As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] Hard to swallow

DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
It's all about losing spaceships.
JOIN MERCH INDUSTRIAL THREAD HERE

1zdbret.jpg

EVE is an oddity in the modern day MMO market. Popular MMOs are polished, tightly controlled masterpieces of design; where the player triumphs over strong NPC bosses with the aid of their friends using specific means provided to them by the developers. These majestic fantasy worlds are carefully watched and protected from troublemakers who would ruin another's experience.

Not so with EVE. From small, very troubled beginnings, CCP slowly developed a complicated and poorly documented sandbox universe, filled with deep and confusing PvP combat and a non-intuitive, needlessly complex player economy. They made a world where players must use learn multiple textbooks’ worth of information to prosper or else become prey to others. Griefing, scamming, and playing undock games is permitted as long as it abuses game mechanics. Which occurs often, as the novels worth' of required reading don’t actually exist, so you learn these lessons by looking at your wrecked ship from your capsule wondering what dumb thing you did this time.

The game world itself spans thousands of solar systems, divided into several regions of varying security level from 1.0 to 0.0 -- the former filled with mindless, shallow and repetitive NPC missions, the latter being lawless territory which the largest player alliances split up in order to RMT large amounts of cash.

Not only is the game world vast in a spatial sense, but in a player sense. Eve Online is a unified environment- every single player shares the same game world. Despite having between 15,000 - 55,000 players online at any given time, with thousands of systems including wormholes, you’ll rarely encounter other individuals outside of empire space.

The mechanics of Eve, which allows player alliances to claim sovereignty over 0.0 space, has led to the emergence of player-created drama that is, for many, far more amusing than the game content itself.
8wyryx.jpg

Space is divided into three general security levels on a scale from 1.0 to 0.0- 1.0 to 0.5 is considered high security Empire space, where players commit aggressive acts against other players to swiftly and inevitably destroy their target ships, before they are in turn destroyed by the NPC police organization CONCORD for pennies on the dollar. High security space is only a near-total guarantor of safety when you have nothing of value.

0.4 to 0.1 is considered low security Empire space, where aggressive acts take place without CONCORD retribution, and players sit on the station undock engaging in honorable combat until they believe they may be blown up, at which point they will dock up.

0.0 is lawless space, and most players consider it to be where the actual hilarity takes place. It also has the best belt-based NPC bounties and asteroids to mine in the game, which are completely overshadowed by Empire based level IV missions. Players hold sovereignty over this space, and leaders collect the resources from high value moons which they inevitably embezzle.

The current map representing alliance influence, updated daily here, has changed dramatically with the recently arrived expansion: Dominion.

The details have shown that Dominion has made systems easier to defend, and made owning space more expensive. Fortunately 0.0 has been incentivized by creating complexes that are roughly worth less than running level IV missions in empire. This has changed the business model large alliances use to hold and defend large amounts of space; they control the same territory but now simply stop paying for sections of it, while renting out the poorer sections to small alliances now have an even smaller chance of claiming their own territory.

Along with these sovereignty/0.0 changes came the removal of Area of Effect doomsday weapons that titans used to enjoy abusing, turning them into focused shot capital destroyers that titans currently enjoy abusing.
capital_blog_pic1_branded_small.jpg

EVE Online! A free for all you’d be a silly goose not to play! Come on in and talk about the latest amusing antics of the 0.0 alliances or just discuss the inane things we usually chat about.

tf2_sig.png
DeadlySherpa on

• Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I thought this was suppose to be more general chat than recruitment

smokmnky on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    smokmnky wrote: »

Did you notice any recruitment stuff in the OP?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    that EvE CCP rap video should be in the OP

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    smokmnky wrote: »

Did you notice any recruitment stuff in the OP?

Yeah. The only recruitment thing is the link so that people immediately know that recruitment is somewhere other than right here.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe it should be "If you want to join MerchI, click here" or something? The size and text of the link makes it seem more like a title than a link.

edit:
    OP wrote:
    you’ll rarely encounter other individuals outside of empire space.

I wish I ran into hardly anyone. I'd lose fewer ships.

Papillon on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You could try sucking less if you want to lose less ships.

