As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think we should stick with the boy king. Phyphor can just PM his email to me and also whether he wants to be an orphan King or a momma's boy.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So if Louis is healthy, Phyphor's got this Kingdom for 40-60 years. Good luck!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, that's even younger than Alexander was when he took the throne. But don't worry, Phyphor. Alexander is proof that you can keep the realm intact even if your intrigue stat never gets higher than 1 for 40+ years.

Do it! Make your psychopathic great-great-great-grandfather proud!

crazyeyezAlex.jpg

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Did he really shalmelo? That's a hell of an accomplishment.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bah he clearly has 3 in the succession shot. :P

Anyway, does anyone know how to change the resolution? I've noticed different resolutions here and the default one is shitty

Hahaha. "You currently have 18 provinces in your demense, and your ruler can only control 3 directly."

Phyphor on
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alas, poor Hamelin, to be cut down so early, after inheriting so much.

Snipers be the woe of proud Kings.

Anjou must pay.

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Give the fourth guy in line (the adult) a Duchy?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Great Giveaway already happened unfortunately, though I'll see what I can manage (we've got tons of spare titles laying around after all). I let Anjou keep his titles, for now to keep badboy down

Phyphor on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ouch. Poor Hamelin.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    A boy matures, a realm is threatened (December 1290 - June 1296)
    Daddy never came back from his battle. When we got home and told mommy the news she said she was going to go join him. I hope they come back soon.
    Went with the orphan save since that's what the last screenshot showed

My advisors told me I had to share my land because I had too much, so I gave some out to my friends!

Uncle Gauthier got Charolias and crazy old great-great-uncle* Godfrey got to be a Duke!
    This was not a very good choice

The relation is:
    William
    | |
    Bjørn Godfrey
    |
    Thomas
    |
    Hamelin
    |
    Louis

He's a crazed depressed vengeful old bastard but I think he's the highest living person in the family tree right now.
    Seriously, those are his traits

ScreenSave7.png

They showed me a map of our lands. I liked all the castles, so I asked them to build me some more.

Before:
    ScreenSave5.png

After (plus Rome & Alexandria):
    ScreenSave8.png

The Duke says he doesn't want to be my friend :(

Marshal Louis says he can make him be my friend so I told him to go ahead.

ScreenSave9.png

And he did! Marshal Louis is the best.

ScreenSave10.png

Someone committed suicide today. I didn't know him, but I would probably be depressed too if I was blind.

ScreenSave11.png

Some of our subjects attacked someone else today. He said the pope told him to do it. Well, if the pope says it's okay, then I suppose we can help him out.

ScreenSave13.png

Some of my vassals think I'm a good and just ruler!

ScreenSave14.png

The Count of Holland doesn't want to fight anymore.

ScreenSave15.png

My chancellor wanted to leave today, but I really like her so I told her she could have lots of gold if she stayed.
    Seriously, she's the only reason the realm is holding together, 22 diplomacy is insane

ScreenSave16.png

My aunt left today for another court.
    She was the spymaster. Pissed that I refused to let her get married off probably

ScreenSave19.png

I found another person to be my spymaster though and I'll go visit her when I can.

ScreenSave20.png

I've noticed people are talking about me a lot. I can sneak around the castle and hear people saying how my father dying so early might make me a bad king! I'll have to keep an eye on them.

ScreenSave21.png

My realm is prosperous and the people seem happy.

ScreenSave22.png

I was asked if I wanted to send my sister, Mascarose, off to a monastery. But I don't have many other children to play with here so I didn't make her go.

ScreenSave23.png

Then they asked me where I wanted to go, but I love it here in my big castle.

ScreenSave24.png

I just find the caption on this one funny. "Oh dear, this child is becoming a great statesman. Whatever shall we do?"

ScreenSave25.png

The people needed some help today, I gladly helped them out. The bishop guy at my court said I pleased God by doing it.

ScreenSave27.png

Lots of people wants to become my vassals!

