As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Bioware: Yes, we are racist ;_;

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No, its not random, you get a message when you enter a system thats near the mission they want you to do. But still, there's a big leap between that and "Scan every planet in every system to find any significiant number of missions".

Also, whats this press the light up controller thing? That must be a 360 thing, the PC minigame in ME1 was this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NlyIYNeM5s

and yeah, maybe from a purely gameplay perspective, standard sort of reloading is better but I liked the way ME1 was unique in that way, you had to approach combat differently, at least until you upgraded the heat system into irrelevance.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    by the looks of it you like it better because its 0.5 seconds faster.

and you really didnt have to approach combat differently, it was shoot shoot shoot, wait 5 seconds until the gun cools down, repeat.

combat and mechanics are so much more in me2.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    Like the upper Afterlife track. :/ The lower one was easy to find in the game data. I don't remember running across the one you're talking about either when I dug through the easily convertible stuff.

amb_omghub_music_lounge.ogg under wwise_omghub_streaming. Or, more easily, YouTube. Despite being a song from the 90s, the ME2 one is the best quality YT.
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    -Better decryption minigame. I know the little triangle gets tedious after a while, but I'd sooner do thirty of those than try to do that stupid circuit-matching thing in ME2. The code segment one wasn't too bad but FUCK that little circuit piece of shit. Not even an option to bypass it with some resource like ME1 had.

Definitely this. That triangle game could be conquered in a couple of seconds, whereas the bypass game means mousing back and forth a lot more. The worst part is the bypass game is the one that's required to advance most of the time.

Also, you forgot (mostly) skippable cutscenes in ME2.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm the opposite.

I liked the circuit because it was over quick. The code on the other hand took to long unless you got all the right code in the first few scrolls.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In other words.....what they already did in BG 2? :P

That pretty much goes for everything, honestly. If all their games were just that...but different, there'd be nothing to improve.

this is a few pages late, but freedom to include more character interaction goes up exponentially in a game without 100% voice-acted lines. Its very easy to allow infinite character development, and things like party member interactions with each other, when all you have to do is type the lines. In a fully voice-acted game, the costs for things like that start to add up.

That's not an argument against character interaction, that is an argument against voice acting.

If it comes down to it I'd rather have voice acting.

Also, fuck the ME1 minigame. Minigames should not be impossible to beat a quarter of the time.

Scooter on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    /Niles Crane On

What a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate my obviously superior intellect !

/Niles Crane Off

I never had a problem with either hacking game; they both require a bit of thought but are over quickly and are a nice change of pace. The only hack which grew tiresome was the big double-door on Horizon
    which you hacked to reach the broadcast antenna. If you died during the first round of the battle, you reverted back to the autosave just before hacking the door. Re-hacking the same door five or six times gets pretty old.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    -Better decryption minigame. I know the little triangle gets tedious after a while, but I'd sooner do thirty of those than try to do that stupid circuit-matching thing in ME2. The code segment one wasn't too bad but FUCK that little circuit piece of shit. Not even an option to bypass it with some resource like ME1 had.

Have to say I prefer the circuit bypass game to the old console Simon game. Sure it was quicker, but just pressing matching buttons on the controller seemed so trivial and unrelated to the game that it ruined the immersion. At least with the new mini-games it seems like I'm doing some spy shit.

ME3 needs to have a system wherein every time you beat the game, you can buy an item that bypasses a mini-game. So if you beat the game once, you can buy a Auto-Code Hacker, or Auto-Bypass Module. Beat the game again and you can buy something else. The Long Service Award was an excellent idea, but it should keep getting bigger every time you beat the game until you don't have to do any of the mini-games or resource gathering if you don't want to after, like, your third time through. PC players don't have to put up with scanning but us poor console schmucks are stuck.

The Big Levinsky on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »

they both require a bit of thought

No they don't...they're just there to waste time. Which is why the one that is over quickest is the most preferable.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Have to say I prefer the circuit bypass game to the old console Simon game. Sure it was quicker, but just pressing matching buttons on the controller seemed so trivial and unrelated to the game that it ruined the immersion. At least with the new mini-games it seems like I'm doing some spy shit.

I still wish they'd kept the old ME1 system, where if you had a team member with a high enough tech power, you could just bypass the game entirely. Yeah, they had to do away with it because of how they changed the team-building mechanics, but it got you out of the "LOL MINIGAME" bullshit. It's not fun, it's tedious as fuck, and it breaks the pace so bad.

Honestly, I'd rather just have them take it out in the next game.
    ME3 needs to have a system wherein every time you beat the game, you can buy an item that bypasses a mini-game. So if you beat the game once, you can buy a Auto-Code Hacker, or Auto-Bypass Module. Beat the game again and you can buy something else.

THIS.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    I still wish they'd kept the old ME1 system, where if you had a team member with a high enough tech power, you could just bypass the game entirely. Yeah, they had to do away with it because of how they changed the team-building mechanics, but it got you out of the "LOL MINIGAME" bullshit. It's not fun, it's tedious as fuck, and it breaks the pace so bad.

