As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Am I Being Selfish?

CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay so here it is. My girlfriend and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, my desk and computer are in the living room since we use my computer to watch movies. She has a desk in one of the bedrooms where she can do school work and such, and she has a laptop.

I come home from school and she is doing homework on her laptop on the couch in the living room. After talking with her for a bit she goes back to doing her homework, I sit down on my computer and start to type etc. She gets pissed at me and says its unfair that she has to leave the room because she can't concentrate with me typing. She says I am being selfish by not letting her concentrate, even though she is using a laptop and has her own room with a desk.

Am I being selfish here? I don't even know how to resolve this. She literally wants me to wait patiently and do nothing until she is done concentrating. What should I do?

edit: Okay so update, I just talked to her and she is upset about the computer thing. She said that since I know that my typing bothers her, I am being disrespectful and selfish and that if she is in the living room doing homework, I should have to ask her permission to go on my computer. So uh yeah, I really have no idea what to do on this one.

452773-1.png
CasedOut on

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, you're not being selfish. The living room is a shared area. If you want privacy, then it's on you to move

Calmy state your point. Offer a compromise. For example, take your computer into either hers or your room.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well the second room is our bedroom and the only reason my computer is out here is because we use it to watch movies on since we do not have a TV.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    what kind of a computer is yours? if it's a desktop, can you get a quieter keyboard? maybe buy one of those keyboard covers which dampen the key noises? type more, uh, quietly?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is your computer a laptop or a desktop?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    She has what is essentially an office and should not expect you to leave the livingroom because she has decided to work in there instead of the office. If you're typing bothers her then she should take her laptop into the room that has been designated a work space and quit her bitching.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, unless she's normally this petty she's probably upset about something(s) else and this just what she's latched onto to be angry openly about.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It is a desktop, and I have looked at some of the quieter keyboards. I do also always try to wear headphones whenever I am playing something and she is in the living room studying.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, unless she's normally this petty she's probably upset about something(s) else and this just what she's latched onto to be angry openly about.

Great

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This seems like one of those things where the fight is about something else and you using the computer was just the catalyst.

Maybe she's upset you don't have to study as much, or at all. Or maybe this is about a larger issue with how you respect her time. Maybe she just needs some space. Either way, if that is the case then she needs to do a better job of communicating the issue, rather then just jumping on you when you violate one of her invisible rules. I would wait until she's calmed down, then have a rational discussion. I very much doubt you using the computer is the real issue here.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    CasedOut wrote: »
    It is a desktop, and I have looked at some of the quieter keyboards. I do also always try to wear headphones whenever I am playing something and she is in the living room studying.

Well, if you typing in the living room is so irritating, then you can move the computer into that second bedroom and she doesn't get to watch movies on it anymore.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well now it seems I have the problem of figuring out what the real issue is...

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It could be something really minor. Could be something as simple as she's frustrated with her homework.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well now it seems I have the problem of figuring out what the real issue is...

If she doesn't tell you ask. My bf and I both do this but we've learned to go back to the other and apologize and explain what's really wrong. So when I blow up about dishes or he freaks over the garbage we cool down and say "I'm sorry I freaked out, I'm not mad about X I'm upset about Y & Z." Ask her flat out if the computer is what's bothering her or if there's something else she wants to talk about.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay so update, I just talked to her and she is upset about the computer thing. She said that since I know that my typing bothers her, I am being disrespectful and selfish and that if she is in the living room doing homework, I should have to ask her permission to go on my computer. So uh yeah, I really have no idea what to do on this one.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tell her she can either have the spare room as an office or your computer is being moved in there and you'll use that for your computer space.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tell her she can either have the spare room as an office or your computer is being moved in there and you'll use that for your computer space.

I already tried that, she said the other room is freezing and she is uncomfortable in there and she said she still wants to watch movies in the living room. I even told her I'd buy her a heater for the other room, and she said that isn't the point.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I already tried that, she said the other room is freezing and she is uncomfortable in there and she said she still wants to watch movies in the living room. I even told her I'd buy her a heater for the other room, and she said that isn't the point.

Tell her there has to be some middle ground. Compromise doesn't mean she gets her way all the time.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well then she is the one being selfish and not you. Looks like she won't let you win. If it's in the budget you could pick up a tv for the movie watching. I can't imagine your computer monitor is all that big so anything of equal or greater size would do.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Buy her some earplugs? Move the desktop and use her laptop for movies?

She can't expect you to not use your computer when she's studying. That's not reasonable, and sets an unpleasant precedent.

zilo on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The point is that she wants to complain. That seems pretty obvious to those of us not involved though maybe not in the maelstrom where you are, so believe us. Go see a movie or something and when you get back, maybe she'll be a rational human being.

She is probably having a bad day and wants to be grumpy. Happens to everyone.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

well shit she's being really difficult.

Can you fit a couch in her room? *not real advice

Maybe you should study in the living room to and tell her to leave when she makes too much noise. *not real advice

At some point you're going to have to tell her no.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The part that really gets me about all of this is she keeps saying "I dont respect her" or that "I don't care about her feelings."

I already told her I thought she was being selfish, and she said "So what does that mean you just don't care about my feelings?"

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The part that really gets me about all of this is she keeps saying "I dont respect her" or that "I don't care about her feelings."

I already told her I thought she was being selfish, and she said "So what does that mean you just don't care about my feelings?"

There's really no point in arguing with someone when they're acting like that. Logic is useless. Go for a walk at least.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Tell her those are the only options because you're not going to stop using your computer or ask her permission to use it. She can get over the typing sound, she can leave the room or you can move your computer and that's it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Tell her those are the only options because you're not going to stop using your computer or ask her permission to use it. She can get over the typing sound, she can leave the room or you can move your computer and that's it.

Thats pretty much what I have said at this point. She thinks that makes me a selfish prick. I don't know how to resolve it at this point.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You can decide. Move your desktop into the spare room. If she doesn't like it ask her what her solution is that's fair to both of you.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Take a break, try to think of compromises that might work and come back to this when she seems more reasonable.

Does she listen to music while studying? Some cheap headphones would work great. What about a laptop stand and chair for your bedroom? There are a decent number of simple and easy little solutions that at least can be cheaper than a new TV.

Is this sort of thing a common event or is it a one time deal? When you've both had some time come back and perhaps try to sit down and explain how you both feel about this? It might help show how a simple annoyance at keyboard sounds turned into a (possibly) serious problem about respect and caring for others feelings.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Why not earplugs for her?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    If this is really all she's upset about (my first thought was that it can't be just this), she's basically cornering you. You're not selfish for wanting to use your computer. You offered to take it into the other room, and she refused because bullshit reason. If she needs a space and the one alloted to her isn't enough and she needs to claim the living room AND your computer AND her computer, she really probably shouldn't be living with another person.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Unfortunately it appears that you are in the process of dealing with a recalcitrant child and not an adult. Not only is she unwilling to compromise, but she is perfectly content with blaming you for not "understanding" her situation.

As everyone else has already addressed the reasonable adult measures, there are not many more avenues which we can go down. Do you acquiesce to her, admittedly unreasonable, demands? If so, where does that put your relationship? Relationships should never be about power, but by giving her what she selfishly wants you to give without compromise only sets up the expectation that you will do the same thing when a similar situation comes up.

Unfortunately, we don't know the whole story. While you say she hasn't done something like this before, maybe she has, and as this was the most egregious example, you have finally stood up and paid attention.

I am not going to tell you to write off this relationship as broken, yet. If you want to give her what she wants without compromise and understanding, while inherently unhealthy, that is your choice. What I would recommend would be to have a neutral third party arbitrate, i.e. a counselor, who can point out the inconsistencies in the relationship. If she refuses to participate, well, that's probably another check in the box of "maybe she isn't what I want in a relationship."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Okay so update, I just talked to her and she is upset about the computer thing. She said that since I know that my typing bothers her, I am being disrespectful and selfish and that if she is in the living room doing homework, I should have to ask her permission to go on my computer. So uh yeah, I really have no idea what to do on this one.

Bitches, be crazy yo.

But seriously, from what you're presenting it doesn't sound like you're being selfish or unreasonable. However, it also doesn't seem that this is an argument that is really worth "winning". Just move your desktop into the spare room that she doesn't use and wish her luck on her homework with a kiss before you retire to your impromptu mancave.

My girlfriend is studying for her CPA. I gave her a bedroom and wear airwolf style wireless headphones to watch TV with while she is studying because that shit is hard and stresses her out. Anything to make her happy ultimately ain't no thing. (Also, she promised to buy me a boat when she becomes a CPA)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Actually, I think Deebaser may have something. Unless I missed it, what is your girlfriend going to school for and how much homework does she seem to get? If she gets a lot of homework and is becoming stressed out that there could be part of the problem. As well, how much homework do you get? If you don't get much, it might be a sense of unfairness too.

Also, how long have you two been together and how long have you two been living together? At least to me a fuller picture certainly helps.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    See, I can understand both sides of the situation. I feel like the girlfriend is being VERY unreasonable, but if her workload is crazy, then she just might want to hang out on the comfortable couch while doing homework, trying to relax as much as possible while also trying to get work done.
    I feel like she's being rude and snappy about it, especially by saying you don't care about her feelings, but some people tend to crack under pressure.

If this isn't a regular thing, then I'd do what Deebaser suggested, but if this is a regular thing, then it's time for a sit down. Gotta pick your battles.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    See, I can understand both sides of the situation. I feel like the girlfriend is being VERY unreasonable, but if her workload is crazy, then she just might want to hang out on the comfortable couch while doing homework, trying to relax as much as possible while also trying to get work done.
    I feel like she's being rude and snappy about it, especially by saying you don't care about her feelings, but some people tend to crack under pressure.

