Options

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Beware the Ides of March!

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yesterday I started doing planks again, with the realization that I can do it more than once! Did two 45 second ones (I think), then one 30 second one, then did two 30 second ones for each side.

My abs are sore. Beautifully sore.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    EDIT: And thank you for all you advice and bearing with my stubborn inability to listen to it for the last 3 or so months, because you've been a tremendous help.

No problem. I know I'm a big asshole sometimes, but I'm just trying to get people to realize how easy it is to change their bodies, regardless of where they start off. And I love doing it. So I'm pretty insistent.

And congrats on the weight loss so far. keep it up!

geckahn on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy shit, I totally tore a pair of my boxer shorts doing sqauts tonight. I'm like Prince wearing assless chaps at moment.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looks l'll be around 3 pounds lost for the weigh in which will put me closer to my goal of having lost 100 pounds. I think adding rock climbing to my workouts really lit a fire on me, combined with my training for an eventual 15k.

I also realized that I finally changed my mindset about excercise. It's not something I feel like I have to do, but it's something I enjoy doing. It became pretty evident since I always get down on myself close to Valentine day. As a fat guy I always assumed my horrendous luck with women was because of my weight and if someday I was able to lose the weight, those problems would be over. So when I did drop weight and nothing changed I often wondered what the point of trying was. Specially during this time.

Now I do it for myself and for how good it feels.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Females (well all genders really) tend to be attracted to mates that are confident. It sounds like you are gaining confidence with your weight loss, and that will likely be a larger factor in attracting a mate than the actual weight loss will be.

dzenith on
  • Options
    LetoatradsLetoatrads Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    dzenith wrote: »
    Females (well all genders really) tend to be attracted to mates that are confident. It sounds like you are gaining confidence with your weight loss, and that will likely be a larger factor in attracting a mate than the actual weight loss will be.

Agree 100% with the above statement. I'm finding in my old age it is definitely more the attitude than the weight...though it is very difficult to be confident when you have a poor self-image so they can be a bad combo.

I met my wife when I was 100 lbs lighter, in the gym daily, and was generally pretty fit. I've been happily married for 10 years now and I can say without a doubt that even as horribly out of shape as I am now, if I found myself back in the dating scene...meh, I wouldn't sweat it. Don't worry - you'll get there. You are doing great learning to be able to do the workout for the sake of it rather than for the perceived gain in the romance department.

So - to get back on topic a little bit...January 4th to today, down 37 Lbs. New goal is to be down 60 Lbs. by April 15th. Pretty much just been sticking to lo-carb ( 20-30g per day) and sporadically working out. I walk about 1.5 miles each day to work, and mixing in 3 or 4 days of either cardio or weights. Hopefully I'll be able to focus harder in the gym soon, but for now I am very pleased with the results that I mainly attribute to the dietary change.

Letoatrads on
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bad week for me. Scale says I went back up 2 pounds. A bit discouraged to see that but not enough to just give up.

I did drink far too many calories in alcohol at parties three of the days this week and then 2 of them we went and got take away. And two days I missed out on the gym. So blaaaaah

Time to add strength training into the regiment and if things go poorly next week probably looking at low-carb

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    Bad week for me. Scale says I went back up 2 pounds. A bit discouraged to see that but not enough to just give up.

I did drink far too many calories in alcohol at parties three of the days this week and then 2 of them we went and got take away. And two days I missed out on the gym. So blaaaaah

Time to add strength training into the regiment and if things go poorly next week probably looking at low-carb

I've had a total of alcohol 3 times over the past 3 weeks and each time I can drink less and less of it. It's kinda funny how the body adapts to differences so quickly at times.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »

I've had a total of alcohol 3 times over the past 3 weeks and each time I can drink less and less of it. It's kinda funny how the body adapts to differences so quickly at times.

I was a really good boy last week but then came the weekend and drinking and eating was plentiful. Now I feel like an ass.

Fuck.

Movitz on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Movitz wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote: »

I was a really good boy last week but then came the weekend and drinking and eating was plentiful. Now I feel like an ass.

Fuck.

It was my birthday party on Saturday. Two glasses of Laphroaig, chocolate fondue and baked Lays Scoops with Queso.

Bad Risen. :( But! You have a bad day? Get back on that wagon, tomorrow is another day.

