Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My system just crashed again, right before I was done a level in Rayman. I'm not impressed.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I played some Advance Wars Dual Strike on the 3DS last night, it looked a little weird (character outlines were a little artifacty, background scroll at the title screen was a little jerky) so I switched to actual size mode (hold select then launch the ds game). It wasn't as tiny as I was expecting, and looked nice again. I actually like it better.

Jishian on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Gotta love retailers in my country.

3DS with SFIV or Pilotwings: $480 at most retailers, cheapest place without a game is $400.

Awww yeaaaah, consumers here just love getting it in the butt.

Hmm, are you in Singapore? The retail price for the system alone here is $400 too.

Not sure what's up with the region-locking over here, though. The console box (at least, the top) has a "Malaysia/Singapore" marking on it; the back of half of the games on the shelf say they're for 3DS systems sold here (as well as Malaysia and a few other countries in the region) while the other half say they're for 3DS systems sold "in the Americas". Does that mean the systems officially on sale here are capable of playing US games too? :?

(Haven't gotten a 3DS yet because of the price here: it'd be cheaper to buy one off of Amazon and have it shipped over here through an intermediary, plus the region-locking thing is confusing me.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    My system just crashed again, right before I was done a level in Rayman. I'm not impressed.

Have you done the system update yet? Nintendo has said to do that first if you're seeing a lot of that screen.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-28-nintendo-comments-on-3ds-error-screen

In other news, if you have a slightly loose hinge on your top screen, don't worry about it - somebody asked a Nintendo rep and they said that it's intentionally loose to prevent that hinge cracking problem from the old days. A lot of people online have been hemming and hawing about it and getting their system exchanged, but it's apparently a good thing, the tighter hinges mean you've got a greater chance of developing a crack.

Also when the 3DS is plugged into power, the screen can get even brighter than the brightest setting, which looks really awesome.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I've done the update. Luckily I only lost about a minute and a half of progress when it crashed.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What's the best way to get the 3DS online for the system update if I'm sans-wireless? Do I need to buy an adapter of some sort if I want to get online with out wireless? All of the local 'free' hotspots around where I live tend to have some annoying webpage you have to load and terms to agree to before you can use WiFi, and obviously the 3DS doesn't deal well with that.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What's the best way to get the 3DS online for the system update if I'm sans-wireless? Do I need to buy an adapter of some sort if I want to get online with out wireless? All of the local 'free' hotspots around where I live tend to have some annoying webpage you have to load and terms to agree to before you can use WiFi, and obviously the 3DS doesn't deal well with that.

Are you in the US? Do you have a Dunkin Donuts nearby? Those often have free wi-fi that doesn't need browser authentication.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tetra, I think for the moment you need wireless to update.
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Yeah, I've done the update. Luckily I only lost about a minute and a half of progress when it crashed.

The other thing people are doing that apparently takes care of it is turning wireless off. It's not like you need wireless on right now in most cases anyway.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PopeTiberiiPopeTiberii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, this is now officially the first hand held gaming system I have owned since the original gigantic Game Boy. I was on the fence about it (as was the wife, thanks to the cost), and then we tried out Pilotwings at Best Buy on Sunday and ended up walking out with the black 3DS. :D Cruised over to TRU for their deal on games and picked up Pilotwings and Ghost Recon.

I have to say that I've been really impressed with this thing so far, but I did have a question. A number of people here talk about getting a screen protector (I assume for the touch screen)... Is that really necessary? Is the screen really that liable to getting scratches (or is the stylus that rough?)? If so, are there any recommendations for one brand over another?

Sorry if this double (triple?) posts, getting some server busy errors...

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hrm. Keep getting Error Code 006-0612 every time I try and go into quick match on SSFIV

Edit: Was hoping we'd get a release date out of that, since Japan and Europe already know theirs :P

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have to say that I've been really impressed with this thing so far, but I did have a question. A number of people here talk about getting a screen protector (I assume for the touch screen)... Is that really necessary? Is the screen really that liable to getting scratches (or is the stylus that rough?)? If so, are there any recommendations for one brand over another?

People around here seem to want them pretty ubiquitously, though I had my DS Lite for years now, no screen protector, and I don't have any scratches. Maybe I'm just gentle.

That being said, I'm considering getting a screen protector for my 3DS because it's just so pretty, and I don't want to mess it up.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yep, Jill and Wesker look exactly like they did in RE5.

Peewi on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just tried a 3DS for the first time and I was very impressed. The 3D actually works and looks pretty good. I was on the fence, but now I definitely want one. But not until there are some decent games available.

elevature on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, this is now officially the first hand held gaming system I have owned since the original gigantic Game Boy. I was on the fence about it (as was the wife, thanks to the cost), and then we tried out Pilotwings at Best Buy on Sunday and ended up walking out with the black 3DS. :D Cruised over to TRU for their deal on games and picked up Pilotwings and Ghost Recon.

