As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Skeletons suck on hard because they take so many hits and you have to be right in front to hit them if you haven't found spiders yet for string, and they just keep shooting arrows at you. Forever.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well it finally happened today, someone decided to burn down the whole forest I was creating in Vic's server and then some. I know that it was going to happen someday but it still hurts a little inside, hahaha. I would also like to thank all the brave men and women who helped in the fire fighting.

Screenshots (NSF56K)

Fire, fire! (I didn't manage to take the picture of the original forest before it burned but it was pretty big)
    forestfire1.jpg
    forestfire2.jpg
    forestfire3.jpg
    forestfire4.jpg

Bravemen of minecraft
    bravemenofminecraft5.jpg

Evidence of griefing
    firestarter.jpg

Group photo (Not everyone made it there :cry:)
    firemen.jpg

Peas on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have made two improvements to the server, though I am terribly sorry they came too late. Firstly fire is no longer allowed, it can no longer be placed on the server. Second we have working furnaces, though they appear to be a bit wonky still.

Good times are ON!

Vic on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have already moved on, now it's time to start some real projects!

Peas on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    I have made two improvements to the server, though I am terribly sorry they came too late. Firstly fire is no longer allowed, it can no longer be placed on the server. Second we have working furnaces, though they appear to be a bit wonky still.

Good times are ON!

Does that mean magma will or won't set stuff on fire?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    dumbmanexdumbmanex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, bummer about that forest!

Here's some footage from my place, note the empty tool slots, haven't really played since the drowning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oms6DXm1Pdk

dumbmanex on
    Shark it up! Action/Arcade = The Great White Destroyer (August sale, half off! ShaShaShaShaShark Month!)
    Snowballs in peril! Action/Puzzle = Snowball's Chance E1 (it's free now!)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

Good times are ON!

Magma does not appear to set things on fire. Now, the important stuff!

Rule 1 of the new working forges: You make an inactive forge active and working by using a flint and steel on the tile above or below. After that it works, but still needs fuel. Use /lighter to get a lighter.

Rule 2: DO NOT LET THE FIRE GO OUT. If it runs out of fuel or things to smelt, it turns back into a useless forge and eats all your items.

Also buckets work again too.

Vic on
  • Options
    LionEyezLionEyez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To this day I've yet to find clay.

In my world, people* don't pay in gold or diamonds, but in clay.

*provided there were people beside me, obviously.

LionEyez on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peas wrote: »
    Well it finally happened today

noooo I was just about to make a video. RIP Forest 2010-2010. Oh well, at least sporky got some shots:
    Holy crap, posting this before it gets burned down.

forest1.jpg
    forest2e.jpg

Way awesomer to walk through it yourself (Vic's server along the stone road).

Also you can see it in sporky's map

Agentflit on
  • Options
    CabbsCabbs Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    USEFUL INFO THAT YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW MAYBE:

TURNING PEACEFUL MODE WHEN IN MULTIPLAYER GIVES YOU HEALTH REGEN. IT CAN PREVENT YOU BURNING TO DEATH.

Now maybe I will be able to keep a crystal pick for more than 15 minutes, and i'll have to do a lot less walking. Would have been nice working on my high tree tower arboretum with health regen. The distance from spawn was annoying. was I the only one who didnt know this?

Cabbs on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does this game have a bit of a learning curve or take awhile to get into? I'm pretty damn interested, but I have so many other time consuming hobbies I'd like to be able to just pick this up and put some time into it when I feel like it.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Does this game have a bit of a learning curve or take awhile to get into? I'm pretty damn interested, but I have so many other time consuming hobbies I'd like to be able to just pick this up and put some time into it when I feel like it.

The learning curve is surprisingly forgiving, as long as you have the crafting page of the wiki in another window.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »

The learning curve is surprisingly forgiving, as long as you have the crafting page of the wiki in another window.

Really quick. Nothing like Dwarf Fortress at all in terms of learning. Just learning the different crafting recipes and quick ways to make tools.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you use the wiki to learn the crafting recipes you can pretty much experience everything the game has to offer within an hour or two (assuming you dont spend the entire time huddled in a walled off room full of torches).

