Options

Dwarf Fortress: Is that a legendary sock?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well it turns out I was held accountable for the trade caravans getting killed by goblin ambushes, I was sieged by humans and elves and presumably the dwarfs would have shown up eventually as well. So I decided to abandon the fortress since that was kind of lame.

Anyway, here's a quick look at what I had shortly before I stopped:
    surface.jpg
    undersurface.jpg
    entrancel.jpg
    1stc.jpg
    2ndmk.jpg
    3rdg.jpg
    cavern.jpg

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Yeah the carpenter is pretty quick with the walls without help. My fisherman almost lost his life to some angry carp.

The one thing that sucks is you cAn't engrave constructed walls. I suppose I'll have to build a tomb to inscribe our history into.

you could always find lava and cast obsidian walls.

This is the dwarfiest way to do it, although it takes more than double the work just to build the mold for the walls, once it's finished...

Hey wait instead of obsidian, why not just leave the mold filled with magma? On the battlements have switches every 5 or so squares that open a floodgate underneath them so your walls can shoot magma out at any point you need them to?

override367 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I decided to start my new fortress above ground too. Honestly, it seems far quicker to get set up on the surface, plus you already have a safe outside area for trees and farming when enemies start showing up.

Holy shit in the deforestation department though. It takes about 350 trees just to make the floor of my dining hall.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i wish you could build walls out of dirt, that would eventually grass over and become like natural terrain

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    VerdianVerdian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My favorite challenge start is to pick an ocean area and try to live above ground. I ended up building a small castle at first, and living in it until I had my walls up. Then a little town gets built around it. I haven't done that in a while, though... Right now am building a grand fortress outside of a volcano. Lots of obsidian, too. Fooling around with multi-level great rooms.

Question: Are weapons fixed yet, or are axes still the strongest and warhammers incapable of killing anything?

Verdian on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i had this terrible idea of collapsing a whole area of above ground land down like 20-30 levels, surrounding the hole with a massive wall several Z levels high, and building a spiral ramp that decends from the surface all the way to the work site, where I would build a human style town.

the spiral ramp would be littered with cage traps, and surrounded by outcroppings holding archers and balistae.

Maybe even doing it on a river so I can have a massive waterfall

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i had this terrible idea of collapsing a whole area of above ground land down like 20-30 levels, surrounding the hole with a massive wall several Z levels high, and building a spiral ramp that decends from the surface all the way to the work site, where I would build a human style town.

the spiral ramp would be littered with cage traps, and surrounded by outcroppings holding archers and balistae.

I tried to do this but even with ini editing it still took too long for my dwarves to mine out the entire level

override367 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I tried to do this but even with ini editing it still took too long for my dwarves to mine out the entire level

technically they'd have to mine out every level i wanted to drop, with columns hooked to levers on each floor to hold everything up

Which is a whole lot of mining.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Verdian wrote: »
    My favorite challenge start is to pick an ocean area and try to live above ground. I ended up building a small castle at first, and living in it until I had my walls up. Then a little town gets built around it. I haven't done that in a while, though... Right now am building a grand fortress outside of a volcano. Lots of obsidian, too. Fooling around with multi-level great rooms.

Question: Are weapons fixed yet, or are axes still the strongest and warhammers incapable of killing anything?

Eh? My understanding is currently war hammers are the best weapons, since they don't need to penetrate armour to deal damage. That may change for megabeasts or something though.

Regardless, war hammers definitely kill stuff because all of my military uses them.

If you pulled that off buttcleft you would be rewarded with the waterfall dropping your FPS to nothing.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Garthor wrote: »
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Yeah the carpenter is pretty quick with the walls without help. My fisherman almost lost his life to some angry carp.

The one thing that sucks is you cAn't engrave constructed walls. I suppose I'll have to build a tomb to inscribe our history into.
    Engravings.jpg
    horrors.jpg

I was gonna add beards, but ehh, too much effort for a half-assed tag-along joke.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    As dwarf therapist doesn't work with this version of DF, are there any similar programs to help manage my dwarves that DO work?

Verdian on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's probably a file to update Dwarf Therapist if you look on the Bay12 forums.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I couldn't find one, and when I asked there, I was told the program was broken. Has a workaround been found?

Verdian on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    Verdian wrote: »

Eh? My understanding is currently war hammers are the best weapons, since they don't need to penetrate armour to deal damage. That may change for megabeasts or something though.

Regardless, war hammers definitely kill stuff because all of my military uses them.

If you pulled that off buttcleft you would be rewarded with the waterfall dropping your FPS to nothing.

War hammers are best against armored opponents (i.e, goblins) as they can deal damage even through armor. Axes and swords are all-rounders, and spears have a much better chance of penetrating into a vital organ, so best reserved for megabeasts or other big bastards. That's my understanding at least.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just discovered Stone Sense for the first time. Its so incredible. If only you could play the game in that view.

vhzod on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    made a farm plot in silty clay, i thought clay counted as soil? it won't let me plant plump helmets there. also i can only select one season at a time to activate? i don't know whats going with farming in this version, but i miss my exponentially increasing amount of plump helmets that i simply couldn't get rid of in like .28

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm sticking with the previous version for now.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Plump helmets will grow in any season on a farm plot that has been built on muddied soil and is classified as indoors/underground.