THIS.
    That was why you brought Tali on every mission, because she could hack a rusty bicycle pump. Turned out that wasn't necessary because I soon had enough Omni-Gel to float an aircraft carrier from converting all of the useless crap the game kept dumping into my inventory.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

THIS.

If the minigames are excruciating enough that they reward you with a way to skip them, maybe they should just take them out.

Serpent on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fairchild wrote: »
    That was why you brought Tali on every mission, because she could hack a rusty bicycle pump. Turned out that wasn't necessary because I soon had enough Omni-Gel to float an aircraft carrier from converting all of the useless crap the game kept dumping into my inventory.

Speaking of which, in the category of things ME2 did right, getting rid of omni-gel falls somewhere in my top 10. That had to be one of the most bipolar gaming mechanics ever, you either have too much of the shit and you don't have to do anything lock-related for the rest of the game, or you have too little, and when you go out on a Mako mission, you're fucked.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Successful hacks in ME1 did you give experience, but I found Shepard leveling so quickly that slopping omni-gel around was no big loss.

I do agree, tho, that removing omni goop was a great idea. It has all the signs of something that was built early as a neato idea and kept in the game even when the need for it had gone.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Serpent wrote: »

THIS.

If the minigames are excruciating enough that they reward you with a way to skip them, maybe they should just take them out.

it's like mineral mining

fine the first time, tedious the nth time

in a game designed to be played multiple times, the ability to skip tedious conversations, hacks, and mineral farming that you have done before could really be useful

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Serpent wrote: »

THIS.

It's hard to argue with that. Maybe they should just handle it like when you are restarting the engines on the Broken Arrow. You just have to keep holding down the action button for a few seconds until a bar that says like "BYPASSING" fills up and if you get shot you have to start over. Except maybe have an animation for when you're doing it, like you see Shepard put away his gun and start fiddling with his Omni-Tool while the bar is filling up.

I do like the idea of having certain teammates able to open harder locks for you, but I don't like the idea of always having to bring a techie along for fear I'm going to miss out on some credits or resources.

The Big Levinsky on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    it's like mineral mining

in a game designed to be played multiple times, the ability to skip tedious conversations, hacks, and mineral farming that you have done before could really be useful

I wouldn't say it's "fine" the first time out, I'd say more like "tolerable". Bioware should really make an effort to weed out any activity wherein the player would never have an opportunity to say "Holy shit, that was awesome!!!"

The Big Levinsky on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like this idea.

how about each char has an unlocking skill rank, and doing more unlocks improves it, and if you're above the level for a lock you just get a 2-3 second progress bar that is interruptible, and if you're below it you have to actually do the mini game.

I think that would save the whole "omg I'm hacking into the main frame" feel for when it's important, like the door that opens the final room of an area, or when doing something really crafty, and doesn't dillute it by making you "hack" open every chest you come across.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it's like mineral mining

I wouldn't say it's "fine" the first time out, I'd say more like "tolerable". Bioware should really make an effort to weed out any activity wherein the player would never have an opportunity to say "Holy shit, that was awesome!!!"

mining is awesome, the first time

nice music, nice sounds, and you get something good out of it (minerals for research upgrades)

but the second time through it's exactly the same task, unlike the combat or the dialogue, so that's when it wears you down. same with hacking.

things don't need to be "holy shit awesome" 24/7, because having downtime inbetween missions to fiddle and research and buy stuff accentuates the big moments

Nuzak on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Like the upper Afterlife track. :/ The lower one was easy to find in the game data. I don't remember running across the one you're talking about either when I dug through the easily convertible stuff.

amb_omghub_music_lounge.ogg under wwise_omghub_streaming. Or, more easily, YouTube. Despite being a song from the 90s, the ME2 one is the best quality YT.

Wwise_OmgHub_Streaming.afc->ogg is lower Afterlife; there is no file in the Steam version named amb_omghub_music_lounge.afc. :/ If you've got it, mind shooting me a copy?

Orca on
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    it's like mineral mining

nice music, nice sounds, and you get something good out of it (minerals for research upgrades)

but the second time through it's exactly the same task, unlike the combat or the dialogue, so that's when it wears you down. same with hacking.

things don't need to be "holy shit awesome" 24/7, because having downtime inbetween missions to fiddle and research and buy stuff accentuates the big moments

This is exactly why I won't be playing through the game a second time. It's already pretty bad when you need ~200k of each mineral to get all the upgrades. If they let you keep them or made them free on the NG+ that would be a different story. I wouldn't even care if I had to find or buy them again as long as it applied without me having to go mine minerals.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like this idea.

how about each char has an unlocking skill rank, and doing more unlocks improves it, and if you're above the level for a lock you just get a 2-3 second progress bar that is interruptible, and if you're below it you have to actually do the mini game.

I think that would save the whole "omg I'm hacking into the main frame" feel for when it's important, like the door that opens the final room of an area, or when doing something really crafty, and doesn't dillute it by making you "hack" open every chest you come across.