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was down another two pounds this past week, which makes me happy. I've added some body weight exercises to go along with my change in eating habits. Man, I remember crunches, squats, and pushups being so much easier. I'm only doing three sets of 10 each, and I can barely move at the end. The way I figure it, I'll add an extra set of ten each month. Hopefully that will give my body time to adapt to this strange new thing called exercises, and I won't hurt myself too bad.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i weighed myself for the first time since like, i hurt my knee

gained a good 10-15 lbs somewhere around there

certainly none of it muscle because i hadnt worked out lots for most of the period between that injury and now

oh well

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    In five days I have lost four pounds. This...concerns me.

Basically, I was starting to plateau and so changed my diet so that I ate my BMR and didn't eat more to make up for exercise. My body fat has gone down 2-4% since I started weight loss (about a month and a half ago), but I cannot tell if that is normal or not.

I feel like today I should just order a pizza and have a binge day to be safe. Although I'm so close to 20 pounds lost...

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Water weight?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Would I really lose that much water weight this long into it? I know I dropped a lot of water weight in the beginning.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I thought anything more than ~2pounds a week generally means water weight.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, I won't worry about it then.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I need your help on the subject of weight training, ladies and gents.

I used to lift weights when I was younger, but I haven't done it regularly in a while. I need help finding a relatively simple weight plan that I can use in conjuction with a pretty good amount of running (about 25+ miles a week).

It doesn't need to be anything crazy or overly time consuming. I just want to work a little of everything and get lean. I'm not looking to get all Jay Cutler up in the weight room. I've been ignoring weight training for too long and I need to get back into it if I'm going to get my body where I want it to be.

I realize I could hit up bodybuilding.com and find something, but I'm guessing more than a couple of you have some workouts that you already use to good effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I used to lift weights when I was younger, but I haven't done it regularly in a while. I need help finding a relatively simple weight plan that I can use in conjuction with a pretty good amount of running (about 25+ miles a week).

It doesn't need to be anything crazy or overly time consuming. I just want to work a little of everything and get lean. I'm not looking to get all Jay Cutler up in the weight room. I've been ignoring weight training for too long and I need to get back into it if I'm going to get my body where I want it to be.

I realize I could hit up bodybuilding.com and find something, but I'm guessing more than a couple of you have some workouts that you already use to good effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

doot doot http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki especially since you say you lifted when you were younger

it is simple as hell

i did that for a long while before i hurt my knee (snowboarding, not lifting)

it is good

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just did 45 minutes (600 calories) on the eliptical. My AT is feeling better, I hope I can get back to running this weekend.

Pro-tip for you senior citizens out there: showers are not like bus seating. If there is no one else in the showers besides us, feel free to use one of the 12 showers that is not right next to me.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about your weight fluctuating that much over a span of 5 days.

Only start worrying if you lose another 4 lbs in the next 5 days (and the weight doesn't ever fluctuate back up), or if you start feeling run down or sick.

BTW, what's your estimate on calories burned through exercise?

Halibut on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Woohoo! Going to be getting an Olympic barbell and weights tomorrow. Also, a bench and a half power rack since I won't have a spotter.

Looking forward to starting the SL5x5 program.

Halibut on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Halibut wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about your weight fluctuating that much over a span of 5 days.

Only start worrying if you lose another 4 lbs in the next 5 days (and the weight doesn't ever fluctuate back up), or if you start feeling run down or sick.

BTW, what's your estimate on calories burned through exercise?
    I burn roughly 600-800 a day through my job, but that number comes from using a pedometer. It ignores all the lifting I do, so it's probably a bit more. It's nothing intense, but I'm waiting on a combination of weather improving, my tax refund and after PAX to start exercise that is actually intense.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So for my official weigh in for today I was at 280lbs. That means I've lost 11lbs in my first month of dieting. I'm really happy about that. I hope I can keep the pace up.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Official weigh in weight: 200 lbs.

I have noticed some changes in 3 weeks but obviously I'll need to keep at it to lose 16 lbs in 8 weeks.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh right, today is weigh-in day right? 83.8kg this morning. Since this is my first weigh-in, it's about 8kg lower than about a year ago, and about 3-4 kg lower since I started to get into this last month.

I think this translates to about 184lb. Which is nice, since I'm a pound lighter than what I put on my driver's license from 4 years ago.

I think my eventual goal is to get to about 70kg.

But I've sorta scheduled a buffet with my exercise partner for this weekend, so I'm probably setting myself back a week or two from that.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

doot doot http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki especially since you say you lifted when you were younger

it is simple as hell

i did that for a long while before i hurt my knee (snowboarding, not lifting)

it is good

While that is certainly useful and much appreciated, I was more looking for something quick that people in the thread are already doing in their own workouts.

