As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Now for Mac - Launch with 63 Games

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've said this before, but I am pretty sure I read that it is technically against EU law too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    I've said this before, but I am pretty sure I read that it is technically against EU law too.
    I suppose if you really wanted those extra copies, you could start another Steam account and buy them with that. Hardly ideal, but the possibility is there.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    God, fuck you, Rockstar. I just bought the GTA IV episodes last week :|

I'm going to be soooo pissed if it goes on sale at some horrible time while I'm at work or sleeping or some shit and I can't buy it. I just got a quad core and can finally run GTA IV smoothly at a good res with all the bells and whistles.

Drool on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, decided to grab COD4 in the weekend deal. Installed and updated Punkbuster for multiplayer.

Now I'm constantly getting booted with the following PB error: "Disallowed Program Driver 125120." Did some quick research but wasn't able to find a resolution to this problem. Anyone know how to resolve this issue?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So, decided to grab COD4 in the weekend deal. Installed and updated Punkbuster for multiplayer.

Now I'm constantly getting booted with the following PB error: "Disallowed Program Driver 125120." Did some quick research but wasn't able to find a resolution to this problem. Anyone know how to resolve this issue?
    Try turning off the Steam in-game overlay, I think that's the issue. There should be a "Launch Options" command for that somewhere, google that and see if it helps.

Darlan on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thankfully I have a buddy who can watch Steam for me and jab me awake if what I'd want happens to go on sale. Useful since to be honest the only things I'm interested in are GTA IV and the DLC pack.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I bought the Rockstar complete pack when it came out at 60% off, and I've gotta say: It is one of the biggest traps that exists on Steam. Being confronted with the option of playing all of the GTAs (alongside the Max Paynes, too), it became incredibly hard to actually dive in and actually beat any of them. A year and a half later or so, I've got GTA: Vice City (which I had owned and beaten prior to buying the pack) and Max Payne 1 beaten. Most of the rest of it I've not made significant progress in. Also beaten GTA4, but I bought that separately from the pack.

It's the same deal with the Id Superpack.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of the mac steam client, is it just the client or are any games available through it yet?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Everything's under NDA right now (so anyone in it can't say), but leaked screens have shown that Valve's properties at least are represented. All beta participants have access to Portal granted to them to test with.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aww I missed Vice City? Oh well!
    Lance Vance this is your last Dance!

Alegis on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of the mac steam client, is it just the client or are any games available through it yet?

There is no client. Shush.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Actually, didn't they have a big weekend sale on most of the stuff that went on sale throughout the week the last time they did a week long feature of one dev like this? I seem to remember that happening but I could be wrong.

Drool on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, has the Mac Steam beta started?

If so, sadface for not being a part of it.

Senshi on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looking at the top sellers, I'm not surprise that Vice City by itself is on there.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Looking at the top sellers, I'm not surprise that Vice City by itself is on there.
    It was on a two hour sale for just 2.50 earlier today, like Manhunt is now.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Al Baron wrote: »
    It was on a two hour sale for just 2.50 earlier today, like Manhunt is now.
    Oh...

Guess that's what I get for sleeping in. Not that I don't already own it for the PS2.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Winterbottom is great, but man can it be frustrating if you just can't figure a level out. I'm somewhere in the fifth world and needed to take a break because no matter what I tried just wouldn't work. My fiancee was playing an earlier level and at one point she slammed her fist on the desk, which is something I've never seen her do.

I feel her pain. I love the style and design of Winterbottom, but the puzzles makes me want to claw my eyes out. I'm not going to shame myself by saying where I'm stuck, but it's very early on, and I have no fucking clue what to do. I guess my brain just isn't wired for this sort of thing.

Fuck you, Winterbottom, and your cursed pies!

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    altid wrote: »
    The first thing I thought about the new UI was "this looks an awful lot like the zune software". Surely I'm not alone here?

That was my impression during the beta, too. It's just missing the 3D acceleration, but that isn't necessary for this :P

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So how to I shrink it back to thin mode after I've opened it up?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arikado wrote: »

View menu --> Small mode

SteevL on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

View menu --> Small mode
    I'm mildly annoyed that we don't have an expand/collapse button anymore. Also mildly annoyed that there are options in the view menu to go to everywhere except the store, which is the only thing I use large mode for.

Monger on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah that's not an improvement. Oh well, I hope they add those arrows back. Everything else looks really nice.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No one mentioning the manhunt 2 hour sale, even 3/4 of the way into it?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Last page.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I couldn't place my finger on why I didn't like Beat Hazard much, aside from its rather shallow gameplay and shoddy game design.

I watch part of Empire Strikes Back, and think that The Asteroid Field would make a kickass and fitting song to play. I load it up, and proceed to have no shot power at all. I mean, that song is pretty damn intense. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I couldn't place my finger on why I didn't like Beat Hazard much, aside from its rather shallow gameplay and shoddy game design.

I watch part of Empire Strikes Back, and think that The Asteroid Field would make a kickass and fitting song to play. I load it up, and proceed to have no shot power at all. I mean, that song is pretty damn intense. Doesn't make much sense to me.
    Don't think about it much. Boot up Audiosurf and don't think about it.

Monger on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Last page.

Oh, right. I only read the first part of the sentence, where they were saying that the VC sale was this morning for $2.50.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Roshin wrote: »
    Winterbottom is great, but man can it be frustrating if you just can't figure a level out. I'm somewhere in the fifth world and needed to take a break because no matter what I tried just wouldn't work. My fiancee was playing an earlier level and at one point she slammed her fist on the desk, which is something I've never seen her do.

I feel her pain. I love the style and design of Winterbottom, but the puzzles makes me want to claw my eyes out. I'm not going to shame myself by saying where I'm stuck, but it's very early on, and I have no fucking clue what to do. I guess my brain just isn't wired for this sort of thing.

Fuck you, Winterbottom, and your cursed pies!

Gonna take a wild guess on where you may be stuck, because it was an "aha!" moment for me. It's an observation about the mechanics, not a puzzle solution, but making this realization was pretty much the key to one of the early puzzles.

Don't read if you're afraid it'll ruin things for you, though.
    Notice that even if you have a limit of 1 clone, the old one doesn't disappear until you finish recording, which means that you can make a new clone that is influenced by the old one. For instance:

Step 1. Create Clone A to do one thing, and one thing only: stand in place, whacking the air with his umbrella.
    Step 2. Stand behind Clone A, and start recording.
    Step 3. Step in front of Clone A, allowing yourself to be hit. Land wherever you land.
    Step 4. Stop recording.

Now, observe: Clone A will disappear, but Clone B will still step forward and then be launched into the air, as though Clone A were still present, slapping him. Curious, isn't it? :P

Of course, that may not be where you're stuck. If so, disregard. ;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

From what people were saying earlier, the calmer the music the harder the game gets.

Its the most ass-backwards way to design a music game.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monger wrote: »

View menu --> Small mode
    I'm mildly annoyed that we don't have an expand/collapse button anymore. Also mildly annoyed that there are options in the view menu to go to everywhere except the store, which is the only thing I use large mode for.
    Just click the icon in the system tray and then click store. Quick and easy.

Also, that icon gives you access to just about everything you need to get to in a couple clicks. Store, games list, settings, friends list. And it keeps (I think) your last 5 games there so you can launch without even needing small mode or anything else.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just played through the duration of the Beat Hazard demo and made the purchase. Mrmmm so goood.

Though the little updates you get at the bottom of the Screen ("Foolish Chaos crashed and burned on that one song!" "Foolish Chaos is starting up that other song!") is more than a little annoying. Anyone know how to turn that off?

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just know when Bully, the one rockstar game I haven't played and am interested in, goes on sale, I'll miss it.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whoever mentioned that The Witcher is now 20 bucks, there's a special place in hell for you.

I can't afford it until next week! :cry:

Kami on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    No one mentioning the manhunt 2 hour sale, even 3/4 of the way into it?

Extraordinary game. One of the best examples of modern survival horror there is. It's in dire need of a visual upgrade, which probably will never happen. It's a shame that Rockstar fucked up in such epic fashion with the sequel and ran the franchise face first into the ground.

"Yeah, Manhunt 2, bitches! Obscenely violent and controversial sequel to the original Manhunt, which itself was very controversial to begin with. We'll release it exclusively on the Wii! I mean, how can that possibly fail? Sure, our customers are mostly on the PC, 360, and PS3 and we'll attract a ton of negative attention by doing this, but what the fuck, we're crazy like that!"

The people who greenlighted that move should be fired, dragged out on the street, and kneecapped.
    Of course, that may not be where you're stuck. If so, disregard. ;-)

It's not, but thanks anyway. I'm sure Winterbottom is a game I'll never finish and probably play very little.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kami wrote: »
    Whoever mentioned that The Witcher is now 20 bucks, there's a special place in hell for you.

Woopsy!

Alegis on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »

Woopsy!

The hate is palpable!
    <3

Kami on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Finally finding some free time to get through the games that have been languishing in my Steam Games folder forever. On 18/19 in Portal. This game is even more fun than I remember!

Mugsley on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah that's not an improvement. Oh well, I hope they add those arrows back. Everything else looks really nice.

Maybe I'll make a skin that does that.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hate the new UI.
    I like the old UI so much better.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The new UI has bitchin' Windows 7 jumplist support, which makes it 527 times better. Pin that sucka onto the taskbar and go to down with that bitch.

Zxerol on