As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

• Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bearcat on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »
    I was suprised the ACR didn't fire 6.8mm SPC or some other tacticool round.

The game probably didn't have the ACR chambered for 6.8 because then it would be the best rifle in the game.

Since when has that actually mattered in the game?

Mechanical on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mechanical wrote: »

The game probably didn't have the ACR chambered for 6.8 because then it would be the best rifle in the game.

Here's what makes me laugh. The accolades for most LMG kills says "7.62mm" which is the 7.62x51 shit most "heavy" lmg's are in.

But 3/5 of the LMG's are actually 5.56x45. Which makes me laugh.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Here's what makes me laugh. The accolades for most LMG kills says "7.62mm" which is the 7.62x51 shit most "heavy" lmg's are in.

FMJ reference, I bet. It's still funny.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The trajectory and recoil for 6.8mm SPC is comparable to 5.56, yet it has the terminal ballistics of 7.62 NATO. Yeah, there'd be no reason to use anything else in the game.

Heavy machine guns are usually chambered in .50 cal or 40mm. Medium machine guns are chambered in 7.62.

They really don't care about authenticity any more it seems.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

In a game where you can dual wield gold-plated shotguns?

Surely you jest.

Suriko on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The trajectory and recoil for 6.8mm SPC is comparable to 5.56, yet it has the terminal ballistics of 7.62 NATO. Yeah, there'd be no reason to use anything else in the game.

Heavy machine guns are usually chambered in .50 cal or 40mm. Medium machine guns are chambered in 7.62.

Uh, 40MM? We're not talking about auto-cannons. .50 is 12.7, anything larger than that is generally anti-tank rifles (20MM Lahti, awesome gun).

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Suriko wrote: »

In a game where you can dual wield gold-plated shotguns?

Surely you jest.

You've found gold-plated Rangers?

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Uh, 40MM? We're not talking about auto-cannons. .50 is 12.7, anything larger than that is generally anti-tank rifles (20MM Lahti, awesome gun).

Nope.

12.7 is much larger than .50 cal (both the width and length of the round).

I was referring to the MK19. It might be a GMG, but it's still a heavy machine gun.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    We're not using DShKs in this one, dammit!

Mechanical on
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    New to COD4, heartbeat sensor is a pretty goddamn retarded idea.

Otherwise I am enjoying this game. Also the big "OMFG" about the no dedicated servers is way overblown.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Nope.

12.7 is much larger than .50 cal (both the width and length of the round).

I was referring to the MK19. It might be a GMG, but it's still a heavy machine gun.

12.7x99mm NATO is the .50BMG round, used in the M2 machine gun. It is not larger, it is the same round.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm surpised there was no PKM or PKP this time. Nope, Ivan's still using the RPD.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm surpised there was no PKM or PKP this time. Nope, Ivan's still using the RPD.

I want an RPK. Long barreled AK-47 gogogogo

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I suppose since they have the AUG in the LMG category they could have swung that.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, the thing about the AUG is that it can be interchanged simply by a swapout of the barrel and maybe the action. HBAR, "Heavy Barrel Automatic Rifle" is the LMG role of the weapon, so it makes sense.

And what the hell is with all of the damn bullpups in this game, seriously.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eh.

In most cases (well, in pretty much every case) 12.7mm refers to 12.7x108, which is in fact a larger round.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Slightly. It doesn't really matter, people aren't going to give a shit what their rifles in game are chambered for because IW just makes takes the weapon from RL, then balances it into the game.

And here's what's bugging me. In MW1, whenever you had a weapon chambered for say, 9mm, and you were using an MP5, and you walked over an M9 which was also 9mn, you picked up ammo. However, I've found that without Scavenger, weapons other than the one you're using will not give ammo to you, even if they're identical calibers. It's really aggravating because it practically forces me to use Scavenger (although it is a very good perk).

Edit; and they share the same magazines, all of them STANAG style (for the assault rifles in .223), so that can't be it either.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eh.

In most cases (well, in pretty much every case) 12.7mm refers to 12.7x108, which is in fact a larger round.

Does anyone outside of the former USSR use 12.7x108?

14.5x114mm is a neat round, almost 10,000 ft-lbf more at the muzzle than the .50 BMG, but I'm not sure anyone uses that anymore either. Which would make it ideal for this game, where it would somehow do less damage than the M16.

Fats on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think I'm done with this game already.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    I think I'm done with this game already.

Aww, too many bullshit deaths? It does get irritating after a while, I just stop playing for a while and cannibalize some orphan babies.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eh.

14.5x114mm is a neat round, almost 10,000 ft-lbf more at the muzzle than the .50 BMG, but I'm not sure anyone uses that anymore either. Which would make it ideal for this game, where it would somehow do less damage than the M16.

Several countries still use both the 12.7x108 and 14.5.

They're common in Iraq and Afghanistan, but not in first world countries.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eh.

Man, you'd better be penetrating some serious shit to be needing a round that large. Robot T-Rex, perhaps? Maybe Godzilla. Or 2 feet of cinderblocks, and 6 inches of steel plate behind that.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eh.

Man, you'd better be penetrating some serious shit to be needing a round that large. Robot T-Rex, perhaps? Maybe Godzilla. Or 2 feet of cinderblocks, and 6 inches of steel plate behind that.

Or maybe Coalition vehicles?

We didn't use them over there, anti-coalition forces did.

14.5 is pretty rare, but I saw several Dshks.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eh.

Would an armor piercing round make it through an M1A1 or a Stryker? Humvees are pretty much made of tissue paper, but I could see the uses of a heavy weapon against troop transports.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit.

Akimbo Vectors + rapid-fire = OH SHIT A WALL OF LEAD

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So how about those grenade launchers.

Always killing me and stuff.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eh.

Would an armor piercing round make it through an M1A1 or a Stryker? Humvees are pretty much made of tissue paper, but I could see the uses of a heavy weapon against troop transports.

No.

The up-armored HMMWVs they use overseas these days are about as well armored as any APC.

The sound in this game is pretty terrible. The M134 in particular sounds like ass. They really didn't put much effort into the single player.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My favorite sounding weapons are the M21(cough14cough)EBR and the AK-47, they added that metallic sound of the action into the AK and it sounds mean. Some do sound like ass, because they're only in the game once and they don't "need" as much quality as others.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The 240B sounds terrible. I cringe whenever I fire it.

It's also extremely weak.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Could anybody explain to me that the more tired I am, the better I am at this game? I guess I relax a bit and pay more attention, but surely my reaction time is slowed.

Oh well, K/D ratio is a'risin.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just dinged 30.

THE STINGER IS CIVILIZATION!

Since I've acquired it, I don't think I've ever let an enemy have a killstreak in the air for longer than 5 seconds. Fuck, once I actually shot down a care package chopper before it dropped. The care package still fell, but not where it was called. :D

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just unlocked the m21 EBR, and went on a rampage with that thing. Its so so so beautiful. I got jumped by 3 people, and just hammered my right trigger as fast I could, emptied the clip and killed all 3. It was pretty hilarious on my side, not so much theirs.

I've dabbled in sniper rifles, using all the earlier ones for a bit. Never more, this thing beats everything else by such a huge margin.

Edit - Yeah, stingers are AMAZING. Javelins are awesome, but not as good as shooting down flying vehicles, but great for area denial.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Just dinged 30.

THE STINGER IS CIVILIZATION!

Since I've acquired it, I don't think I've ever let an enemy have a killstreak in the air for longer than 5 seconds. Fuck, once I actually shot down a care package chopper before it dropped. The care package still fell, but not where it was called. :D

Nice. Anyone know for certain if downing care package choppers counts toward progress in unlocking Cold-Blooded Pro? I mostly go after UAVs and Harriers, but some more eligible targets would speed the process up a bit.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Grr, I arrange a round of Spec-Ops with a mate after the sweltering heatwave we've been dealing with passed, and as soon as we finish the first mission, a storm kicks up and causes a blackout for him.

Australian weather :rotate:

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My buddy is coming over tomorrow with his set up so we can Spec Ops in the same room. I can't wait.

Working my way through the SMGs I'm almost to the Vector. I'm used to the distance I can hit with the almost no recoil UMP45. Are my sights going to be as calm with the Vector?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Working my way through the SMGs I'm almost to the Vector. I'm used to the distance I can hit with the almost no recoil UMP45. Are my sights going to be as calm with the Vector?

Oh yeah, the Vector is a beast.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    My buddy is coming over tomorrow with his set up so we can Spec Ops in the same room. I can't wait.

The Vector should be even better.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    Favela is by far my favorite map, but only with the marathon lightweight commando tac-knife setup. Even better on domination, I just run around all the winding alleys and jump off roofs stabbin folks until it's ac130 time

favela with that build makes me think of mirror's edge or that bit in casino royale

i spent a match just leaping and running across the roofs, never coming down (because it was lmg bullet hell down there) and taking out snipers

one of them came back with a riot sheild so i stood still, took aim, and shot his feet instead

that is what the gun is for.

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In the Favela, I just hunt people down with the heartbeat sensor while screwing them out of their killstreaks with the Stinger.

Not my favorite map, but not a bad one by any means. The only one I vote down consistently is Derail. Fuck that place.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht