As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] Hard to swallow

• Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    Why were people saying we should be training Industrial due to this new update that's coming in...

When is it coming anyway? 6 months? "When it's done?"

Dominion's already live and it's still not "done", per se.

Papillon on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm going to grief empire carebears with this planet thing somehow.

In their fanfest video CCP mentioned that if you pollute your district a lot, it will spread to neighboring districts.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    hazywater wrote: »

In their fanfest video CCP mentioned that if you pollute your district a lot, it will spread to neighboring districts.

How does that one work? Polluting your section of space somehow causes smog to something several lightyears away?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    OrosoOroso Enforcer PortlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Selecta wrote: »
    rucdoc wrote: »
    Devs have now confirmed that every planet in game is gonna be in play.

Link?

http://twitter.com/CCPGames/status/9492028227

Oroso on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There's an entire dev blog post about it.

Though, it's a new expansion, so I expect at least 6 months. We haven't even been told the planet mining mechanics.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    hazywater wrote: »

How does that one work? Polluting your section of space somehow causes smog to something several lightyears away?

They're talking about different districts on the same planet, I believe.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is CCP. They don't even know what the mining mechanics are, and when they do, it'll be hilariously broken for a month or two.

Economy wise, it'll be a glorious clusterfuck.

No, I'm not bitter about anything.

ReaperSMS on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wonder if this planetary mining is setting up the groundwork for T3 production. Regular mining supports T1 and moon mining supports T2, so it only seems natural.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wormholes are actually the t3 production area. So they've got that covered.

No idea yet what planetary could work with.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ehh, I only see Wormholes providing the blueprints and the initial components, much like exploration sites were for T2. The rest of the production stuff for T2 went to moons, hence my thoughts about T3 proceeding to planets.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So if a person wanted to get themselves set up to exploit this strange new clusterfuck... what skills? Aim for production style stuff and industry?

KiTA on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh kita, you shouldn't have

also no one really knows yet, for all we know they will add all new planet-focused skills

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    thanks oroso

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    oh kita, you shouldn't have

also no one really knows yet, for all we know they will add all new planet-focused skills

Hm, good point. Guess we'll know as it gets closer. :)

KiTA on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    in fact i'd say its highly likely they will, adding new skills is part of how they keep people with high skill points training new skills and not just crosstraining into ships they will never use.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, so I reactivated my account and I'm back in EVE, corpless, connectionless, and currently prepping a frigate for... whatever I decide to do. I say a frigate because i'm still choosing one. As tempting as piracy is, it's still a bit over my head skill wise, and i'm low on resources.

I'm trying to figure my options. Among those being, join a new corp. Anyone here have any suggestions, preferably ones involving corps your in/have connections to PA/would recommend? Or any other useful tips?

EDIT: I'm also ninja salvaging a bit in Amarr space for the time being but it's slow going.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Go through the tutorial. It's worth about 4 million isk, a full set of skillbooks, a full set of ships... including a destroyer, which should allow you to do L1 missions with ease.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Ok, so I reactivated my account and I'm back in EVE, corpless, connectionless, and currently prepping a frigate for... whatever I decide to do. I say a frigate because i'm still choosing one. As tempting as piracy is, it's still a bit over my head skill wise, and i'm low on resources.

I'm trying to figure my options. Among those being, join a new corp. Anyone here have any suggestions, preferably ones involving corps your in/have connections to PA/would recommend? Or any other useful tips?

EDIT: I'm also ninja salvaging a bit in Amarr space for the time being but it's slow going.

If you want to stick to frigates, get a Punisher fit for level 1 missions. Its fairly easy to do so, if you fly Amarr and have the skills for Small Energy Turrets.

PM me your account name if you want a few million isk to get you set up with a ship that you don't have to be too bothered if you lose.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You can probably apply to merchi, but who knows how Courthouse is feeling about apps these days. We're in a bit of a flux right now

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    DramatiesDramaties Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can only say, the tutorials are worth every minute of your time. It improved massively from the "help" you got some time ago. I'm in the same situation as you are, going to learn some salvaging while getting the skills right to pewpewpew the shit out of rats. I guess..

Dramaties on
  • Options
    DeausDeaus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kita your signature annoys me because it is similar in type of letters to my own name and I keep thinking someone sigged me.

Fitting Dominix for generic missions i think involves fitting a mean armor or shield tank (I don't know which the Dominix favours) with all NOS's and drone control units in the highs.

So I'm pretty new at this. Played before but never past the trial account, which is what I'm on right now. I enjoy the drone combat stuff and was a little bummed when I found out that they nerfed how many drones you could have out way back when. I looked up what Drone Controllers are... and turns out they up the number of drones you can have out. Sweet. :)

I'm confused though. Are you still capped by bandwidth for drones? Which pretty much means 5 drones at a time, since its 25 bandwidth per drone and a domi has 125 bandwidth, right? Also, I downloaded EVEHQ and was messing around with some fittings, you cant even get a drone controller on a domi can you? Its got 75000 power grid and a 7500 CPU usage, and a 99% redux on carriers. So it looks like a carrier only weapon to me, is that wrong?

