Options

Tell me about old-ass Playstation 1 games!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My PSX Days were defined mostly by the following:

PARASITE EVE

RESIDENT EVIL 2
    (Totally play Leon first, then Claire.)

MEGAMAN X4

CRASH BANDICOOT 3: WARPED

APOCALYPSE STARRING BRUCE WILLIS

Houn on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Skullmonkeys yet. Amazing (yet very difficult) platformer with a great sense of humor and sick claymation graphics. Definitely one of the best PS1 games out there.

The Oddworld games are great too, Abe's Oddysee is the only one I've played, but I've heard good things about the others as well.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    So many RPGs, how I miss you in the current generation.

The OP was asking for games that are still playable though, so you can scratch 95% of them off the list.
    And yet those 5% seem to be the majority of recommendations :P
    Really that comment was just a complaint that I want more RPG options on the current gen systems.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The OP was asking for games that are still playable though, so you can scratch 95% of them off the list.
    Really that comment was just a complaint that I want more RPG options on the current gen systems.

Anyone that recommends a PS1 rpg should be forced to play it to completion in the last 6 months before being able to recommend it again. Then we can just determine that the person has terrible ideas on what is fun and isn't clouded by nostalgia.

solsovly on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    solsovly wrote: »

Anyone that recommends a PS1 rpg should be forced to play it to completion in the last 6 months before being able to recommend it again. Then we can just determine that the person has terrible ideas on what is fun and isn't clouded by nostalgia.

I still play FFT .... it is gaming nirvana.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I re-played Suikoden a couple years ago (yay PSN, now give me Suikoden 2!) does that count?

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am currently playing Persona 2 (and 1, obviously :lol: ) and would recommend it in a heartbeat (...would not recommend 1 as much though)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    after the amount of time I spent working on the DS rerelease of Rhapsody, I basically have no desire to be around it ever again
    I know, that's why I mentioned it BWUAHAHAHAH

Also,

CLOCK TOWER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFsSPny1JM

After playing this game, no other horror game will scare you ever again.

Did you watch this video before posting it?
    Did anyone mention Incredible Crisis yet?

NO THEY HAVE NOT AND THE SHOULD'VE. Great game.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    legend10.jpg

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    legend10.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSS

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

That is why you won't see me recommending any except FF7 and FF: Tactics. And probably not those, either, since I assume everyone has already played them.

I do think the Playstation port of Diablo is worth picking up solely for novelty value, though. I have a thing for all the crazy PC to Playstation ports the console got.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    legend10.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSS

This game is so goddamn good and like no one has played it.

It's simply amazing. So much pioneered content. Context-sensitive combat, for instance.

EDIT: This is one of the first games I Goozex'd when I was building my RPG Library among Final Fantasies, etc.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    legend10.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSS

This game is so goddamn good and like no one has played it.

It's simply amazing. So much pioneered content. Context-sensitive combat, for instance.

EDIT: This is one of the first games I Goozex'd when I was building my RPG Library among Final Fantasies, etc.

I bought it when it came out on a whim. I figured it was going to be some lame Final Fantasy rip-off. I was so pleasantly surprised. The combat was flippin sweet, and I remember loving the cut-scenes. Now I'm flooded with good feelings.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Seconding the previous votes for Skullmonkeys, Wild 9, the Oddworld games, and Heart of Darkness.

I would like to add Tomba! and it's sequel, and Silhouette Mirage.

Me like platformers.

Nick Soapdish on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    some slightly less obvious stuff i guess, skewed heavily towards my personal preferences heh

heart of darkness
    no one can stop mr domino
    silhouette mirage
    n2o
    g darius
    r-type delta
    devil dice
    gekioh shooting king
    viewpoint
    tomba 1 and 2
    in the hunt
    mr driller
    strider 2 (double disc that comes with the first strider arcade game too)
    castlevania chronicles

import only stuff
    vib ribbon
    gradius gaiden
    harmful park
    zanac x zanac
    internal section
    dodonpachi

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shadow Hearts. Awesome JRPG. And when you're done, go grab the second one, even better; infact Shadow Hearts 2 is one of my top 3 JRPG's of all time.

EDIT
    We'll I'll be, Shadow Hearts 1 is a PS2 game. All the gaming Generations merge into one. Sorry!

The only thing I can remember loving on the PS1 is Tekken 3, FFIX, and Chrono Cross. God damn, that was a great RPG Machine.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am currently staring at the case for Dead Ball Zone.

To continue playing my current Fallout 3 save, or start a new save on DBZ? That is the question.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    heres a gameplay video of the first level of internal section. its like n2o, tempest, and rez mashed together basically. it gets crazier on later levels, but i cant find any decent quality videos of them at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeZYb1dOSSg

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played the hell out of Ace Combat 2 and 3 back in the day. I also learned my love of headshots from the first two Syphon Filter games.

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Legend of Mana was amazing. I beat it multiple times and I still can't figure out what the fuck was up storywise. I just had fun running around and beating things with my sword and board.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played through this a long time ago and remember enjoying it when I was hankering for more FFT style games. I still have it on my shelf and have been meaning to give it a try again, but am too backed up w/ current gen stuff.

Saiyuki_Journey_West_cover.jpg

Its a tactical RPG, based on an Eastern (Chinese?) legend.

Orestus on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What kind of time investment am I looking at with Vagrant Story? It seems interesting, but if it's an 80-hour slog I'd rather hold off. If I remember, this is what Star Ocean 2 is like. I probably put 50 hours into that when I was younger, not sure if I was even close to beating it.

If you want to just be able to play through the game, it's not LONG. If you want to get that perfect Damascus weapon that does full damage to all mobs, then it'll take a while. There are a few caveats to Vagrant Story though. The combat mechanics are slow and heavily rhythm based, and button mashing will only make the game more painful. Everybody I know who hasn't grasped this important element have never gotten past the first boss fight. The game also looks pretty bad with lots of jaggies these days, however the atmosphere and story are pretty good.

Akilae on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I quite liked Vandal Hearts. My first purchase along with the system and Suikoden. Good times.

Brigandine was an obscure but servicable strategy rpg.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Grandia and Valkyrie Profile are on the top of my favorite PS1 games for sure.

Grandi is the best JRPG ever made. A truly special game. How anyone can dislike Justin, Sue and Feena I will never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGiNEaNxOxo

Listen to that music, it's redolent of adventure and excitement. No fucking angst here - we're off to see the world and then save it. And get the girl. And learn important life lessons. Great characters, graphics that hold up well and and an awesome battle system.

Lets go!

Gadwin's Secret Move
    Dragon King Slice
    I've still never beaten the first Grandia. I blame it on getting it the same year that I got FFVIII. I also didn't like the way-too-confusing dungeon setups or the voice acting, which is particularly bad since I share the main character's name. Every time someone would yell or call his name I cringed a little.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sled Storm is/was pretty fun. Had a pretty cool soundtrack too. They did a PS2 version, but that one was more SSX-style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJIl4aJ8HY4

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    mastrius wrote: »
    Monster Rancher 2

Done. One month will fly by.

5 pages late, but this all the way to the bank. But you gotta have old CDs, so it may not be worthwhile if you don't have many PS1 or old music CDs. This game had so many monsters and many unlockable ones. Better than the later ones, and pretty much 75% of my gametime was lining up cds to spawn monsters from.

Megaman X4 was mentioned a few times, and I hold it as my favorite Megaman games.
    Jade Cocoon was also mentioned, but I don't think it holds up too well nowadays. I really liked the visuals and the monster-fusing. This and Monster Rancher were pretty much played simultaneously for me back when.

