As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MindLib wrote: »
    are the cheaters less prevalent on the PC version?

More, because you don't just get people abusing glitches and I don't think glitchers can be banned on the PC version (but IW.net might be able to do so).

Edit: This is why I played the game so much on release, because it was always going to devolve into abusive shit IMO. On release in the rare games I could get good ping it was super fun and didn't have half of this stupid crap.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I played like 15 domination matches tonight and didn't run into a single person on either team using the javelin glitch. I did run into one guy speed running with a care package (for one life), and one guy abusing the infinite killstreak reward (emergency airdrop :? plus his team lost by 100). This was on xbox live too, so I guess it was just luck of the draw.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wow, so i'm still playing through the campaign and I just got to the level after...after that happened...

wow

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So guys, I've been trying to cut down on my equipment challenges so that I get the icons and everything and so I am "Done" with that weapon.

I've started with the frag grenade. Got everything save for Multi Frag(ugh, this is going to be a pain) and Think Fast (ugh, this is going to be a pain.) I guess I just gotta play a lot of domination with scavenger and danger close for Multi Frags and pray that I bump into someone ACTUALLY using Last Stand...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Uhm, hi... I guess. First post, so you know it's a little bit awkward ; ). I play on XBL and I was wondering if anyone else just stuck w the m4, the lowest of the low ARs, i tend to do fine w it in TDM, Dom and CTF. I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth my while to try and pick something better from the bunch?

Ah, w the recent discussion I haven't seen anyone use the jav glitch/trick yet

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've never used the M4 but if you like it there's not a whole lot of reason to switch; I jump from gun to gun a lot just because I like the variety but honestly everything pretty much kills just as quickly, it's really personal preference.

Until you get the ACR at least, it's the gun The Almighty Satan will use in his conquest of the mortal realms.

Blakout on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So guys, I've been trying to cut down on my equipment challenges so that I get the icons and everything and so I am "Done" with that weapon.

I've started with the frag grenade. Got everything save for Multi Frag(ugh, this is going to be a pain) and Think Fast (ugh, this is going to be a pain.) I guess I just gotta play a lot of domination with scavenger and danger close for Multi Frags and pray that I bump into someone ACTUALLY using Last Stand...

Think Fast is the "Kill a schmuck with the grenade impact" right?

In HC mode impacts are a one-hit-kill.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Really? Chucking a grenade and bouncing it off of someone's head kills them in HC? I might just have to try that...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sanguinary wrote: »
    Uhm, hi... I guess. First post, so you know it's a little bit awkward ; ). I play on XBL and I was wondering if anyone else just stuck w the m4, the lowest of the low ARs, i tend to do fine w it in TDM, Dom and CTF. I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth my while to try and pick something better from the bunch?

Ah, w the recent discussion I haven't seen anyone use the jav glitch/trick yet

Seriously, the M4 is a respectable gun. If you have no desire to branch out just for the sake of trying things, you really don't need to. I think its a nice change from CoD4; most of the unlocks aren't clearly superior. If you're feeling adventurous, though, I'd recommend giving the SCAR a try. It's got higher damage and better accuracy, so it shines at longer ranges the the M4 can't match.

And yes, the ACR is the gun of kings.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

More, because you don't just get people abusing glitches and I don't think glitchers can be banned on the PC version (but IW.net might be able to do so).

Edit: This is why I played the game so much on release, because it was always going to devolve into abusive shit IMO. On release in the rare games I could get good ping it was super fun and didn't have half of this stupid crap.

Rumor is Steam might start banning people which basically means if you're a regular Steam user DO NOT fucking glitch/hack.

Because if Steam bans your ass, all those games you bought? Yeah, they're gone.

Also if you get banned from Steam for glitching/hacking I am going to laugh at you so hard.

And when you bitch about how much money you're out? I'm only going to laugh harder.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Really? Chucking a grenade and bouncing it off of someone's head kills them in HC? I might just have to try that...

I've seen it kill people in Ground War.

And it's hilarious.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Are you going to point at them too? Perhaps call them a fag too?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Are you going to point at them too? Perhaps call them a fag too?

