As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damn host migration is so annoying. Got booted out of my Predator Missile because of it occuring as I was piloting the missile down. Would have killed 2 people and got me a Harrier...

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    Give us back party chat or at least give it back on the playlists that don't suffer from it and fix the spawn system , the campers will eventually deal with themselves.
    So really what's the difference between party and team chat? Aside from being able to talk about team mates behind their back and not communicating to the rest of your team and between matches not being able to talk without others hearing you because you don't want them to hear you talking about them?

Just because you don't want people listening in on your private conversation does not mean you are speaking ill of them.
    what private conversations might these be that you're embarrassed about others hearing? Oh hey Jen, hows the baby doing? Fine she burped up of peas today. How's your job gooing along as a terrorist spy for Wyoming? Good, you know, it's big and sandy.

And why would this have to be done during serious games times.

Because we all play games very seriously all the time. That's pretty much exactly the kind of conversation I want to have while playing. I play MW2 with friends from back home that I don't see any more, and we often talk about boring life stuff while shooting mans.
    Ok, I understand your side of it. I know if I hear that kind of talk going on mid game I don't mind it and don't really care. But I can see how it'd be embarrasing to talk about stuff openly or how people may be annoyed by that type of chatter.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And yet it is not as annoying as not having host migration.

tofu on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Give us back party chat or at least give it back on the playlists that don't suffer from it and fix the spawn system , the campers will eventually deal with themselves.
    So really what's the difference between party and team chat? Aside from being able to talk about team mates behind their back and not communicating to the rest of your team and between matches not being able to talk without others hearing you because you don't want them to hear you talking about them?

Just because you don't want people listening in on your private conversation does not mean you are speaking ill of them.
    what private conversations might these be that you're embarrassed about others hearing? Oh hey Jen, hows the baby doing? Fine she burped up of peas today. How's your job gooing along as a terrorist spy for Wyoming? Good, you know, it's big and sandy.

And why would this have to be done during serious games times.

Have you ever tried speaking any other language then English on live? Do you know the amount of abuse you take? Hell even in English the amount of shit spewed out is intolerable . The reason chat was dead is not because of the party system it was dead because no one wants to put up with the assholes on live . Also what the fuck do you care what we are talking about? How does that matter in the slightest?

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    With party chat you can't hear us telling you things, as well. And what matters when you guys talk is when you talk about things happening in the game.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Im fairly sure I was clear that I wanted it for the playlists where it doesn't matter .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there anyone that prefers a submachine gun to assault rifles on most maps? I've tried messing around with the ump45 and rapid fire but i keep getting annoyed because sometimes i'll see someone a ways off and empty a whole clip at them either bursting or full auto and its reaaaalllyyy hard to kill them.

Also does the FMJ help a lot with wall penetration because it doesn't look like it does much extra damage from the little graphic on the weapon stats.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I use party chat because I play in a group already and find the chatter annoying. In Team Deathmatch we were switching hosts and some little kid started singing Hey Jude horribly. In party chat playlists like Ground War we never have to worry about being called a bunch of faggots for either "sucking so bad" or "not playing to have fun"

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there anyone that prefers a submachine gun to assault rifles on most maps? I've tried messing around with the ump45 and rapid fire but i keep getting annoyed because sometimes i'll see someone a ways off and empty a whole clip at them either bursting or full auto and its reaaaalllyyy hard to kill them.

Also does the FMJ help a lot with wall penetration because it doesn't look like it does much extra damage from the little graphic on the weapon stats.

SMG's are more for close quarterish fighting I love it on the enclosed middle eastern town with marathon lightweight and ninja so I can run around flanks and take out snipers etc really quickly.

It's also great for first bloods.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Not extra damage, but makes bullets go through walls easier. I like using the heartbeat sensor + FMJ and shooting at random places in walls to kill people. I fail 9/10 times. But the 1 time it works I'm estatic.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

With the increase of size of the maps , assault rifles seem to do better in more situations.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I use party chat because I play in a group already and find the chatter annoying. In Team Deathmatch we were switching hosts and some little kid started singing Hey Jude horribly. In party chat playlists like Ground War we never have to worry about being called a bunch of faggots for either "sucking so bad" or "not playing to have fun"

Yeah, but you have to deal with the fucking terribleness that is Ground War.

Anyway, public chatter doesn't bother me. It takes all of 2 seconds to use quick mute and the trade off for people not cheating in other modes is fine by me.
    So are heartbeat sensors useful in hardcore or does everyone go ninja? I need to use a silencer but I feel blind w/o my sensor.

In my experience so far both the thermal and the heartbeat sensor are almost useless.
    I liked the Brazil level, if only for the bad ass conclusion to it. It made me a little gay for Soap.

I got to the helicopter part today so that's all I've seen.

It's just that the "random guy with a sniper rifle in a spot that I can't see but he can steadily pelt my ass" got on my last nerves this morning.

Sheep on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Beat the campaign yesterday and finally got around to checking out some of the Spec Ops modes. Wow! Some of those things are really awesome, while others are...awesomely difficult.