ScreenSave18.png
    ScreenSave29.png
    ScreenSave30.png
    ScreenSave32.png
    ScreenSave33.png

The tax people asked me if I wanted to collect extra taxes, but we have enough money so I told them we were fine.

ScreenSave31.png

One of my vassals attacked the Templars! I'm not sure why they did but I decided to help them out

ScreenSave35.png
    The plan was to make the other adult inheritor the grandmaster, but apparently you can't claim that, so going for King of Jerusalem instead, he's unlikely to inherit along this line. Additionally, these provinces provide a good strategic launch position for recapturing the holy lands.

The middle east is roughly split between two kingdoms, unfortunately the king's territories are literally scattered around the world. The one we care about, the one in Baghdad, has territories in SE France, Italy and several in Iberia

ScreenSave40.png
    ScreenSave41.png

My spy master died, but I found a new one!

ScreenSave37.png

I also make someone else a Duke today.

ScreenSave38.png

Marshal Louis left, he didn't like being teased about his father.

ScreenSave39.png

Godfrey's son declared independance today! This isn't good, people are whispering about civil war. (Not shown: 2 counts also break loose in the next few months, one peacefully, another declares war).
    Well, this brings crusading plans to a screeching halt for a while

ScreenSave42.png

I made a new friend today (a cousin)

ScreenSave43.png

The people of Ascalon are revolting, I'm not sure why, but I let them have what they wanted. The nobles don't seem to approve but the people are happy.

ScreenSave46.png

Nobody else seems to want to revolt anymore.
    That was the most uneventful realm duress ever. Only 2 wars and 3 declarations of independence

ScreenSave47.png
    And back to normal.

ScreenSave48.png

With a newly rebellious vassal. Unforetunately, I dumped badboy by revoking my claims on him in the peace deal, so I can't just storm in and replace him. I could revoke his duchy though.

ScreenSave49.png

TL; DR
    Realm duress, but didn't even last 2 years and quite uneventful. Several new vassals acquired, one seceded peacefully. Lands in the holy land increased. Every territory we own directly has maximum constructions.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nice job holding everything together :)

Reboot on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yay stability. I increasingly get the feeling I'm going to make some duchies independent (the Spanish/southern ones) and others our vassals at the start of EU3.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well we could do the split in game if we can claim the french throne as well. If a sentimental king splits the thrones between three children (and it actually sticks this time) we wouldn't be crazy overpowered.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    Well we could do the split in game if we can claim the french throne as well. If a sentimental king splits the thrones between three children (and it actually sticks this time) we wouldn't be crazy overpowered.

Also an excellent option. This was coincidentally why I liked the attempt to give the Aragonese throne away.

I may just do this regardless of whether we technically have the throne. Coincidentally, Charlemagne himself did this, so it'd even be fitting thematically.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's difficult to make recommendations when the history hasn't played out yet, but I would recommend:

Making Brittany (with Anjou) an independent Duchy or Kingdom.
    They remained constantly at odds with French rule, even when they were nominally vassals of the French monarch. Even Charlemagne had difficulty subduing them with any lasting effect. During our game's timeframe we've conveniently sidestepped Brittany's involvement in the French succession crises that historically plagued the French monarchy (seeing as France is in Russia and England is Bohemian). Widespread rebellions still occured into the 18th century as France continually tried to press the region into more structured, centralized French rule. Until 19th and 20th century efforts by the French government to homogenize, Brittany had a distinct Celtic culture (Breton - hence the region's alternate name "little Britain").

As successors to the Carolingian empire we might as well have them independent since they weren't definitively under the control of the Frankish kings. I'd recommend throwing Anjou in there since vassals we put in that region tend to be incredibly rebellious. In game we've historically had exceptional relations with the actual region of Brittany so you may want to make us allied or with +200 relations regardless of the Bishops and Counts of Anjou's past transgressions.