If you're going to talk to someone specifically, use a quote, because otherwise what you're saying has no context :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I've seen it kill people in Ground War.

And it's hilarious.

I did it in hc with a stun grenade by complete accident/dumb luck. Tossed a grenade at a corner I thought someone might be around; sure enough, he rushed around the corner just in time for it to ping off his head.

Blakout on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, there were some really, really bad players online tonight on Live, doing inexcusably stupid shit like charging headlong at sentry guns. I felt like a walking tac insertion because a constant swarm of brain-damaged monkeys kept spawning on my location.

Was good for completing some annoying challenges, but I hope there are fewer scrubby noob halfwits online tomorrow night.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Man, there were some really, really bad players online tonight on Live, doing inexcusably stupid shit like charging headlong at sentry guns. I felt like a walking tac insertion because a constant swarm of brain-damaged monkeys kept spawning on my location.

Was good for completing some annoying challenges, but I hope there are fewer scrubby noob halfwits online tomorrow night.

People will bitch about anything. o_O

joshgotro on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    charging at sentry guns is nice xp if you have a shield though

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Rumor is Steam might start banning people which basically means if you're a regular Steam user DO NOT fucking glitch/hack.

Also if you get banned from Steam for glitching/hacking I am going to laugh at you so hard.

And when you bitch about how much money you're out? I'm only going to laugh harder.

I don't think most of those people would bother posting here in the first place. So I'm afraid your righteous indignation will probably be on hold for now. :lol:

And even then, odds are that most of the hackers are using dummy accounts.

subedii on
  • Options
    SaeadebSaeadeb Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

LOL not half as hard as I laugh at people whose fragile happiness relies on whether or not I glitch in MW2.

Saeadeb on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by ~ctraxX
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

My teammates were dying like lemmings from charging into enemy fire and throwing themselves at a wall of lead generated by sentry guns. Rather than re-evaluate their strategy, their response was to mash X and keep doing the same thing over and over again.

I don't see a problem with "bitching" about that and expressing my hope that tomorrow night, these tools will find something else to do with their free time and leave MW2 for the people who actually attempt to play it well.

If you have a problem with that, erm... okay. That's a new one. But you're entitled to your bizarre opinion.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited December 2009

My teammates were dying like lemmings from charging into enemy fire and throwing themselves at a wall of lead generated by sentry guns. Rather than re-evaluate their strategy, their response was to mash X and keep doing the same thing over and over again.

I don't see a problem with "bitching" about that and expressing my hope that tomorrow night, these tools will find something else to do with their free time and leave MW2 for the people who actually attempt to play it well.

If you have a problem with that, erm... okay. That's a new one. But you're entitled to your bizarre opinion.

I need some sleep. I thought the opposition was being the dumb ones.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ran into one Javelin glitcher tonight in Ground War (everyone on both teams reported him after the game) and a booster (everyone reported him, too). Had one guy call me a camping fag after a match on Sub Base when I went 28-9 and was never in the same spot after two kills. A guy on his own team called him out on it.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The dual 1887's would get eaten for breakfast in HCTDM.

Same goes for pure knife builds.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    thats because running with an instant kill build in a mode where everything is instant kill anyways, is pretty silly.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think a lot of people who play MW2 and complain about knifers, DSD's, and other abusive builds would enjoy the crap out of hardcore, as these problems seem to be relegated to the special ed class that is regular team deathmatch, which is nothing but people running around Quake-style.

Hardcore is much more deliberate, and victory usually goes to those who know how to use cover and move protected. If you stay in 1 place for too long you WILL die, and by "too long" I mean as soon as the first guy you shot respawns he's going to throw a nade or 40MM straight up your ass if you stay where you were.

Hardcore is the only way to play MW2 and, although it's a bit difficult due to the lack of visual assists and the increased power of the weapons, the rewards for breaking out of the garbage fest that is regular team deathmatch are pretty great.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i'd *love it* if the enemy in HC TDM/HQ ran with a jav glitch build... that would be awesome.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Saeadeb wrote: »

LOL not half as hard as I laugh at people whose fragile happiness relies on whether or not I glitch in MW2.