Or just only log in to queue skills. That works too.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    reasonablesuggestion, threw a thread in there.
    if I've got some time I'll toss some more bitter vet stuff into there.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    fyastarterfyastarter Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I posted in the recruitment thread about Deep Crows having very few active members, but I figured I'd reiterate here that we're still open for anyone wishing to join a Penny arcade corporation while Merchi has its own recruitment on hold, or dosen't yet meet the requirements therefor.

\Or if you're just to obvious a spy to get in and want to bitch about it

Any which way contact Starter Belleren in game to join.

Don't all rush at once now

fyastarter on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Eve online bitter vet edition.
    The only way to win is not to play :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Just Some DudeJust Some Dude Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For some reason I thought Deepcrows closed up shop? If that's not the case that's pretty cool, I still think a place for PA people not embroiled in the midst of 0.0 politics is a good thing.

Just Some Dude on
    Cog in the machine Cog Herder
  • Options
    PelPel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wish we were embroiled in 0.0 politics. More like, we're trying hard to get embroiled in 0.0 politics but the 0.0 politics don't really want any part of us.

Pel on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After this week school break I really need to get my covert skills back up to par. That is, not the skills themselves, but the playstyle of flying around in a covie and acting as spotting and warp-to person (combined with the cursing of people warping to zero on you and getting you blown up).

So long of a break, I presume I'm going to be rusty as fuck.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yay, new thread.

Stupid question: If I do join MerchI, and BoB or whatever the princess power hour is calling themselves nowadays wardecs us, can they gank me in highsec space?

KiTA on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Yay, new thread.

Stupid question: If I do join MerchI, and BoB or whatever the princess power hour is calling themselves nowadays wardecs us, can they gank me in highsec space?

Yes, plus whatever wars are currently going on against LODRA will affect you after 24 hours.

Hence why first thing I'm doing when I get back is move all the stuff I need/want to the nearest high sec spot to MerchI's supposed new location so that I'm not trucking ships through empire before applying.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yay, new thread.

C

Wardecs mean you can be attacked in any class of space without repercussions. [LODRA] will most likely be at war with numerous people forever.

e; beat

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Eeeh, So what, make an alt for PVE stuff, if I'm interested in that kinda thing?

Can you and an alt train skills at the same time, or is it still 1 training per account?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    And what is LORDA? I thought we were goons.

KiTA on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    One per account.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Karttoon, the ex-CEO of GoonFleet/Swarm booted everyone from GoonSwarm. The alliance has been reformed under the name SOLODRAKBANSOLODRAKBANSO [LODRA]. Since the full name of the alliance is a little unwieldy, we usually refer to the alliance by its ticker, LODRA.

Edit: If you're not doing PVE in one of the main mission hubs you should be fine. Just fit an improved cloak when you're travelling long distances and don't dock in Jita 4-4, Amarr 8-??, and whatever the other main market hub stations are. If you want to buy something, make a neutral market alt to buy your stuff and move it to a nearby system, or even another station in the same system.

Or do PVE in 0.0 and you're just as vulnerable regardless of what corp you're in.

Papillon on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    One per account.

Which is probably the best way to encourage multiple accounts I've ever seen. Even Blizzard's Refer A Friend program doesn't come close.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SiddySiddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's all about losing [Strike]spaceships[/Strike] [Strike]Space[/Strike] Alliance

Siddy on
    Siddy, don't make 650kb gifs your sig, damnit.
    villiage.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Papillon wrote: »

Karttoon, the ex-CEO of GoonFleet/Swarm booted everyone from GoonSwarm. The alliance has been reformed under the name SOLODRAKBANSOLODRAKBANSO [LODRA]. Since the full name of the alliance is a little unwieldy, we usually refer to the alliance by its ticker, LODRA.

Edit: If you're not doing PVE in one of the main mission hubs you should be fine. Just fit an improved cloak when you're travelling long distances and don't dock in Jita 4-4, Amarr 8-??, and whatever the other main market hub stations are. If you want to buy something, make a neutral market alt to buy your stuff and move it to a nearby system, or even another station in the same system.

Or do PVE in 0.0 and you're just as vulnerable regardless of what corp you're in.

