As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Aliens versus Predator 3 - Set 17 - Kill mans...no wait don't

• Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    maybe they ARE? :P
    i mean, i'm one of them as well, but i don't see me asking him for the next LP RIGHT AFTER HE STARTED ONE :P

valgomir on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well,but see Valgo, you are just gay for Hell and me. We talked about this extensively and that is the conclusion we came to.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey I wasn't asking for anything. I just imagine it would be funny to see. I don't really care what he plays as long as he's doing a commentary!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ...Tetris?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If he does doom3 he needs to make sure the damn sound is up cause that was part of what made it scary as fuck.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    Well,but see Valgo, you are just gay for Hell and me. We talked about this extensively and that is the conclusion we came to.

wait, i don't get how helloween counts as a man, with his long hair and all...
    no, actually i'm as gay for both of you as you are for... say, bruce-o-netta :P

edit:
    btw, i'm not sure how much of this is helloween's fault, but i really DO have an aversion against ladders now D: in real life, i mean. damn ladders...

valgomir on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys have no idea how much you sound like his youtube subscribers right now :D

Whoa hey whoa now let's not say things we can't take back.

Also: noticing a staggering lack of ladders so far, so he might just be safe until he gets to Bruce's campaign. For that, I may invite people over to watch.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stolls wrote: »
    You guys have no idea how much you sound like his youtube subscribers right now :D

Also: noticing a staggering lack of ladders so far, so he might just be safe until he gets to Bruce's campaign. For that, I may invite people over to watch.

I was hoping there wouldnt be any. Mass effrect showed us that in the future, we all use lifts.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What a thrill...:whistle:

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween wrote: »

I was hoping there wouldnt be any. Mass effrect showed us that in the future, we all use lifts.

Are you sure you want that?

Don't you remember what happened with the that one lift in AvP2?

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Garthor wrote: »

Oh right yeah...piss.

Ok, how about stairs? Stairs are good right?

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Garthor wrote: »

Oh right yeah...piss.

Ok, how about stairs? Stairs are good right?

You already explained how stairs are bad in this LP.

I'm thinking the ideal situation here would be a vast, featureless plain.

Garthor on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm torn about stairs. On the one hand, they invite random pusher and/or shover robots. On the other, they guard against zombies.

As we're dealing with aliens, we'll split the difference and say you've got a 50-50 shot with stairs when dealing with them. Obviously, the last set was not part of the favorable 50, as Garthor pointed out.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm torn about stairs. On the one hand, they invite random pusher and/or shover robots. On the other, they guard against zombies.

As we're dealing with aliens, we'll split the difference and say you've got a 50-50 shot with stairs when dealing with them. Obviously, the last set was not part of the favorable 50, as Garthor pointed out.

Lets hope that they learn from their mistakes.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just caught up with the two sets and the thread last night. Highly enjoyable as always. I gotta say, if nothing else, the game looks nice and the VAing isn't as bad as the last AvP. And we already have a Mr. Shotty!

Looking forward to see it play out, especially the Alien and Predator campaigns.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Wait until you have to deal with the marines.

"Don't let your guard down"

"Don't let your guard down!"

"I've got movement!"

"Don't let your guard down"

"I've got movement!"

"I've got movement"

This is a rough approximation of what playing both the Alien and Predator campaigns can be like.
    But do they HOLD THE LINE?

Don't relax just yet, marines.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great LP.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Hey Helloween, when's the next set going up?

There, the illusion is complete.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    i finally got around to catching up with the LP so far and i must say, game-wise, AVP was in fact a lot better. still, the commentary is excellent (the style has changed though. in this LP you comment a LOT more on what the npcs say to you than before).

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    valgomir wrote: »
    i finally got around to catching up with the LP so far and i must say, game-wise, AVP was in fact a lot better. still, the commentary is excellent (the style has changed though. in this LP you comment a LOT more on what the npcs say to you than before).

Well in 2010 they should fucking know better :P

New set uploading atm.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Hey Helloween, when's the next set going up?

There, the illusion is complete.

Garthor on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    valgomir wrote: »

Well in 2010 they should fucking know better :P

New set uploading atm.

Set's up, watched, and it's getting good.
    "Colonel, there's all these Aliens here charging at me and having seizures on the walls!"
    "Where are you Snake?"
    "I'm not sure, but there seems to be a Latino woman bitching at me over the radio to do all sorts of running around for her."
    "Oh ya, that's Tequila, she's our new transfer from Accounting. She's replacing Bob who's on extended holiday."
    "Colonel, does my radio have a mute button?"
    "Sorry Snake, we've had some tech cutbacks ever since Tequila ran Accounting into the ground when her constant bitching caused all our bookkeepers to kill themselves."
    "Oh god, Space Peni-."
    "Snake?"
    *Preston in distance* "Muhahahahaha!"

