Options

Resident Evil 4: You're Small Time

• Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I honestly cannot figure out the use for the TMP. The power is low, the ammo is more scarce than handgun, and if you want to stagger an enemy for a physical attack you can do it with your freaking knife. There are plenty of times where the rifle, shotgun or Broken Butterfly are appropriate, and if not them I've got the good ole Red 9. TMP just never seems to fit in.

Pb on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    I honestly cannot figure out the use for the TMP. The power is low, the ammo is more scarce than handgun, and if you want to stagger an enemy for a physical attack you can do it with your freaking knife. There are plenty of times where the rifle, shotgun or Broken Butterfly are appropriate, and if not them I've got the good ole Red 9. TMP just never seems to fit in.

Using it a friend's save game, I found it useful in the castle for crowd control with monks. Blast at the kneecap level and you've got them all down on the ground for a couple seconds. Well-controlled bursts also allow for multiple staggering shots and/or headshots. I never sprayed, I always fired a shot at a time. And it was pretty damn awesome, to tlel the truth.

Of course, I still pawned it off to make room for the BB. Maybe one day I'll use it in a playthrough of my own.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

The TMP is really suited for stalling large crowds quickly I think.

It is also occasionally fun to use on lone people, just so you can fill them with 157 bullets before they die.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Darn it all. Now, I want resident evil 4 thanks to this thread. Ill probably get the PC version and use my 360 controller, unless the graphics are really bad compared to the gamecube version. Anyone have some screens comparing the two?

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hybrid wrote: »

That is what I use incendiary grenades for.

It is fun to watch a big crowd of ganados do the OH FUCK IM ON FIRE dance.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AbsoluteZero, I would just like to say, your sig is easily the best of the "Do not let Dr [somebody] touch your genitals" sigs.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I like to think of it as a Blacktail that fires more than twice as fast, does more than half as much damage, and carries 250 rounds in a clip. Against single targets it's just as effective - shoot in the leg, suplex, knifey knifey. But against STRONG targets, it's much, much better IMO. Full automatic fire FTW.

I've been meaning to do a no-pistol TMP run, but have been too busy with other cube games. Maybe I'll try one out later.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hybrid wrote: »

That is what I use incendiary grenades for.

It is fun to watch a big crowd of ganados do the OH FUCK IM ON FIRE dance.

Yes, they are fun and effective, but still the TMP does nicely when the ganados are to spread out for incendiary grenades to work.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The TMP is best against crowds. It's really useful in situations where you want to hit lots of Ganados in the head/knees to set up a melee attack or want to knock them down, but don't want to make yourself vulnerable by getting close enough to use the knife. Also, it makes killing El Gigante much simpler. Ammo scarcity shouldn't be a concern unless you're spraying bullets instead of setting up head/knee shots.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I've been meaning to do a no-pistol TMP run, but have been too busy with other cube games. Maybe I'll try one out later.

The worst thing about the TMP? By the time a TMP-only run is a viable option, you probably already have the Chicago Typewriter. It's almost like taking the less powerful weapon on purpose.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Darn it all. Now, I want resident evil 4 thanks to this thread. Ill probably get the PC version and use my 360 controller, unless the graphics are really bad compared to the gamecube version. Anyone have some screens comparing the two?

The PC version is one of the worst ports of anything that I've ever seen. It's frankly kind of offensive. Also, the TMP is great against shield-guys.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

The PC version is one of the worst ports of anything that I've ever seen. It's frankly kind of offensive. Also, the TMP is great against shield-guys.

Shield guys are migraines. And my shotgun is loaded with aspirin.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

My shotgun shells are valuable and scarce. My TMP bullets are inconsequential.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The TMP and its ammo takes up valuable space that could be taken up by... well, shotgun shells.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like to keep the TMP full, and sell all the bullets if you need to. Just use it to poke people in the foot, or in case of emergencies.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I’m almost done with my first play through and I was wondering something about the merchants. One my second play through will the first merchant sell all of the upgrades for the weapons?

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wanna say that equipment is unlocked by game progress but upgrades are tied to specific merchants but I'm not sure...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The TMP and its ammo takes up valuable space that could be taken up by... well, shotgun shells.

I don't have the gamecube version. I actually have to keep track of my ammo. Having so many shotgun shells as to make them a space concern has never happened.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In any case, the TMP is free bullets. Free bullets are always good.

You can also get a fuckton of mileage out if by upgrading the capacity at times. All in all not necessary, but it has its uses. I also find it one of the more fun weapons.

Elendil on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm sure it's good times, but I just never saw what it could do that a grenade or two shotgun shells couldn't.

