As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's Civilization V: one...more...post...

• Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Been playing all day no computer issues at all and mines a pretty old comp. India is pretty kickass as i've actually managed to fucking complete a goddamn wonder before the computer. Germany is complete shit though--its currently bugged so if you dont get the 50% roll you get jack shit for barb camps and later on in the game you get no units at all.

They really need to change the powers because 2 UU units dont make up for getting ass raped in the beginning.

GHANDI THE CONQUER

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arg...how do I keep my auto-exploring units from trespassing in city-state's territories?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also...how do I move a settler and a military unit together? Is that possible?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Er.

Where did the sun go?

. . . Woops.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Haven't figured that one out yet. [directed at Heir, but hey, it works for Basil too]

Glancing over the thread in-between bouts of gameplay (10 hours! Holy shit!), there were some people using the nvidia 8800 and complaining about it running slowly. To these people (and, really, to everyone) I say: use the tactical overlay. Gives off this wonderful board-game vibe. I think I've spent the majority of those 10 hours using it.

Tamin on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It works, yay! Now if only I had money! Time to wait three months!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God the demo cut off point is one of the biggest blue ball moments ever. I had tons of plans in queue and was just about to smear Bismark off the planet when the DEMO OVER pop up started. Now to wait for it to go down in price or on sale somewhere!

Darlan on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New thread already? Wow.

Anyway, it just finished downloading that Day 1 patch for me about 20 minutes ago, and I just got done trying out early game and-

Hey, it's pretty dark out, is there a storm comming? I think I saw something about that on the Weather Channel.

anywho, I think I kinda enjoy the one-tile-at-a-time way the border expands, makes Settler city finding phase seem a bit longer, and the massive area a city can gather resourses from (3 tiles from the city!) means overlap doesn't hurt as mu-

...Wait, what time is it? It's still around 10am right??

Right?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This game is really great. I like it a lot more then Civ IV. :)

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, the hex map mode is pretty snazzy.

Now, I've gotta admit something. I liked civ 3 more than civ 4. I just didn't dig all the new bells and whistles so much. I felt like they got in the way of an already increasingly clunky system.

This offering just took everything that irritated me and out back, shot it, and rolled it into a ditch nice and quiet like.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why the fuck didn't I just preorder? I played the demo as though you know I had an actual chance of saying no to this. It's beautiful and wonderful and Civilization oh man I'm 13 again!

Oh well, not like I care about Bablyonians anyway. They should have gone with a Civ someone would have felt emotionally connected to.

Though I have to admit, I'm kind of waiting to see what modders do to it. The diplomacy still seems to need some love before it's really interesting.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's taken awhile to get used to, but I do like how this is a lot more than Civ 4. Not really sure about tech races though, i'm at turn 285 and 1860somethin and I'm not even in Industrial.

Game crashes every so often though which is annoying >_>.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The first few times you play any new iteration of civ teching is slow. From my limited demo experience: Research agreements? I imagine if you time them right you could pull off some crazy slingshots.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    Yeah, the hex map mode is pretty snazzy.

Now, I've gotta admit something. I liked civ 3 more than civ 4. I just didn't dig all the new bells and whistles so much. I felt like they got in the way of an already increasingly clunky system.

This offering just took everything that irritated me and out back, shot it, and rolled it into a ditch nice and quiet like.

Civ 4 streamlined Civ 3 a ton

You crazy bro

tofu on
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah civ agreements fucking rock--i was catherine and i had ghandi and darius right next door and all they did was fight an epic fight against the raging barbarians and create research agreements with me so i received double bonus. Its really annoying you cant access the civlopedia when your choosing your civ but its easy to research it up once your inside.

India/russia/arabia/france are really badass esp with the special social powers.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Playing as Babylon. Loving the longbow unit.

Is there a way to heal units besides spending a promotion?

Edit: Of course I see the button right after I ask this.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    Yeah civ agreements fucking rock--i was catherine and i had ghandi and darius right next door and all they did was fight an epic fight against the raging barbarians and create research agreements with me so i received double bonus. Its really annoying you cant access the civlopedia when your choosing your civ but its easy to research it up once your inside.

India/russia/arabia/france are really badass esp with the special social powers.

Sounds like commie talk to me. "Social powers" aka communism.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tried the demo and really love how they changed things around.

Of course, I had to delete the demo ASAP. The whole reason I'm not buying the game right now is that I don't have the free time at the moment and even the demo is crazy addicting.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Well?

How is it?

Sheep on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Woo, our first game is going well! I got all the foxes:
    (click to enlarge)
    th_Civ5foxes.png

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Really good.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Well?

How is it?

My eyes hurt.

