As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My ass is a quivering mess (Bigman Thread)

• Options
    RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Been doing Starting Strength for about 2 months now and I already feel and look better now than I ever have in my life. Four years ago I was a fattyfattyfatty but since joining the military I've been in the dreaded skinny-fat zone where I look skinny but I'm actually all flab and jiggles.

Hey, that sounds a lot like me! I'm improving though, currently 2 months into 'serious' strength training (meaning: I've been going to a proper gym and doing squats on regular basis for two months, before that I did like 1½ months of not so serious training at a shit gym). Trying to not gain too much weight, as I've got a bodyfat % that's too high for my liking, a scale that says 198, and I'm still only squatting 67.5 kg. Bah, I just want to be a bigman that's actually strong too!

In other news, I hurt my lower back today doing squats. I think my back might have been rounded a bit too much. Hopefully it'll be better by tomorrow, because today I had to cut my workout short. It doesn't hurt as much as it did after the workout, thankfully.

Rasmus on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    I'm going small so I can go big though

What do you think Mikhail Koklyaev would have to say about that?

He'd be too busy rocking people's worlds to care, probably

In all seriousness, the 150kg muscle snatch that he does as his third lift in this video is unreal.

Edit: Even Kevin Nee is giving it up for Misha in the Youtube comments.

big l on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

How is that coming, by the way?

the wook on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    big l wrote: »

What do you think Mikhail Koklyaev would have to say about that?

He'd be too busy rocking people's worlds to care, probably

In all seriousness, the 150kg muscle snatch that he does as his third lift in this video is unreal.

Edit: Even Kevin Nee is giving it up for Misha in the Youtube comments.

He is a beast.

On another note I just had some awful news relayed to me while stuck here at work. I usually cope with such things by lifting. Not being able too is making for one hell of a day.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This weekend I start collecting the parts I need to build my chain yoke. It will be so awesome. And by awesome, I mean ball busting:

366 kg Chain Yoke Carry

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jyardana, that post brought a tear to my eye. Repeat 200s can go to hell. Also, day 6 sounds like a monster, I hope you don't plan on doing a damn thing after that one!

Haha yeah, day six is definitely harsh but after the first week or so I've adjusted to the volume and I'm only kind of sore for the next day.

That chain yoke is the kind of thing you should never video tape yourself doing. The alien overlords will single you out for manual labor

Jyardana on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so

a personal trainer at my gym interupted me in the middle of a squat set to give me form pointers.

On one hand, I appreciate the advice. It was a solid tip, as far as I can tell.

But can you freaking wait until I'm done with the set? Now I didn't do a 3X5 so I gotta stick at the same weight next week. Bleh.

Hmm overall shitty day at the gym. Stalled on power cleans too. And I have a bit of shoulder pain from pressing. Dammit I thought I could at least get away with presses while I gave my shoulder a chance to heal.

But I've just made the most glorious pizza

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Maaaan, so it has been nearly four weeks since 0 period/Football started

I went ahead and weighed myself today, just for shits and giggles

I have dropped 10 pounds!

I love Football.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish 70s big would quit their subtle gay-bashing (jokes, saying "no homo" a few times, that kinda shit). They are relatively intelligent but bigotry makes me lose a lot of respect for anyone.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, that does suck. There's also quite a bit of sexism in lifting as well.... annoying

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    so

a personal trainer at my gym interupted me in the middle of a squat set to give me form pointers.

But can you freaking wait until I'm done with the set? Now I didn't do a 3X5 so I gotta stick at the same weight next week. Bleh.

Hmm overall shitty day at the gym. Stalled on power cleans too. And I have a bit of shoulder pain from pressing. Dammit I thought I could at least get away with presses while I gave my shoulder a chance to heal.

What an asshole. I would be pissed. During my squat workout today I was letting some dude work in with me on the rack in between sets, and he would be hanging out while I was squatting. Every time I had a hard rep, he would kind of lunge forward like he was going to spot me in the most ineffective way you can imagine, then think better of it at the last second. I was thinking "Dude, not only is there no way I miss this rep, I'm inside a rack, and if I do miss it, I'll just put it on the pins. Back the fuck up and quit moving in my peripheral vision, it's distracting." But there isn't really a polite way to say that to someone who at least has good intentions at heart.

big l on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so

so if you didn't do a 3x5 on the squat what the fuck did you do

and what's stopping you from moving up in weight if you could move the weight at whatever it is you did?

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    so

and what's stopping you from moving up in weight if you could move the weight at whatever it is you did?

He interrupted me halfway through my 2nd set so I did 1X5, 1X3, 1X5.

I suppose nothing is stopping me... I'm just OCD about following rules.

So this dude passes out after a deadlift PR

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i think you can safely add the weight and not worry about it

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    Played soccer tonight, my leg is sore but in a good way, I think. I really need to get back into cardio because 3+ months of limited mobility has really fucked me up something fierce.

Also, fuck 11PM games.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Crazy LarryCrazy Larry Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Ouch, that guy had to wake up with a hell of headache. If I was that guy and I saw that video I'd be pissed that (what I assume is) his friend laughing about him face planting into a weight rack.

Crazy Larry on
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    Played soccer tonight, my leg is sore but in a good way, I think. I really need to get back into cardio because 3+ months of limited mobility has really fucked me up something fierce.

Also, fuck 11PM games.

I can't fucking stand 11pm games, speaking of which, I have one this Saturday. Super, thanks guys, like my weekend isn't short enough as it is?