The game is super simple to learn, its the building techniques and mega-projects that take a while.

Edit: double beat'd

Aiserou on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That was a huge pain in the ass, but I believe I now have a function tool for automatically restarting the server every hour. First restart is scheduled in about 40 minutes, so we will see then! And yeah, the server is again up and running.

Edit: No it was not, crashed totally. Should be up in a few minutes.

Vic on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That forest looked spectacular!

For shame! Fuck fire.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Don't know what to say at this point, server has been damned impossible to deal with tonight. After being entirely stable for three days it has just started crashing since last night. I'll still try to get it to stay up but I have no idea what the problem is at this point.

Vic on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Good times are ON!

Rule 1 of the new working forges: You make an inactive forge active and working by using a flint and steel on the tile above or below. After that it works, but still needs fuel. Use /lighter to get a lighter.

Rule 2: DO NOT LET THE FIRE GO OUT. If it runs out of fuel or things to smelt, it turns back into a useless forge and eats all your items.

Is this just a new MP bug, or is that how forges are supposed to work now? I can see having to light them, but having to babysit it afterwards or lose all your stuff would suck.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Is this just a new MP bug, or is that how forges are supposed to work now? I can see having to light them, but having to babysit it afterwards or lose all your stuff would suck.

It's because somebody hacked them in for multiplayer.

Anyway, someone totally needs to make a Minecraft montage video set to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp3dbD7BQjE&feature=related

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I picked up the game a few days ago and it's remarkably easy to learn. Play singleplayer on peaceful for a little while to learn the recipes, controls, and different types of terrain, and then boost it up to learn the true meaning of... WHAT THE SHIT.

I think it's the best <$20 game I've bought in a long time and I haven't even got into the multiplayer.

DogEight on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aiserou wrote: »
    If you use the wiki to learn the crafting recipes you can pretty much experience everything the game has to offer within an hour or two (assuming you dont spend the entire time huddled in a walled off room full of torches).

The game is super simple to learn, its the building techniques and mega-projects that take a while.

Edit: double beat'd

So, would you say it takes a minute to learn, a lifetime to master?

othello.jpg
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Good times are ON!

It's just a work around until Notch polishes multiplayer, it's not meant to be that way, just what works in the first buggy release.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why does my custom skin not show up to everyone else?
    firemen.jpg

I can see the Zoidberg skin on myself but it doesn't show up in that group screenshot. Although a few other peoples custom skins do show up. What gives?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why does my custom skin shop up to everyone else?

I can see the Zoidberg skin on myself but it doesn't show up in that group screenshot. Although a few other peoples custom skins do show up. What gives?

I think they only show up if you're running the game from the browser. At least that's how it is for me. Otherwise, I have no clue.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I played the demo for this for all of like 20 minutes before deciding to buy it. Although it seemed like you could dig to the lava fairly quickly, which was sort of a bummer. Excited for monsters and such though.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Server crashed once again, and I almost don't know what to say. I am taking a break for tonight, it has become too stressful to try to get the damn server working only to see it crash and burn and watching you guys lose the hard work you have spent building stuff. I might set up the program to keep the server up overnight, but I would advice against ambitious projects since it appears to be unstable as all hell.

And please, if any of you find any information on how to deal with the instability in minecraft SMP servers let me know.

Vic on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    skin not showing? Make sure you log-in with the same caps you used to create the account.

For instance, when i was cmiddleton21 i was the standard dood

When i changed to Cmiddleton21, i became the stalker skin i had loaded on the website.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I played the demo for this for all of like 20 minutes before deciding to buy it. Although it seemed like you could dig to the lava fairly quickly, which was sort of a bummer. Excited for monsters and such though.

If it helps, you'll be greatly sped up with the use of tools. Create yourself a wooden pickaxe... and once you get 3 stones, create a stone pickaxe. (See the crafting link in the OP).

Once you get that, your ability to chisel through the earth is EXTREMELY increased. If I had to guess, I'd say a stone pickaxe cuts down the time it takes to break a stone block down to 1/4 of what it'd take with your bare hands. Once you get more rare items, the time it takes is even further reduced.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    firemen.jpg

Wierd. Im sure I saw you in your Zoidberg skin the whole time, as did someone else.

