As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Costume quest- Get your costume on again with DLC planned for December!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    V charming game. Played as far as the first boss and have found it to be most enjoyable so far. The text could do with being a tad larger though, and if this is meant to be kid friendly it really needs the cutscene dialogue to be push button to advance, not auto forwarding.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not horrible slowdown anyway. Just with a game this simple you expect it to be smooth all the way.

Just completed it 200 / 200. What a wonderful little experience that was :mrgreen:

In the end I rolled with
    Robot, Knight and Unicorn. The Pumpkin costume is also pretty awesome.

*edit* Also, a tip for the whole saving issue. At a point in the game you will open up a means to visit a previous area. Every time you go through I believe it saves your progress. Not useful at the start but helpful when you reach that point.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is a cute game, I bought it because I love Halloween and I wanted a game to play with my girlfriend.

Two complaints, the save system or lack of one blows and there are some frame rate issues on the PSN version.

I also just got to the mall and I already miss the ambiance of the neighborhood level. Mall's just don't feel very Halloweeny to me.

EDIT: The lack of a map is also annoying.

Hasn't been an issue for me, but you can save by using the gateway to old areas.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My prefered setup was
    Robot/Pumpkin Guts, Knight/Tombstone, Unicorn/Banshee

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ahahahaha I found a shout out to Arrested Development!

Cantido on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Completed, wonderful game, great ending, funky Avatar unlocks too.

And my not-too-exciting setup was;
    Robot/Pumpkin guts, Spaceman/Major DoT, Unicorn/Health regen bat thing or 2-turn damage enabling toilet roll.

Want moar Double Fine games!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, there's at least 3 more coming our way!

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Really? What?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How the hell do I get those chests on the second floor of the mall? The ones that are beside the monorail track? The carts always zoom in and block me.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    Really? What?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/15/double-fines-next-projects-four-smaller-games/

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    Really? What?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/15/double-fines-next-projects-four-smaller-games/

And a fifth combining the powers of Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert.

I just finished Costume Quest and loved every minute of it.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Isn't the project with vice ron gilbert part of the 4 games deal?

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Home Run KingHome Run King Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beat it and got 200/200, playing about 80% of it in one sitting.

I loved it, and thought it was basically the perfect length, although I dislike long games. My only problem was the lack of differences between the costumes - there are basically 4 or so different attack mechanisms split up between all of them and the battles were getting pretty stale by the end of the game. The exploration, art direction, writing and general charm more than made up for it.

Home Run King on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So is this game good

I really can't stand rpgs with poor gameplay and only make very very very rare exceptions (for instance PAA Ep 1 got close for me and I barely made any headway in Ep 2 once i realized it was the same old shit all over again)

Rent on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well it is simplistic almost to a fault, but it's pretty short as well. By the time I started really getting bored of combat the game was just about done anyway.

Loved the game though.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any tips on where to get the last piece for the [costume spoilers]
    statue of liberty costume? I have the Cardboard and feather duster, but cannot find the rest.

Edit: nevermind, found it.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just bought it. Bobbed for some apples then saw it save so I decided to quit for the night. I'm getting tired and I heard about the save issues, so I'll play some more tomorrow night. Awesome game so far. It's simple, yeah, but sometimes that's what I enjoy in my games. I love the environment too.

anoffday on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    So is this game good

I really can't stand rpgs with poor gameplay and only make very very very rare exceptions (for instance PAA Ep 1 got close for me and I barely made any headway in Ep 2 once i realized it was the same old shit all over again)

You won't like this because it is awesome like PAA and you like shitty RPGs, sorry Rent

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    RE: The saving thing.

Just bob for apples when you want to save. It saves before you even start bobbing, so it isn't completely terrible.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So is this game good

You won't like this because it is awesome like PAA and you like shitty RPGs, sorry Rent

but i like Nier so that can't possibly be true???

Rent on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So is this game good

but i like Nier so that can't possibly be true???

Valkyria Chronicles was awesome. It was merely hindered by some real gameplay idiocy and anime bullshit in the last third of the game. Everything else was awesome, and it solved the problems I have with Fire Emblem.

Wait...Mario RPG was shitty? Old is shitty? For All Ages is shitty? When did that happen? And I'll tell you what. The writing in CQ doesn't make me want to bang my head against a wall like in Valkyria Chronicles.

Also, the fighting is much faster and interesting in Costume Quest than watching Gabriel slowly punch things in PAA. The hit you take for messing up a defensive QTE is HUGE. I mean if you die you just appear in front of the monster to try again, but I see no problem with that.