Legend of Legaia was one of my favorite RPGs before FFIX topped the list. I still fondly remember it for it's gameplay. The battles had your three characters create chains of combos and they performed martial arts moves based on the input kinda like a fighting game. However, once you discovered all the combos for the characters, the battles tend to drag. The graphics weren't terrible, mostly in the battles, and the story was good. But I really loved the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6sBDfXs-o&feature=related

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Castlevania: SoTN
    Final Fantasy Tactics

and even though I think I was the only one, I loved me some Kings Field 1 and 2

I'm going to second the Kings Field games so goddamn hard. Get both of them, they are fucking amazing. Hard as balls and slow as fuck but they're seriously some of the most fun I've had. You start with fucking nothing and you have to fight and claw your way to get anywhere and when you do get something or somewhere you really feel like you earned it. They do a great job of making you feel like you're trying to survive in a hostile place. The one on PS2 is even better, imo, but this is a PS1 game thread. :)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Gex 1 or 3 - I never played 2 so I can't recommend for or against it.

I always recommend Xenogears, even though I'm sure some people will call it a steaming pile, it's a great game. One of my favorite games ever.

Also Pandemonium was pretty fun.

Alundra's already been mentioned.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I remember Valkyrie Profile looking awesome, but I don't remember if I had fun playing it.

That probably means I didn't.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Shadow Hearts. Awesome JRPG. And when you're done, go grab the second one, even better; infact Shadow Hearts 2 is one of my top 3 JRPG's of all time.

Or you can buy Koudelka, the precursor to Shadow Hearts.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Horrible battle system and all.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Any of the PS1 Spyros, if you like collectathons. 3 is probably the best, but 2 is pretty good as well. The first game is less polished and has some design mechanics that are fairly obnoxious, but it has its own sort of charm.

jothki on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember Valkyrie Profile looking awesome, but I don't remember if I had fun playing it.

That probably means I didn't.

Valk Profile is fun, though it gets a little tedious and boring near the end. It starts to run out of story and loses its umph. Good luck finding it at a worth-while price as well, most i've seen go for over $100 a copy. I don't know why this game has so many fans either, it really isn't anything spectacular.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What kind of time investment am I looking at with Vagrant Story? It seems interesting, but if it's an 80-hour slog I'd rather hold off. If I remember, this is what Star Ocean 2 is like. I probably put 50 hours into that when I was younger, not sure if I was even close to beating it.

I want to say it's only about 20 hours for one playthrough. It's not a huge RPG unless you want to play it a second time, which unlocks all the optional stuff, including all the best weapons and armor. And the toughest bosses. And the fucking ridiculous optional dungeon, Iron Maiden.

But there's no extra story, just new weapons and new enemies to kill.

And I still think it looks fucking fantastic. The art team on FFTactics, Vagrant Story, and FF12 is full of geniuses.

Renzo on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FFT has the Deep Dungeon which I want to say has 100 levels maybe?

also, you can get Cloud and the Materia Sword

Xaquin on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

Now I've never played Koudelka

But if you're saying Shadow Hearts had a horrible battle system, you are the worst

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

I want to say it's only about 20 hours for one playthrough. It's not a huge RPG unless you want to play it a second time, which unlocks all the optional stuff, including all the best weapons and armor. And the toughest bosses. And the fucking ridiculous optional dungeon, Iron Maiden.

But there's no extra story, just new weapons and new enemies to kill.

And I still think it looks fucking fantastic. The art team on FFTactics, Vagrant Story, and FF12 is full of geniuses.

Yeah, Vagrant Story is one of the few 3D PS1 games that I think still looks really good.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

Now I've never played Koudelka

But if you're saying Shadow Hearts had a horrible battle system, you are the worst

Not at all.
    Shadow Hearts had a fantastic battle system.
    Koudelka had a horrible one.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Silent Hill

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In no particular order (all are excellent):

Xenogears
    Legend of Legaia
    Parasite Eve (1, 2 was ok)
    Thousand Arms
    Lunar 1 and 2
    Theme Hospital
    Brace Fencer Musashi
    Bushido Blade
    Sheep (awesome puzzle game)
    Tomba
    Eternal Eyes (Tactics + poke/digimon monsters)
    Blazing Dragons (whoever mentioned it earlier, have my babies)
    Jade Cocoon
    Blood Omen: LoK
    Soul Reaver
    Fear Effect

Man...I played a lot of RPGs in those days.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png