and the log wasn't even used.

They started accusing us of hax (which wasn't entirely false, see above tank spawns) but they left when I showed them hax (which consisted of them having four tanks on the next level.

I can't believe i had to pass on that :(

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but in a new game play video of 2, they fight a Tank and it looks like they changed up the model a bit.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah they said they would be cleaning up the models again for L4d2.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    20 bucks the Hunter will be wearing a wife beater and Bermudas

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Man.

I can't believe i had to pass on that :(

The other couple of PA regs didn't stay very long. :(

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I played a completely standard L4D game. It's been maybe a month and I remember it was a co-op on a random server, and a drunk JonXP was there. The last fully legit one before that... I don't even know where to start.

ProTip: the more Mandalore you have the crazier it gets.
    I would include Raoul into the previous spoiler but he has the trump card in his hand.
    sm_slay@all ;)

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Completely Legitimate" as in not played on Raoul's server? Or as in not stomping?

By the way, LF3 for my "Play Through L4D2 on Launch" party.

and of course the stomp apres campaign.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Completely legit as in not using admin/console commands of some sort. It's always balanced to the pubs favor, or blatantly obvious, of course, And sometimes it's entirely visual.

Witch trees in the skybox are quite the amazing sight, as is the game show "dodge that minigun!"

Still waiting on the video from MrDelish of that...

Roland_tHTG on
This discussion has been closed.