As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Have you been posting? I'm sorry but I'll have to see some [RealID]!

• Options
    BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kotick is the new John Smedley.

"You don't wanna log in at 3am to kill a raid boss because that's when it spawned? Get fucked, noob."

The essence of EQ1.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Every account with every company has account security issues. I don't know if you noticed, but digital security is an arms race.

WoW just happens to be a popular target.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    And people submitting their detailed info is their own fault.

Henroid on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    Blizzard: RealID is just for friends and family. It's entirely optional.
    Blizzard: RealID is required to post on the forums(making it slightly less optional and not just for family and friends).

So what's next......

Well they've got this nifty Facebook integration thingy coming(which is entirely optional...for now) but the code for it doesn't appear to be securely locked down(see: rumors of scripts being able to datamine info in-game currently). It sounds like they're setting this up so they can datamine a lot of useful info(for what exactly remains to be seen) but this isn't something I want 3rd parties having access to. It's bad enough Blizzard(and by extension Kotick) are going to be making use of this info.

Blizzard concerning privacy:
    Should I be concerned about the privacy settings on my Facebook account?
    Both Blizzard Entertainment and Facebook take the security of personal information very seriously.

Except....they don't. See Blizzard's problems with account security and the fact they even considered the idea of using real names to post on the forums in the first place. If they were as serious about privacy as they claim that idea never would have made it past the suggestion box.
    FaceBook CEO concerning privacy: http://www.businessinsider.com/well-these-new-zuckerberg-ims-wont-help-facebooks-privacy-problems-2010-5
    Zuckerberg: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
    Zuckerberg: Just ask.
    Zuckerberg: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
    [Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
    Zuckerberg: People just submitted it.
    Zuckerberg: I don't know why.
    Zuckerberg: They "trust me"
    Zuckerberg: Dumb f*cks.

So yea, I'd be concerned about privacy.

This is just the beginning though.
    "There is no better opportunity to launch this strategic initiative than through the launch of StarCraft II," said Kotick on the call. "The Battle.net platform is an investment in the future of gaming, and an opportunity that we are uniquely positioned to capitalize on."

"On the Blizzard side, [we need to] really be figuring out things like the StarCraft business model for the future, with in-game advertising and sponsorship, [which have] really not been something that has moved the dial for anybody in the videogame industry, but that we think presents tremendous opportunity for the future," said Kotick, according to Next-Gen.

"[Blizzard] has been thinking about how StarCraft, because it is a short-session experience, can actually be the model for in-game advertising and sponsorship and tournament play and ladder play for the future."
    "Mr. Kotick: I think our audiences are clamoring for it. If you look at what they're playing on Xbox Live today, we've had 1.7 billion hours of multiplayer play on Live. I think we could do a lot more"

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that.”

You can see right here he's thinking about how he can reinvent the wheel and sink his greedy fingers into a piece of the social networking and advertising pies(among other things). This isn't about what gamers want or what's good for the industry. This is about what he wants. He wants his own Xbox Live/Steam type of service. He wants micro-transactions and premium downloadable content that customers are forced to pay for. He wants a piece of the Facebook pie. He wants royalties and kickbacks and to be integrated into everything like some parasite.

He wants everyone to rely on his service and he wants a quarter every time someone uses it.

It's not enough to be a successful video game publisher producing blockbuster games and making tons of money. He's decided he wants to be King of the Hill.

I think he fancies himself the Bill Gates of the gaming industry. He's ruthless enough....but he's not nearly as innovative or brilliant.

"We've had the same office since forever, and we just replaced the duct tape on the carpet because it became a trip hazard down the stairs. And that took five years to get done. So we are thrifty in the areas where frankly, the consumer* doesn't see value. There are many areas where we are making massive investments to improve the gamer experience, and then there are areas where we think it's not worth it. So we don't have a company gym, cafeteria, and valet parking."

*His bit about the customers not seeing the value is PR schtick. Actually he's the one who doesn't see the value in taking care of his employees. I bet he has the same attitude towards his customers....he doesn't care. All he sees are dollar signs. I've seen this same callous attitude towards employees in a variety of jobs. If you want to get the most out of employees it's a good idea to treat them well. Happy employees are far more productive and loyal.

"Tippl also said that he wasn’t concerned about how gamers would react to having to pay for additional features."

Time and again Kotick and Tippl have displayed an arrogant and condescending attitude towards their customer base.

Mr Kotick thinks he can do no wrong. He has a Vision™ and he's proven he'll do just about anything to make it happen.....including treating employees like slave labor and strip mining companies and grinding them into the dust. His ethics and morals...well, he doesn't have any. He's a deplorable man.

I'd be extremely wary of anything concerning RealId or this proposed Facebook integration at this point. This is far from over.

Excellent post. It baffles me there are still people here that don't see the forest for the trees when it comes to this angle.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    martinimartini Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I'm glad that the forum thing is fixed. But now, honestly I think I'm more irritated by RealID requiring real names, and not being able to change that information to an alias if you want, than I originally was. Blizzard has lost a lot of customer goodwill this week.

martini on
    I raised the wall. And I will be the one to knock it down.
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bikkstah wrote: »

"You don't wanna log in at 3am to kill a raid boss because that's when it spawned? Get fucked, noob."

The essence of EQ1.

Your going to LOVE the new WoW combat sytem, we'll call it the New Game Experience..

Fuck Smedly.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The argument about scripts being able to datamine shit and thus the Facebook integration is bad is silly - this is why that feature is still in development and not launched now.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One can only hope they don't screw it up and put any code in prematurely. That never happens. One could also hope they don't compromise people's personal data but they don't seem overly concerned with that.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    One could also hope other people don't overreact and the situation isn't as threatening as they want to think.

And now to work.

Edit - And for the record, it's a bad thing, but not as totally fucking whacko as some people are painting it to be.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Gnutson wrote: »

The essence of EQ1.

Your going to LOVE the new WoW combat sytem, we'll call it the New Game Experience..

Fuck Smedly.

I recalled just now, thinking of EQ1, that I had a guy threaten time and time again to find me IRL and kill me because on a raid, I won a Mistwalker over him. I was 13 years old, I think.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    The argument about scripts being able to datamine shit and thus the Facebook integration is bad is silly - this is why that feature is still in development and not launched now.

*ignores the rest of the page long post*
    One could also hope other people don't overreact and the situation isn't as threatening as they want to think.

And now to work.

Edit - And for the record, it's a bad thing, but not as totally fucking whacko as some people are painting it to be

*casually dismisses everything post said*

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The essence of EQ1.

Fuck Smedly.

I recalled just now, thinking of EQ1, that I had a guy threaten time and time again to find me IRL and kill me because on a raid, I won a Mistwalker over him. I was 13 years old, I think.

On our server one of the 'server superstars' was perma banned on an account for getting pissed off over pvp and logging into Coronet and yelling out the guys social security number.. which he got from his login info from a guild website.

There was so many IRL threats back then, and remains one of teh reasons I don't bother with game forums anymore.

Geese will be geese no matter how hard they have to dig for the info.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stop spreading FUD around about a magical script that can get at all your info including info the client doesn't even know. There is no such script, addons can only see your own RealID and no one else's.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

*ignores the rest of the page long post*

And now to work.

Edit - And for the record, it's a bad thing, but not as totally fucking whacko as some people are painting it to be

*casually dismisses everything post said*

*doesn't afraid of anything*

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

And now to work.

Edit - And for the record, it's a bad thing, but not as totally fucking whacko as some people are painting it to be.

Maybe you missed 60 minutes but it seems logical that Kotick something much larger planned than what's been unveiled thus far. This is merely the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So you're enraged about something that hasn't happened yet.

And for those of you all "abloo bloo add-ons will be able to hack my social security and rename my first born..."

...have you considered, you know, not downloading add-ons?

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The essence of EQ1.

Fuck Smedly.

On our server one of the 'server superstars' was perma banned on an account for getting pissed off over pvp and logging into Coronet and yelling out the guys social security number.. which he got from his login info from a guild website.

There was so many IRL threats back then, and remains one of teh reasons I don't bother with game forums anymore.

Word up.

Bikkstah on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

And for those of you all "abloo bloo add-ons will be able to hack my social security and rename my first born..."

Yes, we are. You know why? Because absolutely no one, not one single person saw the forum thing coming. Imagine what that says about what could be in the works.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    bowen wrote: »

Yes, we are. You know why? Because absolutely no one, not one single person saw the forum thing coming. Imagine what that says about what could be in the works.

Exactly.

Kotick is extremely ambitious not to mention a complete and utter douchebag. He's not adding cross server chat because he's a nice guy and he thought we might like it. He's doing this because he stands to profit from it somehow.

Cross server chat alone is not going to net him that profit. Forum ID changes won't either. He's got more up his sleeve and given his callous attitude it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

To me it looks like they were or are planning to move to some kind of facebook'esque amalgam/hybrid/monster.

Seriously, if you're Kotick or some other business money guy and you look at facebook raking in the money from advertising and selling peoples info then the logical conclusion is "lets make it like facebook" never underestimate the greed and stupidity of businesses. They will expand in however many ways they can to get every little drop of money.

My guess is they are or are planning to introduce it in gradual phases, building something akin to facebook takes time. Look at how long diaspora is taking to get created. The logical first step is getting people to use their real names.

Personally, I think it's a misunderstanding of gamers on their behalf if that's true. A lot of them like to keep their social network separate from their gaming network.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »

To me it looks like they were or are planning to move to some kind of facebook'esque amalgam/hybrid/monster.

Seriously, if you're Kotick or some other business money guy and you look at facebook raking in the money from advertising and selling peoples info then the logical conclusion is "lets make it like facebook" never underestimate the greed and stupidity of businesses. They will expand in however many ways they can to get every little drop of money.

My guess is they are or are planning to introduce it in gradual phases, building something akin to facebook takes time. Look at how long diaspora is taking to get created. The logical first step is getting people to use their real names.

Personally, I think it's a misunderstanding of gamers on their behalf if that's true. A lot of them like to keep their social network separate from their gaming network.

Mainly because of the social stigma that comes from it. I mean typically happy hour and stuff like that is a typical employee pass-time after work right? Now, if a few thousand or so people have been fired for stuff similar to that, imagine what that says will happen to gamers if they're "found out."

I mean we've done this ad nauseam in this thread alone, that, an employer may not like that you're staying up until midnight to raid, or, declining staying late to finish a big project because it's nerd night with the buddies. At least, they haven't so far been able to tell these things because most gamers keep it pretty tight lipped.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They wouldn't need to use real names if they were going to build their own social network with blackjack and hookers.

The only reason to use real names necessarily is if they plan(ned) on tying it into facebook directly.

Your Networks

*City*
    *University*
    *WoW Server*

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Ding ding ding.

They shouldn't be making things easier, but people are acting like the floodgates aren't already open. Half the people in this thread are wide open with google and 15 minutes.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Ding ding ding.

They shouldn't be making things easier, but people are acting like the floodgates aren't already open. Half the people in this thread are wide open with google and 15 minutes.

No, this is wrong.

There's pretty much no way to tie my real name to my forum handle (or even to my previous, self-selected forum handle.) Which is the whole point. Half the people in the thread aren't wide open after 15 minutes on google because we don't know what their real names are.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dogs and cats living together
    mass hysteria!

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Mainly because of the social stigma that comes from it. I mean typically happy hour and stuff like that is a typical employee pass-time after work right? Now, if a few thousand or so people have been fired for stuff similar to that, imagine what that says will happen to gamers if they're "found out."

I mean we've done this ad nauseam in this thread alone, that, an employer may not like that you're staying up until midnight to raid, or, declining staying late to finish a big project because it's nerd night with the buddies. At least, they haven't so far been able to tell these things because most gamers keep it pretty tight lipped.

This has nothing distinct about being a gamer, or a polo enthuiast, or a poker player, scrabble master, softball player or any other hobby/game that exists.

As someone that does hiring, I'd take the gamer over the first 2*

*unless he was a rogue.

Gnutson on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Maybe my name is Bowen, maybe not.

bowen on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Oh man, I didn't even believe it when I actually saw it at first.

In 30 seconds (or whatever) between when I saw someone post the link to the wow.com article to when I actually followed the links to the CM statement, I was completely sure that wow.com was just making shit up.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There's pretty much no way to tie my real name to my forum handle (or even to my previous, self-selected forum handle.) Which is the whole point. Half the people in the thread aren't wide open after 15 minutes on google because we don't know what their real names are.

This is the other side of that "but my name is not unique, I'm safe!"

You're in the clear, *golf clap*. I've counted at least four in here with real names from the first google. And that's just from being bored at work. Always the link is something they forgot.

Myspace, Steam, Facebook, Vox, guild applications, whatever. The link will eventually pop up if those are not careful.

Again, the internet is already freaking dangerous if you're not ready.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

This is the other side of that "but my name is not unique, I'm safe!"

You're in the clear, *golf clap*. I've counted at least four in here with real names from the first google. And that's just from being bored at work. Always the link is something they forgot.

Myspace, Steam, Facebook, Vox, guild applications, whatever. The link will eventually pop up if those are not careful.

Again, the internet is already freaking dangerous if you're not ready.

Uh, no. There are a variety of real-world things that can be found via google that I can't keep my name from being included in. Obviously facebook, but I've also been quoted in various publications, had my contact info on websites as a staffer, in addition to the various free databases in which my information can be found.

Plus I have a pretty unique name, so I'm really easy to track down if you know it.

Of course, I'm careful with online aliases, which is why on this forum (among other places) I am careful not to give away information that could identify me if you didn't already know me. The difference is that this RealID thing would have removed the ability to even be careful, just by tossing my name out there for everyone to see.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Suffer, mortals, as your pathetic internet BETRAAAAAYS you!

forty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They wouldn't need to use real names if they were going to build their own social network with blackjack and hookers.

The only reason to use real names necessarily is if they plan(ned) on tying it into facebook directly.

Your Networks

*City*
    *University*
    *WoW Server*

Real names are worth a lot of money for marketing companies. It's why facebook requires you use your real name, because selling that shit on makes them $$$ and people on facebook are ignorant of the settings to disable that, at least until facebook decide to change their settings again.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well yeah, but if all they wanted to do was sell their user information to consumer databases, they could already do that.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well yeah, but if all they wanted to do was sell their user information to consumer databases, they could already do that.

Except with facebook you can specificly tailor advertisements for them. When I go to Penny Arcade I get ads for online games like WoW and EVE online, once upon a time I get annoying generic banner ads but I'm much more likely to click these targeted ads.

Edit: And it has more exposure too, you have a spam filter on your email and probably never read them. Facebook it will be constant banner adds and annoying applications idiots will send your way.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why do people keep acting like your Battle.net account will merge with your Facebook account when all they've revealed is that they'll use your facebook friends' info to friend them in battle.net? Am I missing something here?

Opty on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    yes, that was basically my original point

edit: re: demiurge

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    Why do people keep acting like your Battle.net account will merge with your Facebook account when all they've revealed is that they'll use your facebook friends' info to friend them in battle.net? Am I missing something here?

I don't see it merging with facebook, I see Blizzard/Activision trying to do some gamer equivalent of facebook. In other words, why would they integrate with facebook? They'd lose potential money, they'd want to build their own equivalent and sell peoples info on to advertisers/marketing companies.

The first step to that is your real name, marketing companies are slathering all over social networks because there's so much information they can mine from people for advertising shit. It makes logical sense for Blizzard/Activision to see that as another potential income source.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blizzard already has a contract with Facebook. They're not looking to create their own network.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Uh, no. There are a variety of real-world things that can be found via google that I can't keep my name from being included in. Obviously facebook, but I've also been quoted in various publications, had my contact info on websites as a staffer, in addition to the various free databases in which my information can be found.

Plus I have a pretty unique name, so I'm really easy to track down if you know it.

Of course, I'm careful with online aliases, which is why on this forum (among other places) I am careful not to give away information that could identify me if you didn't already know me. The difference is that this RealID thing would have removed the ability to even be careful, just by tossing my name out there for everyone to see.

So you say I'm wrong, but you admit that you're careful, whereas others -- and this might shock you -- are not.

And again...
    They [being blizzard] shouldn't be making things easier, but people are acting like the floodgates aren't already open. Half the people <---[LOOK! NOT ALL! AMAZING!] in this thread are wide open with google and 15 minutes.

I'm not supporting Blizzard's damn RealID system, but frankly if you're worried about the some of the jumps in reason being made on here, then you should also be locking down your general online presence.

Automaticzen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Blizzard already has a contract with Facebook. They're not looking to create their own network.

That'll only last as long as it is convenient to both companies, if Blizzard/Activision think dropping facebook would make them loads more money by setting up agreements directly with marketing companies they'd do it in a flash. Never underestimate greed.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---