• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    China really sucks

Jasconius on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Since I'm not working I may as well volunteer and until I do. So the 5th I have volunteer orientation at the aquarium. I'm going to do a course in grant writing too because I still kick myself for not doing one in grad school.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    cad, that job sounds pretty cool. Too bad I don't have nearly enough experience and no desire to live over in the DC area
    So, day one of my little "overcoming adult adhd" plan is working pretty well. I've got my whole day scheduled out and I've stuck to it for the most part. Chopin on my ipod has helped keep distractions down and Manic Time (a program that tracks your computer use and tells you how much time you are spending in different programs during the day) is showing that I'm keeping on track and not getting distracted by posting here.

Last night, I sat down to get some reading done and was having a lot of trouble locking in on the book I was reading, but after putting some music on so I couldn't hear the TV in the other room and moving to my bedroom instead of sitting in front of the computer, it got better. Then I went to bed about two hours earlier than I usually do (go figure, people with less sleep have more trouble focusing) and ended up sleeping really poorly. First off, I woke up about five times before my alarm went off and then was really sluggish when I finally did wake up. I'm hoping that my body adjusts to actually getting a good night's sleep pretty soon, but today I'm just exhausted at work and that's probably not helping things.

h5 for adult adhd

Having a schedule and/or a routine has helps me a bunch.

skettios on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i feel like sometimes i should go on pills or something again, i was on pills as a kid because i was terribly adhd, that's why my parents sent me to private school too
    but the pills ruined my appetite so we stopped them and then i just had to deal with them
    i also went to this group thingy i only vaguely remember it
    it was almost like group therapy for kids but with activites

sometimes i'm like, maybe i should see a doc, i am terrible, it is really tough to get things done, even when i put effort into it. it was really a challenge in school. even when i went to isolated places far from computers and things, my mind would wander all the time...
    but i end up fine mostly.

i dunno.

like right now, i have just been distracted all over the place from getting anything done.

need to work up some discipline.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    More people need beaten.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stale wrote: »
    More people need beaten.

Beatings will continue until morale improves.

Hunter on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will distract you with my fists of fury.

in your face.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i feel like sometimes i should go on pills or something again, i was on pills as a kid because i was terribly adhd, that's why my parents sent me to private school too
    but the pills ruined my appetite so we stopped them and then i just had to deal with them

sometimes i'm like, maybe i should see a doc, i am terrible, it is really tough to get things done, even when i put effort into it. it was really a challenge in school. even when i went to isolated places far from computers and things, my mind would wander all the time...

i dunno.

like right now, i have just been distracted all over the place from getting anything done.

Some people grow out of it, others come up with decent coping mechanisms, others don't do either /shrug
    I'm on adderall xr right now. I want to talk to my doc bout getting it to last longer.
    I get the appetite suppression, but I have a routine for food so that's not an issue anymore (was a big problem in college.. forgot to eat all the time and then I'd wonder why I was shaking and had a headache,e tc)

skettios on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    we dont get sick days at work

so despite almost puking in the shower I am going to work

What the hell is going on in Canada?

Everyone is sick.

Also why don't you get sick days? Most days I feel sick I just ask someone to turn on my computer and "work from home" all day.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Aphostile wrote: »

Everyone is sick.

Also why don't you get sick days? Most days I feel sick I just ask someone to turn on my computer and "work from home" all day.

no sick days??
    oh, are you on the PTO system? where all your sick days are the same as vacation days?

either way, feel better kochi!

skettios on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    thought i remembered seeing a portland engineer on here at some point:

Product Design Engineer - Portland, OR
    Blount International, Inc. has a great opportunity for an experienced Product Design Engineer, located at our headquarters in Portland, OR. We are looking for a motivated individual who wants to be part of our dynamic growth.

We are a leading manufacturer of equipment, accessories and replacement parts for the global forestry, garden and construction industries. We sell our products in more than 100 countries around the world.

We stand for excellence in employees, products, markets, service, and profit. We value: our employees and their contribution to our success; product innovation and product quality; continuous improvements through total quality management; environmentally sound and responsible business practices; honesty, integrity and social responsibility; trust, respect, accountability; and customer service.

We offer a superior competitive advantage and a leading market share position; an exciting place to work with challenging and rewarding projects; a passion for seeking, maintaining and developing leadership positions in substantial niche markets with strong growth opportunities; and a tradition of innovative excellence

The Product Design Engineer applies extensive technical expertise to develop new and improve existing product designs, which includes development, analysis, prototyping, and testing.

In this position you will plan, conduct and implement product research, development, prototyping and testing to create superior designs of new and/or upgraded products for complex or high impact product designs., using Pro – E 3-D CAD modeling software.

You will perform extensive engineering design analyses to determine appropriate targets and tolerances for product specifications, and you will work closely with a wide variety of internal and external customers to define, meet, or exceed design parameters.

QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
    •A minimum of five years of relevant mechanical product design experience including exposure to and proficiency in multiple engineering disciplines.
    •Advanced knowledge of mechanical manufacturing processes highly preferred.
    •Solid hands on experience with FEA, GD&T, Dynamics Analysis, SPC, and high speed assembly fabrication analysis desired.
    •Experience with heat treat metallurgy, hydraulics, or pneumatics is a plus.
    •Proficiency with 3-D modeling is required (Pro-E or SolidWorks strongly preferred).
    •Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent Engineering degree is required.

For a full job description and to apply online, please go to www.blount.com/careers.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    skettios wrote: »

Everyone is sick.

no sick days??
    oh, are you on the PTO system? where all your sick days are the same as vacation days?

either way, feel better kochi!

Because my work is technically considered to be a live action film thing, and I'm contract, I only get paid for the days I show up... which is sort of nonsense, but I'm getting the day off tomorrow paid to go to the doctor for an ultrasound

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    skettios wrote: »

i dunno.

Some people grow out of it, others come up with decent coping mechanisms, others don't do either /shrug
    I'm on adderall xr right now. I want to talk to my doc bout getting it to last longer.
    I get the appetite suppression, but I have a routine for food so that's not an issue anymore (was a big problem in college.. forgot to eat all the time and then I'd wonder why I was shaking and had a headache,e tc)

i guess i also just dunno how to bring it up and my parents are, rightly, of the mind that less meds the better.. and i did get good grades and graduate from a good school etc without them so perhaps i'm better off without medicine if i can avoid it
    but man
    holy crap
    its been like 4 hours since ive done any work, see
    story of my life
    except now i'm at a job and it's even more important than school

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm trying to avoid any stimulant prescriptions if possible. I know it will make it potentially more challenging, but I'll manage through it.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Because my work is technically considered to be a live action film thing, and I'm contract, I only get paid for the days I show up... which is sort of nonsense, but I'm getting the day off tomorrow paid to go to the doctor for an ultrasound

:shock:

Who's the father kochi?!

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kitchens have ruined me for life.

I hate my job some days, but in times that I'm, say, injured or whatnot and I spend a few days not on the line I go a little bugshit. Eustress junkie.

So the hours are hellish, I spend entirely too much time on my feet (one of which is broken), the pay is crap, and I've given myself some truly horrifying burns (less horrifying ones are a daily occurrence)...

But booze is free, my coworkers are amazing, I don't need to work out to stay in shape, we listen to awesome music all the time, and my restaurant comes equipped with a basement that includes a shower, ash trays, usually a fifth of some sort of liquor, a pool table, and the equivalent to a punk rock frat house so the kitchen can put a home away from home in one of the graffitied lockers.

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

:shock:

Who's the father kochi?!

You sound worried

Kochikens on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    this is going to be a very unpleasant drive home.

cadmunky on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    another government perk: 2 hour early dismissals for frozen rain woooo

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    lostwords wrote: »
    another government perk: 2 hour early dismissals for frozen rain woooo

we got it too. which means i'll leave at 4.

unpleasant!

cadmunky on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    dang, you should leave now, snow's supposed to come by then!

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    it stopped snowing

i hope the frozen rain is a lie in nyc

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Two hours until my four day weekend starts. I am excited.

Yukira on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    lostwords wrote: »
    dang, you should leave now, snow's supposed to come by then!

i'm already screwed. traffic is just now starting to build up.

cadmunky on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And now I have everything I need for the Transition to Teaching program here.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hurrah I've got a new freelance contract in the works! Already! That is good!

The bad news is these clowns expect me to work part of it pro bono as a gesture of good faith

How's this, you pay me in advance and then I'll do the work. No? But it's the same damn thing

Back to the drawing board I guess

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That sounds sort of wrong :-/

but yay for work and yay for contract

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Gonna be a teacher then?

Good luck.

Yukira on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    a friend's friend has the best arrangement

one day a week this guy, who has this fetish, will come and clean her apartment
    and she sits there and reads while he cleans here apartment
    and the guy pays her 200 dollars for this privilege

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yukira wrote: »

Gonna be a teacher then?

Good luck.

I've wanted to for a while now and GA has a transition to teaching program. I'm getting my reference letters square now and then I'll have everything I need to apply.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

He's planting hidden cameras around her house while he "cleans".

He has a website dedicated to her that is raking in $texas.

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Woohoo, my one reference just got back to me to say she'd write a glowing reference because she thinks I'd be a great teacher. Now to hear from the other one.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sticks wrote: »

At least she's still making 200 bucks to get her house cleaned.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gafoto wrote: »

leads to an important question.... does he bring his own cleaning stuff, or is she expected to provide him with the bleach and windex?

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gafoto wrote: »

leads to an important question.... does he bring his own cleaning stuff, or is she expected to provide him with the bleach and windex?

THAT'S the important question?! No it's: who is this man and how do I contact him. I'd be willing to do this for half the price. Maybe even a quarter!

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You sound worried

Always be worryin'.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Interview tomorrow at 11 for an HR Asst position!

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ahh man thank god

So I've been jobless ever since I got back from Japan, way back in August. Been doing odd jobs here and there, but nothing steady. I've been in touch with my old company, trying to figure out the possibility of me coming back to work for them, but they've been slow balls about it (understandably). Met with the president and others, but nothing solid on the table.

I had kind of reached the point where if I didn't find something full-time by the start of March, I would be in seriously deep shit financially. And finally today I get a call from my old company, offering me a full-time position starting March 1. And I'm likely going to come in and manage the team I used to be part of, which is pretty boss

Going from getting rejected for entry-level data entry and server positions, to possibly being creative content manager of a (small, admittedly) game publisher is pretty sweeeet. Plus, the ability to pay bills

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Congrats!

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks!

I don't actually post in here, like ever, but I have read like every job thread for the past year and am silently pulling for everyone. This was the longest I've been unemployed since high school, and it is awful

Houk the Namebringer on
This discussion has been closed.