As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight training thread [WEIGHT TRAINING THREAD] thread

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of BCAAs:

How much should I be taking in? My whey comes with ostensibly all the essential BCAAs, but this dude at Vitamin Shoppe was talking me up on buying a separate BCAA powder. Conflict of interests aside... is it worth going out of my way to get extra BCAA? If so, which specifically should I be seeking more of? I know leucine is apparently the bee's-knees, but should I just be looking for more of ALL of them?

EDIT: Jesus H. Christ how long is this jailing for anyway.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, trueprotein.com is redonkulous. I thought it was just a protein site with custom made solutions. Then I went to the part where you can make your own. The amount of shit you can put in is crazy. It doesn't even have to be protein, you can make your own bcaa, creatine, or preworkout drink. I can see why a lot of bodybuilders would enjoy this place. You can add whatever kinds of fats or carbs, and every type of protein you would ever want into your own mix.

I had a little extra cash this month, so I followed Shelby Starnes advice and got the teamskip formula

34% whey isolate
    33% casein
    33% egg white

Chocolate peanut butter cup. For 5 pounds came to about $65 dollars with a 5% coupon. So yeah, it's a bit more than I'd like to spend, but i'll give it a shot.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder just how important fancy protein is. I mean it'd be cool if I could afford it but is the cheap ass stuff really that much worse if you're not mr. athlete guy? Being the Joe Casual Weightlifter like I am I've always figured I could get away with the regular old whey powder I've been using.

Peen on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You're probably right. The only thing I know for sure is that casein makes me fuller. So I can take this before bed and it'll help with the hunger pains that wake me up sometimes.

As for the egg white protein, I don't really know.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I missed my first workout of the year yesterday. Hooray for surprise appendectomies!

I am allowed to lift a whole 10 lbs now!

[Michael] on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh I fucking love black beans. In fact, today's lunch is black beans in a chilli sauce with tuna and sweetcorn. It looks like shit but it is delicious.

explain me how you made your lunch

i need more lunch ideas

seriously all i ever bring when im not too lazy to bring lunch is salads

also, knee strengthening stuff is going well i guess, keeping at it

You will like this, because it is one of my lazy-man meals.

1 can black beans in mild chilli sauce
    1 can tuna
    1/2 can sweet corn

Mix. Eat. You could even heat it up if you want.

Here follows me giving more shitty recipes away
    A while ago I was putting together a 'Bigman Playbook' of cheap, simple meals that fit my high-protein kick. What are my other lazy man meals. Let me see.

1 can salmon
    3 eggs scrambled
    Either - 2-3 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce OR 2-3 tablespoons of curry powder

I know that sounds fucking awful but the curry one especially is surprisingly tasty.

1 can tuna
    2 hardboiled eggs
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    2-3 tablespoons of honey-mustard dressing

Mix up. Chow down. Very good cold.

My spicy tuna stew is good too.

1 can tuna
    1 can diced tomatos
    1/2 can borlotti beans (or black beans or whatever)
    Couple of cloves garlic, chopped
    Tablespoon of basil
    Tablespoon of paprika

Cook that one in a frypan to get everything mixed right.

Also, dude, get a slow cooker and start making chilli. That is a week of awesome, cheap, easy meals in one go.
    i appreciate your ideas for ghetto easy meals

today i have yet another salad, with a can of tuna and lots of goat cheese for protein, but it bores me and is not warm

so your ideas are good

what do you mean by "mild chili sauce"

i have slow cooker i just haven't used it tons. i need to buy some freezer containers to freeze chili in so i can make it en masse.

I would also like to subscribe to TheRealBadger's newsletter.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, trueprotein.com is redonkulous. I thought it was just a protein site with custom made solutions. Then I went to the part where you can make your own. The amount of shit you can put in is crazy. It doesn't even have to be protein, you can make your own bcaa, creatine, or preworkout drink. I can see why a lot of bodybuilders would enjoy this place. You can add whatever kinds of fats or carbs, and every type of protein you would ever want into your own mix.

I had a little extra cash this month, so I followed Shelby Starnes advice and got the teamskip formula

34% whey isolate
    33% casein
    33% egg white

Chocolate peanut butter cup. For 5 pounds came to about $65 dollars with a 5% coupon. So yeah, it's a bit more than I'd like to spend, but i'll give it a shot.

So, if i were to mix my own post workout goodness, what kind of stuff would I want in it? Besides whey protein of course.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe some glutamine.

Beyond that, there's not a lot that has any proven results.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Invincible wrote: »

34% whey isolate
    33% casein
    33% egg white

So, if i were to mix my own post workout goodness, what kind of stuff would I want in it? Besides whey protein of course.

10% whey protein
    40% human growth hormone
    50% anabolic steroids

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Invincible wrote: »

34% whey isolate
    33% casein
    33% egg white

10% whey protein
    40% human growth hormone
    50% anabolic steroids

Come on man, don't forget the shark testosterone and powdered gorilla testes.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    InvincibleInvincible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man, I bet a gorilla-shark could squat a ton.

Invincible on
    3DS Friend Code: 2921-9194-1579

Let's make record. It will look like:
    Side A.
    1. Tomato Soup
    2. Grilled Cheese
    Side B.
    1. Naptime
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hrmmm, should I post my full supplement list?

edit- I think I shall!

Beta-alanine- 1.5g taken 3x a day

PostWO- creatine, glutamine, BCAAs, heafty amount of leucine, carbs

Bed time- casein protein

Now for the crazy stuff. During hard workout cycles I will take herbal adaptogen and natural hormone regulators to increase recovery. They are 100% wada legal and quite honestly I think they work wonders between the 3-8 week portion of the supp cycle.

Bioforge ProMax (discontinued but the new one looks very promising), ecdy+ashwaghanda, and piperine+curcumin to increase absorption and bioavailiblity.

Its also expensive as fuck.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Jyardana wrote: »
    It's also hard as fuck to pronounce.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This was a cool thread

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    morning gym gogogogo

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm starting up a proper workout routine as of this week. Two gym visits (monday and thursday, 350 yen each), judo on Saturday and Wednesday, and running on the off days. Plus biking everyday about 1.5 miles to school. GET BIG.
    I'm not actually trying to get big, just trying to get my cardio back to good levels plus some toning and strength on the side.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maybe some glutamine.

Beyond that, there's not a lot that has any proven results.

Yeah, or if you wanted to go for meal replacement/weight gainer, you could add in some carbs, waxy maize, and some fats maybe.

And Badge, that link is awesome.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i still need to buy my supplements since i am back to working out again

by supplements i mean whey protein

but if i ship a massive tub to work then i have to carry it home

and shipping things to my apt is a pain in the butt

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Started Stronglifts again after being out of the gym after 2+ months thanks to wedding and honeymoon.

Fuck it feels good to squat proper and deep again. I've missed the burn.

Edit: Fattyfatfat trying to be less so. 25, 6'5" and 290lbs. Eaugh, it looks horrible just putting it on paper.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i still need to buy my supplements since i am back to working out again

by supplements i mean whey protein

but if i ship a massive tub to work then i have to carry it home

and shipping things to my apt is a pain in the butt

hi5 man, apartments are the worst for that. The stupid office used to take packages but some dickbutts whined about stuff getting stolen out of the office so now they won't take anything and the ups guy just leaves things in the mailroom like that's better somehow.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i guess carrying a big tub of protein on the subway isn't so bad

or maybe i'll just get a smaller size so i don't need to worry

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Take it on the subway. Be sure to flex and grimace the entire time you're doing it.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i got this the last 2 times:
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Natural-Chocolate/dp/B000GIQT06/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1296060583&sr=8-9
    any reason i should bother with anything different

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Finding a sub shop that uses actual whole grain bread without any enriched wheat flour is like finding the holy grail.

I've heard myths that they exist, but I've yet to see one.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

BSN Syntha-6 is fucking delicious and tastes like a milkshake. I buy mine from Bodybuilding.com because for standard shipping I get it overnight thanks to one of their warehouses being in FL and I'm in GA.

That said I use ON 100% Whey for post-lifting nutrition. Syntha-6 is my Morning and Evening meals alongside some Chicken or Fish.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Finding a sub shop that uses actual whole grain bread without any enriched wheat flour is like finding the holy grail.