EDIT - I'm talking about PA Gabriel punching, not Castlevania Gabriel punching. When CV Gabriel punches, things explode.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah the game is all about finding the rhythm - once you get costumes figured out for everyone you can have a round of combat fly by in a few seconds. Zip zip zip

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    hahaha...remember to actually read your menu screens. They're full of little jokes in things like the Brutal Legend Tour Book. I found a shout out to The Princess Bride, and one of the last missions is called Children of the High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I already beat this, but I care enough to work towards all the achievements. I rarely do that.

Tim Schafer says XBLA will put his game in the spotlight next week, like how it is with Super Meat Boy now. This doesn't bother me. Both games deserve lots and lots of love.

Cantido on
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Got it - just finished the mall. Loving it.

The cat butt though - it haunts me. Even with my eyes shut I can still see it. CAT BUTT!

hamdingers on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just finished up playing, the fps drops aren't that bad and the overall experience is well worth the asking price.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    Just finished up playing, the fps drops aren't that bad and the overall experience is well worth the asking price.

That's because all the other games are full of brown! The Xbox 360 and Ps3 are not used to games with color! :P

I just realized that if this wasn't a children's game, there would be so much hating on people who hand out evangelical papers.

This is for ruining my child's Halloween! *eggs house*

You'll pay for this sinner!

Where are my manners? *Throws egg at resident* Here, sweetie, take an egg!

Yes mommy! *throws egg*

Cantido on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hamdingers wrote: »

The cat butt though - it haunts me. Even with my eyes shut I can still see it. CAT BUTT!

That cat butt really made me laugh man.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    How the hell do I get those chests on the second floor of the mall? The ones that are beside the monorail track? The carts always zoom in and block me.
    Enter the room in the arcade that leads to a tunnel then go all the way left i think. I cant remember the exact exit from that room that takes you to the chest but its definately in that tunnel.

Dude, its not exactly hidden. not like im spoiling storylines.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    azith28 wrote: »
    Enter the room in the arcade that leads to a tunnel then go all the way left i think. I cant remember the exact exit from that room that takes you to the chest but its definately in that tunnel.

HELLO MR SPOILER TAGS, WHERE DID YOU GO?!
    Dude, this ain't GameFAQs.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    JB LarsJB Lars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Okay, I must've missed something. Where's the cat butt I keep hearing about?

JB Lars on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    JB Lars wrote: »

It's near the very beginning after you lose your costume. Cat comes along with the costume blueprint and walks away with its butt in your face.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    JB LarsJB Lars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's near the very beginning after you lose your costume. Cat comes along with the costume blueprint and walks away with its butt in your face.
    Ah, I see. I accidentally skipped two cutscenes, that being one of them.

JB Lars on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This is such an enjoyable game. It's espically nice coming to it after needing a break from Super Meat Boy. I love the characters, the music, and the environments. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It has some pretty funny lines in it too. One of my favorites: spoilered if you'd rather read it in the game.
    "I hope I'm the only banana this year. Last year...total bananafest."

I literally lol'd at that one.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    azith28 wrote: »

Dude, its not exactly hidden. not like im spoiling storylines.

I was wrong. Go in the arcade, in the hole in the wall, and check where the tracks split.

Also, Tim Schafer revealed on Twitter that the Brutal Legend Laser Panther is hidden in Costume Quest. I looooooove Laser Panthers.

Cantido on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    question about battle stamps:
    do you seriously have to just slowly farm the last 4-500 candy for the last one?
    I just finished the game with everything else done. While it's possible I missed 1 or 2 chests, there's no way I missed that many.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, that last boss...he was something. Awesome, but maaaan...

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    do you seriously have to just slowly farm the last 4-500 candy for the last one?
    I just finished the game with everything else done. While it's possible I missed 1 or 2 chests, there's no way I missed that many.

you can pop in and out of a zone to respawn the wandering mobs & all the various crap to smack for candy - I basically ended the game with about 70 candy to spare overall haha

hush on
    This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    JB Lars wrote: »

On the rear end of the cat. I'm not sure how else to answer this!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

I had too much fun smacking everything in the game for extra candy and well, finding a few of the extra wandering mobs. I had a couple hundred candy to spare by the end. I wouldn't have noticed the respawn mobs if I didn't go back to the second stage to find the rest of a costume I'd somehow missed.

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I'm going for all achievements here, and I'm wondering if this is one of those games where you want to finish everything first before beating the game. Or can I beat it and keep playing to finish up the last few quests, candy, etc.?

anoffday on