This may be a stupid game, but Helloween's wit and intelligent commentary still shine through. I kept thinking throughout this set how other LPs Helloween has done have influenced his jokes, he has like a cast of characters now to use to comment on the situation, like Bob the Russian and Bruce the Alien. And it works.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween gets better the more elaborate his LP commentary gets. Although it's too bad that people who haven't seen his previous LPs might not get all the jokes, but they have no excuse. :P

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, used to own this game. I quickly traded it in when i realized that:
    the alien campaign was shit.
    The sad thing being that even the store I traded it in to realized what it was and gave me $5 on what I bought for $60. I did it gladly.

In regards to the Marine set, does anyone else think the hack tool looks like a speak and spell?

I'm also getting flashbacks to a review here:
    audio.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and melee is broken as crap for the marine. If you've got the timing down you can juggle Aliens left and right.

...and a shame Helloween doesn't like Tequila seeing as she's
    the love interest and all.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, the audio logs are obtrusive and shitty because they're all rehashes.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween's Rookie-voice cracks me up for some reason.
    Fuckin' Bitch!

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I raged at her. She earned it.

Set 3 - Fly me to the moon
    edit: you guys totally watched it anyway :( ahahaha

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nonchalant shotgun is the funniest shotgun

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween, that screen that comes up after you clear a level allows you to switch campaigns, not just to say "good job" Apparently all the campaigns are supposed to happen around the same time

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Even so, I assume the proper course of action is doing one campaign all the way through first.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love the unrelenting criticism of everything throughout this set. Other soldiers, aliens, Tequila, equipment, scenery. It amuses me to think of a lone marine in a desperate and terrifying situation just moaning and pointing out the flaws in everything.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    smof wrote: »
    I love the unrelenting criticism of everything throughout this set. Other soldiers, aliens, Tequila, equipment, scenery. It amuses me to think of a lone marine in a desperate and terrifying situation just moaning and pointing out the flaws in everything.

Rookie understands my pain

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man after watching the videos, the game really seems awful. Once you have seen the first alien, it's pretty much like Doom3, except the game doesn't even try, it just puts some xenos in front of you to shoot and thats it. At least Doom was a decent shooter.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    At least Doom was a decent shooter.

D:

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think this set shows that even though the aliens aren't really scary in any way, you still have to pay a little attention to them if you don't want to die.

I also thought it was amusing to see you run past the switch you needed to hit like 5 times before you noticed the huge glowing objective marker right on top of it. Although given the fact that the game seems to alternate between objective markers meaning "somewhere on this continent" and "this exact specific pixel," I suppose it is forgiving that you'd ignore it.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »

D:

Hey at least Doom spawned enemies behind you, not in front of you. They tried to surprise you. It also had a few scares where nothing really happened. Seeing AvP, it seems as though it can't decide between being a straight shooter or a horror game. I mean Halloween is tearing through those Xenomorph assholes like it's nothing, even teasing them as they helplessly glitch across the walls. No suspense there. (In the game, not the LP)

The few times he died were either because he got a little too cocky or because there was an unexpected amount of enemies.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The aliens seem to be too stupid, and too durable for the game to have any kind of challenge/scares. If they were a little faster and smarter, they could actually scare someone, and put up a good fight. On the area we're about to see, I've heard that it's the point where all the horror goes away, and it's all shooting xenos/preds from here out.

I really hope that the other Aliens game turns out better than this one.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think that's the precise problem. The game went from "Alien-esque" AVP to "Aliens-esque" AVP. AVP 1 and 2 had aliens that were vicious and FAST and insta-death facehuggers. So far the aliens in AVP 3 seem slow, and the non-insta-death facehuggers are a letdown. Even in Aliens it took half a marine detachment to tear the facehugger off Ripley's face, and Rookie is doing it with one hand o_O

Oh well, it's a Helloween LP, everything is forgiven when we see him dying in hilarious ways :lol:

Akilae on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »

D:

Hey at least Doom spawned enemies behind you, not in front of you. They tried to surprise you. It also had a few scares where nothing really happened. Seeing AvP, it seems as though it can't decide between being a straight shooter or a horror game. I mean Halloween is tearing through those Xenomorph assholes like it's nothing, even teasing them as they helplessly glitch across the walls. No suspense there. (In the game, not the LP)

The few times he died were either because he got a little too cocky or because there was an unexpected amount of enemies.

I'm just surprised at the words really. I've never really thought of Doom III as a 'good shooter.' Mostly the fact that it pissed me off rather than scared me or offered challenge in the shooting department.

Paints this game in an even worse light really.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The ending of Part 2 is just one of the best video endings.

I can get behind the complaints that it's not scary, but it certainly makes for excellent commentary. Helloween mowing down a roomful of aliens sounding almost bored is just hilarious. And
    BigDes wrote:
    Nonchalant shotgun is the funniest shotgun

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!