I kinda meant running missions et all, not just random ratting.

So basically LODRA is Goonswarm after Karttoon left?

KiTA on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh Karttoon never left, he kicked everyone else out. :P

But in other words, yes, LODRA is what's left.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    fyastarter wrote: »
    So I posted in the recruitment thread about Deep Crows having very few active members, but I figured I'd reiterate here that we're still open for anyone wishing to join a Penny arcade corporation while Merchi has its own recruitment on hold, or dosen't yet meet the requirements therefor.

I might try to join Deep Crows, since I'm not quite ready to jump into 0.0 sec politics just yet. I'm on 7th day of my trial, and I should subscribe this weekend. There is something addicting to the game. I can't put my finger on it. It's weird, since LOTRO is my all time favorite MMO. And you can't get more different from LOTRO than EVE.

I mostly run level 1 missions in artillery fitted Trasher, while trying to learn the game. So far, the most fun I had was when doing a bit of exploring and just flying around. When searching for rats in 0.8 space, I followed rouge drone beacon and run straight into their hive. Managed to survive, and even kill their main complex, but the place sure gave me "you shouldn't be here" feeling. I also found unstable worm hole, went in, and instantly got shot at by some cruiser. I just managed to fly back into the worm hole with half my armor down. Since I survived, I guess it's a "win" in my first ever PVP :??

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm starting up a trial as well, any suggestions on character builds? I'm thinking of going Minmitar since Gallente ships look like crap and I've already tried Caldari and Amarr.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you're looking for ship aesthetics, Minmatar would not be my first choice. Each to their own, but Amarr ships are the best looking.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gallente ships are actually pretty nice overall. Caldari are the worse.

Lady Eri on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    If you're looking for ship aesthetics, Minmatar would not be my first choice. Each to their own, but Amarr ships are the best looking.

You can't even call the slaves' things they fly 'ships'. Things bloody fall off mid flight.

If they only stayed within our glorious rule, they might have some functioning infrastructure and not live like dogs.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Battleship class, sure, but there is not a single cooler looking frigate than the rifter.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Punisher > Rifter in looks.

Though the Rifter is cool.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Lady Eri wrote: »
    Gallente ships are actually pretty nice overall. Caldari are the worse.

This is definitely true. Minmatar and Amarr both have some nice looking ships but Gallente in general are the best, with the exception of the Dominix. Caldari ships just look like Frank Loyd Wright architecture viewed in 8-bit and turned sideways.

The coolest looking ships in the game, by far, are the rogue drones. They're just creepy.

Pel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's funny. When you get into T2, you get to fly base ship hulls you never knew existed because they were so terrible at T1 and you just jumped over them to the better end.

Like the Anathema being a Magnate hull. I still have to do a doubletake when I see someone flying an actual magnate.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Your Mileage May Vary. I almost rerolled a character with 9M skillpoints just so I could switch to Minmatar. :P

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Your Mileage May Vary. I almost rerolled a character with 9M skillpoints just so I could switch to Minmatar. :P

You might want to get that checked out by a doctor. I hear it can be fatal.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Minmatar ships are awesome when it comes to usefulness, especially after the latest arty buffs.

Gallente will still continue to suck it up as the bottom of the barrel though for the next year+

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've never trained projectiles. I can fly almost all T1 ships in Amarr, Caldari, and Gallente, with a fair amount of T2 in Amarr and Caldari, but I refuse to train Minmatar. It would just feel wrong.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i remember when gallente absolutely destroyed everything and everyone, you looked at a gallente ship wrong and you died

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm trying to think of a change that helped gallente, but honestly I can't remember anything since I started playing at least.

-drone bandwidth
    -hp buff
    -nos nerf
    -speed nerf
    -moros nerf

and subsequent buffs to the other races at the same time.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Way way way back, but also the drone-out-at-once reduction from 10 to 5.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The Daredevil and Dramiel are cool now, and they're half Gallente.

Seriously though Gallente are due for a serious buff soon. CCP will probably swing things waaaaay too far in their favor too.

Also you forgot the nerf to drones regenning shields instantly when you scooped them.

Pel on