Deaus on
    We, are all heroes! You and boo and I... hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

If you want to stick to frigates, get a Punisher fit for level 1 missions. Its fairly easy to do so, if you fly Amarr and have the skills for Small Energy Turrets.

PM me your account name if you want a few million isk to get you set up with a ship that you don't have to be too bothered if you lose.

That's awfully generous, thanks. :)

I have done quite a few missions and tutorial stuff and exhausted both the skillbooks and the ships. I can fly most every frigate right now except Minmatar, including a Punisher, but since I only just got back after a few months break, the only things I have are quite a few skills learned and no ships other then the free Amarr rookie ship, plus alot of turrets, ammo, sensors, a webifer, a warp scrambler, expanded cargos, some implants, usual stuff.
    The corp I joined my first day in EVE was prepping to do Caldari ships focusing on Black Ops, to form a fleet of ships to devour shields and disable enemies for cruisers and battleships. I began a training list following that sort of thing but only got far into the learning parts, plus what I learned for ninja salvaging and from tutorials.

For now I'm going to stay a free agent until I make decisions, but I'd like to be running some kind of missions. I'll get a good frigate out there for now and get some more moneys.

@Dhalphir What's your pilot name? Mine is The Azarak.

EDIT: In response to your ingame question, my timezone is EST. Eastern Standard. Thanks again for the 8 mill, I shall save it for my inevitable need to replace my frigates. And skillbooks.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The planet mining is probably a way for regular players, without access to moons or moon mining gear, to setup offline passive income sources. The money probably won't be huge, but it will be something players can setup, upkeep, and show up once or twice a week to grab stuff. I'm not sure about T2 components though, it really depends on where CCP wants the T2 market to be. My guess is that planets will have T2 components, though not in the massive quantities moons do. CCP wants T2 prices to come down, they've said so in the past. Dominion went the opposite way, as T2 prices actually went up quite a bit. If T3 is ever going to happen beyond a single cruisers (like, mods, or other ships), T2 will have to come way down in price, or T3 is going to have to get a lot better than it is.

I would expect to see another moon rebalance with this expansion too, probably knocking Technetium back down and hopefully getting some kind of real balance.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thinking I need to get back into this after playing STO and getting very bored due to lack of real customisation for ships. I haven't played for about 5 years now, so I'll probably just start a new character. Did I read somewhere that race/bloodline doesn't matter for skills so much anymore? Most of the Eve sites are blocked at work. :(

Kind of torn between Amarr and Minmatar, lasers seem pretty appealing but not worrying about cap usage for guns seems nice too...

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Race and bloodlines basically mean nothing now. You can remap your attributes (you get two remaps on a new character, then once those are used, you can remap once a year). And for the first 1.6m SP, you get a 100% training time bonus, so you can get up to 1.6m SP really fast. If you make a good plan, you can have a really good character up and going in a couple of weeks with the training bonus and implants.

For small gang stuff, T2 ships, basically everything sub-BS, go Minmatar. If you ever plan to fly BS in fleets, go Amarr. Amarr has great T2 ships and sub-BS, but they aren't Minmatar great.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So go memory/int, try and max learning skills then remap to perception + something else basically?

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Arasaki wrote: »
    So go memory/int, try and max learning skills then remap to perception + something else basically?

Basically, yep. I would hard max Mem/Int with my first remap, training Learning and all basic learning sub-skills to 4, then train all advanced learning to 3, train cybernetics 1, remap to perception, stick some +3's in my head, then go to town on making a good combat character.

This is provided you can get the cash from someone to do all that (you're looking at about 75m in skills and implants).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is there a way (other than looking on a wiki) to tell what kind of rats you're going to see on a combat mission, or in a probe site or anything? I ask cause right now my tank is icky, I'd like to move towards something a bit more active (Hardeners) and, well, yeah. It's not like I can just fit 1 of each hardener.

KiTA on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In the mission description it should say what rat type you will be facing.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just lost my first Punisher to a Ferox in low sec Minmatar space, the silly goose didn't even show mercy to my pod. Luckily i'm well insured and supplied as of now in the area, but it was still an interesting attempt by me to fight back right before he got me. He surprised me while I was undocking with my map up, noob mistake.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just lost my first Punisher to a Ferox in low sec Minmatar space, the silly goose didn't even show mercy to my pod. Luckily i'm well insured and supplied as of now in the area, but it was still an interesting attempt by me to fight back right before he got me. He surprised me while I was undocking with my map up, noob mistake.