Sorry if this double (triple?) posts, getting some server busy errors...

That's EXACTLY how I ended up with mine. I was just there to get a movie! Ended up with no movie, a 3DS and Pilotwings.

A screen protector is a fine idea I'm sure JUST in case but I'm like Vi Monks. I've had a DS for years without any scratches. All it takes is one time though I suppose.
    But hey, I like to live dangerously.

vamen on
  • Options
    RembladeRemblade Pobodies Nerfect. Shepherd RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »

People around here seem to want them pretty ubiquitously, though I had my DS Lite for years now, no screen protector, and I don't have any scratches. Maybe I'm just gentle.

That being said, I'm considering getting a screen protector for my 3DS because it's just so pretty, and I don't want to mess it up.

Yeah, it all depends on how you play. You never really need to apply that much pressure at all on the touch screen. (at least on my DSlite).

Although hectic touch based games can prove hazardous to the screen with repeated use. I'm looking at you Ouendan/Elite beat agents.

In the end it's all about how you use it.

Remblade on
    PSN: Remblade
    3DS FC: 4940-5450-0161
  • Options
    Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

When I got my original DS, I didn't bother with a screen protector at first. My stylus, either from so much use, or being taken out/put back so much, ended up flaking or something at the tip. While playing Nintendogs it scratched the touch screen making me go O.O and then I went out and got a screen protector. I have since gone through 3 different stylus and my screen protector is noticeably scratched. I have never upgraded, been using the original DS since launch.

Which makes me wonder why I didn't pick one up at the store when I got my 3DS. I think I was just so excited to get it home and check it out. Can you even get the screen protectors in store, or just through Amazon?

Kuroi Ookami on
    3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Picked up ghost recon yesterday, really enjoying it.

On full blast the game looks pretty great, it's been said before that it looks like staring down at a board game, and that's true. Seeing smoke rise from a wreck and staring down into ravines is just too cool. I hope to see more srpgs, because it's just so fun to look at.

The game itself is also surprisingly awesome. I like how they handled cover and line of fire, etc. I also like that I'm only like 2% done after having finished a handful of missions.

SFIV is fun too, but only if you search for a custom game with people that are also using pro controls. I cannot count the number of kens I've seen in quick match that mysteriously only have two moves. It's like some mutated flow chart. Though it's even easier to bait out ultras when they only have to push one button.

Going to have to start hanging out at game stores or something though, because I can't seem to find any street pass people just driving around. I'm not sure on the range, or how long the systems have to be in that range for the street pass to work, so maybe driving around won't cut it. Those cats you can buy for the Mii quest are just horrible, I would hope actual Miis can finish one fight.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Screen protectors are so cheap and when applied correctly completely invisible I just don't see any reason to not have one, even if just so I don't need to watch anyone I let use it like a hawk to make sure they aren't pushing down too hard.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I'd go with the screen protector simply because if that gets scratched, it's a simple matter of buying a new screen protector and replacing the old one. If the touchscreen gets scratched, you have to see it for as long as you have your DS. That said, the only time I ever really noticed or cared about the scratches on my screen protector was while playing EBA.

Sporky, you posted on GAF that you think Pilotwings is more like a 10-15 hour game, not 2. As you said there, that completely goes against the reviews. How does it add up to a 10-15 hour game? The short play time mentioned in the reviews was the main reason why I didn't get it, but if it's actually much longer, I'll probably pick it up at some point.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have never had a screen protector for any device that was anywhere close to "invisible." No matter how carefully I apply them they always end up wrinkled, bubbled, highlighting any tiny speck of dust that escaped the screen cleaning, and generally looking like shit, which I only tolerate because I can remove one shitty-looking screen protector and exchange it for another but actual scratches will look shitty forever. Of course, either way the result is shit.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for all the responses! I'm usually not a big fan of the really twitchy games (plus, I have no rhythm at all, so dance or music games are completely out of the question for me). I guess I'm just worried about putting the screen protector on and getting bubbles in it or having it otherwise look like crap... For some reason, I always have a hard time with those things.

Edit:
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I have never had a screen protector for any device that was anywhere close to "invisible." No matter how carefully I apply them they always end up wrinkled, bubbled, highlighting any tiny speck of dust that escaped the screen cleaning, and generally looking like shit, which I only tolerate because I can remove one shitty-looking screen protector and exchange it for another but actual scratches will look shitty forever. Of course, either way the result is shit.

Yep, that's my exact concern right there.

