As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

oh god oh god oh god

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's a TV movie.

"Brodini the Bus Driver"

It chronicles his quest for a pen tablet.

MKR on
  • Options
    JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I wasn't spanked as a child. Not as a rule, anyway. My parents would explain to me what consequences my actions had. If I misbehaved, their disappointment was enough punishment. But there were occasions where I completely, consciously disobeyed them, and I got spanked.

It was the embarrassment and surprise that disciplined me on those occasions, not physical pain or fear of their power. The fact that I had misbehaved so much to drive my parents to do that was enough to make sure I didn't do it again. This is what people against spanking fail to realise. It's not about being an authoritarian.

Obviously if all you do is spank, spank, spank then you cause problems, because there is no reasoning and then it all becomes about aggression. But likewise, purely reasoning with your child and not following up with actual punishment is just as bad.

But the most important thing is that every child is different. Some kids will respond highly to reasoning. Others won't respond at all. Some kids don't need to be spanked, others need to be spanked because they don't understand the consequences from disobeying the reasoning. It's all about finding the balance. And that is up to the parents.

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man I got a baseball bat to the face as a kid :(

M.D. on
  • Options
    JAKJAK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man I got a baseball bat to the face as a kid :(
    As punishment?

JAK on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    nah that was a fight with some kid at school

punishment was a belt

I was reading Ranes thing about being punched and the first real fight where I was hit in the face was with a bat.

M.D. on
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I was only ever spanked once and that was for attempting to murder my little sister

Or, at least, that's how my mom describes it

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i had heaps of fights, one time i broke my knuckle from giving a sweet punch and one other time a dude broke my nose

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man i've never been in a fight

i'm too chill

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    usually my fights are pretty one dimensional

that is to say the bouncer wins

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i punched a dude in the face at a bar because he punched my mate in the face

PUB BRAWL

Fletcher on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i was in a couple fights growing up

one time was in a haystack jungle gym where some guy was picking on my sister who was sitting on top. it was just like thunder dome!!

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I have been in 11 fights.

Half in middle school while most the others were relegated to bars (either working or as a patron).

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    never been in a 'real' fight

did backhand my brother a few years ago, but to be fair, he was being a bitch and totally deserved it.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, my consumption of alcohol was directly related to me getting in fights

Thankfully it only happened a couple of times in college before I realized I was being an idiot

Usagi on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i came here expecting adorable baby pictures and instead

:(

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    you wanna fight about it

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    to be fair, that baby was being a dick

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh shit

i just found Pushing Daisies seasons 1 and 2 on netflix instant cue

i know what im doing this weekend

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    is that the show that looks like the black hole sun music video?

Food on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ...not really, but I could see how you might think that if you'd only seen commercials for it

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    only been in one "fight", which involved the kid throwing a wild swing at my ear, me having no idea what was going on, and my friend pushing him away almost immediately

then the dude just walked away

ahh the halcyon days of high school freshmanhood

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shots to the ear are brutal.

It's way up on my list of one of the worst places to get hit.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fighting is dumb and i hate all the assholes who decide to engage in that behavior at the bar because then i actually have to do my job instead of stare at co-ed ass all night

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    almost got in a fight the other night

started typing it up but it's pretty boring and mainly the result of drunk assholes

I have a Louisville Slugger in the back of my car now

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    fuck the bat if you're in the car just run them over

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    man i've never been in a fight

i'm too chill

's what i always thought. it will get you out of lot of fights, but sometimes, just sometimes, it ain't gonna be enough.

also it is really easy to get punched out cold if the other guy knows what he's doing. double that if you get suckerpunched (which somehow, fight-picking assholes are tremedously fond of.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Or drive away

MKR on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's also why I got my permit to carry a concealed firearm. After my wife's uncle just got killed by a psycho with a knife, I felt it was time to not fuck around with it anymore.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    you got a problem man?
    - No dude, just let me be on my *KLONK!*
    haha i totally beat that dudes ass yo.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    That's also why I got my permit to carry a concealed firearm. After my wife's uncle just got killed by a psycho with a knife, I felt it was time to not fuck around with it anymore.

im so glad we don't do that.

seriously, i'd be shitting my pants so much if everyone around me was packing heat.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    fuck the bat if you're in the car just run them over

yeah but if I'm outside the car

I've been meaning the move the bat into my room, actually. I'm usually closer to my house than my car when I feel like things might turn ugly (I live across from a/"the" bar)

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    I've never been in a fight and I never intend to change that

slapped a dude in the face really hard once, but I don't think that counts

and he did't hit you back? that shit gets you in fight generally.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    bwanie wrote: »

im so glad we don't do that.

seriously, i'd be shitting my pants so much if everyone around me was packing heat.

If you're fully trained, it's no big deal. My father taught shooting to beginners in the military, so I've been trained it that style of gun safety, trigger safety, and properly identifying my target before shooting as to not hit some poor unlucky bastard behind it.

Now fucktard gun nuts who think spraying bullets in the vicinity of a target is a plan of action scare me. There are way too many of them.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    anywhoo, back to babies. i'm getting a baby girl in 5 months and i just know she's gona be awesome.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

i seriously hate having to walk to my truck at 3am and worry about ghetto thugs and crackheads outside the bar who have a bone to pick with somebody that may have thrown them out for being an asshole

but by 3am most of the time there is nobody around.

still disconcerting when you're at work and you've got a whole crowd of jackasses walking off saying they're gonna fuck you up later and get you another time white boy etc etc

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    anywhoo, back to babies. i'm getting a baby girl in 5 months and i just know she's gona be awesome.

I will send my son over in 18 years and 5 months to say hello :winky:

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I will send my son over in 18 years and 5 months to say hello :winky:

i woulden't mind that. i think your progeny would be adequate 8-)

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I told my mom I wanted my firstborn son's first and middle names to be Bruce Wayne and she threatened to disown me

It could have been worse. (see Kal'El Cage)

Sorry I'm late but this deserves a Mel Gibson WHAT?
    (Why isn't there rimshot type website for Mel Gibson's WHAT?)

Also, congrats man, listen to this when you have those awww, moments

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    godammit there's so much crud in this laptop half of my letters are barely registering.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

i seriously hate having to walk to my truck at 3am and worry about ghetto thugs and crackheads outside the bar who have a bone to pick with somebody that may have thrown them out for being an asshole

but by 3am most of the time there is nobody around.

still disconcerting when you're at work and you've got a whole crowd of jackasses walking off saying they're gonna fuck you up later and get you another time white boy etc etc

Yeah, it's amazing how many minor incidents I read about turn ridiculously violent for no reason. People are fucking insane.

For instance, 2 weeks ago my wife's uncle heard a scream at his neighbor's place (it's a double home). He was worried because he knew the lady had two young kids like 10 and 12 years old, and her elderly grandfather (85) lives there too.

So, he went over their back deck and knocked on the door, and through the glass saw tons of blood. He told his wife to get back in the house and dial 9-1-1. He went in to check and the psychopath ex-boyfriend of the lady, who was out of jail only a year or two for stabbing someone else to death at 18 years old, went fucking nuts in the house because she was going to get married to another man.

Her uncle fought the guy, but he ended up getting stabbed and falling over. Then he got his throat slit. The cops caught the asshole, but my wife's whole family is now in a state of shock. This clown killed 3 people in the house and her uncle that came over to help. First quadruple homicide in this area ever.

Hunter on