If this isn't a regular thing, then I'd do what Deebaser suggested, but if this is a regular thing, then it's time for a sit down. Gotta pick your battles.

And the ONLY issue I would take with this is that she refuses to let him move his shit so that he can still use his things without bothering her. This is where "rude and stressed" crosses the line into "unreasonable" for me.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    BalgairBalgair Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Look, it's obvious that she's being the difficult one in this situation. Stationary desktop trumps mobile laptop in the whole "I have a right to work in this location" game, period. End of story.

As far as her climate concerns go, understandable--but she needs to man up and decide to either be cold and alone in her room, or just learn to concentrate with what I can only imagine is the most negligible audio interference ever in the background.

Also, as two people living together with the (I presume) intention of doing so into the future, you might want to sit down and have a chat about the importance of rational communication in your relationship, as this whole issue is pretty ridiculous.

Balgair on
    XBL:VOS THE VARG
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Thats pretty much what I have said at this point. She thinks that makes me a selfish prick. I don't know how to resolve it at this point.
    Unless she comes around, this won't have a good resolution. If you cave she's gotten her way, and it sets a precedent. I can almost guarantee you'll have this argument again, with her bolstered by you giving up. If you don't cave and she doesn't realize how unreasonable she's being, it will just stew until something sets it off again. Chances are, it will be bigger the next time.

I mean really, "It's cold." "I'll buy you a heater." "That's not the point!"

She's right, it's not the point, the point is she wants you to do what she tells you.

Let it go for tonight. When she's out of homework mode, bring it up again in a civil way. If she still acts unreasonable about it and blames you for being selfish (you're not), you have a bigger problem.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Actually, I think Deebaser may have something. Unless I missed it, what is your girlfriend going to school for and how much homework does she seem to get? If she gets a lot of homework and is becoming stressed out that there could be part of the problem. As well, how much homework do you get? If you don't get much, it might be a sense of unfairness too.

Also, how long have you two been together and how long have you two been living together? At least to me a fuller picture certainly helps.

Yeah, but at the same time - being rude due to stress doesn't really excuse the manipulative behavior. Based on what CasedOut said, she cornered him with the 'you don't respect my feelings' comments and now the argument is set to change from being about 'you're annoying me with noisy typing' into 'you're an insensitive asshole'.

To me, being rude due to stress would have been more like 'RAAGH STOP TYPING ZOMG YOU ARE SO ANNOYING!!1', followed by some kind of embarrassed apology about snapping at a later time. Not so much the using of loaded language to transmute one argument into a new and more virulent argument.

Raekreu on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Raekreu wrote: »
    Yeah, but at the same time - being rude due to stress doesn't really excuse the manipulative behavior. Based on what CasedOut said, she cornered him with the 'you don't respect my feelings' comments and now the argument is set to change from being about 'you're annoying me with noisy typing' into 'you're an insensitive asshole'.

To me, being rude due to stress would have been more like 'RAAGH STOP TYPING ZOMG YOU ARE SO ANNOYING!!1', followed by some kind of embarrassed apology about snapping at a later time. Not so much the using of loaded language to transmute one argument into a new and more virulent argument.

This.

Being irrationally touchy about any kind of noise? Fine! Stress does bad things to people, and sometimes you just have to let them have their perfect bubble.

Getting unreasonably angry at such? Again, fine! Stress puts people close to anger.

Channeling that anger into serious passive-aggression and manipulation that breaks down communication? Not fine.

admanb on
  • Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tell her that if she wants to talk about what you previously did that made her feel that you disrespect her and don't care for her feelings that's cool and all, but she doesn't get to use your possessions and living space as passive aggressive leverage.

Do this tomorrow, when she is not freaking out about homework.

I am assuming that she is not completely insane and childish, and that you probably did something previously, possibly in a chronic fashion that made her feel this way. I mean, she could be completely insane, but I get the feel from most of your posts that you're a bit of a goose, and it seems like you're reading between the lines here already but not comprehending it.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Balgair wrote: »
    Look, it's obvious that she's being the difficult one in this situation. Stationary desktop trumps mobile laptop in the whole "I have a right to work in this location" game, period. End of story.

I almost agree with this. I can see how if she is studying and is tired and wants to be in the warm comfortable room, that makes sense. She is working, he is surfing the internet/playing games. Her 'work' is obviously of more importance, and sometimes in a long relationship you have to know when your partner just needs a bit of space and extra consideration.

He could just temporarily move the desktop, probably with much less fuss than he has had already.

If they were both just messing around in the room, or both studying, it would of course be on her to move, but if she is working and he is just tinkering about, hers is the greater need.

She is being totally mean and unnecessary about expressing herself though, and the manipulation is out of line.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png