Pb on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I’m almost done with my first play through and I was wondering something about the merchants. One my second play through will the first merchant sell all of the upgrades for the weapons?

Yes, every merchant will have all the weapons and upgrades available on a second playthrough.

Captain K on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh man Oh man. Totally can't find my case for this anywhere! I could have sworn it was between the RE1 remake and mario sunshine. Could... have sworn. So antsy to play this again.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

A shot to blow off the top of the shield, and you can finish him with whatever you wish.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    gtrmp wrote: »

The worst thing about the TMP? By the time a TMP-only run is a viable option, you probably already have the Chicago Typewriter. It's almost like taking the less powerful weapon on purpose.

I wasn't planning on going TMP-only, at least not the first time. Maybe the 'rapid fire' options from the firing range, so TMP/Shotgun and grenades or something. If you use it almost exclusively I'd immagine drops come fairly frequently.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

A shot to blow off the top of the shield, and you can finish him with whatever you wish.

Personally, I tend to prefer using the rifle to just blow their heads off like the shield wasn't even there.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Personally, I tend to prefer using the rifle to just blow their heads off like the shield wasn't even there.

If you're worried about conserving shotgun shells, you're going to be saving your rifle ammo for something more important than a single shield monk.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I kind of wish that enemies and boxes only gave you ammo for the weapons you had.

Though, if that were the case, I think we'd all whore things like the Mine Launcher and 1911 and/or Broken Butterfly to no end.

Hehe... 1911. I remember the first time I was playing, and I saw the 1911, and I started to debate on how I should proceed. I hadn't found any magnum ammo yet, and I was trying to figure out whether there would be 11.5 mm ammunition for it, or whether it would just use the generic "handgun" ammo. Remember, that at this point, I had never used these weapons so I had no idea that the ammo for them was deliberately rare.

On one hand... All of the handguns so far have been in 9 mm, so it makes sense they all use the same ammo.

On the other hand... This is a video game, and the 1911 is handgun, and the ammo name is HANDGUN ammo, despite what its description says...

Instead of buying the 1911 and firing off a shot to test it, I, being the genius that I am, just sold my C96 and took the 1911. I didn't realise that it wouldn't take handgun ammunition until I was surrounded by Ganados with six rounds in the magazine. D:

MVMosin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

If you're worried about conserving shotgun shells, you're going to be saving your rifle ammo for something more important than a single shield monk.

I don't think you quite grasp the situation. Two shells for one enemy? Unacceptable. Those shells will no longer be there when I need them for crowd-control in a few minutes. TMP ammo is entirely disposable. It's the gun that I have around so that I have more ammo overall.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I'm not worried about rifle shells - I often have to sell them off to keep space. I usually have ~30, plus what's in the gun. Shotgun shells? I think the 100 chambered in my Striker plus the 30-45 extra I have kicking around ought to last a while.

I've never focused on ammo conservation much in RE4. As long as I have around 15 shotgun shells for crowd control purposes, I'll use whatever gun I feel like (magnum aside, at least on the first playthrough).

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I use the semi-auto on shield guys. One shot to the top of the shield = head asplode.

There is maybe 1 situation in the game where you absolutely NEED to have rifle ammo (i think the part where those guys are driving the grinder towards ashley). Outside of that I use the Red 9 for everything. It is one accurate, powerful little SOB.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Outside of that I use the Red 9 for everything. It is one accurate, powerful little SOB.

Seriously, I don't understand why anyone debates this anymore. Red 9 + Stock = Win.

It's simple math, really. Opinions, schmupinons.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    Seriously, I don't understand why anyone debates this anymore. Red 9 + Stock = Win.
    Really, I was resistant in the past but I gave it a shot, and I can honestly say that I'll never go back to any other handgun.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Nickle wrote: »
    Really, I was resistant in the past but I gave it a shot, and I can honestly say that I'll never go back to any other handgun.

same case here. <3 Red9

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When I first saw the red 9, I didn't care what stats it had, it's a damn Mauser Broomhandle! Sold.

Davor on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had no idea these were real.

I thought they were made up just for the game.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Check out the parasites they list, besides the las plagas of course, they're all real and creepy as hell.

Davor on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    hehehe
    spinelxg3.jpg

LewieP on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    hehehe
    wiki spinel

wikipedia lies!! spinels are, in fact, NOT sold for a high price!!. :x

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    hehehe
    wiki spinel

wikipedia lies!! spinels are, in fact, NOT sold for a high price!!. :x

You should edit the article with that as your reason.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I cant use the Red9. I just cant. I'm too dang American, I have to use the revolver.

In other news, I'm out of magnum ammo, so I have to use the knife.

CangoFett on