edited April 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Guys and gals that are awesome

Derrida
    Deleuze
    Foucault
    Butler
    Badiou

Why are all the authors you like on the front side of the alphabet?

Winky on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I feel like the first step in looking towards writing for a living is to realize you probably won't be a J.K Rowling or a Stephenie Meyer or a Stephen King or hell, even an Alex Kava or Alice Sebold.

I'd be happy writing things on demand for companies. Product descriptions or whatever.

My greatest hope is that I will never be a Stephanie Meyer.

She's rich as fuck. Say what you will about her books but she could probably buy herself an island and a legion of manslaves and rule it with an iron fist.

I would rather get my dick stabbed off with a spoon than make money writing the cultural and societal atrocities that are the Twilight books.
    I fell little loyalty to society. I'm more concerned with my own happiness than society's

If you could become incredibly rich by pretending to be a Republican, would you do it?

Sure I hate minorities, females who think, and poor people.
    Note I don't actually.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I seriously think you should try to get some of your unerotica published Cass.

I bet you some interstitial publishers would pick it up or something.

I don't know how to get published or I totally would write awful books about people fucking non stop.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I read a little foucault

he seemed a'ight

Elendil on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2010
    The Twilight books are not boy bands.

The Twilight books represent a commercialization of domestic abuse and gender inequality. Stephanie Meyers and all of the people who made her book series a success are responsible for a serious setback in how a significant number of people view relationships and gender.

If I was responsible for that I would think I had just committed a God damn warcrime.

i don't know how i feel about your dedication to feminism, sarks

i mean on one hand it feels kind of heroic and idealistic

and on the other it feels kind of naive and maybe ignorant

it probably speaks well of your character in general though

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I bought a book that is a starter sort of thing for philosophy I guess

It's the philosophy of Watchmen

I was kind of expecting it to be more of a social sciences sort of thing but nope it's straight out philosophy

I'm kind of struggling with it. I just don't think philosophy is for me.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I don't know how to get published or I totally would write awful books about people fucking non stop.

I don't know, I'm sure it can't be that hard to figure out how to get published.

I assume it involves basically sending out your manuscript to everyone you can.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    people don't read Foucault, they just hold it prominently in coffee shops in a futile attempt to get laid

Camus is the same way

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    Derrida is a genius writer because derrida consciously tries to write in an unspeakable, and possibly even unthinkable, language.

Your definition of "genius" is broken.

Often when I read a book and the language therein is unspeakable and especially unthinkable, I am more inclined to assume the author is retarded.

I wouldn't go this far, but I would say that the kind of language experiments that Derrida was doing probably more properly belong to the realm of literature and not philosophy. I think this accounts for his popularity in English departments.

Possibly, but I think it's more that Derrida's form of post-structuralism really hit the spot of the radically liberal lit studies depts in America in the late 70's.

It's a big beef I have with a lot of lit studies people, because they go on and on about Derrida, but, until the 90's he was basically never doing anything but attacking metaphysics. Then in the 90's he started attacking political concepts like justice, but nobody talks about Spectres of Marx in the first place.

Derrida would have hated you dividing philosophy and literature. Why would there ever be such a divide?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    people don't read Foucault, they just hold it prominently in coffee shops in a futile attempt to get laid

Camus is the same way

uh Camus is actually super readable.

Hachface on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Step one: Seek out an agent.
    Step two: Talk with an agent that thinks they can help you get published.
    Step three: Keep turning out books while the agent shops you around.
    Step four: If all goes well, collect your pay.

And I was wrong about Harlequin. They average a $4800 advance with 6% royalties now apparently.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Camus is the same way

Camus is easy to read.

He's just a retard.

Winky on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    A friend of mine used to write professionally for Hustler and Leg Sex magazine.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »

The Twilight books represent a commercialization of domestic abuse and gender inequality. Stephanie Meyers and all of the people who made her book series a success are responsible for a serious setback in how a significant number of people view relationships and gender.

If I was responsible for that I would think I had just committed a God damn warcrime.

I am really starting to get annoyed with the utterly ridiculous level the whole gender equality debate has reached on this forum.

Whatever. I doubt it coincides with Twilight since they've been around for much longer, but you might have those books to thank in part. Regardless, whatever I'm saying is absolutely correct. Have you read the books? Have you at least read something like Mark Reads Twilight? Are you aware of the affect those books have had on its fans? Have you seen the Youtube video where a counselor teaches men how to be like Edward Cullen because Edward Cullen is apparently regarded as the perfect boyfriend? A guy who is controlling, manipulative, abusive, and disrespectful? You don't see how that's fucked up?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would much rather read Umberto Eco than Derrida because he infinitely more readable.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hate Derrida less after having read Homi Bhabha.

I still don't like the way Derrida writes (is translated?) at all.

Derrida is a genius writer because derrida consciously tries to write in an unspeakable, and possibly even unthinkable, language. Derrida's style is a conscious attempt to avoid the traps that other philosophers have fallen into, specifically Hegel and Heidegger.

That being said, yes it is an absolute BITCH to read and translation renders that doubly-so.

You are forgetting that he was a douche (okay. egotist) absolutely determined to prove other folks wrong.

You are forgetting that.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Derrida would have hated you dividing philosophy and literature. Why would there ever be such a divide?

This is a decent question. I will give it some thought.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

Camus is the same way

uh Camus is actually super readable.

Could be, but nobody in history has seriously tried

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I feel like shit this morning, btw.

