As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It pauses, yeah. Either switch to peacefully for a while, or use night to do all your crafting.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    It pauses, yeah. Either switch to peacefully for a while, or use night to do all your crafting.

Or go into the inventory screen which does not pause the game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SporklordSporklord Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well Wangchester is almost done. For fun, I've hidden chests around the cathedral.

While there aren't any prizes in them, CAN YOU FIND THEM ALL?! 7 in all.

Sporklord on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ok so, what's an ideal small bunker thing to start with to stay away from the monsters? Large rectangle tower with skylight?

Dig a hole two blocks deep, two blocks tall, and one block high into the side of a hill. Enter the hole. Replace the dirt for the entrance, leaving yourself a one block wide, one block deep, two blocks tall space.

Pray for dawn.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Ok so, what's an ideal small bunker thing to start with to stay away from the monsters? Large rectangle tower with skylight?

Dig a hole two blocks deep, two blocks tall, and one block high into the side of a hill. Enter the hole. Replace the dirt for the entrance, leaving yourself a one block wide, one block deep, two blocks tall space.

Pray for dawn.

You might want a buffer from a creeper. Dig deeper.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Pray for dawn.

I used to do this until I dug down into lava and burned to death.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lux782 wrote: »

Pray for dawn.

I used to do this until I dug down into lava and burned to death.

one block high? how do you enter?

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think I just killed Vic's server while searching for a mass of sand.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    anyone know if there is a way to get rid of that annoying bug that creates permanent currents in the water if you put a block in it then take it out?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that bug only happens if you take water from a space that is more than 1 block deep

as such, my solution are to either

1) make all water sources 1 block deep

2) make all water sources 1 block deep, then when it's all still, dig out what you want then. You'll need a separate 2x2x1 water pool to take water from

3) have your water sources as normal, but every time you take from it and it gets that permanent flow bug, you need to build up the time being flowed to to 1 deep

Raneados on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Pray for dawn.

I had to resort to this the first time I touched this game a few days ago. Like a boss, I didn't read the getting started guide so I had no idea you could change it to peaceful.

All my worlds are barren winter wastelands that seem to be populated with nothing but cows, zombies, skeleton archer guys, and spiders.

First night. THWOCK THWOCK THWOCK - OH GOD WHAT IS THAT!?

Dig hole, Bury self.

5 minutes later open hole. (After trying to find the right DIRECTION in pitch black - Finally see snow, Yay!) OH GOD ITS STILL ! , THWOCK THWOCK THWOCK

Bury.

I ended up punching it once (which it punished me for) and forced me to retreat back to my hide hole.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    that bug only happens if you take water from a space that is more than 1 block deep

as such, my solution are to either

1) make all water sources 1 block deep

2) make all water sources 1 block deep, then when it's all still, dig out what you want then. You'll need a separate 2x2x1 water pool to take water from

3) have your water sources as normal, but every time you take from it and it gets that permanent flow bug, you need to build up the time being flowed to to 1 deep

thanks!

new question that the minecraftwiki page on minecart tracks won't tell me: can you get them back by hitting them or does that just break it into less parts than it took?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    they come back if you hit them

Raneados on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    they come back if you hit them

Just like women

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Like the Dwarf Fortress thread, I like to be a lurker and look at all the awesome skins([This game]) and geography you guys are creating. Please feed more screens of your hijinks, they do not go unappreciated.

McAllen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    you're a good kid raneados

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i try

I'm a tryer

Raneados on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    anyone got the IP for vics?

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    sooo my computer froze and i rebooted it, now my minecraft doesn't see my world... just has a bunch of empty slots

i know for a fact it is there because i went to C:\documents and settings\user\application data\.minecraft\saves and it is definitely there

the game just doesn't see it any more

i hope there is a fix because i've put too much into this world :(

edit: i tried renaming it by the way

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    LandeydaLandeyda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just noticed the sales are past 50,000. Which is over half a million euros.

Landeyda on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Can we get an updated map Vic?

Lux782 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pffff. So i've been gutting this mountain with caves looking for iron or something to finally upgrade my terrible wooden picks and such. I find some dirt! I start digging in the dirt. Suddenly, I hear "WHUMP" and I can't see anything and am taking damage.