Making any holdings south of the Pyrenees into an independent Kingdom of Aragon.
    The Catalan lords in Catalonia (on the coast) did not recognize Hugh Capet's rise to the French throne, and effectively ended Frankish/French rule in the region. The kingdom of Aragon developed from Charlemagne-esque territorial grants and in-fighting in the Kingdom of Navarre (when it was bigger, before 1066). There were a bunch of rulers of tiny domains among the Christians and the Moors, who tended to make power grabs (regardless of religion).

Anything south of and including Rosello to Navarre (except Navarre; if it's viable for independence it should be its own kingdom (potentially including the Basque lands adjacent in Northern Spain). You could potentially go farther north, but you'll run into French and English cultures.

I don't know what's up with the Duchy of Pest, but that dude needs to stop mooching off Carolingian prestige.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, Anjou is a prime candidate for independence.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I still think that the original plan of Northern France and maybe some lowlands would be a great starting state for EUIII. Dump Brittany and any overseas holdings to make it happen. Splitting crowns sounds like a great way to do this.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's like you guys are reading my mind.

One possibility would be to split burgundy off from france just before the jump, and take the minor line in EU3

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Actually, here's the plan. REAL SPOILERS
    If you don't want to have a general outline of most of what I plan to do in the next up to 40 years, don't click this.
    The planned wars in the holy land serve multiple purposes. Jerusalem is (besides the target of the current crusade) held by a muslim duke who has about 6 provinces in what is essentially most of EU3 Aragon. His king also has another 3 or so, in Aragon/Castille.

The left side of the screen here and a little further west actually
    ScreenSave38.png

He's a vassal of the king in Baghdad. So, by going to war I can hopefully take: most of Aragon, most of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, Jerusalem itself to shut the pope up and (maybe) Baghdad itself. I might also be able to splinter his kingdom even more, allowing the other muslim king to pick up some pieces since he has claims everywhere. He would basically become the Ottomans (I think, I haven't really looked at Byzantium).

Plan is for Aragon & Jerusalem to get parceled out, with real territories (like 10+ provinces each). I might also do Navarre if the title isn't too expensive to claim.

I'll try to get title to King of France if I can, although I don't know where it is at the moment, we certainly have enough terriroty to usurp it if someone holds it. We have a claim on King of England and while Poland-England is a monster (and our force sizes are equal), I might be able to blitz his split territories and force a quick surrender of the title. We also have (or probably will end up with) a good chunk of what is needed to form the Kingdom of Egypt, which might also get parceled out.

I'm not sure where I can put the King of England though, storming England proper would be a nightmare. Brittany/Anjou might make a good Kingdom though, giving all further English lands to Brittany before the Kingdom and letting Anjou revolt. We can also cede the western coast to them if we have to.

Given that prestige for claims will probably be my limiter in the christian lands, I may just do the Reconquista and also form Portugal and Castille.

The overall goal is to parcel out at least 3 significant kingdoms, all to blood-related males in the succession line, as long as I don't run out of them. Oh and also maintain the kingdom :P

The only problem is I don't know how to place a count directly under us under another duke, so it may be patchwork at best in some places. I'll try to form the kingdoms by picking someone and then dumping like 10 count titles and 2-3 dukes followed by the king. I think he'll then do partitioning himself among his own court.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So apparently if Anjou hadn't rebelled before Hamlein's natural charm had improved everyone's loyalty, his planned crusade would have led to some kind of endless war with Zenata.

They have been pushed out of Spain for the most part but I've got a ton of random war declarations by random central asian sheidom's combined with random peace proposals from the same. And when I made peace with Zenata itself, they declared war again, immediately.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Woo endless war!

Just crush them completely, they can't re-declare war when they have no titles left!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well it didn't quite take that, I just took their last Spanish province off them then marched on Bagdad and that was that.