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    our playoffs are worse. Every team gets two late games (fortunately our other one is 10:15 which isnt that bad), but playoffs can easily go past 1AM depending on how many teams there are, and there's no break between games so if you're in the finals you've been playing for probably two hours straight.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just finished a late soccer game. Go us.

I'm a pretty terrible goalie, people score on me way too easy XD
    pun intended

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jagged WafflesJagged Waffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So this would have been the week that I did 5x5 squats of my body weight, but that's going to have to wait. Instead I'll be driving 10 hours each way for a track meet. Hopefully I'll be able to compete in some sprints as well as the longer distance I'm scheduled for.

At least I'll have no problem when it comes time for the BW squats.

Jagged Waffles on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so

He interrupted me halfway through my 2nd set so I did 1X5, 1X3, 1X5.

I suppose nothing is stopping me... I'm just OCD about following rules.

When I did 3x5s the rule was if you completed 13/15 you could move up next session.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, I may be sick, but I bought myself presents to feel better.

BB_small.jpg

The squat stand was actually given away by a friend of mine in January. But I just purchased the barbell and weights today to make it useful.
    Not a bad deal. I bought from a commercial supplier. The bar doesn't spin perfectly, but I got $40 off because of it (something got stuck in the bearings during transport and it had to be taken apart and cleaned). I picked that one because the others I was shown had too 'shallow' a knurl, and felt slippery. This one doesn't spin as well as the rest, but the knurl was rougher, and combined with the $40 off I decided to run with it. I've tested a few power cleans and I'm more than happy with how it operates thus far. It's chrome, and it's not suitable for dropping from overhead. But it was well within my price range.

The bumpers were the last of their kind in that warehouse and being cleared, so I got them for $2.20 per kilo. That's ridiculous: it's cheaper than standard-sized (not-O-bar) iron plates in sports stores. They were pretty greasy, especially one of the 10kg plates, but I washed them with a cloth and some soapy water and got most of the slipperiness off. So I have a pair each of 25kgs, 20kgs and 10kgs. I haven't weighed them yet to see how closely they match the actual marked weight.

The black plates are just your standard rubber coated ones.

So anyway, I still intend on using my gym membership for heavy lifting because it's air-conditioned, cheap as hell and there are people around in case I pass out or drop something on myself (plus, you know, there are benches, cable machines, dip bars etc.). But I think it'll be awesome to just go downstairs for a quick 20-30min session of whatever supplemental work I want to do. It will give me more programming options.

Oh, and I'm vain enough to request that my quads be placed in the OP. Is that possible, psyck0?
    20090815_legs.jpg

Just have to wait out this damn pharyngitis and I can lift with my new shiny things.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish my quads would have been in the op :(

Anyone else think that that guy in the vid didn't pass out but had a stroke?

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    I wish my quads would have been in the op :(

Anyone else think that that guy in the vid didn't pass out but had a stroke?
    That would be horrible, instead of mildly amusing.

Moral of the story is don't forget to breathe?

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So normally I don't use my ipod in the gym, but this recent flux of resolutioners has given me no choice. I've dusted off my old ipod shuffle and filled it with nothing but RATM and Lamb of God.

What songs/bands do you guys listen to in the gym?

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So normally I don't use my ipod in the gym, but this recent flux of resolutioners has given me no choice. I've dusted off my old ipod shuffle and filled it with nothing but RATM and Lamb of God.

I usually listen to a lot of ambient kinds of things. Mogwai/65daysofstatic/that kind of thing. It helps keep my breathing in check. Some days, though, I need some motivation and break out the Every Time I Die or Refused or something.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I actually listen to a lot of podcasts; I find that most of the time music just screws up my rhythm and gets on my nerves. I listen to it before I start to get pumped up but after I start it's all Rebel FM and Giant Bombcast.

Peen on
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I only listen to music while doing cardio. Rammstein most of the time.

HoA-player on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    After reading Starting Strength, my squats made me sore in my glutes for the first time!

That's right, Mark Rippetoe made my ass hurt.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What does it mean when squats make your inner thighs sore? Form problem?

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I don't -- I actually just enjoy the music they play in the gym (classic rock.) If your max doesn't go up 10 pounds when "Born in the USA" is on, you ain't human.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My leg feels fine today, not even sore :D

probably won't do anything today but will go for a run tomorrow.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    RasmusRasmus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    celandine wrote: »

I don't -- I actually just enjoy the music they play in the gym (classic rock.) If your max doesn't go up 10 pounds when "Born in the USA" is on, you ain't human.

Or maybe you're non-American!

My lower back still hurts from yesterday. Hope it's over by tomorrow, so I can work out.

Rasmus on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Watch Roy go

I've set more PRs to Disturbed than anything else

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    my gym doesnt play music

i dont bring music when i lift

its cool

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you heard the ridiculous radio DJs that get played at my gym you would bring music.

They are basically Billl and Marty from the simpsons. Only cornier.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

nah, that's probably your adductors. They're usually what get the most sore for me. You use them in stabilizing your knees. As long as your knees track the path of your foot and don't start buckling in, you're fine

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I can't handle lifting with headphones on, that loss of sense of my surroundings really throws me off

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It means you are keeping your knees out which is good. The groin adductors usually get sore for people early on because most people never use them but those muscles get stronger fast. You are doing it right.
    Solvent wrote: »
    BB_small.jpg

Bad ass. I would really like to get a rack set up in my garage, but I figure next time I move it will probably not be to a place with a big enough garage and I don't want to be stuck with a power rack I can't store anywhere. That's a great deal on bumpers, you are lucky.

big l on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm beginning to shop around for houses. One of the first things I do is go into the garage and make sure a power rack would fit properly.

Brucelee41042 on
This discussion has been closed.