No, I'm pretty sure if I'm laughing because you just lost hundreds of dollars in games for being a douchbag, I'm going to be laughing harder than you.

Because if you fuck up a game I'm in by being a glitching asshole? I'm out possibly ten minutes.

But if your Steam account gets banned and you lose all the games you have via Steam?

Well, sucks to be a glitching asshole I guess. :lol:

Also I just found the easy way through the spawny part at the beginning of Favela. Equip your shotty and just keep running. You can make it all the way through before any of the NPCs get in position.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't play hardcore modes because on the wide open maps its just sniping sniping and more sniping. At least in what I've run across. I don't have a problem with knife builds, though i do believe the akimbo 1887's are the spawn of the devil.

That being said i only play things other than team deathmatch.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    cwoaccwoac Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    However the dual shotgun guy is
    a. a decent counter to knife builds (read: a non-glitching counter).
    b. very satisfying to knife.

I can testify for both from last night's play. Its just a shame they have such a long range. it makes them silly. If they nerf that a bit in the new title update they will make it a reasonable option.

cwoac on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hardcore is the only way to play MW2 for me.

I love HC too. In fact it's all I played in CoD4. Until Domination gets a HC variant I'd rather shoot mans trying to take back a cap point. Plus XP XP XP XP XP XP XP XP XP.

P.S. Unless you're getting upwards of 50 kills a game you're not getting anywhere as much XP. Just in case this argument comes around.

P.S.S. Do you only get a new Custom slot every two prestiges? Mine didn't show up otherwise.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Should be 1 slot per prestige from what I've read.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    RericReric Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Precursor wrote: »
    Should be 1 slot per prestige from what I've read.

The wiki page that was linked to awhile ago that lists all the titles said that it was every other prestige so you can have a total of 10 custom slots if you get all the way up to ten prestiges, though i suppose 9 prestige is enough.

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Strange.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Without dedicated servers HC is frustrating. 12 man hardcore games are just pathetic.

Hoz on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You guys think IW will implement a local search option or some kind of solution to the "game full of aussies, but lone american joins and becomes host so everyone suddenly has red ping" problem? Or should I just forget about MW2?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer is not balanced for non-Americans, you fucking commie.

Hoz on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    You guys think IW will implement a local search option or some kind of solution to the "game full of aussies, but lone american joins and becomes host so everyone suddenly has red ping" problem? Or should I just forget about MW2?

My two cents? Not a chance in hell.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I need someone online who can handle AA. Four matches now not one Killstreak shot down.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    Without dedicated servers HC is frustrating. 12 man hardcore games are just pathetic.

Maybe it's the military in me, but setting up a kill vs a smaller team is much more satisfying than mowing down a huge platoon of opponents in fire/forget fashion.

FOR EXAMPLE: Setting up a decoy claymore that will either:

A) Redirect the opposition away towards another friendly who will take care of them
    B) Redirect the opposition right into the fatal funnel I have set up
    C) They don't see it and die
    D) They DO see it, blow it up, totally give their position away. Subsequently they take a few rounds, netting me a cool 100 points.

I'd say the top 50-60% ranked players in MW2 all have similar reflexes, but the real deciding factor is intelligence and strategy. Tube traps with barrels (Especially in Quarry) are a blast. Redirecting your opponents movement right to a frag you already threw is fun. Constantly shooting down their killstreak rewards (Especially UAV's and Pave Lows, and if I'm with my clan members, their AC130's). Chucking a frag at an opponent who is behind cover and forcing them to get blown up with covering fire is great.

Its all mental in HC, at least if you don't completely suck.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I need someone online who can handle AA. Four matches now not one Killstreak shot down.

I unlocked the Stinger a few levels ago and have been shooting down everything the enemy puts in the sky - I even shot down two AC-130s yesterday. I just wish UAVs weren't so hard to see.

I also put the ACOG on my SCAR to complete a challenge, and I am liking it a lot more than I thought I would. On Estate it w/ FMJ rounds meant I was getting plenty of kills sniping into the house.

Ganluan on