Now if at some point I would stop losing piety for not crusading for Jerusalem despite the fact I own Jerusalem, that would be nice. Still I made a fortune from some nobles donating to the cause so I guess it's not all bad.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If you want to find the King of France, do the following:

\ (this brings up the search function)
    kingdom of france

Should bring you right to it, assuming it still exists.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There's a search function? I was wondering if there was one

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah I found the King of France. Sneaky bastard, has lots of territories right next to ours. Primary holdings are in Lithuania!

Also, fun fact: there are only 12 independent christian kingdoms currently.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lithuanian France? Really? I assume you can usurp that title at this point.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you want to find the King of France, do the following:

\ (this brings up the search function)
    kingdom of france

Should bring you right to it, assuming it still exists.

Wow, thanks for this. A search function, assuming it shows the capitol, will save me so much time looking for the crest of kingdoms so I can do diplomacy.

NebulousQ on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yup, this is the craziest map ever. He's just east of Memel actually, to give you a location. I can usurp the title easily, the only annoying part would be actually getting enough troops over there to siege him out. He has holdings in Lithuania, Egypt, Spain, England and Italy.

edit: Yeah the search works and it shows the capital, but you must search the full name so "kingdom of ..." "bishopric of ..." etc and if you're looking for a titleholder you're out of luck. You can't find the "Kingdom of England" for example in this game, because that title is held by Poland right now.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You can also just search for a particular county. Like if you wanted to know who was currently holding Alexandria you can just hit \ and type Alexandria.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Somehow I just made a massive profit off of a war

Phyphor on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Somehow I just made a massive profit off of a war

A war that doesn't horribly bankrupt your country? Ludicrous!

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In my march for lands in Aragon I was able to keep the regiment from Ile de France and some local Spanish regiments financed while still making a profit every month. Then when you capture some of the enemy's counties you can demand their territory and all their cash for daring not to surrender at the might of your armies.

...apparently owning Ile de France, Rome and Alexandria is a bit over powered. Sicily's lucky they captured Venice from Zenata, because I was willing to take that too to finance my sons' kingdoms.

(but I was hoping the pope would take Rome off my hands at some point; there's an event for it, but it seems like it only fires if he doesn't have any land)

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Obviously we need Byzantium. Crusade against the Orthodox heretics!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Obviously. Charlemange did want to re-establish the Empire after all...

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Meanwhile in an alternate universe...

This is Louis shortly after ascending to the throne of Burgundy his father having died of wounds suffered fighting agaist a heathen military genius
    ScreenSave9.jpg

And these are the Spanish holdings he would have inherited. We also gained the area around Nice and of course Jerusalem.
    ScreenSave10.jpg

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My spain looks similar, although the Muslims still have a significant presence. And diplomacy is my weakest stat so far

Phyphor on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In my game Spain is all Papal State. I guess they're like the mongols in that they don't use vassals.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This game can really piss me off some times. In my Flanders game, I went off to war in Spain and N. Africa just to speed up my 24 Intrigue son's chances of inheriting. I manage to get wounded, sick and come down with pneumonia then die, only to find out that my son is dead and his newborn, age 0, baby has inherited everything.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Suicide never pays :winky:

starkiller on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wherein we gain stability and gold while at war and other unusual things (August 1296 - August 1300)

Godfrey's son, Humbert finished his education today. He was immediately installed as marshal.

ScreenSave3.png

I discovered Father's plans for a crusade in the castle today. I brought them to Humbert. The plans were updated slightly and the crusade was launched.

The Emirate of Almedia owns Jerusalem and is the primary target. The Emirate of Toledo also declared war.

ScreenSave7.png

This is his leige and a secondary target

ScreenSave1.png

One of my bishops was secretly plotting against me. I had him removed and banished from the realm. His title was given to a more loyal subject.

ScreenSave4.png
    ScreenSave6.png

Someone was impressed by our accomplishments and offered to become our vassal. Gladly accepted

ScreenSave5.png

The war goes well, the first battle ends in victory.

ScreenSave8.png

The King of Italy offers an alliance. Accepted, together we will be undefeatable.

ScreenSave9.png

My bishop died today. After the funeral, a new bishop was invested

ScreenSave10.png
    ScreenSave11.png

The muslims don't seem to want to fight us anymore.

ScreenSave13.png
    Random vassals of Zenata would declare war and then offer peace and cash a couple months later. Went from 5300 to 8400 gold during this war. Monthly income was around -200.

ScreenSave14.png
    ScreenSave18.png
    ScreenSave22.png

The pope died today, a day of mourning for all of Christendom. In honour of his memory, the heathens were forced to give up much valuable land today, including Jerusalem.

ScreenSave15.png

Natually, the muslims have no sense of honour and immediately re-declared war.

ScreenSave16.png

My spymaster left for another court today, catching me by surprise. Another was found, but he was not nearly as skilled. In more welcome news, another major victory against the heathens was accomplished today.

ScreenSave17.png

Even more heathens declare war.

ScreenSave19.png

We installed some more Christians in the holy lands.

ScreenSave24.png

We forced the Emir of Toledo to become our vassal. While there is some disappointment that we were unable to completely take his lands, forcing vassalage will lead to the quickest end to this war.
    Badboy is a problem, up to -5% per month

ScreenSave26.png

Peace, war and an amusing prestige value.

ScreenSave28.png

The crusade is officially over, peace reigns. We have claimed the glorious city of Baghdad.

ScreenSave29.png

This is our king, currently. A little weak diplomatically, but otherwise fine. No new traits yet.

ScreenSave0.png

The Order of Solomon offered their services, but we turned them away.

ScreenSave1.png

With the crusade against the heathens finished, the time has come to enforce our European claims. The King of Poland has no right to claim England, we will take what is ours.

ScreenSave3.png
    ScreenSave5.png
    How the mighty have fallen. Down to 1/3 the forces in 7 years.
    ScreenSave28.png

We have a larger force than any remaining individual kingdom, Christian or Muslim.

The Polish vassals are quite eager for war

ScreenSave6.png
    ScreenSave7.png
    ScreenSave8.png
    ScreenSave9.png
    ScreenSave11.png

Italy attacked an independent duchy, we support them in this fight.

ScreenSave10.png

We again helped the poor of our realm out

ScreenSave12.png

We arranged for one of our cousins to marry a courtier in Sicily and rejected any tax increases. The people rejoice and our lands seem even more prosperous (got the stab bonus)

ScreenSave14.png

My sister is doing quite well

ScreenSave16.png

The first of the English dukes surrenders. We took his title but let him keep his lands.

ScreenSave18.png

Some more Polish vassals swear alligance to us today

ScreenSave20.png

Unusually for a man of the cloth, our bishop proved to be an able commander.

ScreenSave21.png

One of our vassals was stripped of his lands today. This will cause a minor setback to our plans

ScreenSave22.png

Continuing our conquest of England, we reclaim Oxford.

ScreenSave26.png

Our next taget is the Duke of Cornwall

ScreenSave28.png

A major battle is occurring the the Polish lands, we will emerge victorious.

ScreenSave30.png

The Duke of Cornwall was issued an ultimatum, he accepts quickly.

ScreenSave31.png
    ScreenSave32.png

Holland is next to declare war. They will quickly fall

ScreenSave35.png
    ScreenSave41.png

One of our regiments returned home today, but it doesn't matter, we let them go.

ScreenSave36.png

Bavaria was vassalized (along with Austria and Lesser Poland)

ScreenSave39.png

We forced the Polish king to submit to us

ScreenSave42.png

And we are crowned King of England.
    HOLY SHIT THATS A LOT OF PRESTIGE. Claims on every single king title in the game? Why not!

ScreenSave43.png

Miscellaneous stuff:
    Charlemagne is actually in the history! And they gave him stats!
    ScreenSave2.png

And here's the Papal State
    ScreenSave17.png

Phyphor on