Turns out I caused a cave in which collapsed on me.
    whoopsb.png

Whoops!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh hey, neat. Maybe I can rig something up for a server.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pffff. So i've been gutting this mountain with caves looking for iron or something to finally upgrade my terrible wooden picks and such. I find some dirt! I start digging in the dirt. Suddenly, I hear "WHUMP" and I can't see anything and am taking damage.

Turns out I caused a cave in which collapsed on me.
    whoopsb.png

Whoops!

you do know you can make stone picks from all that gray stuff everywhere once you have made the wooden pick to get it?

pabh on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I did NOT know this. I take it those speckled blocks can get me better ore with one of those picks?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So my main efforts on Vic's server have been to build under-sea tunnels and complexes. And drilling platforms.

I'm going to try to figure out a way to build underwater tunnels without tunneling beneath the sea floor. Once glass is in it'll be awesome.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I did NOT know this. I take it those speckled blocks can get me better ore with one of those picks?

with a wood pick you can quarry stone and coal, a stone pick for iron, and a iron pick for diamond, gold, red stuff

pabh on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WHO DESTROYED MY IDOLISIDE SIGN!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    pabh wrote: »

with a wood pick you can quarry stone and coal, a stone pick for iron, and a iron pick for diamond, gold, red stuff

Arrgh. So that's why ore wasn't dropping from those iron ore blocks when I was using a wooden pick.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    jonxp wrote: »

Arrgh. So that's why ore wasn't dropping from those iron ore blocks when I was using a wooden pick.

I tend to use Iron picks asap as they last alot longer that stone picks. Gets annoying going back to base to craft new picks every ten minutes.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Idoliside wrote: »

I tend to use Iron picks asap as they last alot longer that stone picks. Gets annoying going back to base to craft new picks every ten minutes.

I always pick multiple picks so I don't have to craft as often.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »

I always pick multiple picks so I don't have to craft as often.

I make multiples until I have enough iron to just use them or I find diamond, and once you go diamond you don't go back.

pabh on
  • Options
    JarthJarth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone else see this as the best survival horror game ever? I don't even care about building stuff for the most part, I just want to get deeper and deeper into the earth and find things (I found 1 monster spawner with a treasure chest, but didn't know what it was until I died D: ).

For such a simple game with such totally cartoony graphics, it manages to scare the shit out of my sometimes. Running out of torches and the creepy "oh you're FUCKED now" music starts off in the shadows makes me pee a little. Or busting through a wall into a new cavern with a waterfall, putting a torch on the wall and not being able to see the far wall OR the bottom of the waterfall.

No game has had me this spooked in a looong time. It's one of few games that actually makes me scared of the shadows. This game has NO ambient light, if you're in a cave it is PITCH black.

also, gameplay question: The minecart with the furnace, is there no way to have it just go without having to hold use on it? seems a bit pointless if it can't shove me back to the surface in style instead of hoofing it (i know you can make another cart with a chest in it, but still, i can push it instead of using the furnace cart).

Jarth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have started the single player, and I'm not seeing any monsters. I waited for night, and I made sure I wasn't on peaceful difficulty, I just don't get any monsters trying to eat me.
    :?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Somebody call Einstein because this game spits on his silly notions of relativity and speeds up time. Last time I checked the time it was 1:20, then I spent what I thought was around 20 minutes making a dry trench-path through the sea only to check the time again and see that over an hour had gone by.

Not to mention the...oh, I dunno....all goddamn day I spent doing this shit. My excuse is that it's been pouring rain all day :P

Man, this game is great! Which, considering it's only in Alpha, just makes it even more great because it's destined to do nothing but get even greater in the future. It's like it's bringing Greatness Credits back from the future and using them now, which is probably really bad for the space-time continuum. Or something. God help us all.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    JarthJarth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Equip coal and click on the furnacecart. That puts it in as fuel.

Oh, like punch it with coal? I was using it with right click and getting no results... I feel dumb now

Jarth on
  • Options
    LandeydaLandeyda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I have started the single player, and I'm not seeing any monsters. I waited for night, and I made sure I wasn't on peaceful difficulty, I just don't get any monsters trying to eat me.
    :?

If you have a bunch of torches around your base monsters won't spawn there.

Landeyda on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jarth wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Equip coal and click on the furnacecart. That puts it in as fuel.

Oh, like punch it with coal? I was using it with right click and getting no results... I feel dumb now

Well now I'm a little lost. The wiki page says right clicking with the fuel should work. But I remember it being left click. Strange.

Suriko on