You choose what is planted on that plot each season with a, b, c and d. So hit a, select helmets, hit b, select helmets, hit c, select helmets etc. It will only display one season at a time but as long as you have chosen something for a season it will be planted.

I've just realised the trap I was building will require something in the region of 500 trees. I guess I don't do things by halves.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Plump helmets will grow in any season on a farm plot that has been built on muddied soil and is classified as indoors/underground.

You choose what is planted on that plot each season with a, b, c and d. So hit a, select helmets, hit b, select helmets, hit c, select helmets etc. It will only display one season at a time but as long as you have chosen something for a season it will be planted.

I've just realised the trap I was building will require something in the region of 500 trees. I guess I don't do things by halves.

so i have to muddy soil now?

man, the old game was simpler

i miss my loam

loam is awesome

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You always had to irrigate it first, even in the 2d version.

If you try to build a plot is should say 'no muddy soil' or something. Muddying is really easy by the way. The simplest way is to dig a farm room under/next to a murky pool and simply dig through so it drains out into the room. They never contain much water so there's no risk of fatal flooding, it will just spread through your fortress and evaporate.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For a long time after it went 3D, any soil type (i.e. not sand and not stone) such as loam could be farmed in without irrigation.

The DF wiki says it's a bug that was introduced in .12 (late July).
    Underground farm plots must be placed on either soil or mud, however, a bug is currently causing farming to only work on mudv0.31.12. Muddying the ground means to temporarily cover it with water (common methods include a bucket brigade or controlled flooding by temporarily diverting a river or pool, using a floodgate or door), or find a muddied area in a cavern) (each tile underneath the farm plot must be muddied). Most caverns have entire open areas which will be permanently covered in mud, though beware the underground inhabitants when farming. Any underground surface can be used to create a farm plot, provided you muddy it first.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeah but no one seems to care until there's shiny pictures and twinkling lights! Oooh, purty~

Damn shame DF doesn't seem to get a lot of recognition, other than quirky interviews and such.

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You always had to irrigate it first, even in the 2d version.

If you try to build a plot is should say 'no muddy soil' or something. Muddying is really easy by the way. The simplest way is to dig a farm room under/next to a murky pool and simply dig through so it drains out into the room. They never contain much water so there's no risk of fatal flooding, it will just spread through your fortress and evaporate.

yeah, i know it isn't so bad

but you definitely shouldn't need to muddy soil as that guy posted about it as a bug

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah. Minecraft looks fun and I'll get around to it when I go on break from DF. But it's a shame it's become so popular so quickly when DF has been doing the same thing, but better, for years.

Maybe by the time I'm 40 DF will be fully 3D and have graphics.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There was another version released on the 23rd. Anyone have any problems with that one?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Check the DF forums to see if there is anything game breaking mentioned I guess. I'm sticking with .12 for now since the only annoying thing is bed designations being ignored.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah. Minecraft looks fun and I'll get around to it when I go on break from DF. But it's a shame it's become so popular so quickly when DF has been doing the same thing, but better, for years.

Maybe by the time I'm 40 DF will be fully 3D and have graphics.

a non-arcane ritual requiring user interface can go quite a ways.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm. I can't embark. so that's pretty game-breaking.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The new sprawl tends to create farms everywhere by 1050, making it impossible to find an embark site. Stop the worldgen early or get the previous version.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't like the sprawl. It seems.. weird. Maybe when the idea gets refined...

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    so

elephant in my base

hmm

blood on the ground, expedition leader dead

anyone got any bright ideas?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    well, after the shitstorm that is military, and chasing the elephant all over, he appears to have just wrecked my shit and walked the fuck out

whatever

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like a glorious victory.

Verdian on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    the only victory is that he was given the name Glacialsouls.

is it a big downer for my dwarves to lose their expedition leader?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Only if they were friends with him. Just engrave a wall in his honor in your dining room and they'll get over it. And don't forget to assign a new one.

Verdian on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Work SafeWork Safe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so is the new version worth downloading?

Work Safe on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Catsplosion

That is all.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys, is there a tutorial video for this game? You know, someone going through an example campaign to let you know what exactly you're doing to get adequately started? Not necessarily "THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD PLAY." but more of:

"Here's your party screen, this is what each one does and I'm making these selections because of this. First important thing is to X by doing Y. Here's how we do it, I'll go over these other sections later. Here's a mob and let's go over the ways you can deal with it right now...etc"

Sipex on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    'CaptainDuck' has 40+ video tutorials for 40d on youtube. That should give you a pretty solid base, but I'm sure there are some for the current system that explain boroughs and doctors and the like.

[e] Actually I'm not sure that's how his name is spelled. There should be a thread on it on the DF forums, or just google it.

ArbitraryDescriptor on