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Wow! I couldn't be any happier with what Capcom is doing with the 3DS so far. The best launch game and two awesome Resident Evil games in development, one which can probably be expected this year and will have a demo for the other game included. Fuck yes!

I still don't care about ports and remakes so long as they are good ports and remakes. I find it very hard to find any issue with the likes of Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64, Super Street Fighter IV, and Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - The Naked Snake Sample (especially since I haven't played the later two games and have been wanting to). I also applaud anyone daring enough to make a game with such a ridiculously long title. Even abbreviated at MGS: SE3DTNSS thats really long. :P

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nickle wrote: »

On full blast the game looks pretty great, it's been said before that it looks like staring down at a board game, and that's true. Seeing smoke rise from a wreck and staring down into ravines is just too cool. I hope to see more srpgs, because it's just so fun to look at.

The game itself is also surprisingly awesome. I like how they handled cover and line of fire, etc. I also like that I'm only like 2% done after having finished a handful of missions.

SFIV is fun too, but only if you search for a custom game with people that are also using pro controls. I cannot count the number of kens I've seen in quick match that mysteriously only have two moves. It's like some mutated flow chart. Though it's even easier to bait out ultras when they only have to push one button.

Going to have to start hanging out at game stores or something though, because I can't seem to find any street pass people just driving around. I'm not sure on the range, or how long the systems have to be in that range for the street pass to work, so maybe driving around won't cut it. Those cats you can buy for the Mii quest are just horrible, I would hope actual Miis can finish one fight.

I actually got one that was awesome (from 2 coins)..he was level 2 so Im sure that helped. But he killed 3 ghosts and then I foolish decided to see what his spell "sandstorm" did. Basically it made it hard to use swords, and also made him tired and he ran off, leaving my pitiful level 1 cats to try and finish a single ghost (and failing).
    Very sad.

vamen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Sporky, you posted on GAF that you think Pilotwings is more like a 10-15 hour game, not 2. As you said there, that completely goes against the reviews. How does it add up to a 10-15 hour game? The short play time mentioned in the reviews was the main reason why I didn't get it, but if it's actually much longer, I'll probably pick it up at some point.

You should check GAF's Pilotwings thread about that. A guy who recently finished nearly everything:
    13 hours of playtime. Yeah, 2.5h... and I havent beat the free mode or even got perfect scores in all missions (nearly impossible).

Other people saying they've put in 5 hours and are only halfway through, etc.

It's 2 hours to beat every mission once, but 10-15 to see and do everything that the game offers.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

When I got my original DS, I didn't bother with a screen protector at first. My stylus, either from so much use, or being taken out/put back so much, ended up flaking or something at the tip. While playing Nintendogs it scratched the touch screen making me go O.O and then I went out and got a screen protector. I have since gone through 3 different stylus and my screen protector is noticeably scratched. I have never upgraded, been using the original DS since launch.

Which makes me wonder why I didn't pick one up at the store when I got my 3DS. I think I was just so excited to get it home and check it out. Can you even get the screen protectors in store, or just through Amazon?

I think Fry's has Hori's sometimes. Maybe Target too.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    vamen wrote: »

I actually got one that was awesome (from 2 coins)..he was level 2 so Im sure that helped. But he killed 3 ghosts and then I foolish decided to see what his spell "sandstorm" did. Basically it made it hard to use swords, and also made him tired and he ran off, leaving my pitiful level 1 cats to try and finish a single ghost (and failing).
    Very sad.

Can you tell what magic they're going to use before selecting it?

I finally bought the last of the AR games so I just bought a new puzzle piece and two cats. The first level 2 cat cast some black magic spell that made everything dark, and then immediately got tired and walked off. Then the level 1 cat came out, missed three attacks, and left. :(

Stupid big ghost boss thing. It is nearly dead from yesterday though, when one of my cats summoned a bunny that did pretty well. But I don't think I've killed a single enemy with only one cat. They always give up after one round of attacking.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for all the responses! I'm usually not a big fan of the really twitchy games (plus, I have no rhythm at all, so dance or music games are completely out of the question for me). I guess I'm just worried about putting the screen protector on and getting bubbles in it or having it otherwise look like crap... For some reason, I always have a hard time with those things.

Edit:

Yep, that's my exact concern right there.

I never had any issues with scratches with the DSlite despite playing games like TWEWY and both Zeldas on it (very touch screen heavy games). The real issue I think is if you let other people use your system. I'm the only one that uses mine so I don't have to worry about it being mistreated. However, I would definitely use protectors if I let others use it as some people can be downright negligent with the way they treat electronics. The 3DS also comes with a higher quality stylus.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The thing that I have found with screen protectors from my own experience is that they really just aren't worth it. I tried to apply one to my DS Lite soon after initially purchasing it (as I got a whole kit that had screen protectors, headphones, an addtitional stylus or two, etc) and had the bubble issue. Took it off to reapply it and found a nice sticky residue. Eventually I got another one on there but then it just became affixed to the screen and since it wasn't quite even it always kind of bothered me. Also, it would still get little bubbles underneath it from time to time that would have to be slowly pushed off to the side so that the screen protector could appear smooth again.

So when I got a DSi XL later I just said "fuck it" and went without any screen protector. What I found was that the touch screen had been much improved since earlier versions and that really you could only see scratches on it if you held it up to a light, angled the system, and then looked very closely. Actually playing a game you couldn't notice a damn thing, much less when you just looked at the screen from normal viewind distance when it was turned off. Usually simply wiping the screen removed any slight scratches that could be seen under those most absurd moments where I scrutinized any blemish that it might have because I am always paranoid with anything like that, especially in the immediate weeks after purchase. But you just have to let that go, because really, it doesn't matter when some normal wear and tear can be expected to happen. I played a hell of a lot of Advance Wars and the thing still looked virtually brand new up until the last few days I had it . . . unless you wanted to get really anal rentitive about it and hold it up under a light again for close inspection. But I would rather that then have a screen protector that will get more noticeable scratches in it, will be hard to remove later, and in the end becomes more of an annoyance then something of actual benefit. These things are really built to go through a lot, so much that that itself is peace of mind enough for me. I don't know what I would do if I owned something like a PSP though. It just looks so . . . exposed and vulnerable!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Very sad.

I finally bought the last of the AR games so I just bought a new puzzle piece and two cats. The first level 2 cat cast some black magic spell that made everything dark, and then immediately got tired and walked off. Then the level 1 cat came out, missed three attacks, and left. :(

Stupid big ghost boss thing. It is nearly dead from yesterday though, when one of my cats summoned a bunny that did pretty well. But I don't think I've killed a single enemy with only one cat. They always give up after one round of attacking.

Their magic corresponds to their shirt color (for Miis too).

Jishian on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Awesome. I think I'll save my money and skip the protector. Thanks for the advice!

PopeTiberii on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright, did a little digging on the Nintendo forums, and found someone who was having similar problems.. couldn't update, had a hard time connecting the friends list, but could play online just fine. Changing the DNS entries from automatic to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 fixed the problem completely, and I got the update to download on the first try.

So, yea, I guess that'll work. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You should check GAF's Pilotwings thread about that. A guy who recently finished nearly everything:
    13 hours of playtime. Yeah, 2.5h... and I havent beat the free mode or even got perfect scores in all missions (nearly impossible).

It's 2 hours to beat every mission once, but 10-15 to see and do everything that the game offers.

So it's basically Mirror's Edge. You can "beat" the game in just a few hours, but to do everything takes drastically longer.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

Jill looks like her Lost in Nightmares model, which is very nice. Never cared for blonde Jill.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jishian wrote: »

Very sad.

Their magic corresponds to their shirt color (for Miis too).

It also says the name of the spell when you put your cursor over the 'magic' option.

vamen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For those who care about such things, it's apparently been confirmed that the 3DS has 128 megs of RAM. Fast too, 3.2 GB/s. No idea of how it's divided up though, could be 32 OS/96 game, could be 64/64.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So is that the same as the Wii?

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So is that the same as the Wii?

Xbox = 64MB DDR
    GCN = 43MB (27MB 1T-SRAM, 16 MB DRAM)
    PS2 = 32MB RDRAM
    DS = 4MB
    Wii = 88MB (24MB 1T-SRAM, 64MB GDDR3)
    PSP = 32MB eDRAM

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I agree with you Nickle, it's great having that chessboard style look down. Glad Ubisoft pushed the title to full development on the 3DS. It looks great!

I'm going to go to a few local anime conventions and see how my Mii population fairs.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

So it's basically Mirror's Edge. You can "beat" the game in just a few hours, but to do everything takes drastically longer.

I was initially a vocal opponent of Pilotwings -- not so much the game itself, so much as it being a full $40 title. Since I was able to score it for cheap through Toys R Us's deal, I decided to take a gamble on it, and I'm hoping it holds up well in the mission mode (I didn't care much for free flight in Wii Sports Resort, don't think I'll like it too much here but will give it a try!).

To me it also sounds like a lot of what you get out of Pilotwings is exploring the 3DS in general: taking in lush vistas in 3D, trying to gauge depth perception, etc. Now that I think about it, it does make a very excellent launch title in that light.

My 3DS is supposed to come today! Hoping I didn't miss the UPS guy, just got back from class an hour ago.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
This discussion has been closed.