Fats on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I enjoy the demo, but I barely get going at 100 turns. I had just achieved Renaissance on Chieftain.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I enjoy the demo, but I barely get going at 100 turns. I had just achieved Renaissance on Chieftain.

The beginning game feels slower than Civ4, though that might just be because I haven't adjusted for the changes yet.

Fats on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I can't get the demo to work. Is the game crashing at startup for anyone else? I've tried a few things like updating my video drivers and disabling the intro movie, but it still crashes immediately. I'm glad I resisted the impulse to buy the game before trying it.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I had three cities and could have built a few more if I wasn't doing other things.

I can tell I'm going to be even worse at defending in this game now. I want to build pretty buildings! Screw units.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just replaced the menu music with Baba Yetu

soooooo much better

tofu on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    w00t. Just won my first game..

Randomly chose England, but I'm glad I got them. Naval superiority plus early game Longbows = RAPETASTIC. I dominated all those stupidhead computers rather easily.

Now to try it on something harder than level 2 difficulty. =\

I think that any other game win besides militaristic would be difficult to achieve. Am I right?

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »
    New thread already? Wow.

Anyway, it just finished downloading that Day 1 patch for me about 20 minutes ago, and I just got done trying out early game and-

Hey, it's pretty dark out, is there a storm comming? I think I saw something about that on the Weather Channel.

anywho, I think I kinda enjoy the one-tile-at-a-time way the border expands, makes Settler city finding phase seem a bit longer, and the massive area a city can gather resourses from (3 tiles from the city!) means overlap doesn't hurt as mu-

...Wait, what time is it? It's still around 10am right??

Right?

Its funny because when you posted this, its 9:59am where I am.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Uh oh. Why did they have to make it SO EASY to buy stuff on steam? Bastards. Well, never played civ before but considering I've always loved strategy games but have been much better and comfortable with turn based ones, this should be awesome.

Also, yay for Steam downloading so fast.

Athaedos on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, so we had one going earlier and someone decided to put their city like two squares away from mine. Bad form, sir! War was declared! Then he had to leave and it was nowhere near as satisfying.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So... how does late-game performance. Does it start to crawl like civ 4 did on lower-end systems. The demo ran very smooth for me, but wondering if I'll have trouble late-game...?

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    huh wha

what just happened

last time i checked it was five pm now its one am what the fuck

If you weren't startled by the dawn's rays coming through your window you got off lightly.

You know you're in trouble if you hear birds.

Hey, maybe that's the source of my irrational hatred for birds. They are the heralds of a long and unproductive day.

zilo on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Well?

How is it?

My eyes hurt.

Honest to god Sheep, you ask the dumbest questions.

Come Civ with the cool kids.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man, so I'm playing as the Songhai and decided to go to war with the Ottomans because they had something like double the Iron I had and were blocking my expansion south. I was a kingdom of about five cities, pretty big overall but far from the largest empire out there. After about ten turns of being an asshole to Suleiman, trying to provoke him into attacking, I decided that I really couldn't wait any longer. I have this, uhh, issue with wanting more reinforcementsbefore attacking. Anyway, so I launch my invasion with a force of about three Horsemen, two Swordsmen, three Spearmen, and three Crossbowmen.

I take Ankara, the nearest city to me. I then seize the Ottoman capitol, Istanbul. Finally I take a third city whose name I cannot recall and my attack force is starting to dwindle in strength. Then suddenly the Ottomans come groveling to me. They offered me their entire gold production for 20 turns, everything currently in their treasury, their only luxury resource, and six cities all in exchange for peace. My empire doubled with minimal effort. That was a very refreshing change.
    Admittedly, this is on Chieftain. Still not behavior I've seen out of Civ AI before, though.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stay back Napoleon, I want no cut of your jib
    noneshallpass.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is a very subtle way to keep people out.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I must admit, I am intimidated by this. I'm installing now, and it just...it just looks so very different from Civ4 that it's causing me to become a crotchety, change-fearing old man before I even play it. I will say this: If this manages to be half as good as Civ4, I'll have gotten my money's worth.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Triple B wrote: »
    I must admit, I am intimidated by this. I'm installing now, and it just...it just looks so very different from Civ4 that it's causing me to become a crotchety, change-fearing old man before I even play it. I will say this: If this manages to be half as good as Civ4, I'll have gotten my money's worth.

After just playing the demo for an hour, I don't think I can go back to Civ 4 and I loved Civ 4.

I mean, the game practically has TWO tech trees (the actual tech tree and the culture bonuses)! How can you not love that?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    haha the taskbar is full of gold right there

brogrammers

The_Scarab on
This discussion has been closed.