Interesting idea, but you'd probably want to roll the hacking skill into everyone's passive skill instead of being determined by the number of locks they've already opened. Or maybe roll it into the Overload and AI Hacking abilities so if you max out Overload that character can bypass medium difficulty locks, and if you max out AI Hacking, then that character can bypass anything.

The whole mini-game thing still seems like a punishment though due to it not being exciting at all. I'm leaning more and more towards the "get rid of them" camp. Or have them only pop up once or twice in situations where you only have a few seconds to do the bypass before another wave of enemies show up.

The Big Levinsky on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it's like mineral mining

This is exactly why I won't be playing through the game a second time. It's already pretty bad when you need ~200k of each mineral to get all the upgrades. If they let you keep them or made them free on the NG+ that would be a different story. I wouldn't even care if I had to find or buy them again as long as it applied without me having to go mine minerals.

If you've got a PC you can cheat yourself more mins quite easily. If you don't...um...I dunno. Is there a way to transfer your game to the PC so you can edit the save file and then transfer it back?

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    if you don't, you get more than enough minerals from the missions for all the vital upgrades

it's not like the game is impossible without the +10% assault rifle damage upgrade

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I liked scanning. And hacking. And bypassing. I am obviously Bioware's target audience.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    if you don't, you get more than enough minerals from the missions for all the vital upgrades

it's not like the game is impossible without the +10% assault rifle damage upgrade

It kinda sucks on insane when you don't have the damage upgrades tho'. Is there enough to at least get the headshot/critical hit/extra ammo/etc., upgrades? 'cuz I'm thinking maybe no.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ME3 should just start by asking you if you like stuff that isn't fun.

If you say yes, then mini-games are turned on.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wwise_OmgHub_Streaming.afc->ogg is lower Afterlife; there is no file in the Steam version named amb_omghub_music_lounge.afc. :/ If you've got it, mind shooting me a copy?

There are multiple oggs per afc. Use Gibbed's audio extractor if you're not already. PMed a copy just to be on the safe side.
    24exkk5.jpg
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Q: What was your favorite game?
    1: METAL GEAR SOLID 1
    2: METAL GEAR SOLID 2

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It kinda sucks on insane when you don't have the damage upgrades tho'. Is there enough to at least get the headshot/critical hit/extra ammo/etc., upgrades? 'cuz I'm thinking maybe no.

you have to unlock insanity though, so you'd get 50k minerals that way. that's easily enough for a few damage upgrades in some choice weapons or some shield/health upgrades

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It is only fitting that this thread hit 100 pages and roll over to a new thread on Kasumi Day.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    smof wrote: »
    I liked scanning. And hacking. And bypassing. I am obviously Bioware's target audience.

I got tired of ME1's but ME2's was much better and I like it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "commander shepard? kasumi goto. i'm a fan."

*shot in the foot*

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    smof wrote: »

I got tired of ME1's but ME2's was much better and I like it.

Yeah. There's only a few areas (like Garrus's loyalty quest) where it feels like they overdid it. Otherwise it takes 10 seconds and whatever.
    After all, it's easy to ignore Liara's hacking BS.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

There are multiple oggs per afc. Use Gibbed's audio extractor if you're not already. PMed a copy just to be on the safe side.
    24exkk5.jpg
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Q: What was your favorite game?
    1: METAL GEAR SOLID 1
    2: METAL GEAR SOLID 2

Ah...I had a straight audio extractor. It probably just grabbed the first ogg out of each afc.

*mutter* Thanks for the help!

Orca on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I thought the hacking things in ME2 were fairly well done. I just wish there had been a few more different ones so that they wouldn't seem so repetitive. There are very few things worse than repetitive mini-games.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    I thought the hacking things in ME2 were fairly well done. I just wish there had been a few more different ones so that they wouldn't seem so repetitive. There are very few things worse than repetitive mini-games.

Unskippable quick time events that kill you if you fail them?

Orca on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I cannot fathom why unskippable cut scenes still exist. I'm glad this game is about 90% skippable (as far as cutscenes go) but what the hell is taking everyone so long to implement the ability to skip them? Especially with games like this where you will play through it multiple times.

urahonky on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    I cannot fathom why unskippable cut scenes still exist. I'm glad this game is about 90% skippable (as far as cutscenes go) but what the hell is taking everyone so long to implement the ability to skip them? Especially with games like this where you will play through it multiple times.

Well, in most games it's a "good" way to pad the game's duration, I'd imagine. Action games and such especially.

reVerse on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i thought both hacking minigames in ME2 were great. D:

both at least tried to give you the impression of pantomiming the hack, rather than Concentric Ring Frogger for EVERYTHING.

!!

i just remembered - does ME2 have a towers of hanoi segment? i don't remember one. D:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's the thread title in reference to?

Leitner on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I liked both the ME2 minigames well enough. Much better done than the first game, anyway (also better than bioshock's recent pipedream reprise.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget