As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did you get that memo? [JOBS]

skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Social Entropy++
Need a job? Post here!

teddybearlookingforwork.jpg

Have a job? Post here!

istock000002263490xsmal.jpg

I'm currently doing my self-review for my annual performance review. Wooo

skettios on

• Options
    SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm gonna need to get a job once I get my grades up so I can afford shit like a car and clothes that weren't bought for me. Probably like, unboxing shit at Publix or something

Saint on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    uh my self review is that I am the greatest asset this company has ever seen.

Langly on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You know, I was just about to throw an OP together because I couldn't find one. Well done.

I've applied to what could easily be my dream job. Let us see how that goes. I'm also working on a cover letter for another gig as well as Neville's cover letter that I have been slacking on like an asshole.

Sorry, Nevs. End of day today, guaranteed.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    You know, I was just about to throw an OP together because I couldn't find one. Well done.

I've applied to what could easily be my dream job. Let us see how that goes. I'm also working on a cover letter for another gig as well as Neville's cover letter that I have been slacking on like an asshole.

Thank ya. :)

Best of luck on that dream job!

skettios on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I did my self review and had my meeting with the supervisor to go over it. He didn't care for my attitude of not wanting to bust my ass to work towards stretch goals to look for a promotion that doesn't exist because there are no openings in the company unless people die.

I told him that if a position opens, I'd be happy to move up, but I'm not doing a job and a half for the next few years for no extra money just to show them.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    He didn't care for my attitude of not wanting to bust my ass to work towards stretch goals to look for a promotion that doesn't exist because there are no openings in the company unless people die.

I told him that if a position opens, I'd be happy to move up, but I'm not doing a job and a half for the next few years for no extra money just to show them.

I tried to explain that to the owner of my previous gig.

Apparently, he didn't like the fact that I stopped working like a slave because I realized he was never going to promote me to bar manager. Passive-aggressive fallout did ensue and I took my happy ass on down the road.

Looking back on it, I wonder what ever gave me the idea that he actually gave a shit whether or not I collapsed from health and stress issues.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    getting moved into a better position in May when I graduate, but I'm looking to move into the Dayton, OH area early next year so hopefully I'm going to be able to transfer to another government base there without a ton of hassle

Squall on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm thinking about becoming a male model.

Or maybe high finance.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSad_FweecKGNpkCN-iJpP7j61FA0T7ee-lQ-zWskzrAfYUrABdtQ

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I did that once. I worked for about 18 months to complete a milestone pathway to achieve what my company calls a 'staff' position. I finally achieved all the marks they set for me, and was told that because there was no business need for me to get the promotion, I had to wait. I also was expected to do the things required for the position while waiting.

My question was that if they need me to do those job functions, then there was a business need. I literally got laughed at. I spent another 18 months doing it until I finally got the promotion. Worked one year after that and the whole project collapsed do to bad upper management.

Luckily I got scooped up by the corporate Analytical Services group and stayed with the company and retained my level and years of service for vacation and retirement benefits.

Hunter on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    shit like that makes me wonder how more people don't go on violent rampages.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, Hunter, that's some bullshit right there.

My experience with it was six closing bar shifts a week, 3pm to 3am, for about six months.

I couldn't even play a fucking video game, that's how tired I was on a constant basis.

Langly edit: You would be surprised how close I came on a regular basis. Like, at least twice a day.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Unfortunately that's how it is in many corporate settings. They only will promote you if you already can do the job, which means you work beyond your compensation for long periods of time to prove it.

The biggest pain in the ass is once you achieve it, they'll low ball your salary and either you have to fight tooth and nail to get a fair number or tell them no, which blacklists you. At least that's what I ran into. Luckily my direct supervisors helped me prove the hours I was putting in on projects, and the direct application of how that helped sell product and keep customers happy. Also the patent work and product improvements that saved a lot of money helped.

Hunter on
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Work is giving me a 4 day weekend for working over last weekend.

Sweeeet.

Yukira on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i really really really really need a job

Beasteh on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The opposite end of the spectrum (at least in the bar business) is when I see people get tossed into the deep end of the pool on a busy Friday or Saturday night and they're constantly asking me, "What's in this? What's in that? What glass does it go in?"

Typically, it's a good looking girl with (obviously) no real bar experience, no subsequent training and the regular crew has to carry them until they can catch up, if ever.

Of course, these are the people who paint such a good picture of themselves that they weasel their way into the prime shifts / job placements.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Kinda glad that I'm at a small company atm so there aren't really promotions.
    I mean.. I guess the only position above me is what my boss does and I do NOT want that. I wish to stay a codemonkey plzkthx.

I guess we have a new HR person today. I feel better knowing there's a person for HR and someone else isn't just temporarily filling the role.

skettios on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh sweet! My paystub finally says how much time off I have. No more having to guess and ask.

skettios on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Did you apply for that one I posted?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm probably on the verge of getting suspended from my job because everyone treats me like shit and I am very bad at tolerating it right now.

Good thing I can never go back to school because of my shitty GPA, because food service is definitely my life long career plan.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I'm probably on the verge of getting suspended from my job because everyone treats me like shit and I am very bad at tolerating it right now.

Good thing I can never go back to school because of my shitty GPA, because food service is definitely my life long career plan.

Depends on what state you're in.

Don't do it in Texas unless it's fine dining or a high volume night club; the $2.13 per hour and no benefits have crippled the service industry in this state.

I'm thinking about a move to Las Vegas for these very reasons.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I thought after a certain amount of time your GPA gets reset or something?

skettios on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Don't do it in Texas unless it's fine dining or a high volume night club; the $2.13 per hour and no benefits have crippled the service industry in this state.

If I'm in food service for another year I will probably end my life. Just trying to clarify that.

It's been 6 long years. :(

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    JoeUser wrote: »

Did you apply for that one I posted?

As we speak, actually.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

If I'm in food service for another year I will probably end my life. Just trying to clarify that.

Chin up!

768584255a4e1694604.jpg

skettios on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    I thought after a certain amount of time your GPA gets reset or something?

Not that I know of but that also doesn't mean you can't work your way back into school.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh I guess other people have adopted the "here's a cute animal that will distract you for 3 seconds before you have to go get ready for your soul sucking job" schtick.

Oh no but that means I'm a big meanie terrible person for hating red panda pictures!

Seriously though, I have no reason to be optimistic about my job. They're going to continue to beat me down until I lose my cool completely and get fired. Unless I start popping Xanax everyday, which probably isn't the worst idea.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Try 15 years.

I keep getting passed over for promotions and management gigs because I look younger than I am.

I'm seriously thinking about a Master's Degree and going to teach somewhere.

I've also thought seriously about a complete career change, something along the lines of 'hobo' or 'crazed woodsman' but they don't have postings on craigslist.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    BlackLungBlackLung Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I worked two years in a deli at a grocery store. That is soul destroying. I could do everything perfect but my manager would still find something wrong with everything I did. I eventually started to really slack off before I quit to go to school.

Then I failed out of school because I would rather play video games or draw.

And now I am making subs/sammiches. I like it now but I sometimes hate working with the general public. A lot.

BlackLung on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Still no news on the buyout buy we're still working at the same feverish pace as always

Though this logistics thing I'm working on is pretty interesting in a process nerd sort of way

Usagi on
  • Options
    NerindilNerindil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just started working at a group home for mentally disabled adults, mon-fri 3-11. I absolutely love it. They are the best group of folks I've ever met. I get paid to hang out with a bunch of cool folks.

Also! My previous job was at a Waldenbooks. They fired me a month before Christmas because I wasn't meeting goals that no oke told me about. It didn't matter that I did everything I could to help people find what they were looking for. It didn't matter that I made an effort to familiarize myself with shot I didn't care about. It didn't matter that after two weeks I had regulars who knew my name and sought me out because I had helped them.

Nope. I didn't sling enough shitty bonus cards.

So, about a week ago, when the piece of shit mall that the store was in announced that it was closing, I went in and got massively shitty with them. I also grabbed myself a free copy of House of Leaves.

Fuck those guys. I regret nothing.

Nerindil on
  • Options
    nethneth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'm guessing you don't go to Ohio State, but I know we have a Fresh Start program that will let you reset your GPA after not being enrolled for 5 years. I would hazard a guess that other colleges (at least within the Big Ten) have similar programs. Also, you don't necessarily have to submit transcript or even tell a university you went anywhere else unless you are trying to get transfer credit.

neth on
  • Options
    BlackLungBlackLung Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    neth wrote: »

I'm guessing you don't go to Ohio State, but I know we have a Fresh Start program that will let you reset your GPA after not being enrolled for 5 years. I would hazard a guess that other colleges (at least within the Big Ten) have similar programs. Also, you don't necessarily have to submit transcript or even tell a university you went anywhere else unless you are trying to get transfer credit.

Reaaaally? I may have to look into this. Was thinking about going to a better school to get my bachelors and masters in Studio/Fine Art.

BlackLung on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Seriously though, I have no reason to be optimistic about my job. They're going to continue to beat me down until I lose my cool completely and get fired. Unless I start popping Xanax everyday, which probably isn't the worst idea.

Well let's take this in short and long term goals.

Long term, going back to school is obviously the most important thing. You may have to start back at a community college and retake some courses, but there is no such thing as "failed forever" from college. My brother-in-law just got his degree a month ago after failing out in the early '90s.

Short term the goal is to get you into another job, even it is still in food service.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I want to go to Georgia State, because that's the most convenient to me. I was thinking of going at some point and talking to someone there before I waste 60 dollars trying to apply. I'd hate to lose the credits I did earn at school, I despite my low GPA I did spend 3 years there. Though maybe what I need is to throw it all away to start fresh, I don't know.

To get a new job in food service and make the same amount of money would be difficult. I make far more than 90% of the baristas in this city make, and since my managers don't even ask me if I want to become a server before picking out other (dumber) baristas to train as servers, I'm not gonna get a bartending/serving job just out of thin air. Most places that will make you decent money don't want greenhorns, in my experience. I don't make a lot of money, but if I went somewhere else and did exactly the same thing I would look at losing $4/hr.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    CowardlyCowardly Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Over Christmas I worked as a temp and got fired a couple of weeks ago - because my contract ran out.
    Then the company went into recruitment freeze.

So I applied for another job, and got to the second round of interviews. The next step is being hired.
    They told me they would let me know today.

My old job called me up and offered me a position on friday, but I asked them to wait to hear from me until today for some reason fuck

So I'm now waiting for a call, while needing to call.
    I mean I know I've got a job out of this so its not distressing but boy do I feel dumb

Cowardly on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gettin laid off. Awesome.

Goose! on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    havent been paid for a week after my payment date

getting super nervous

Beasteh on
  • Options
    nethneth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to go to Georgia State, because that's the most convenient to me. I was thinking of going at some point and talking to someone there before I waste 60 dollars trying to apply. I'd hate to lose the credits I did earn at school, I despite my low GPA I did spend 3 years there. Though maybe what I need is to throw it all away to start fresh, I don't know.

To get a new job in food service and make the same amount of money would be difficult. I make far more than 90% of the baristas in this city make, and since my managers don't even ask me if I want to become a server before picking out other (dumber) baristas to train as servers, I'm not gonna get a bartending/serving job just out of thin air. Most places that will make you decent money don't want greenhorns, in my experience. I don't make a lot of money, but if I went somewhere else and did exactly the same thing I would look at losing $4/hr.

http://www2.gsu.edu/~catalogs/2010-2011/undergraduate/1300/1360_academic_support.htm

quick summary: after 5 years you can apply for academic renewal, you retain credit for all your A, B, and C graded course work, link to application process for it appears near the bottom.

neth on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Hmm, that pay discrepancy is a tough one.

Is GSU where you went before? How long has it been since you left?

GSU's website:
    Undergraduate degree-seeking students who have experienced academic difficulty may apply for academic renewal through the Student Advisement Center. A minimum of five calendar years must have passed since last enrollment at Georgia State.

edit: neth has it

JoeUser on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

1) You only get credit for what you got a C or better in the first place. All D's you're going to have to retake anyway.

2) A full 3 years of credit wouldn't do you much good either as any school makes you earn at least half of your credits (if not a majority) there to get a degree. You can't earn 90 credits at school A, get 30 credits at school B, and expect a degree from school B.

3) Talking with Georgia St. is definitely worth it as sometimes a school will accept you into the university even with a poor record but then make you earn your way into your college program of choice by taking some gen eds for your first semester.

4) Regardless of your GPA now, when your credit is transferred over you'll start back at 0.0

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
This discussion has been closed.