As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd recommend you rotate the deadlift/squat every other week. Especially with a leg heavy workout like Muay Thai.

You can also just shift. I.e., do Bench/Squat/Press/Deadlift in that order and just let the days you do the workouts shift around during the week.

Week 1: B/S/P
    Week 2: D/B/S
    Week 3: P/D/B
    etc.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd recommend you rotate the deadlift/squat every other week. Especially with a leg heavy workout like Muay Thai.

You can also just shift. I.e., do Bench/Squat/Press/Deadlift in that order and just let the days you do the workouts shift around during the week.

Week 1: B/S/P
    Week 2: D/B/S
    Week 3: P/D/B
    etc.

Good stuff, thanks! So two weeks at the same weight then step up?

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nah. You just follow the regular 5/3/1 progression. You're just working your way through the days as you get to them. So it's more like 1.5 weeks between the same movement workout.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Got ya and good stuff, really looking forward to getting back on track. Also, and this might be slightly off topic, because Im sure there's a PA cooking thread, but we have a bit different things we look for in food then a lot of people, anyone have a website with some good big man food recipes? I really need to find some new stuff to cook up, eating is the toughest part for me.

And some day we need to have someone make up PA Big Men t-shirts and meet up for drinks

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Got ya and good stuff, really looking forward to getting back on track. Also, and this might be slightly off topic, because Im sure there's a PA cooking thread, but we have a bit different things we look for in food then a lot of people, anyone have a website with some good big man food recipes? I really need to find some new stuff to cook up, eating is the toughest part for me.

And some day we need to have someone make up PA Big Men t-shirts and meet up for drinks

I'd be down for a PNW bigman hangout. Also dude learn to love eggs. I've learned how to make all kinds of delicious omelette's and scrambles. Looking into making quiches now as well. Can't get enough eggs.

put on 3lbs this month. Not good when I'm trying to lose! My eating has been shit though. Got to get back on track with my calorie goals.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    webguy20 wrote: »

I'd be down for a PNW bigman hangout. Also dude learn to love eggs. I've learned how to make all kinds of delicious omelette's and scrambles. Looking into making quiches now as well. Can't get enough eggs.

put on 3lbs this month. Not good when I'm trying to lose! My eating has been shit though. Got to get back on track with my calorie goals.

Ive been doing a dozen hardboiled egg whites a day, Im paranoid about colesterol ((mine jumped WAY up awhile back)) so been avoiding the yolks but yeah, eggs rock

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited January 2011

Ive been doing a dozen hardboiled egg whites a day, Im paranoid about colesterol ((mine jumped WAY up awhile back)) so been avoiding the yolks but yeah, eggs rock

I'd say look at tuna, halibut and salmon then as well. Great protein souces. One of my favorite things is marinated halibut from Trader Joes over a bed of wild rice with a couple spoonfuls of pico de gallo.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I'd say look at tuna, halibut and salmon then as well. Great protein souces. One of my favorite things is marinated halibut from Trader Joes over a bed of wild rice with a couple spoonfuls of pico de gallo.

This sounds pretty awesome. I love pico de gallo, gonna see if I cant get this going this week.

Oh hey also, should M/W/F for 5/3/1 with Tu/Th for muay thai? I can lift any day of the week but the muay thai days are kinda locked in place.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chess I'd like to take this opportunity to extol the virtues of cheap-ass dried beans. My current favorite is black beans: you can get a 16 oz bag around here for $1.50ish and nutritionally they're fucking great. I mean in 1/4 cup there's 9g of protein and 15g of fiber, so to compare to a cup of chicken:

1 cup chicken: 5g fat, 119 mg of cholesterol, 0g fiber, 43g protein.
    1 cup black beans: 0g fat, 0g cholesterol, 60g fiber, 36g protein.

Those are approximations of course but still.

In summation beans: they'll make you big, they'll make you regular, and they'll ensure that you're left alone at work by creating your own personal biohazard zone. What's not to love?

Peen on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh I fucking love black beans. In fact, today's lunch is black beans in a chilli sauce with tuna and sweetcorn. It looks like shit but it is delicious.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh I fucking love black beans. In fact, today's lunch is black beans in a chilli sauce with tuna and sweetcorn. It looks like shit but it is delicious.

explain me how you made your lunch

i need more lunch ideas

seriously all i ever bring when im not too lazy to bring lunch is salads

also, knee strengthening stuff is going well i guess, keeping at it

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I wonder how well this would work for a person like myself looking to consistently burn fat.

