As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To those of you following my newsletter, here is another ghetto nutrition tip - have a girlfriend

Whelp, I'm fucked.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »
    To those of you following my newsletter, here is another ghetto nutrition tip - have a girlfriend

Whelp, I'm fucked.

:winky:

My woman works at a pizza place. Thank you sweet baby jesus.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Well okay then. The Vitamin Shoppe brand whey I use has all three of those BCAA's, and in approximately those quantities per scoop; I use four scoops in any event, so I'm definitely getting enough if J's suggestion is a good guideline. I've also been supplementing l-glutamine for moths now.

Shock and awe, that guy at Vitamin Shoppe was just trying to get me to buy a separate BCAA powder for his own sake!

I take the bcaa plus carbs, creatine and beta alanine first before anything else. i take protein about 30 min after. the carbs and bcaa's do the brunt of the work and I prefer having the heavy hitters getting first crack at absorption.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Well okay then. The Vitamin Shoppe brand whey I use has all three of those BCAA's, and in approximately those quantities per scoop; I use four scoops in any event, so I'm definitely getting enough if J's suggestion is a good guideline. I've also been supplementing l-glutamine for moths now.

Shock and awe, that guy at Vitamin Shoppe was just trying to get me to buy a separate BCAA powder for his own sake!

I take the bcaa plus carbs, creatine and beta alanine first before anything else. i take protein about 30 min after. the carbs and bcaa's do the brunt of the work and I prefer having the heavy hitters getting first crack at absorption.

I hope to reach a high enough level of skill to require serious supplementation to achieve that last few % of performance.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So one year of weight lifting without any breaks, and then starting up Rugby at the end of the season and now Muay thai, I've learned one important thing for anyone new reading this thread.

Do NOT slack off on the stretching.

Seriously. You'll regret it.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So one year of weight lifting without any breaks, and then starting up Rugby at the end of the season and now Muay thai, I've learned one important thing for anyone new reading this thread.

I'm still looking for a good post workout stretch routine, as well as a general one for just around the house.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh my god, I pulled my left ass tonight doing chinups.

Why god, why!?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    webguy20 wrote: »

I'm still looking for a good post workout stretch routine, as well as a general one for just around the house.

I didn't find a stretching routine I really liked until I started muay thai, shoulder dislocates are *amazing* for chest stretches and helping posture and really helped me. I'll look around and see if I can find a good link for you but someonehere might now a bit better, I really thought I was alright going into muay thai.

Basically it went like this, I went and lifted, said 'wow, I'm in kick ass shape, I'm gonna play rugby!'

Then I played rugby and realized my hamstring flexibility sucked, so I focused on that, rugby season ended.

So I said, 'Wow I'm in kick ass shape, I'm gonna learn muay thai!'

Then I started Muay Thai and realized my hip flexibility sucked.

So working on that, then eventually I'll find some other new thing and realize I screwed up by forgetting to stretch something else.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Hahahaha Ass cramps!

webguy20 on
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Greetings, biggest of men.

I've been on a workout regimen for about two months. It focuses mainly on running, ab work, and push ups. I work the arms with free weights from time to time. Its working nicely for me, I've built up the arms and stomach while loosing most of the fat I have to loose. Reading this thread has made me want to get in on the lifting side of things, as I suspect I'm not doing my upper body justice.

My problem: besides a bench press, my apartment's gym only has free weights. Are there any substitutes for lifts and pull ups I can do with only free weights?

saluksic on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    saluksic wrote: »
    Greetings, biggest of men.

I've been on a workout regimen for about two months. It focuses mainly on running, ab work, and push ups. I work the arms with free weights from time to time. Its working nicely for me, I've built up the arms and stomach while loosing most of the fat I have to loose. Reading this thread has made me want to get in on the lifting side of things, as I suspect I'm not doing my upper body justice.

My problem: besides a bench press, my apartment's gym only has free weights. Are there any substitutes for lifts and pull ups I can do with only free weights?

when you say free weights you mean dumbells, and not barbells correct?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jyardana wrote: »

I hope to reach a high enough level of skill to require serious supplementation to achieve that last few % of performance.

The downside is that those few % are fucking hard to find and might not be found at all. Genetic limits are fucking annoying.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Or you just wait till everyone else is dead. Then it's all gravy.