Any other advice is welcome. :D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    TevinTevin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While that is certainly useful and much appreciated, I was more looking for something quick that people in the thread are already doing in their own workouts.

I do:

5 sets of 5 reps of: Deadlifts
    Benchs
    Squats

Pretty straightforward. I could send you links to regale you with the benefits of each of those particular exercises if you like.

For adding weights: I add five lbs at each session. So start at zero (I know, I know) get your TECHNIQUE right, and add 5 lbs. Every time after that.

You'll hit a plateau, but it won't be for a while.

In addition to the weights, I do some bodyweight stuff as well.

3 x 20 reverse crunches + 10lbs medicine ball btwn my legs
    3 x 10 pushups
    3 x 5 chin/pull ups (alternate by how I feel)
    3 x 7 inverted rows

I do all of that, plus 28 min of cardio, usually takes me 1 hr 10 minutes.

If I have to cut things out for sake of time, I start with pull ups, rows, and pushups and make sure to always do an ab exercise.

TL;DR

Barbell weights:

5 sets of 5 reps of: Deadlifts
    Benchs
    Squats

Body weight:

3 x 20 reverse crunches + 10lbs medicine ball btwn my legs
    3 x 10 pushups
    3 x 5 chin/pull ups (alternate by how I feel)
    3 x 7 inverted row

Tevin on
    None of us is as dumb as all of us.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thanks. That looks quick and dirty. Just what I need.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That actually looks really good.

Do it everyday?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm 258, which is a total of 17 pounds lost.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2011
    Regarding the weightlifting recommendations for new to intermediate people I'll mention the fun I've had on 5-3-1. I'm probably more of an intermediate lifter, but 5-3-1 is flexible, allows for working the glamor muscles and consistent. Starting Strength or Strong Lifts might be better in the beginning, but once you start to stall it can be good to switch over.

A duck! on
  • Options
    dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Weighed in at 193. That is a total of 22 lbs lost. 28 to go. Superbowl weekend pretty much negated a week of weight loss /sigh.

I am now noticing a big difference in how I look and people are asking if I lost weight. It feels good. My only issue is that I'm not getting enough fiber in my diet so I just started taking some fiber pills. They are making me gassy. I look forward to being able to have whole grains again.

dzenith on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

ohhhh I don't know, I feel like weight loss is pretty important. I think most people are just handsome or prettier with weight loss, it often slims the face and gives it more defined features etc.

that said I'm down to 165 from 190! very pleased with myself.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    TevinTevin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Do it everyday?

Three times a week, Tues/Thrs/Saturday. Sunday I try and just do 30 min of cardio, usually bike.

Yesterday, I switched things up.

Instead of 30 min of pure cardio, I did 3 min of jump rope between body weight sets. It was fun, made for some good variety. Dunno if it's as/more effective, but it's nice for a change.

Tevin on
    None of us is as dumb as all of us.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Slowly starting back at the gym, the Achilles Tendon injury seems to be on the mend but I'm taking it easy all the same.

Back down to 231 (wavering on the edge of 230 and 235 throughout the month, still trending the mid to low end of the range) and hope that once I'm all mended up to start my routine more regularly again. Still, feeling a lot better even just maintaining where I am.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

ohhhh I don't know, I feel like weight loss is pretty important. I think most people are just handsome or prettier with weight loss, it often slims the face and gives it more defined features etc.

awesome, I thought you looked thinner

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I do something similar to this too, and like it a lot. As far as the frequency thing (directed at first guy in quote tree), you generally don't want to lift weights every day if you are interested in building bigger/stronger muscles. Your muscles don't grow when you are lifting, they only get bigger during the recovery process. If you do it every day you probably won't see more gains, and might actually see less. At least that is my understanding, I'm still an intermediate at best lifter, but that is consistently what the literature I've come across has said.

Tevin wrote: »

Do it everyday?

Three times a week, Tues/Thrs/Saturday. Sunday I try and just do 30 min of cardio, usually bike.

Yesterday, I switched things up.

Instead of 30 min of pure cardio, I did 3 min of jump rope between body weight sets. It was fun, made for some good variety. Dunno if it's as/more effective, but it's nice for a change.

burbo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So the weightlifting muscle recovery stuff. Why doesn't that apply to cardio as well? You're using your muscles for cardio as well, so wouldn't it make sense to not do it every day so that they can recover and become stronger?

Or maybe you *aren't* supposed to. I just hear a lot from people who do cardio 5-7 days a week and wonder about that.

Dracil on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »

awesome, I thought you looked thinner

thanks! you definitely do

Casual Eddy on