Utlimate cardio solution

I love T-nation, always trying to sell me stuff. :P nice thing is I do have a treadmill at home, so this would be easy to try.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ughh, not sure what I did but my knee is acting up again. Hurts to bend it, but I can still walk.

Had a meniscus tear when I was younger, but haven't had trouble with it aside from some cracking and popping for years.

Ughhhhhhh.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    knees blow bro

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder how well this would work for a person like myself looking to consistently burn fat.

Utlimate cardio solution

I love T-nation, always trying to sell me stuff. :P nice thing is I do have a treadmill at home, so this would be easy to try.

I'm curious as to how well this would work without buying Mag-10. I mean, I'm much more inclined to just get caffeine pills than some weird supplement.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Woo, first day snowboarding this season (got a medallion from a coworker, so it only cost me $9 total, for boot rental!)

It was pretty fantastic, but dang, I am out of snowboarding-shape.

Now to rest for a few hours and go to the gym for squats and power cleans! Wooooo!

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Invincible wrote: »

Utlimate cardio solution

I'm curious as to how well this would work without buying Mag-10. I mean, I'm much more inclined to just get caffeine pills than some weird supplement.

I'm surprised you guys even read the whole article. I read until I get to Anaconda Protocol or Mag-10 or whatever other supplement is the point of the article and then I stop.

Peen on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peen wrote: »
    Invincible wrote: »

Utlimate cardio solution

I'm surprised you guys even read the whole article. I read until I get to Anaconda Protocol or Mag-10 or whatever other supplement is the point of the article and then I stop.
    It seems easy, and the actual workout is, but performed in a fasted state with the addition of caffeine and one other tactical supplement, this method can rip off excess body fat while protecting lean body mass.

"tactical" is by far my favorite word in fitness huckstership. Anytime anything in fitness is ever described as "tactical", you know you are dealing with a load of bullshit.

Edit: And his "secret fatloss method" is going for a walk in the morning before breakfast. Yeah, no one's ever done that before. T Nation is trolling their readership at this point.

big l on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    But Mag-10
    Stimulates the Greatest Anabolic Pulsing Effect for Muscle Growth

Bro, you'll totally get yourself shredded in no time by pulsing your anabolics!

T-Nation is always a mix of pure crap and decent articles from the few people who know what they're writing about.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    When I did the weightloss what I found worked really well for me was basically what that article suggested, except I was doing lifting sets instead of walking. Still, I woke up, took caffeine without nutrition and did the workout. I then took a hearty dose of protein and carbs afterwards.

A duck! on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey bigmen, back lifting after a month off to recover. Haven't really lost strength, so that's good.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yay unloading microcycle. I start my competition phase this saturday with, you guessed it, my next competition.

As such work is being cut down by 1/4 to a 1/3 this cycle to freshen myself up. I'm feeling very poppy and quick right now.

4x25m sprint, 15m float, 30m sprint.
    3x stiff legged bounds
    Also lifting gets cut down as well in sets, reps and % of max.

Powercleans, 4x2- 255, 275, 275, 275
    3x5double leg bounds
    Squats (parallel)- 3x4 @ 385 405, 385
    medball throws

Jyardana on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Final bench press set today: 5x195#
    Body Weight: 187#

I started a year and a half ago at BW 240# and bench at 115#

Just had to tell someone, gonna go celebrate by eating a chicken breast and salad

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You should celebrate.

Add some brown rice.

That's great. Just keep grinding away and you'll get even more on the bar.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That's some nice weight loss and strength gain, Yo...Walrus...YSTW...whatever!

Saw a dude load up 2 45s on each side on the smith machine today

Then he put the pad on the bar

Then he did not-quite-low-enough-to-be-quarter squats

But it was still pretty amazing to see someone other than me do a weighted lower body exercise

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    moocow wrote: »
    Woo, first day snowboarding this season (got a medallion from a coworker, so it only cost me $9 total, for boot rental!)

It was pretty fantastic, but dang, I am out of snowboarding-shape.

Now to rest for a few hours and go to the gym for squats and power cleans! Wooooo!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Final bench press set today: 5x195#
    Body Weight: 187#

I started a year and a half ago at BW 240# and bench at 115#

Just had to tell someone, gonna go celebrate by eating a chicken breast and salad

This is excellent!

Jyardana on
  • Options
    CarthageCarthage Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hello bigman thread! I coming seeking your collective wisdom.

I feel like I'm not really working my lateral triceps head.

For clarication:
    TricepsOutside.gif

I'm trying to hit number 2 there. The 1/3 area has developed nicely as I've been working out, but 2 just stays the same. I'm not sure I can even recall it ever being sore.

The main lifts I do that hit the triceps are skullcrushers, dips, and bench press. Any suggestions for what I can do to hit the lateral head? Or should I already be feeling it in the lifts I'm already doing?

Carthage on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    When I did the weightloss what I found worked really well for me was basically what that article suggested, except I was doing lifting sets instead of walking. Still, I woke up, took caffeine without nutrition and did the workout. I then took a hearty dose of protein and carbs afterwards.

yea pretty much this. I ignored the super supplement or whatever the hell it was trying to sell me. Going to see how work before food works for me, though when I was lifting big before breakfast it seemed to help, now I have to work out later in the day though so maybe getting some exercise again before food might help.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Carthage wrote: »
    Hello bigman thread! I coming seeking your collective wisdom.

I feel like I'm not really working my lateral triceps head.

For clarication:
    TricepsOutside.gif

I'm trying to hit number 2 there. The 1/3 area has developed nicely as I've been working out, but 2 just stays the same. I'm not sure I can even recall it ever being sore.

The main lifts I do that hit the triceps are skullcrushers, dips, and bench press. Any suggestions for what I can do to hit the lateral head? Or should I already be feeling it in the lifts I'm already doing?

I think you'd want close grip bench for that. If I have the energy/time I do that as the final exercise on chest days, although I can also get some soreness out of it on heavy DB rows. I'm not sure I'm supposed to, though.

A duck! on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks guys :) I'm happy with myself today.

Re: the triceps, one exercise I like is the overhead extension with a dumbbell. It seems to me that it hits that area more than other triceps exercises I do, and you get a little bit of shoulder work as a bonus. Might be worth a try.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Xego wrote: »
    Alrighty, got the book on Friday, read it a bit. Everything looked good. Actually went to the gym today for the first time. I'm not sure how much the bar weighs so I don't know what the total weight was but I started at 60 lbs squatting, 40 lbs benching, and 90 lbs deadlifts. Squatting was probably the most fulfilling to do. Made sure to get real deep doing those. I've never been a real strong chested guy so the benches were about what I expected. Deadlifts on the other hand... those took me a while to figure out. First off I was using my back which I knew was wrong. I had to mime out the movement without a bar a few times and that seemed to help. I think I got the hang of it by the time I was finished though. I can already feel that I'm going to be super sore tomorrow. Not looking forward to that but you gotta get through it right? I don't think they do power cleans at this gym so I'll probably end up doing the program without those.

So now we get to what I should be doing outside of the gym. I'm pretty skinny but I do have a little bit of belly fat that I'm not too fond of. What kind of calorie count should I be shooting for? Cardio? Theres something I've been hearing about eating clean or dirty? What kinds of foods should I be eating? Basically what should the rest of my lifestyle be now if I want to be in shape and look good and whatnot?

First off, good work on getting in there and under the bar. Follow the program and the advice in the book and you'll be on the right track with your training.

The bar will typically weigh 20kg (45lb).

I think your post got lost in there somewhere but it raised an interesting question of where to start as a beginner when it comes to nutrition. No doubt someone can summarise it in a few sentences (whole foods, high protein, kick out the sugars, portion control etc) but I'd be interested in the rest of the thread's views on where to start with this when it comes to actual reading (then I can steal it, throw it in the OP and take all the credit). I found Good Calories Bad Calories to be hells of interesting, but a little dense at times.

My go-to for most beginner reading is Brain over brawn. I found it to be quite a helpful summary of an all-round approach to fitness.

Other things which I have found interesting enough to bookmark in my 'Nutrition' folder are apparently:

Edit: I just realised that there were more questions there. Clean/Dirty eating refers to how someone is getting their calories. I can get my 2500 by eating lots of lean meat, whole unprocessed foods and heaps of vegetables or I can sack a series of grand angus burgers at McDonalds. Both approaches get me my required calories for the day but the first is 'clean' and the second is 'dirty' (and one tends to put on a bit of fat through this approach).

Cardio - yes. How much is up to you. I do very little but I am a lardass. I might add more to this but dinner just got served up

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

i need more lunch ideas

You will like this, because it is one of my lazy-man meals.

1 can black beans in mild chilli sauce
    1 can tuna
    1/2 can sweet corn

Mix. Eat. You could even heat it up if you want.