65 Year Old Deadlifting

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My goal is to be the first on Mars and then I will set up a 100m dash and race. Fuck the world record. I'll have the solar systemic record.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    god, some of my friends are going snowboarding this weekend
    i am so tempted to go but i know i shouldn't so i won't

sigh, prolly won't even be able to go till next year

it will get better eventually, right?!

:(

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Running pshaw. This is what I call cardio, at 3:11:

This looks unpleasant

big l on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    "it's only about 320, let's go"

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My workout partner was complaining that he hasn't had time to get any cardio in this week.

So we finished off with sets of hang cleans to front squats. Kept it light, just one plate, but we did do 3 sets of 20. I think he was ready to puke halfway through the first set.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zercher holds appear to be an exercise in pain management more than anything else.

In other news I biked home 10 miles from work today. Post exercise supplement of choice?

Beer.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Anything Zercher is an exercise in pain management. So are heavy farmer carries.

My friend who's the crazy cyclist and does double centuries swears by a belgian duvel or trippel as his recovery drink.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I swear by a trippel as my anything drink

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    My post century drink was usually a screwdriver. I did a double century once and afterwards omitted the unnecessary orange juice.

A duck! on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HALP! I am teh injureds

On the crotch, I feel it when I run or do something explosive. I feel it from the back of my butt through the crotch and even in my dick! It feels weird. halp?

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    hectorse wrote: »
    HALP! I am teh injureds

On the crotch, I feel it when I run or do something explosive. I feel it from the back of my butt through the crotch and even in my dick! It feels weird. halp?

dude it sounds like you strained your groin muscle. I hope you didn't though, cuz thats a shitty injury.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    HALP! I am teh injureds

dude it sounds like you strained your groin muscle. I hope you didn't though, cuz thats a shitty injury.

What's the recovery?

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    HALP! I am teh injureds

What's the recovery?

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/hip_groin/a/hip2.htm

like anything else though, you should probably see a doc if its bad enough.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's not that bad

RICE? ok

hectorse on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Know what reminds you that you have been a slack bastard and should never have stopped lifting, and that returning is the smartest thing you could've done?

Deadlifts.

Christ I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Know what reminds you that you have been a slack bastard and should never have stopped lifting, and that returning is the smartest thing you could've done?

Deadlifts.

Yea deadlifts are always what give me DOMS the worst. They just beat you up.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you've been needing to pick up a new belt, EliteFTS is having a 25% off sale on a bunch of stuff, belts included.

I picked up a No. 3 CoC gripper. A man can always dream.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    heh, cock gripper

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    oh i forgot i bought one of those grippers, the baby trainy model, i should use that again, i used that last year but after school ended i forgot about it

gotta find it

you know, i was thinking, if i buy a good knee brace i could go snowboarding
    it wasn't a major injury and it was a year ago and i've been doing workouts since like, mid september
    i will see what a doctor says i guess

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Guys, can you settle an argument I've been having with a friend? When doing cleans, is it necessary to drop into a front squat at the top of the clean?

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    why would it be necessary

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well her argument is that when you get to really high weight dropping into a front squat helps you catch it better, she also claims that is how Olympic lifters do them. Also thats how she was taught to do them in high school by the lifting coach. The guy was really huge and really into lifting so I don't think he was talking out of his ass, but who knows.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Deadlifts.

Really? Deadlifts don't bother me at all, squats are what wrecks me.

My trainer COC just got here, the shipping got futzed up and I got the #1 and 2 before the one I can actually close. I'm close on the #1 but it's not quite there. I'm looking forward to finally having that manly handshake of my dreams.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Peen wrote: »

Deadlifts.

Really? Deadlifts don't bother me at all, squats are what wrecks me.

My trainer COC just got here, the shipping got futzed up and I got the #1 and 2 before the one I can actually close. I'm close on the #1 but it's not quite there. I'm looking forward to finally having that manly handshake of my dreams.

Ive only started doing squats recently so they aren't up to the weight yet that wrecks me. Soon though!

webguy20 on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Invincible wrote: »
    Guys, can you settle an argument I've been having with a friend? When doing cleans, is it necessary to drop into a front squat at the top of the clean?

I understood that to be the difference between a clean and a power clean

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It seems like when you're working with maximal weights that you absolutely have to squat when you catch the bar. It seems incredibly difficult to clean 300+ lbs. and remain perfectly upright.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It seems like when you're working with maximal weights that you absolutely have to squat when you catch the bar. It seems incredibly difficult to clean 300+ lbs. and remain perfectly upright.

Cue Jim Wendler

Peen on
This discussion has been closed.