Options

The NEW Cell Phone Thread

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok so when my G1 gets here and I set up an account with T-Mobile, what would the best way to deal with long distance be? With Verizon I just paid 5 dollars a month for 5c a minute international calls, Does T-Mobile have a deal like that, or can I just get Skype on my G1? Some people have been mentioning Google voice, but I haven't been following it.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Google Voice's rates from USA -> Spain is $0.02/minute, or $0.19/minute if calling to a cellular phone. The way they connect you, it only counts against your local phone rates with your carrier (and you could take the call from a landline or a cell phone, basically however you want), and you pay the additional international fee to Google. Keep that in mind as a very low-cost option for your needs there.

Read this about Google Voice.

Can also watch these informative videos:
    http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html#

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Google Voice's rates from USA -> Spain is $0.02/minute, or $0.19/minute if calling to a cellular phone. The way they connect you, it only counts against your local phone rates with your carrier (and you could take the call from a landline or a cell phone, basically however you want), and you pay the additional international fee to Google. Keep that in mind as a very low-cost option for your needs there.

Read this about Google Voice.

Can also watch these informative videos:
    http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html#
    Alright. So I heard that pretty soon you'll be able to tie your regular cell number to your Google voice number. So when that happens a cell/landline calling your phone number gets your phone regularly, but if somebody uses GV to call you it calls your cell the same way but via the app?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It already does that.

Your google voice number can be set to automatically redirect calls to any (or all) phones attached to it. You can also set schedules which google voice then uses to determine how to handle calls.

For example, I can tell GV to send all calls to my cell phone during 8-5, because I'll be at work. Then, from 5-9 I can tell it to ring both my home and cell phones. Then, after 9pm, I can tell GV to automatically send anything straight to voice mail, unless it's a call from my immediate family (because I don't want to be bothered unless it's a family emergency). It's a powerful tool.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It already does that.

Your google voice number can be set to automatically redirect calls to any (or all) phones attached to it. You can also set schedules which google voice then uses to determine how to handle calls.

For example, I can tell GV to send all calls to my cell phone during 8-5, because I'll be at work. Then, from 5-9 I can tell it to ring both my home and cell phones. Then, after 9pm, I can tell GV to automatically send anything straight to voice mail, unless it's a call from my immediate family (because I don't want to be bothered unless it's a family emergency). It's a powerful tool.

So when will I be able to make both numbers the same number? Also is the only difference between getting a GV or a regular call just the method used to call? Can you GV to GV international free? If not why not just use a mobile skype client in that case?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You can utilize most of google voice's features without acquiring and using a google voice number, but not everything.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been covered - where's a good place for entirely free high quality ringtones - clips of songs or video game sounds and music?

I think I'm aiming for FFVIII fanfare for main ringtone and best sounding MGS codec for text messages

I usually just find the audio clip I want from wherever has the wav or mp3, then use Bitpim to import it onto my phone. If you're lucky and have a nicer phone that allows you to just drag and drop into your ringtone folder, you're even better off.

I've never trusted those "Free ringtone!" sites.

Several of you guys said how to get it on my phone, and that's not an issue. I AM just looking for the .wav or .mp3. Using an Android 2.1 phone.

But I have no idea where to find just short sound clips on the internet, especially of something specific like game sounds.

edit: cellse is looking promising.

there's just so many fucking shit websites out there, it's hard to find THE ONE that has high quality good and proper downloads of this sound bytes

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're looking for very specific sound files I'd recommend googling appropriately. If you're looking for larger repositories you can try:

http://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks
    Video game music, full length. Recommend cutting to size if you're going to use as a ringtone.

http://www.audiomicro.com/free-video-games-sound-clips/page-1/sort:LandingPage.short_name/direction:asc
    Short video game audio clips. Not a really large database, doesn't have a lot of things like the MGS codec sound, but interesting to look through. Username/password: bugmenot/bugmenot

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    cool thanks. I think have what I'm looking for now.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »

Is it any different from anything that they are doing with any of the other Galaxy S line phones?

I mean, this is Samsung. Are you AT ALL shocked that they are doing this? Even if they left it vanilla, there'd be no guarantee of updates (I'm certain Sprint forced their hand on the Moment.

The Behold II JUST got 1.6. Basically, Samsung makes lovely hardware, but they don't support their phones at all. Buy accordingly.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If it was on 2.2 to start it would've been on my "heavy consider" list for October. Now I just have to hope something else comes up. Hopefully not 4G because I don't even live in a 4G area, and fuck the $10 tax.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I wouldn't buy a Galaxy S until either a) samsung patches one or b) the homebrew community comes through in a big way. The wonderful hardware is just not worth the prospect of getting dicked over on the software side.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    For October?

You realize that Gingerbread will be right around the corner at that point, no?