Only unlocked up to Charlie, I think, so I don't know about the ones after that. I can only assume they get even freaking harder and I will likely never finish them.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just had one of those headquarters games where it's like you're on fire and can't fuck up anything. Went 25-7, capped every single headquarters, had regular killstreaks, and generally felt like I was one step ahead of everyone on the other team. Goddamn if I could do this consistently...

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone got a 360 group playing right now?

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Now that I've actually unlocked it, I can say without a doubt that my favorite battle rifle is the FAL.

Fats on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seems like the full auto, bullpup assault rifles do just as well as a SMG in most cases while offering better range. Only time SMGs really take the cake are when they are wielded akimbo.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And yet it is not as annoying as not having host migration.

except for me host migration fails about 80% of the time (yes, I have been keeping track) and boots me out to the lobby, so it's actually kind of worse since it's like EVERYTHING IS FINE, FINDING NEW HOST!!!...NO U!

Precursor wrote: »
    Seems like the full auto, bullpup assault rifles do just as well as a SMG in most cases while offering better range. Only time SMGs really take the cake are when they are wielded akimbo and bling'd with rapid fire.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    Now that I've actually unlocked it, I can say without a doubt that my favorite battle rifle is the FAL.

Does it 1 shot kill on non-hardcore?

I really wish they left fire select in the game.

Edit i just played a ground war game against a friken clan and got raped on high rise. they just knew exactly where to camp so it was hard to even exit the building.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fats wrote: »

Does it 1 shot kill on non-hardcore?

I really wish they left fire select in the game.

No, still takes a couple of hits, though I haven't tried it with stopping power yet. Agreed on the fire-select, for whatever reason I do far better with semi-auto.

Edit: It's a hell of a penetrator, too. I started trying to follow people as they ran behind walls and I've grabbed quite a few kills that way. I look forward to FMJ.

Fats on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think I've decided that red dot + silencer is definitely the way to go for hardcore since trying the sensor for myself proved it to be useless. Oh well, it's still great for all the other types. Also, I really like the marathon+lightweight+commando pro that was suggested earlier. It's helping me to get my usp kills and I add a riot shield and throwing knife for extra kicks.

Got my first nuke today, went 30-1. It was glorious.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am loving the AUG right now with the red dot sensor. Usually for longer distance kills just burst two-three rounds at a time, rinse repeate until they are dead.

As for perks, the sentry gun is by far the most hilarious. Not necessarily the best, but its just priceless to set it up and see it shred a few people. If you put in a spot thats difficult to nade it can be around for a while and shut down part of the map depending placement and the actual map (assuming someone doens't have the cold blooded perk).

I have been using bling pro for most of kits, but I think I am gonna go back to scavenger. I love a silencer and a sight, but I just run out of ammo to fast without scavenger.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuck xbox live.

aBlank on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    As everything, this is probably old news, but it made me drop my jaw:

Lottery

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh shit.

Chopper gunner on wasteland.

There's where that is worth taking over the AC130.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chopper gunner is better in a lot of maps, it's problem is it is far more vulnerable to enemy anti-air than the AC130.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Chopper gunner is better in a lot of maps, it's problem is it is far more vulnerable to enemy anti-air than the AC130.

Yeah. I got it from a supply crate. Got thirty kills. That map has absolutely no fucking cover at all.

Funny how COD4 has basically changed completely with the killstreak system. I love it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HBAR > all

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    RivulentRivulent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone else having steam problems right now (8:17 pm EST)?

Rivulent on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am, and so are my friends.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    IWnet is still down....

Shade on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Why are all you people using guns?

KNIVES people, you need to use MORE KNIVES!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I've been trying to master the throwing knife in hardcore.

My efforts have been met with almost no success.

EXCEPT one time when I got a payback kill from halfway across Highrise by chucking it randomly over a wall. That was pretty amazing.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just finished the campaign up. May have to run through it again in veteran, it was actually damn fun. Now for tons upon tons of multi.

corin7 on
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, I didn't expect Thermal Sights to zoom in so god damn far. Hard to use it in close quarters. Seemed fine in the campagin, or does the zoom differ between weapon types?

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thermal and Heartbeat are pretty useless. Although I'm really not sure what the difference between red dot and holographic is. The reticule?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Thermal and Heartbeat are pretty useless.

What's the color for lies again? Because thermal is awesome.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think Holographic has a very slight zoom effect.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Thermal and Heartbeat are pretty useless. Although I'm really not sure what the difference between red dot and holographic is. The reticule?

Does red dot turn off if you get emp'd? I think holographic doesn't cover up the target so you can aim better.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think the holographic has better auto-aim or something. Could be wrong, I dunno.

Also, I don't think the heartbeat sensor is useless. I use it on all of my sniper rifles (along with a silencer) because it's easier to detect movement when not looking through the scope so I spend alot of time just sitting perfectly still looking at the area ahead of me (and listening), and the heartbeat sensor has saved me a couple of times when there was a guy right by me that I wouldn't have seen because I was so focused on the background instead of the foreground.

hatedinamerica on