Let me know. I've gone to every single place and asked for nutrition info only to sigh and walk out.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been waiting for about 3 months to go back to the gym

I go back, drop my weight to about 3/4 of what I was working at before

and I have pulled my back

shit

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Let me know. I've gone to every single place and asked for nutrition info only to sigh and walk out.

It sucks! I've checked Jersey Mike's, Subway and Penn Station so far. They all offer "wheat" bread, which lists whole wheat at the first ingredient, then immediately lists enriched wheat flour as the second ingredient. I just... I can't figure out why you'd make bread with whole wheat, then turn around and use enriched wheat flour. It must be cheaper?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think tube's gonna stab knob for messing with the brackets again

mod fiiiiight!

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It sucks! I've checked Jersey Mike's, Subway and Penn Station so far. They all offer "wheat" bread, which lists whole wheat at the first ingredient, then immediately lists enriched wheat flour as the second ingredient. I just... I can't figure out why you'd make bread with whole wheat, then turn around and use enriched wheat flour. It must be cheaper?

It's a bit of a pain in the ass to make a true whole-grain bread on a large scale. It doesn't have as much gluten in the flours, so you have to either knead it more to get it to rise or use more yeast. And the texture doesn't always work so well. Enriched flour breads also have a longer shelf life.

Try looking for a good dark rye bread (if you don't mind it). If you get the really dark versions, it's usually pretty good on the whole grain front.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

BSN Syntha-6 is fucking delicious and tastes like a milkshake. I buy mine from Bodybuilding.com because for standard shipping I get it overnight thanks to one of their warehouses being in FL and I'm in GA.

That said I use ON 100% Whey for post-lifting nutrition. Syntha-6 is my Morning and Evening meals alongside some Chicken or Fish.

Interesting
    I may have to check that out

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I RDL'd over 400 for the first time tonight for reps of 3.

My back feels 100% as well and form was solid.

I can't wait to have sex with my new found thrusting ability.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i guess also there's the question of how much protein should i be taking if i'm not doing like weighted squats and deadlifts right now cuz my knee is still... annoying
    i guess it's important regardless, protein

also, man, plush benches at my gym are the most annoying, it is really hard to keep your back tight when the bench is plush
    it's just silly

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    SoulburnerSoulburner Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know if this link has been posted before but I came across it while searching the internet for help on getting a good snatch down and it has excellent how-to videos for cleans and snatches. The clean they show is the full clean but every part of it except going down into a front squat is the same as the power clean so I'd say give it a watch for anyone that wants to work on their cleans/snatches.

http://www.californiastrength.com/olwete.html

Soulburner on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hate this thread

it's taunting me

no longer in school=no free access to gym, just started a minimum wage job so I can't afford the membership fee right now, even with the alumni discount

been out of it for about a month and a half now

Scudo on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To those of you following my newsletter, here is another ghetto nutrition tip - have a girlfriend who eats less than a regular person. You will always get to finish the leftovers, which tonight was steak.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I never did get an answer to my BCAA question.

How much of the BCAA's (and of which specifically) is "enough?"

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    jklongjklong Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    I never did get an answer to my BCAA question.

How much of the BCAA's (and of which specifically) is "enough?"

From what I understand Leucine is the amino that has the largest muscle sparing/anabolic properties, the research supporting this has cropped up relatively recently I think. BCAA formulas tend to have Leucine in a 2:1:1 with isoleucine and valine, probably because that is how they are found naturally in the body.

As for dosages, the most common number I see thrown around is 1-2g/day. The timing of the dose seems to be what is most important.

jklong on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My PWO bcaa mix is 5g/2.5g/2.5g as well as 5g of glutamine

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well okay then. The Vitamin Shoppe brand whey I use has all three of those BCAA's, and in approximately those quantities per scoop; I use four scoops in any event, so I'm definitely getting enough if J's suggestion is a good guideline. I've also been supplementing l-glutamine for moths now.

Shock and awe, that guy at Vitamin Shoppe was just trying to get me to buy a separate BCAA powder for his own sake!

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    To those of you following my newsletter, here is another ghetto nutrition tip - have a girlfriend who eats less than a regular person. You will always get to finish the leftovers, which tonight was steak.

a g-girlfriend? is that like a supplement or something

Scudo on
This discussion has been closed.