Evander on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm sure this has been covered - where's a good place for entirely free high quality ringtones - clips of songs or video game sounds and music?

I think I'm aiming for FFVIII fanfare for main ringtone and best sounding MGS codec for text messages

I usually just find the audio clip I want from wherever has the wav or mp3, then use Bitpim to import it onto my phone. If you're lucky and have a nicer phone that allows you to just drag and drop into your ringtone folder, you're even better off.

Several of you guys said how to get it on my phone, and that's not an issue. I AM just looking for the .wav or .mp3. Using an Android 2.1 phone.

But I have no idea where to find just short sound clips on the internet, especially of something specific like game sounds.

there's just so many fucking shit websites out there, it's hard to find THE ONE that has high quality good and proper downloads of this sound bytes

But ... but ... I did tell you where ... why bother with an internet site when you can get mabilo ringtones from the Android market and it has both the tones you want. And it is free and highly rated.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    For October?

Pfeh, we'll see how that actually pans out. It's due in "Q4" and devices usually lag behind since they're in production with the previous version so I wouldn't expect an actual 3.0 device until late December or early 2011.

We'll see what rolls around. Crossing my fingers for a nice 4+ inch display, physical menu/search/back/home buttons, optical trackpad and maybe a front facing camera on 2.2+. Hopefully without 4G, however unlikely. Fucking $10 garbage.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Elin wrote: »

But ... but ... I did tell you where ... why bother with an internet site when you can get mabilo ringtones from the Android market and it has both the tones you want. And it is free and highly rated.

I don't really like that site. The Metal Gear search results in a mess with multiple copies of the same thing with different names, and no sign of FFVIII fanfare. the other 2 suggestions seem to be better...

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I kinda hope there's a Nexus Two or equivalent by the end of the year, so I have the option of trading up to a phone with cutting edge hardware (the N1 will probably look a bit dated by then) and no bullshit between my phone and the newest hotness of the operating system. Some of the manufacturer modifications are pretty good, but none of them are really quite as good as knowing that your phone will get a delicious new treat ASAP, for sure.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any word of something new and Android-y coming to Sprint, that's: Not as big as the EVO, nor as expensive, and doesn't have a keyboard? We'll be switching to Sprint from Vrz (cause I'm not paying an extra $50 a month just for data, and that's WITH a discount) at the end of July... Might just get Hero's, if there's nothing new coming out...

Dedian on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elin wrote: »

I don't really like that site. The Metal Gear search results in a mess with multiple copies of the same thing with different names, and no sign of FFVIII fanfare. the other 2 suggestions seem to be better...

Um, Cellsea was ridiculously easy to use for finding videogame ringtones. My only problem was finding a good radiohead version of "Just". I had to create my own (which I really didn't mind). I now have this -
    RIng - Radiohead
    Text - Codec
    Email - FF Victory Fanfare
    Voicemail - Navi - Hey Listen (I get a LOT of looks for that one)

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    For October?

Pfeh, we'll see how that actually pans out. It's due in "Q4" and devices usually lag behind since they're in production with the previous version so I wouldn't expect an actual 3.0 device until late December or early 2011.

We'll see what rolls around. Crossing my fingers for a nice 4+ inch display, physical menu/search/back/home buttons, optical trackpad and maybe a front facing camera on 2.2+. Hopefully without 4G, however unlikely. Fucking $10 garbage.

I imagine Google has some hard plans here (like a launch device)

Having an OS called "Gingerbread" not drop until January would make them a PR launghingstock.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe the T-Mobile HTC Vision rumors. November would also put everything on pace for 3.0 coming out one year after 2.0

Edit: As for "4G", all I can say is HSDPA+...

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dedian wrote: »
    Any word of something new and Android-y coming to Sprint, that's: Not as big as the EVO, nor as expensive, and doesn't have a keyboard? We'll be switching to Sprint from Vrz (cause I'm not paying an extra $50 a month just for data, and that's WITH a discount) at the end of July... Might just get Hero's, if there's nothing new coming out...

Samsung Epic 4G is the next Android phone they're dropping. That's a 4 inch screen, slide out QWERTY, and yes, 4G service.

So, one out of three.

Evander on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

The only thing they have that fits that description is the Hero. Sprint hasn't announced any plan to get a CDMA version of the HTC Legend which is pretty much the Hero 2.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I just noticed a dead pixel on my Evo. I debated letting it go, but its smack in the middle of the screen, and I started thinking for the price I paid I dont want to be this bummed - no matter how stupid it is to be bummed over the tiniest black dot ever.

So I called Sprint and got the nicest, most helpful Indian man ever. Seriously, it was one of those moments where I just felt AWFUL because he was super nice, it was just so hard to understand. If anyone has dealt with Sprint before I would really appreciate some clarification, because I said a bunch of times "Let me make sure Ive got this right" and he kept saying I did, but adding a lot of stuff that was hard to understand.

