As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Friday, August 13, 2010

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I think in general rape jokes are treated too lightly, but the dickwolf strip was absolutely hilarious.

I mean, how can someone actually take the phrase "raped to sleep by the dickwolves" seriously?
    Rape is Hilarious, Part 53 in an Ongoing Series
    Posted by Guest Blogger at Thursday, August 12, 2010
    by Shaker Milli A

[Trigger warning for rape used in a "humorous" capacity.]

This is why, as a feminist, I barely have a sense of humor.

I POINTED THAT OUT ON THE SECOND OR THIRD PAGE STOP COPYING ME.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I think in general rape jokes are treated too lightly, but the dickwolf strip was absolutely hilarious.

I mean, how can someone actually take the phrase "raped to sleep by the dickwolves" seriously?
    by Shaker Milli A

I POINTED THAT OUT ON THE SECOND OR THIRD PAGE STOP COPYING ME.

The funny part is that I literally copied your post but edited you and the robot out to trim down the quote tree. :P

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    Annora wrote: »
    And, as I'm assuming you're a man, I think it's hard for you to wrap your mind around the way that women have to live their lives to avoid being raped.

What?

Really?

Because I'm pretty sure the focus of my morning is not escaping from my apartment to my car in broad daylight, slinking from doorway to doorway so that Mysterious Rapist Number 119877 won't catch me and have his violent way with me.

I have a name, dammit. I'm more than a number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29JewlGsYxs

Usagi on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

by Shaker Milli A

I identify more or less as a feminist myself, so it still doesn't make sense to me.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Annora wrote: »
    And, as I'm assuming you're a man, I think it's hard for you to wrap your mind around the way that women have to live their lives to avoid being raped.

What?

Really?

Because I'm pretty sure the focus of my morning is not escaping from my apartment to my car in broad daylight, slinking from doorway to doorway so that Mysterious Rapist Number 119877 won't catch me and have his violent way with me.

I have a name, dammit. I'm more than a number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29JewlGsYxs

<3

Antimatter on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wonder if that Louis CK clip about not raping ladies is acceptable comedy.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    I dislike the blogger's post and severe lack of sense of humor, but you can't really use the all or nothing argument for Mike and Jerry. It is now well documented how Mike feels about drugs (the illegal kind) and why. They haven't ever done an overdose joke, and with good reason, but it kind of puts an end to everything is funny or nothing is. I have to imagine if one of them had as awful an experience with rape as Mike did with his brother's overdose, the aftermath of that would be a lot less joking on the subject. But maybe I'm wrong.

The difference is that Mike isn't shoving his opinion in other people's faces, and calling them fetid pieces of human shit when they make overdose jokes.

That's basically what the idiot behind this blog is doing, if not in so many words.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What surprised me most about some of the reactions to our Dickwolf joke was not that people were offended. But that this was the comic that offended them. In each case the emails I got started with something like “I’ve been a long time fan” or “Been reading the comic for years...” and then they go into how this particular comic really bothered them.

I just don’t understand that. Did the comics about bestiality, suicide, murder, pedophilia, and torture not bother them? Or how about the fruit fucker? I mean, we have a character who is a literal rapist. What comic strip have they been reading all these years?

For the most part I think that people are perfectly happy to laugh at offensive jokes until the joke offends them. Then it’s not funny anymore. There is no way we can know what each and every person who reads the comic has decided to find offensive.

In the end I just disagree with these people about what’s funny and that’s perfectly okay.

-Gabe out

Xaquin on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I wonder if that Louis CK clip about not raping ladies is acceptable comedy.

Dammit, I was on my way to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4hNaFkbZYU

NotASenator on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    here comes another year of the glorious edict

Jars on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

by Shaker Milli A

I identify more or less as a feminist myself, so it still doesn't make sense to me.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I am literally a rape culturalist fyi

bro, let's go down to the rape store tonight and buy a 12 pack of rape!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    myownsummermyownsummer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a bizarre sect of people out there who were raped during childhood and just now finding their voices? And choosing just now to use those voices to complain? Fuck. That.

myownsummer on
    rosievp6.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I am literally a rape culturalist fyi

bro, let's go down to the rape store tonight and buy a 12 pack of rape!

I wish you a plentiful bounty in your rape harvest.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    If they really wanted to offend people, they would have gone the animal cruelty route.

People could watch a movie about genocide and not flinch, but the second they see a dog get kicked or something, that's when people get angry

god, that's so true and is one of my pet peeves about food and the relationship Americans have with it
    an audience will have no problem watching a cook handle a piece of chicken, pork, beef, a whole crab
    as long as it's already dead, they ain't give a shit
    but heaven forbid that cook kill a live shrimp or live crab in front of them
    I can guarantee you a significant portion of the crowd would be fucking shocked and even outraged that they had to watch a fucking crab get killed

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really cannot believe people were offended by such a small joke. It wasn't even the main attraction of that particular strip, and I barely gave it a second thought when I read it. Maybe they forgot they are on the internet, where if you are offended by rape jokes, you probably should leave.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a bizarre sect of people out there who were raped during childhood and just now finding their voices? And choosing just now to use those voices to complain? Fuck. That.

Really?

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it is true, i don't like to see things killed in front of me

i will watch violent movies but will walk out if a dog gets killed

i am so ashamed of my speciesism

Quoth on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If they really wanted to offend people, they would have gone the animal cruelty route.

People could watch a movie about genocide and not flinch, but the second they see a dog get kicked or something, that's when people get angry

god, that's so true and is one of my pet peeves about food and the relationship Americans have with it
    an audience will have no problem watching a cook handle a piece of chicken, pork, beef, a whole crab
    I can guarantee you a significant portion of the crowd would be fucking shocked and even outraged that they had to watch a fucking crab get killed

I'm standing right here

@ Quoth: the constant use of "retarded" kind of gets to me too, but then again gamers using "rape" to mean beaten has always been a pet peeve of mine

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

A crab?

Shit man, it's a fucking (tasty) abomination, I'd watch a show about crab genocide...

oh wait. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Catch

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Isn't shakespearessister the same crazy lady who said that Joss Whedon, and all men in heterosexual relationships were all rapists?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, if you get raped by a dickwolf, just bring him to court and use all that Law & Order money to dry your tears.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Isn't shakespearessister the same crazy lady who said that Joss Whedon, and all men in heterosexual relationships were all rapists?

I'm pretty sure that's the fundamental tenet of feminism

LTM on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    and all men in heterosexual relationships were all rapists?

That is impossible, I have to much faith in humanity to believe anyone can think that.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    LTM wrote: »

no that's the fundamental tenet of crazy people who are crazy

Quoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Quoth wrote: »
    LTM wrote: »

no that's the fundamental tenet of crazy people who are crazy

You say tomato. I say tomahto.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait, no, shakespearessister was that really bitter Hillary supporter during the 08 election.

Why the fuck do I know so much about femnist bloggers?

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Ugh, that kind of attitude with crustaceans bugs me the most, since most of those people wouldn't hesitate to squash a spider if they saw one.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I would personally kill every crab on the planet.

Not with my had though eww.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arthropods are pretty gross though. Why anyone would want to watch a chief prepare a giant roach is beyond me.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Aren't lobster generally best cooked alive.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1. If you are a DIRTY FILTHY DISGUSTING man, you are a rapist.

jwalk on
  • Options
    krazykarl1982krazykarl1982 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also, if you get raped by a dickwolf, just bring him to court and use all that Law & Order money to dry your tears.

oh man :lol:

krazykarl1982 on
    sig.php?tag=krazykarlito
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Uriel wrote: »

the reason they're kept alive is to keep them super fresh
    cooking them while still alive doesn't magically make them taste better

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    People are annoying.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

:?: It's just the way my dad did it.

They scream.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

They scream.

I thought that was just steam escaping.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

They scream.

It's actually just the steam escaping from their shells as their bodies cook from inside, making a high-pitched whistle.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Who cares, it's metal as shit.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yeah, lobster can't actually scream
    ain't got vocal chords