Options

s1ckh4ndsb4ss & cloudeagle appreciation thread

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I'm going to get this Friday. No ifs ands or buts. My friend has been on a literal media blackout. No internet (she lives out in the sticks. WAAAAAY out in the sticks.) and she lost her TV several months ago. She has no idea this game even exists! But she loves Rock Band (it's what she got a 360 for). Hell, I just asked her if she liked The Beatles (she said yes) and if her RB Mic worked (again yes). And she has no idea whats in store for her.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Junior YankJunior Yank Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wish I could have gotten the 3 songs, but I hate the local Game Stop soooo much.

I preordered this game at my local Gamestop, which purportedly closes at 8 pm on weekdays. So after work today, I get off the train and walk over to the store to find that it's closed. At 7:30. What the fuck?

Since I work the same hours over the next couple of days, I'll have to pick up my copy when they open tomorrow, and then rush to get to work on time. Pain in the ass!

Well, I guess that I'll just take my business elsewhere, when I eventually buy one of those shiny new guitar controllers. By "eventually" I mean "hopefully very soon".

On the bright side, I picked up the remastered version of Abbey Road today, so there at least will be some sort of Beatles goodness going on inside my PS3. The plan is to buy one of them per week.

Junior Yank on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And they were really pressing the issue with some of the achievements. The HOPO ones can eat it.

I think those are really neat ideas, actually. I've only gotten the "Octopus's Garden" one, but I'm looking forward to trying to get the others.

And I haven't had any problems yet picking out what I'm supposed to be playing, though I guess it could potentially be an issue for those not familiar with the band?

Octopus's Garden was a breeze compared to the other two. Dear Prudence is agonising because the song itself is simply not nearly as hard to play if you don't worry about not strumming HOPOs. Dig A Pony is a breeze except for two bits toward the end and the HOPO trill that ends it. I'll get the third one eventually, I'm sure. I'm also fairly certain that the spread fret buttons of the LP aren't helping.

And while I wouldn't say I was intimately familiar with The Beatles catalogue (I knew or had heard, say, 95% of the on-disc tracks), with a minimum of two guitars and sometimes more tracked to one instrument... And organs/keyboards/horns/other stringed instruments charted to it, it can get confusing. Especially since they're all mixed together on the final playback. It'll really just be a matter of playing it a bit more to get it down, but the setup isn't helping.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh yeah, gonna need a mic stand and another mic as well.

*shoulders guitar" Comeon Nikki, we got us a gig to play...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there any real difference to Beatles Drums and the original, besides the looks? $250 is a lot, but I am trying to talk myself into it.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there any real difference to Beatles Drums and the original, besides the looks? $250 is a lot, but I am trying to talk myself into it.

I just said "fuck it" and opened mine, even though I was leaning towards returning it.

They're basically Rock Band 2 drums, which is a good thing, especially if all you currently have is the old Rock Band 1 set.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »

I just said "fuck it" and opened mine, even though I was leaning towards returning it.

They're basically Rock Band 2 drums, which is a good thing, especially if all you currently have is the old Rock Band 1 set.

Apparently, according to hands on reports from PAX, the pedal is 'heavier' and the pads provide more bounce.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, I got the game and I love it, but I have a question. It's about achievements, so I'll put it in spoilers just in case.
    I played through all the game, but I didn't get the Day Tripper achievement. I'm the only person in my band and I skipped the credits. Anything up here?

YardGnome on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, RB2 with instruments and a second guitar for $110 seemed like a good enough way to get into this. Probably gonna pick up Beatles within a few days.

i don't want to put the guitar down

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    YardGnome wrote: »
    So, I got the game and I love it, but I have a question. It's about achievements, so I'll put it in spoilers just in case.
    I played through all the game, but I didn't get the Day Tripper achievement. I'm the only person in my band and I skipped the credits. Anything up here?

Don't skip the credits? I didn't... Popped up like it was supposed to.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Kinda, you know, late to tell me that now. I went back and watched the credits, but nothing.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yea its pretty awesome. Up to Abbey Rd/Sgt Pepper but the fiance has to be up early so we only got ~90 minutes in. Turns out she knows psychedelic Beatles more than early by a lot - she kept yelling at them to grow facial hair and do drugs.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Kinda, you know, late to tell me that now. I went back and watched the credits, but nothing.

Sounds like you'll have to do it all over again. If 15 points is important, that is. All I know is that I got it without issue, though I think it popped up after finishing off the rooftop set and before the credits.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh this is getting better and better. My friend that I'm surprising thought she figured it out and guessed that my surprise for her was new Beatles songs for RB. As in DLC. My response? There's no Beatles songs for RB. Now she's totally lost.

(As I said, she's had no TV for several months and no internet.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This is the FWB? If so, I'd expect happy times for you.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    yeah. Sooooo much happy time. :winky:

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is the FWB? If so, I'd expect happy times for you.

Yes.

Particularly playing The Beatles: Rock Band!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ok so: I Want You, a little top heavy, but the ending is totally worth it.

Here Comes the Sun is easily one of the best songs on guitar in any of these games.

Dig a Pony is such great fun to play too. But I'm partial to a lot of the Let it Be songs.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Had to quit at Abbey Road because I need sleep.

Random observation: the Japanese girls don't look Japanese. If you squint your eyes they kinda look Japanese.

(Sorry, that was terrible. I blame staying up too late.)

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I really wish they had taken it easy on the audience cut-aways, they just end up distracting, especially when they only made like, 3 different ones for each stage.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I really wish they had taken it easy on the audience cut-aways, they just end up distracting, especially when they only made like, 3 different ones for each stage.