So what I just did was order a "return kit". This bought me 35 more days, from tomorrow, to return my current Evo. Since they don't have any Evo's in stock at the moment, what he said I need to do is check online, and when I see they are back in stock (he was saying most likely some time next week), call them, and they will send me one immediately. He said that once they get them in stock, when I call, I would be a top priority and they would overnight it, most likely.

So since I get to keep my phone in the meantime, I decided to go with this method, over just exchanging it at a store, because I can sit there and swap the SD cards, or at very least just make sure everything moves over from one phone to the other in the comfort of my own home, and just make sure everything is good. I'm not too happy about the burden being on ME to check and see when the Evo comes back in stock - but whatever I guess.

Has anyone done anything like this with Sprint before? I can't imagine they'd charge me or anything for any part of this process - and he said they wouldn't. I think.

Seriously, the guy could NOT have been a nicer, more helpful person, it was just hard understanding the accent. He seemed genuinely excited and enthused to help me get a new phone, and was talking about how Im 5 days away from the warranty ending, so this buys me an extra 35 days to keep the original, and since I called before the deadline I get a new Evo no matter if it comes in stock in the next 5 days or not. Sprint is earning major customer service points from me...

EDIT: I do remember now, his reasoning for me having to call about the Evo was that they need my authorization to send it. They need me to call so they can specifically get the correct address and all that. Seems a little excessive, but at least sort of makes sense.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Sprint is earning major customer service points from me...

Don't worry, they'll spend those points soon enough, and then some...

Evander on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh hey dudes. You might have heard something about early upgrades for Droid X's. I would like to mention to you fine gentlepeople that if your upgrade becomes available (your upgrade, not your contract expiration) at any time in 2010 you can upgrade right now all the way up until the end of August to any smartphone at the two year price on Verizon. Just so you know.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Not as quickly as Verizon burned every bridge in bridge town with me.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been looking to get a smart phone with AT&T or Verizon for a while now but I keep skipping out on buying them when they come out. Is Droid Incredible still any good or is there some other phone coming out this year I should wait for? I would've went for the iphone but the new data limits turned me away.

nerve on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nerve wrote: »
    I've been looking to get a smart phone with AT&T or Verizon for a while now but I keep skipping out on buying them when they come out. Is Droid Incredible still any good or is there some other phone coming out this year I should wait for? I would've went for the iphone but the new data limits turned me away.

Droid Incredible is still Incredible. :P But the Droid X and Droid 2 are coming out soon. So if you want the incredible with a few more tech options and a bit faster and a huge (4.3") screen, then the Droid X is due out in a week or two. The Droid 2 is basically the Droid with a different style keyboard and Droid X internals.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2010

there's the HTC Epic, which has a marginally smaller footprint but a sliding keyboard, so it's probably chunkier.

the closest that android is going to get to the iphone form factor that i know of is probably the htc incredible which is, afaik, a verizon exclusive.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Epic is a Samsung Galaxy S phone, not an HTC.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2010
    oops

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nerve wrote: »

Droid Incredible is still Incredible. :P But the Droid X and Droid 2 are coming out soon. So if you want the incredible with a few more tech options and a bit faster and a huge (4.3") screen, then the Droid X is due out in a week or two. The Droid 2 is basically the Droid with a different style keyboard and Droid X internals.

I would give up on the Incredible since they have such huge supply issue with screens. By the time they become easy to get you'll already have better options that are widely used.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    HTC is reportedly going to start making Incredibles (as well as Desires and Nexus Ones) that use LCD screens instead of AMOLED screens to try to catch supply up to demand. No idea whether that'll involve a drop in quality of display or battery life.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HTC is reportedly going to start making Incredibles (as well as Desires and Nexus Ones) that use LCD screens instead of AMOLED screens to try to catch supply up to demand. No idea whether that'll involve a drop in quality of display or battery life.

or drop in price?

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    doubtful

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My upgrade is due in two weeks.

I am pretty set on the HTC desire, but I'd like a hardware qwerty keyboard. Anyone got any recommendations for android phones with a qwerty that are available in the UK (I am on O2, but I guess I would be happy to switch to a different network)

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'd say your best bet is to wait on the Motorola Milestone 2. Assuming it hits the UK at roughly the same time as it will drop in America, you should see it in the next two months.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Engadget talked about this for a little bit, and supposedly the quality of the LCD screens are extremely similar to the AMOLED as is the battery usage, so there should be a minimal difference between the two. Though they said once they can get their hands on both they would compare.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010

Not as quickly as Verizon burned every bridge in bridge town with me.

Verizon are jackasses

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg