As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Will losing all my diamond tools in an inferno finally teach me to stop mining blocks I'm standing on? Only time will tell!
    No I will never learn.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peas wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's either Vic's or Zetx's in G&T, although Vic's server is unplayable now because it's really laggy in there. I'm not sure if Fort took his server down yet.

i did, gonna wait till the software is optimized some more

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I'm loving how high up you can get in this game. I am currently de-capping a mountain on Zetx's server.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i made a water/boat elevator and am working on a huge waterslide on my private server

this is something i might even take pictures of

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm sending out PMs to everyone who asked for the IP of Vic's server in this thread, and I advise others to do the same so we can speed things up a bit. The lag on Vic's server might be because the server needs a restart (every couple of hours).

And the creative server is currently not used.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes, the server does get screwed quite quickly now, so it seems that I will only be able to keep it up about 16 hours a day until the stability problem is fixed. It seems to have crashed for the first time tonight, I just hope no one's work was lost.

Server up again now.

Vic on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did Vic's server get sabotauged again? Is that why we are PMing the IP? If so, fucking silly geese.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vic wrote: »
    Yes, the server does get screwed quite quickly now, so it seems that I will only be able to keep it up about 16 hours a day until the stability problem is fixed. It seems to have crashed for the first time tonight, I just hope no one's work was lost.

Server up again now.

Vic what OS are you running the server on? windows?

If it was windows you could setup a seclude task to shut the server down at the end of every hour and then restart it automatically.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not that badly Ghost, but there has been a lot of strangers and some fires. It also reached 18 people yesterday, and I am worried about having many more than that on it. Want the IP?

Vic on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My future projects include a huge desert with pyramids, tombs and statues, and a sort of Venice-like flying city with channels and boat elevators everywhere, but I kinda don't want to commit to these projects until the SMP is more stable. But when I do, they will be glorious.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd like the IP please.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    warban wrote: »

Server up again now.

If it was windows you could setup a seclude task to shut the server down at the end of every hour and then restart it automatically.

This is a good idea, but I can't figure out how to schedule turning the program off.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So it turns out land reclamation is totally possible. I am drilling to the center of the Earth in the middle of the ocean!

I wonder if lava can be pressurized? My new company, British Paleocoal, believes it's completely safe!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Not that badly Ghost, but there has been a lot of strangers and some fires. It also reached 18 people yesterday, and I am worried about having many more than that on it. Want the IP?

No thanks Vic. i just bought the game yesterday and want to spend some time familiarizing myself with it in single player first. Perhaps later after a stability update or something.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My future projects include a huge desert with pyramids, tombs and statues, and a sort of Venice-like flying city with channels and boat elevators everywhere, but I kinda don't want to commit to these projects until the SMP is more stable. But when I do, they will be glorious.

Nice ideas. I need to create something massive. I've been sticking to smaller projects.

downer on
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a ventrillo channel for any of these servers? Organized building ftw

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a shameful confession to make. I was spelunking, placing a new torch every 3 blocks, and fell into a pit. A creeper was there, too, and it began to march toward me. In a moment of supreme cowardice, I paused the game and changed the difficulty to Peaceful, banishing the creeper to non-existence.

The day Notch makes it so torches don't last forever is the day I change the difficulty to Peaceful and never switch it back.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know he plans to do that but I really think it could be an idea he turns around on due to immense unpopularity.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I know he plans to do that but I really think it could be an idea he turns around on due to immense unpopularity.

I think I'd be okay with it if he makes redstone torches into better sources of light. Normal torches would be a starter item, like a wooden pickaxe is, and eventually you'd graduate to redstone torches.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I think I'd be okay with it if he makes redstone torches into better sources of light. Normal torches would be a starter item, like a wooden pickaxe is, and eventually you'd graduate to redstone torches.

Notch said he plans to have oil and oil lamps would burn forever.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And then he will put in a creature that drinks oil out of lamps, extinguishing them, and explodes. It will be the most terrifying thing ever.

Oh god, I shouldn't have given voice to that thought.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've drilled a shaft to the bottom of the Earth in the ocean near the spawn. Seems to have all sorts of minerals at the bottom.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I uploaded some of the better pictures of my first world
    I found a large deposit of clay, so I built myself a brick hut near some natural caves with a path leading back to my island safehouse.
    06-foresthut.png

There was an above ground lava flow, that I replaced with a waterfall and dug out a nice lake.
    08-vortexlake.png

Surveying my creations from the top of the watchtower in my enclosure. My sand castle safehouse is in the back center, and my lava pillar lighthouse is in the back right.
    11-viewfromtower.png

And as a preview of my second world about which I'll go into some further detail later, my double doors with a locking mechanism.
    09-DoubleDoorMechanism.png

I'm quite pleased that I managed to disguise the logic gates as railings to keep symmetry.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lux782 wrote: »

Good. Excellent! This completely satisfies my urge not to be eternally relighting the lamps in my capital city and my desire to have an epic "Silver Chair" like escape from my ruined underground empire.
    Then began the slow, weary march uphill with nothing ahead to look at but the pale lamps which went up and up and far as the eye could reach. When they looked back they could see the water spreading. All the hills of Underland were now islands, and it was only on those islands that the lamps remained. Every moment some distant light vanished. Soon there would be total darkness everywhere except on the road they were following...

"I wonder if what's his name -- Father Time -- fooded out now," said Jill. "And all those queer sleeping animals."
    "I don't think we're high as that said Eustace. "Don't you remember how we had to go downhill to reach the sunless sea? I shouldn't think the water has reached Father Time's cave yet.
    "That's as may be," said Puddleglum. "I'm more interested in the lamps on this road. Look a bit sickly, don't they?"
    "They always did," said Jill.
    "Ah," said Puddleglum. "But they're greener now."
    "You don't mean to say you think they're going out?" cried Eustage.
    'Well, however they work, you can't expect them to last forever, you know," replied the Marsh-wiggle. "But don't let your spirits down, Scrubb. I've got my eye on the water too, and I don't think it's rising as fast as it did."

Frem on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lux782 wrote: »

That would be fine too. As long as we have some option for infinite light.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, has anyone else seen this bug? I may have been running the persistent inventory system at the time. By the way, persistent inventory seems to glitch out the game and make monsters stop spawning in single-player mode. Just FYI.

bCtqS.png

Frem on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I had begun work in Vic's server on a tower that started under water and was going to rise up above the sea. It was pretty cool but unfortunately I didn't save the IP and now I can't get back in.

So if you don't mind please send the IP my way.

EDIT: Also, i was running persistor and had a ton of iron and coal which I am willing to share.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    warban wrote: »

Server up again now.

This is a good idea, but I can't figure out how to schedule turning the program off.

I don't run a server, but I imagine it's a Java program as well.

just put
    taskkill /F javaw.exe

in a .bat file and schedule it.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aiserou wrote: »
    And then he will put in a creature that drinks oil out of lamps, extinguishing them, and explodes. It will be the most terrifying thing ever.

Oh god, I shouldn't have given voice to that thought.

and it will blend in slightly with it's surroundings, so all you see is some slight movement in the distance and one by one, the lamps go out

closer

and

closer

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Notch should make a burrowing monster.

You're digging along peacefully, you see a block jiggle a bit, then debris falls from it, then a snakelike creature bursts forth!

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    man all this monster talk makes me glad i'm on peaceful

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I'm not sure what creatures I hate/fear most.

Creepers are the obvious choice, but spiders and skele-archers are both frightening in their own ways.

Spiders jump around all crazy-like as they clusterfuck you to death. I often can't even switch to my sword before I die when I'm surprised by one. There are times where even when I'm going to kill one, sword out, and I still have trouble because of their rapid and unpredictable bouncing and lunging and combination of bouncing AND lunging.

But then again it's pretty chilling to hear the whoosh of arrows flying past / into you from places unseen, especially when there are multiple sources.

Pretty much everything in this game terrifies me, but I'm so addicted to ore and exploration, and cannot WAIT for massive underground expeditions in multiplayer.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    dumbmanexdumbmanex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I'm laying off the online until it's stable.

So I was exploring the absolutely massive natural cavern that the ocean pours into, It went deep and on forever! One section was full of monsters. So instead of walking/climbing all the way back, I decided to dig right up the hell out of there. It was an awesome idea that ended badly, as I dug up into the ocean. I made it to the top with a few bubbles left, but it was iced over and the current was pulling me down fast, I couldn't stay still enough to break it. At least I got to see my glass tower in the diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiistance before choking to death.

It begins!
    Much bigger.
    Glass floor with lava underneath, hell yes!
    A look at my fort from up top.

Not pictured yet, I now have trees growing on top of the tower, and have begun building it higher again. I'm almost to the clouds!

dumbmanex on
    Shark it up! Action/Arcade = The Great White Destroyer (August sale, half off! ShaShaShaShaShark Month!)
    Snowballs in peril! Action/Puzzle = Snowball's Chance E1 (it's free now!)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    question: is the only place you can get arrows by killing skeleton archers?

also he should add rope and let you attach rope to an arrow and then you can zip line on it or shimmy up it.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    flint
    stick
    feather

in the workbench will make 4 arrows

Aiserou on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Notch should make a burrowing monster.

You're digging along peacefully, you see a block jiggle a bit, then debris falls from it, then a snakelike creature bursts forth!

Yes. Yes. That would be so terrifying, yet so memorable. I'd like it if they were a very rare mob.
    So I'm not sure what creatures I hate/fear most.

Creepers hardly make any noise, so it's easy for them to sneak up on you and explode. Despite this, I can't help but love creepers; they're the iconic monster of Minecraft.

Fuck spiders and skeletons, though. They're hard as shit to kill.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aiserou wrote: »
    flint
    stick
    feather

in the workbench will make 4 arrows

oh cool thanks

i am dumb and it WAS on the minepedia crafting page, when i searched "arrow" on minepedia it just redirected me to "bow" so i was confused

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How does one go about setting up a server for this?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    God I really wish there were tooltips or something for the stuff in your inventory. It's such a pain in the ass trying to figure out what something is by going back and forth between the wiki and the game.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    God I really wish there were tooltips or something for the stuff in your inventory. It's such a pain in the ass trying to figure out what something is by going back and forth between the wiki and the game.

Agreed.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg