Options

[The Walking Dead] Season one is over "Man I'm gonna get shitfaced drunk, again"

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    One thing I didn't understand at all...
    how the hell did that soldier inside the M60 Patton get bitten and killed? He was in a friggin tank. How would the zombies have gotten in? The two hatches in the top of the turret and the bottom floor would've both been closed and bolted shut. The tank itself has a giant main gun and machine guns. You can wipe out tons of slow-moving zombies with those. And even if you run out of ammo for the guns, you can just drive the tank over the hordes of walkers. There is no way for zombies to bite and claw through the thick armor plating. Being in a tank is about the safest possible location in a zombie apocalypse.

Other then that... great episode for a great comic series. Yes, it's a comic series, not a "series of graphic novels." Sheesh.

What do you do when you run out of gas and/or ammo?

Veevee on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Veevee wrote: »
    how the hell did that soldier inside the M60 Patton get bitten and killed? He was in a friggin tank. How would the zombies have gotten in? The two hatches in the top of the turret and the bottom floor would've both been closed and bolted shut. The tank itself has a giant main gun and machine guns. You can wipe out tons of slow-moving zombies with those. And even if you run out of ammo for the guns, you can just drive the tank over the hordes of walkers. There is no way for zombies to bite and claw through the thick armor plating. Being in a tank is about the safest possible location in a zombie apocalypse.

Other then that... great episode for a great comic series. Yes, it's a comic series, not a "series of graphic novels." Sheesh.

Hop out and refuel it at the Army base you're in.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

And get bitten, as that soldier likely did. Nothing stops someone from getting a wound and barricading inside of a tank, after all.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Arthil wrote: »

And get bitten, as that soldier likely did. Nothing stops someone from getting a wound and barricading inside of a tank, after all.

Why would you get bitten at an Army base? It's a base full of soldiers with machine guns. And if you did get bitten there, why would they let you get back into a tank? And why would you then drive the tank from the base all the way back to the city? And why would you then open the hatches?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

From what I see is that...
    It's not a M60 with is awesome fuel efficent desel engine but a M1 Fakerams with its "Burn as much gas idle as it does at full speed." engine. So it's possible that the crew ran out of fuel and had to ditch it. As for the soldier inside, I don't think he's was apart of the tank crew, he had a 82nd Airborne patch, in the promo, didn't see it very clearly in the episode. I don't think the 82nd Airborne is known for its tanking. He probably got bit, and hid inside the tank for shelter while everyone else got mobbed or ran off. In which he then died and zombified inside the tank.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Slow mother fuckin clap for that shit... amazing.. absolutely amazing. Was waaay better than I was anticipating and I didn't think that would be possible.

Can't wait for the season, and all you peoples better fucking watch the show. If this thing gets canceled due to rating I might incite my own zombie apocalypse.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    *flips to cartoon network for Venture Bros. Notices it is a rerun. flips back to AMC for TWD's rerun*

Tomanta on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In reference to the soldier question, this is a spoiler about the zombie lore of The Walking Dead:

You don't have to be bitten to turn. Every person who dies becomes a zombie, regardless of how they died.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In reference to the soldier question, this is a spoiler about the zombie lore of The Walking Dead:

You don't have to be bitten to turn. Every person who dies becomes a zombie, regardless of how they died.

this is what I figured.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah that was fantastic!
    The big reveal after he goes after the helicopter in Atlanta was so fucking terrifying. Round a corner, and WALL OF ZOMBIES.

Ceno on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

So they're magical zombies? erg

override367 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

No, they aren't. The way it's explained in the comics, every living person in the world is already infected with the virus. The virus activates on death.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Comic (and I am assuming show) spoilers:
    You don't have to be bitten to become a zombie. All you have to do is die. Everyone that is alive is infected with the virus that reanimates the dead. So it's possible that the tank guy was surrounded by zombies, holed up, and starved to death or something like that. Then reanimated while in the tank.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Why does that make them magical? I mean the idea that it's scientifically possible for that to happen is pretty far out and impossible. But so are zombies.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

No, they aren't. The way it's explained in the comics, every living person in the world is already infected with the virus. The virus activates on death.

when do they explain all this? I read pretty far in (not caught up though) and I don't remember this

valiance on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    mantis23 wrote: »

You don't have to be bitten to become a zombie. All you have to do is die. Everyone that is alive is infected with the virus that reanimates the dead. So it's possible that the tank guy was surrounded by zombies, holed up, and starved to death or something like that. Then reanimated while in the tank.
    Well, that kinda makes sense. Sure. I mean, if you believe that US Army tankers aren't smart enough to keep an eye on the fuel gauge and drive back to base when their fuel gets low. I guess that's possible.

Though of course, if he was holed up in there and starved to death, there's no way in hell he'd have left that bottom hatch open. I sure wouldn't if I were holed up in a tank.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like how the first few minutes of the episode is basically their way of saying "Yeah, we're not afraid to show that on TV. Get used to seeing stuff like this or change the channel now."

SteevL on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Then why would getting bitten or scratched even remotely matter?

Oh God, the wound's gone septic! You'll only have ...a few days to live if we can't find you antibiotics.

[edit] meh, spoilered just in case people are good at inferring, I guess [/edit]

President Rex on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    During the prison arc.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited November 2010

[edit] meh, spoilered just in case people are good at inferring, I guess [/edit]

Because getting bitten or scratched, fucking kills you.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

If you're already infected with the virus why would getting bitten or scratched remotely matter. Even if the zombies turned into poison-filled Komodo dragon-esque zombies the person still wouldn't die that fast.

President Rex on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seriously, the makeup and set design was amazing. I wonder just how long it took to set up the Atlanta shots.
    I love the first scene at the camp, where they don't identify Lori/Carl and you don't know who they are until it cuts back to Rick. Unless you have read the comic like I have, anyway.

And the episode's ending was fantastic.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    valiance wrote: »

when do they explain all this? I read pretty far in (not caught up though) and I don't remember this

I've only read up to the end up hardcover book 3, but it was briefly explained by certain events, and the rest was conjecture by the characters.

The event in question, HUGE SPOILER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD :
    Rick digging up Shane's body, and finding out that he was reanimated. Shane wasn't killed by a zombie.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Oh God, the wound's gone septic! You'll only have ...a few days to live if we can't find you antibiotics.

Getting bitten or maybe even scratched makes you get a fever that kills you pretty quickly. At least thats what I learned in this first episode.

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

If you're already infected with the virus why would getting bitten or scratched remotely matter. Even if the zombies turned into poison-filled Komodo dragon-esque zombies the person still wouldn't die that fast.
    It's not getting bitten or scratched that kills you, it's VERY explicit in the comics that disease is a HUGE problem. Any sort of untreated wound that gets infected will very quickly kill a person without antibiotics. Now, what do you think is going on in the mouth or fingernails of someone who has been dead and rotting for months?

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    valiance wrote: »

I've only read up to the end up hardcover book 3, but it was briefly explained by certain events, and the rest was conjecture by the characters.

The event in question, HUGE SPOILER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD :
    Rick digging up Shane's body, and finding out that he was reanimated. Shane wasn't killed by a zombie.

Ffffuuuuu

I just realized that I have become immune to spoiler images, and just automatically click them. I must break this habit.

Buddies on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yes but
    if you already have the virus, why does getting scratched make it all the sudden kill you, and only scratched by a zombie at that?

I demand internal consistency with my horror!

Nah even if it ends up being silly, it was fantastic and I like it

override367 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It's not getting bitten or scratched that kills you, it's VERY explicit in the comics that disease is a HUGE problem. Any sort of untreated wound that gets infected will very quickly kill a person without antibiotics. Now, what do you think is going on in the mouth or fingernails of someone who has been dead and rotting for months?