Mercy to a pod? Pffft. The whole reason to blow someone's ship up is to get at the juicy frozen corpse inside, so you can add it to THE COLLECTION.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is there a way (other than looking on a wiki) to tell what kind of rats you're going to see on a combat mission, or in a probe site or anything? I ask cause right now my tank is icky, I'd like to move towards something a bit more active (Hardeners) and, well, yeah. It's not like I can just fit 1 of each hardener.

http://eveinfo.com/missions/

It's somewhat outdated, but generally still accurate, as far as damage types goes. At a glance you can tell what resist type to stack and what damage type to do for 90% of the missions.

Once you know the rat types yourself, then the mission itself tells you the rat types, and you can just extrapolate the resist and damage types to worry about.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Papillon wrote: »

I must be missing something very important about that description then. When I get a mission, I get told "The old space-well is acting up, go visit it. Watch out for pirates!"

I'll give it another look tonight after work. Yay tech support. GO TEAM SILLY GOOSE!

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I must be missing something very important about that description then. When I get a mission, I get told "The old space-well is acting up, go visit it. Watch out for pirates!"

I'll give it another look tonight after work. Yay tech support. GO TEAM SILLY GOOSE!

There will be an icon (unless it's drones, but drones will get mentioned specifically in the flavor text). Like the skull with bunny ears is Guristas, for instance. The icon will tell you what enemy types to expect.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »

There will be an icon (unless it's drones, but drones will get mentioned specifically in the flavor text). Like the skull with bunny ears is Guristas, for instance. The icon will tell you what enemy types to expect.

Holy. Shit. I can't believe I never noticed that!

Ok, so to make sure I have this right...

EANM + DC... they stack with Hardeners, right? But more than 2 EANM is stupid because of diminishing returns. Do active hardeners have diminishing returns? If not, then wouldn't 2 hardeners (50% bonus to each) make you immune to a specific damage type?

Would 4 hardeners, EANM, DC, and 1 LAR work as a good tank? Are 1600mms important enough to swap in there someplace?

KiTA on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The math is a bit complicated.

I'll copy this right out of the goonwiki:

"
    The stacking penalty for the nth module is

P = A^(n-1)^2

Where a is equal to 0.8691199806, which can be taken as 0.87 for most purposes.

The first module will have full effect, the second 87%, the third 57%, the fourth 28%, and so on."

Keep in mind that the effect on hardeners is such that if you have a, say, base 50% resistance, and you put on a 50% resist mod, you gain an additional 25% resistance - the module only affects the 'weak' part of your resistance. The base values (i.e. the 'built in' resistance) is NOT included int he stacking penalty.

If you stuck another 50% hardener on, you have 75 + (25 * .5 * .87) = 85.864 total resistance - an extra tenish percent. Of course, going from 75 damage reistance to 85 means you go from 25 damage taken to 15, which is about a 40% drop in damage.

tldr; EvE is math. Be lazy and use this calculator, or jsut use EvEmon.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Really just use EFT to figure it out. Active and passive hardeners are on the same diminishing return formula.

If you do like me, you'll have an EFT configuration for every major damage configuration you plan to deal with. Guristas, Serpentis, Bloods and Omni are the ones I have, everything else should follow in to one of those resist loops, unless you fight a lot of Angels, those will be slightly different. Then in-game, I have fitting window pre-sets for all those types and I just glance at the mission icon, know what package I should use, and load it up via pre-set. Once you have it all setup, it's pretty painless.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Perfectly CromulentPerfectly Cromulent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Holy. Shit. I can't believe I never noticed that!

Ok, so to make sure I have this right...

EANM + DC... they stack with Hardeners, right? But more than 2 EANM is stupid because of diminishing returns. Do active hardeners have diminishing returns? If not, then wouldn't 2 hardeners (50% bonus to each) make you immune to a specific damage type?

Would 4 hardeners, EANM, DC, and 1 LAR work as a good tank? Are 1600mms important enough to swap in there someplace?

Apogee's post is a good summary of how resists and module stacking penalties work. A couple more tips:

1) DPS tanked/second is what you are looking for in missions. Buffer doesn't really help you, so don't fit plates.

2) 1 LAR + 4 Hardeners + EANM + DC is totally overkill. 1 LAR + 4 Hardeners specific to the rats you are fighting (2 Kinetic + 2 Thermal for Serpentis, for example) should be plenty for most missions.

3) IIRC, Damage Controls are not stacking penalized like other resist modules are.

Perfectly Cromulent on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I can confirm that, DC's are not stacking penalized, which is why everyone likes to fit them.

Not sure about a Domi, but on my CNR, my tank consists of: Large Booster, 4 Mission Specific Hardeners and a Boost Amp (I know there is no armor equivalent to those, outside of rigs). The issue with armor, and why most people end up running double LAR's, is that by a rule of game mechanics, armor just doesn't rep as quickly as shields. You can get a much stiffer shield tank put together than you can an armor tank, with equivalent mods.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mission setups only: DCs are best on shield tanked ships. For an armor tanker, a DC is simply not optimal when compared to a EANM or another hardener.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online