Here follows me giving more shitty recipes away
    A while ago I was putting together a 'Bigman Playbook' of cheap, simple meals that fit my high-protein kick. What are my other lazy man meals. Let me see.

1 can salmon
    3 eggs scrambled
    Either - 2-3 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce OR 2-3 tablespoons of curry powder

I know that sounds fucking awful but the curry one especially is surprisingly tasty.

1 can tuna
    2 hardboiled eggs
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    2-3 tablespoons of honey-mustard dressing

Mix up. Chow down. Very good cold.

My spicy tuna stew is good too.

1 can tuna
    1 can diced tomatos
    1/2 can borlotti beans (or black beans or whatever)
    Couple of cloves garlic, chopped
    Tablespoon of basil
    Tablespoon of paprika

Cook that one in a frypan to get everything mixed right.

Also, dude, get a slow cooker and start making chilli. That is a week of awesome, cheap, easy meals in one go.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Chili and also stews are a great way to eat well. thick hearty and brimming with good stuff. I need to bust out the slow cooker more myself.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Nevermind.

jklong on
  • Options
    BranuBranu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heres a couple recipes I make every now and again. I tend to make things in bulk because I love leftovers!

Beef mush

2 pounds of ground sirloin
    2 cans of beans in chili sauce
    1 can of salsa (use fresh stuff if you can, its so much better)
    1 box of minute rice

Cook that shit and mix it all together. Pretty sure it may be absolutely terrible for you, but goddamn if it isn't tasty

This one's far better for you and even simpler

Crockpot chicken chili

2 chicken breasts
    1 can of corn
    2 cans of beans
    3 cans of Rotel
    whatever spices you want, throw in a taco seasoning packet if you're lazy as hell like me

throw all that stuff in the crock pot and place the breasts on top. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred the breasts and give the chili a stir.

Tempted to throw up my recipe for chicken carbonara too, but that may not be Bigman Approved as it involves a 1/2 pound of bacon!

Branu on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ok, after cycling off creatine for a bit (variety of reasons), I have found out that it added at least 2kgs of extra water weight... !!!!

Was over 200, now back down again. These last couple of pounds are causing me much consternation :x

Docken on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

i need more lunch ideas

You will like this, because it is one of my lazy-man meals.

1 can black beans in mild chilli sauce
    1 can tuna
    1/2 can sweet corn

Mix. Eat. You could even heat it up if you want.

Here follows me giving more shitty recipes away
    A while ago I was putting together a 'Bigman Playbook' of cheap, simple meals that fit my high-protein kick. What are my other lazy man meals. Let me see.

1 can salmon
    3 eggs scrambled
    Either - 2-3 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce OR 2-3 tablespoons of curry powder

I know that sounds fucking awful but the curry one especially is surprisingly tasty.

1 can tuna
    2 hardboiled eggs
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    2-3 tablespoons of honey-mustard dressing

Mix up. Chow down. Very good cold.

My spicy tuna stew is good too.

1 can tuna
    1 can diced tomatos
    1/2 can borlotti beans (or black beans or whatever)
    Couple of cloves garlic, chopped
    Tablespoon of basil
    Tablespoon of paprika

Cook that one in a frypan to get everything mixed right.

Also, dude, get a slow cooker and start making chilli. That is a week of awesome, cheap, easy meals in one go.
    i appreciate your ideas for ghetto easy meals

today i have yet another salad, with a can of tuna and lots of goat cheese for protein, but it bores me and is not warm

so your ideas are good

what do you mean by "mild chili sauce"

i have slow cooker i just haven't used it tons. i need to buy some freezer containers to freeze chili in so i can make it en masse.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    also, so tempted to go snowboarding this weekend

so tempted

i'm almost at the 1 year mark

but i guess i probably shouldn't

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, trueprotein.com is redonkulous. I thought it was just a protein site with custom made solutions. Then I went to the part where you can make your own. The amount of shit you can put in is crazy. It doesn't even have to be protein, you can make your own bcaa, creatine, or preworkout drink. I can see why a lot of bodybuilders would enjoy this place. You can add whatever kinds of fats or carbs, and every type of protein you would ever want into your own mix.

I had a little extra cash this month, so I followed Shelby Starnes advice and got the teamskip formula

34% whey isolate
    33% casein
    33% egg white

Chocolate peanut butter cup. For 5 pounds came to about $65 dollars with a 5% coupon. So yeah, it's a bit more than I'd like to spend, but i'll give it a shot.

Brucelee41042 on
This discussion has been closed.