The black guy on the show spent like 20 minutes talking about how if you get bit or scratched you develop a crazy wierd fever that kills you fast and then you come back.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't recall it ever being called a virus in the comics, and I've read every issue.

It's more like the laws of mortality have been flipped. Before, you died and you peacefully passed on. Now, you die and come back as a zombie.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

While I dont remember it specifically. There is something about the wounds inflicted by the zombies that causes the massive fever and subsequent death, even if the wound is treated for things like blood loss. I'm not sure that it has been explained yet. I've only gotten to issue 50 or so.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    so being exposed to a virus that you already have makes you develop a fever?

why????

override367 on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, it doesn't really make sense that bit = fast death if everyone is already infected with the same thing anyhow.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yes but
    if you already have the virus, why does getting scratched make it all the sudden kill you, and only scratched by a zombie at that?

I demand internal consistency with my horror!

Nah even if it ends up being silly, it was fantastic and I like it

Think of it like this, we're kinda into the zed apocalypse by the point the show starts, right? How much medicine do you think is still around?

How long did people in the past survive after getting a horribly infected wound, while not having antibiotics of any kind to allow them to deal with it? Not very long at all.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    so being exposed to a virus that you already have makes you develop a fever?

why????

Maybe it's a bacteria that the zombies develop?

Why are you asking super specific questions about a zombie tv show? Enjoy the moment.

edit: I hope they never ever make an attempt to have a storyline explaining where the virus came from and what exactly it does. I haven't read enough into the comics to see if they tried it there or not. But from what I did read that kept it ambiguous and never really mentioned it. That's what I like.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    About zombie virus.
    Well... we could say...

The virus or whatever stays dormant inside a living human and activates upon death. BUT it could also activate if it comes into contact with already activated cells. Which are contained in a zombie that bites and scratches people. Why would a virus activate inside a dead host? Who the fuck knows! Why are there dead people walking all of the damn place!?

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The black guy on the show spent like 20 minutes talking about how if you get bit or scratched you develop a crazy wierd fever that kills you fast and then you come back.
    Because that's what happens when something made of rotting flesh takes a bite out of you. You get a fever and die.

I am okay with this explanation. No, I don't know the exact science behind how this would happen and you know what? It doesn't matter, because shows have been inconsistent on far more important things and they get away with it all the time, why does it have to be a mystical magic zombie fever that kills the dude? It's just a fever because rotting stuff came close to an open wound.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm actually more comfortable with "a wizard did it" than clumsily trying to science up an answer with what I've been presented here, so if no one objects I'm just going to assume that Sauron conjured up the zombie apocalypse

It will make the show more enjoyable

override367 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Think of it like this, we're kinda into the zed apocalypse by the point the show starts, right? How much medicine do you think is still around?

How long did people in the past survive after getting a horribly infected wound, while not having antibiotics of any kind to allow them to deal with it? Not very long at all.

I don't think it's any sort of infected wound though. Like, if you get bitten by a wild cat in the world of TWD, I don't think it'll give you a huge fever that makes your skin feel like it's on fire and ultimately kills you. I think it's only the zombie's bite that infects you with the weird zombie disease that leads to the fever.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I don't think it's any sort of infected wound though. Like, if you get bitten by a wild cat in the world of TWD, I don't think it'll give you a huge fever that makes your skin feel like it's on fire and ultimately kills you. I think it's only the zombie's bite that infects you with the weird zombie disease that leads to the fever.

Wizard.

Got it.

Edit: so, zombie apocalypse

Basically I'm prepared:

Escape plan: set up bunker in abandoned missile base
    Emergency weapon: Warhammer, 1-shot kill on zombies with the con of taking high stamina to swing
    Preferred firearm: Any kind of shotgun, high ammo efficiency low accuracy requirement

override367 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Is it a wild cat that has been rotting for the past 3 months?

This is important. Think about why I'm asking this question.

Spawnbroker on
This discussion has been closed.