That's actually pretty realistic olololol

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm probably missing something incredibly obvious here, but for anyone with the Wii version... So the two USB dongles plug into the back of the system for the wireless instruments. One's a drum dongle (as it has a picture of the drums on it) and one's a regular one (for the Hofner and I assume the other guitars that you can purchase). Now. That's both USB ports taken up, but one of the dongles has two MORE ports on it, so you can plug in your mic. One port remains. So how do I plug in the two remaining microphones that I'm going to be purchasing (though I'll probably only grab one, it's still good to know for the future)? Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway, as I'm too lazy to look around a bit.

Also, this game kicks ass. Remember that I was worried about the Wii graphics and getting a lesser experience? I've been having too much fun to pay any attention to that. Been playing quickplay with college roommates all night. Playing through story mode with the gf this weekend. Now I just want some DLC, damn it!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    USB hub

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Gold star cutoffs are extremely tight. At least for guitar. There are four achievements that require you to get GS on guitar on four songs each. I have completed none of them because I still need to GS six songs. On I Feel Fine I improved my overall score by six thousand and *still* didn't make it.

They went a little nutso with their achievements... I wonder if they were concerned that there wouldn't be much repeat play. Even with all the catalogue, there still won't be much in the way of long term playability.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    USB hub

Where? Is it somewhere in the box, and I'm just missing it? Do I purchase it separately? It's probably the latter, but I figured I'd ask.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rented this tonight and played through the entire setlist on Guitar.

It was a lot of fun. Until that the rooftop. Those songs were garbage.

Yellow Submarine was a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

And I dare you to not sing along to A little help from my friends.

Error on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Gold star cutoffs are extremely tight. At least for guitar. There are four achievements that require you to get GS on guitar on four songs each. I have completed none of them because I still need to GS six songs. On I Feel Fine I improved my overall score by six thousand and *still* didn't make it.

They went a little nutso with their achievements... I wonder if they were concerned that there wouldn't be much repeat play. Even with all the catalogue, there still won't be much in the way of long term playability.

I just Gold Starred I Want to Hold Your Hand on bass (pretty easy). 64500/99% won't do it, you need to 100% it and do the bonus in the right part (70K did it).

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Excerpt from a conversation I just had with a friend who knows someone at Neversoft:

staci: Have you played yet?
    staci: I cried.
    FaradaysConstant: i nearly beat it before i had to go to work
    FaradaysConstant: i'm at the rooftop concert
    staci: I had to stop because I dont want to beat it yet
    staci: And my eyes hurt
    FaradaysConstant: every single song has been fun so far
    FaradaysConstant: i'm surprised
    staci: I know
    staci: I love it
    staci: Do you have a favorite?
    FaradaysConstant: Here Comes the Sun, by far
    FaradaysConstant: i couldn't believe how fucking fun it was
    FaradaysConstant: see, this is why i love Rock Band
    staci: Some of the songs got distracting, blinding backgrounds
    FaradaysConstant: and i'm glad they got the Beatles instead of Guitar Hero
    staci: Oooooh! My friend has been mad at me all day
    staci: the one from Neversoft
    staci: He is mad I'm so excited for this and facebooking about how fun it is
    staci: AND
    FaradaysConstant: good, fuck him
    staci: to make him feel better I said I am using my guitar hero guitar
    FaradaysConstant: and his response?
    staci: "Oh, that guitar you used to STAB ME IN THE BACK!?"
    staci: Poor guy
    staci: this must be killing them over there

P.S. I didn't say "fuck that guy" 'cause he works at Neversoft, apparently the guy's a pretty big douche. Also, he works at Neversoft.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

I just Gold Starred I Want to Hold Your Hand on bass (pretty easy). 64500/99% won't do it, you need to 100% it and do the bonus in the right part (70K did it).

So GS are now for perfect plays and not just high scores?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yean, just got to the rooftop area and we decicded to finish it tomorrow since we didn't recognize any of the songs. And yeah, does anyone else notice more eyestrain with this than normal RB? I think it's because of how bright everything is, vs the dark venues and note highways.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No, I've gotten Gold Stars on less-than-100% runs.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Well for that particular one (I want to hold your hand) on bass I didn't get it with 99% three times so it might be that I was just short or it might just be that song. I apparently have the 86th highest bass score on it though which is easily a best for me on a disc song

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    People not knowing the Let It Be songs makes me a sad panda.

I happen to like that album if only because it isn't as played out as everything else of theirs is for me.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Great fucking game.

I left my memory card at my brother's though, so I'll have to restart the career mode. My save was only up to Shea Stadium though.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

Well for that particular one (I want to hold your hand) on bass I didn't get it with 99% three times so it might be that I was just short or it might just be that song. I apparently have the 86th highest bass score on it though which is easily a best for me on a disc song

I full comboed a song on bass, used all my Beatlemania, and still didn't get gold stars. Overall, I've probably gotten GS on about half of the songs on guitar, but there are others that are still going to be difficult. Revolution doesn't want to play very nice at all.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also, I think people are flooding the Pepsi promo again. I don't think I'm going to be able to pick up the Nothing's Shocking tracks after all...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I got a bunch of fucking bupkis, and it pissed me off because I used like 5 codes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009

Sounds like you'll have to do it all over again. If 15 points is important, that is. All I know is that I got it without issue, though I think it popped up after finishing off the rooftop set and before the credits.

Um...encore? Or did you do that already?

That's odd.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    Oh this is getting better and better. My friend that I'm surprising thought she figured it out and guessed that my surprise for her was new Beatles songs for RB. As in DLC. My response? There's no Beatles songs for RB. Now she's totally lost.

(As I said, she's had no TV for several months and no internet.)

Please tell me you did/are going to record a reaction video. Because that would just be hilariously awesome.

RCagent on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ugh, I like this game, but why did they have to make the fret board colours so garish? It's literally hurting my eyes.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png