Are you using the Persister? When I run minecraft without it, my skin is the ME2 Shephard that I uploaded, but when I use the persister it is always the default guy.

Cabbs on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cabbs wrote: »
    firemen.jpg

Wierd. Im sure I saw you in your Zoidberg skin the whole time, as did someone else.

Are you using the Persister? When I run minecraft without it, my skin is the ME2 Shephard that I uploaded, but when I use the persister it is always the default guy.

I use the persister, and I still have my Hobbes skin show up.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh I know that it works, my brother and his friend have it working fine, but just not for me.

Vic's server is down atm so I cant test on there, but when I connected to another one just now it showed my custom skin like I intended. So god knows. It is a client side hack dealio after all, so cant expect it to work perfectly.

Cabbs on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mighty wrote: »
    skin not showing? Make sure you log-in with the same caps you used to create the account.

For instance, when i was cmiddleton21 i was the standard dood

When i changed to Cmiddleton21, i became the stalker skin i had loaded on the website.

^this is very important!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Made two more skins:

Brock-1.png

Baron.png

I think the mullet came out pretty good. And the second one is friggin adorable.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Did another full restart. As I said before I have no idea how long, and I would not suggest building anything you are afraid of losing.

Vic on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did another full restart. As I said before I have no idea how long, and I would not suggest building anything you are afraid of losing.

The world is obviously much bigger than it currently needs to be, especially with the mandatory resets. Might be a good idea to try to encourage some basic server rules... Pretty much, you don't obey these, the world will get reset faster.

First and foremost, don't go exploring twenty miles away.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Some pics from the Gentlemen of the Row PA group SMP server World 2.0 (after we blew up the first world all to hell.)

The raised stone paths to the castle go through the middle of a forest
    minecraftstonepath.jpg

Castle on the hill with waterfall
    castlewaterfall.jpg

WIP Floating island city
    floatingcity.jpg
    lavawaterfalls.jpg
    lavawater.jpg

lava and water pools seperated by glass
    glasswall.jpg

Soulgate smiles for the camera with dynamite in hand
    happydynamite.jpg

The start of our underground city once we hit bedrock after blasting a tunnel all the way down
    minecraftmoleville.jpg

Kris_xk's temp skull tower made of white cloth
    minecraftskull.jpg

And more WIP skull tower
    minecraftskull2.jpg

Also, a couple pics from the Gents creative server:
    Kris_xk's angry robot:
    krisrobot.jpg

Kris was also going to build Soulgate under the foot being crushed but didn't have the room. We decided to make his dream come true:
    minecraftsquishf.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    Made two more skins:

Brock-1.png

Baron.png

I think the mullet came out pretty good. And the second one is friggin adorable.

Pretty decent. But they could be even better!
    read the OP of this thread

I have made a texture layer for ease of use so you dont have to cut it out of the terrain.png texture.png

Here's my (still unfinished) Link skin before and after the modifications (plus fixing the eyes and nerfing the contrast on the two-color shading):
    lIhjB.pngB0C08.png

Note how much better the shading and cloth is in the second image. You might want to erase the cloth texture around the front of the face though; I did it because it looked strange.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ok, started over because I guess a natural cave is a better place to start than my own. Started, found a huge mountain, two massive caves. Start digging a little in one, see some coal, ANOTHER branching massive cave underneath.

And then zombies started coming up and bursting into flames.

This game rules.

There's also a cave with a nice little water cove on it. Will explore there when I have like, a sword.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ok so, what's an ideal small bunker thing to start with to stay away from the monsters? Large rectangle tower with skylight?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Ok so, what's an ideal small bunker thing to start with to stay away from the monsters? Large rectangle tower with skylight?

Ideal is just a hut with torches on the outside. They don't have the smarts to breach even the most pathetic of defenses yet, and the torches keep them from spawning nearby.

That last is important. You don't want to open the door and find a Creeper on the other side.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, can I like..alt tab during the night? It seems to pause when I do. Sitting inside the small building not doing anything is boring.

SniperGuy on