Dislike my actual job. =/

Aldo on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Would it be possible to create some sort of Pokemon trainer club

so that the people who know about it would wear a badge if they had their ds on them

and someone else who recognizes the badge would know they could challenge them to a battle like randomly if they happened to meet somewhere

like say if i was riding the skytrain, and someone with the badge walked on

James on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    how is edward's relationship with bella abusive, as i understand it the relationship is more or less guided by her choices and decisions including the one to keep her child (i've never read the books, i've only read the wiki plot synopsis).

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTGwFZxRRbU&feature=related
    god damn this is the first time I've gotten this jazzed about a new composer for a while now

Elendil on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

All I know about the books is that my gf has been trying to read the first one for months. Not because she's necessarily savoring it page by page, but because too much stupid at one time is too much for her.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Leg Sex?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    how is edward's relationship with bella abusive, as i understand it the relationship is more or less guided by her choices including the one to keep her child (i've never read the books, i've only read the wiki plot synopsis)

Edward comes into her room at night without her knowledge to watch her sleep (before and after they are in a relationship), if she walks away from him before he wants her to he grabs her hard by the arm (hard enough to bruise), he cuts her brakes to try to stop her from talking to Jacob, he isolates her from her family and friends, and at the end of the book she is a stay at home mom who has, iirc, not finished high school.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited April 2010
    I would much rather read Umberto Eco than Derrida because he infinitely more readable.

eco is a lot of fun IMO

but he mostly writes kind of fun fictions or kind of whimsical little essays, not Serious Treatises for Serious Academics

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »

i don't know how i feel about your dedication to feminism, sarks

i mean on one hand it feels kind of heroic and idealistic

and on the other it feels kind of naive and maybe ignorant

it probably speaks well of your character in general though

Feminism is something I have felt for a long time I didn't dedicate enough of my attention to. In the recent months it's kind of appeared suddenly as something I find very important. Reading Twilight definitely has had something to do with it. I am still learning and my positions are possibly extreme and I will definitely change how I think on a number of things. But right now I think I am right.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Leg Sex?

"Welcome to LegSex.com, home of hardcore slutty leg girls, foot fetish enthusiasts, hot foot jobs, and fem dom action."

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I am really starting to get annoyed with the utterly ridiculous level the whole gender equality debate has reached on this forum.

Whatever. I doubt it coincides with Twilight since they've been around for much longer, but you might have those books to thank in part. Regardless, whatever I'm saying is absolutely correct. Have you read the books? Have you at least read something like Mark Reads Twilight? Are you aware of the affect those books have had on its fans? Have you seen the Youtube video where a counselor teaches men how to be like Edward Cullen because Edward Cullen is apparently regarded as the perfect boyfriend? A guy who is controlling, manipulative, abusive, and disrespectful? You don't see how that's fucked up?

There are plenty of books that are predominately bought by women that have pretty fucked up worldviews, so singling out Twilight seems a bit off to me.

Twilight is a symptom of a larger illness (should you choose to view it that way).

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    @DUE: I have no idea what you are talking about. Derrida, by all accounts, was a pretty fantastic person.

Indeed, he was a DICK to argue against, as John Searle found out, because he would pour over every little word and turn them all against you and he would rather deliciously oscillate between attacking you with classical metaphysics and then taking your metaphysical arguments and deconstructing them, but that's just intellectual rigor, in my opinion.

But, yeah, you're wrong about him being a Douche. Derrida was a pretty remarkable person.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    James wrote: »

so that the people who know about it would wear a badge if they had their ds on them

and someone else who recognizes the badge would know they could challenge them to a battle like randomly if they happened to meet somewhere

pokewalker.jpg

it's also a pedometer, so it levels up your mans as you walk!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    Leg Sex?

"Welcome to LegSex.com, home of hardcore slutty leg girls, foot fetish enthusiasts, hot foot jobs, and fem dom action."

Leg girls makes me think of a Silent Hill monster.

Winky on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    how is edward's relationship with bella abusive, as i understand it the relationship is more or less guided by her choices including the one to keep her child (i've never read the books, i've only read the wiki plot synopsis)

Lol TEAM JACOB

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Step one: Seek out an agent.
    Step two: Talk with an agent that thinks they can help you get published.
    Step three: Keep turning out books while the agent shops you around.
    Step four: If all goes well, collect your pay.

And I was wrong about Harlequin. They average a $4800 advance with 6% royalties now apparently.

Don't you have to pay agents?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't think Sarksus's opinions on feminism are extreme.

I just think he's been bringing it up a lot lately, I just assume it's been on his mind.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

There are plenty of books that are predominately bought by women that have pretty fucked up worldviews, so singling out Twilight seems a bit off to me.

Twilight is a symptom of a larger illness (should you choose to view it that way).

I single out Twilight because it's extremely popular and it's relevant as of right now. It's also what I have the most experience and knowledge with. It is natural for me to single it out. As I learn more my perspective will broaden.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

eco is a lot of fun IMO

but he mostly writes kind of fun fictions or kind of whimsical little essays, not Serious Treatises for Serious Academics

He likes to slip in sly little references to Semiotic theory, but he is in general also a fun read, yeah

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

eco is a lot of fun IMO

Which is probably why I liked him so much after having to slog through Derrida, et al.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    James wrote: »

pokewalker.jpg[img][/img]

but that doesn't work for people who don't own heartgold/soulsilver, and doesn't guarantee they will have their ds or be up for battling.

James on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Lol TEAM JACOB

Jacob kisses Bella against her will while she punches him so hard in an attempt to resist that she breaks her hand and then laughs and calls her cute.

Then he falls in love with a baby.

This discussion has been closed.