As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An "Invisible" Rapture? Clever Girl

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    it's stupid

Why

because obnoxiously telling people thier beliefs are wrong never made anyone change thier beliefs

#pipe on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tossrock wrote: »
    I always have a hearty laugh at people who think the first cause argument somehow translates into the Christian God existing

ha ha ha, haaa

one of the dudes who effectively invented formalized logical debate believed it

I don't really know what I'm trying to say cause it's late and I'm tired

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah and he also probably believed diseases were caused by imbalanced humors, so I don't really give two shits

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    it's stupid

Why

because obnoxiously telling people their beliefs are wrong never made anyone change their beliefs

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    fumigation of the vagina

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Isoldae wrote: »
    Hey sarukun do you think the rapture will significantly delay the release of Diablo 3?

Please advise.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    lime and broken bbcode

incredible

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah and he also probably believed diseases were caused by imbalanced humors, so I don't really give two shits

heheh

humors

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    it's stupid

Why

because obnoxiously telling people thier beliefs are wrong never made anyone change thier beliefs

Uhm.

Thats not what they do? They focus mostly on encouraging people who are atheist to come out publicly and for those who have questions to come and discuss whatever they want. Its not like they walk around handing out pamphlets. Its like any other campus organization. they hold events and whoever comes will come.

Last week they had a Christian apologist group come give a lecture on abortion, then had some question & answer sessions.

They also regularly have panels and moderated discussions between different religious groups on campus.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    because they will never get passed the argument from cause

I hate that any actual refutation of this sounds exactly like bullshit.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    where do you live that people hide their atheism

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    it's stupid

Why

Uhm.

Thats not what they do? They focus mostly on encouraging people who are atheist to come out publicly and for those who have questions to come and discuss whatever they want. Its not like they walk around handing out pamphlets. Its like any other campus organization. they hold events and whoever comes will come.

Last week they had a Christian apologist group come give a lecture on abortion, then had some question & answer sessions.

They also regularly have panels and moderated discussions between different religious groups on campus.

FUCKIN ATHEISTS

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I find atheism pretty interesting because I have a lot of friends who I consider pretty much 'militant' atheists. Two of them run a "Freethought" group on campus and basically hold debates with Christian organizations and seminars/discussions about different topics relating to religion.

They are the kinds of dudes who say "I'M AN ATHEIST DEAL W/ IT LOL" and are unapologetically up front about their atheism. A couple of them wear these temporary tattoos on their wrists to events and stuff as this "Scarlet Letter" campaign to get atheists to out themselves publicly.

I have never really considered myself an atheist - more like a very strong agnostic - but the more I think about it the more I'm beginning to see their point.

He isn't a dick in The God Delusion. He was pretty confrontational in some of the documentaries he filmed around that time - I'm pretty sure the producers put him up to it for better ratings, but still, he's not a child and he knew what he was doing. The people he was confrontational with were usually complete fuckwits though so I guess the worst you could say there is that they deserved each other.

In general he was very blunt with his views, but always calm and reasoned. A lot of people didn't like what he was saying, understandably, but rather than muster a counter argument a lot of them misdirected their ire on to how he was saying it. As a result, the Richard Dawkins you read and the Richard Dawkins you read about ended up being two very different people.

Of course then he goes and says something about how women in niqabs look like they're wearing garbage bags and I'm like, ding, this is where I get off the fanbus, have a nice life Dick.

Butler on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    one of the dudes who effectively invented formalized logical debate believed it

I don't really know what I'm trying to say cause it's late and I'm tired
    And appeal to authority is a logical fallacy too.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    On the other side of the coin, Christopher Hitchens can fuck off.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    x is fine

it's just the people who are jerks about it suck

where x is a system of beliefs

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Callius wrote: »
    On the other side of the coin, Christopher Hitchens can fuck off.

I think he'll drink himself to death pretty soon.

Butler on
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I plan on being at a bar on Saturday. I'ma get off of work at 5pm PST, I'm gonna go down to Black Raven Brewery in Redmond and I'm gonna drink their Grandfather Raven Imperial Stout till the rapture takes me, or the kick my ass out cus I can't pay my tab.

End. Of. Story.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Butler wrote: »
    I think he'll drink himself to death pretty soon.
    If the cancer doesn't off him first.

Also, fuck yeah 2nd doctor!

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Rural [strike]South[/strike] Anywhere

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Probably the South, it's pretty common to hate any atheists you can find down here

I mean, you get shit like this in the south because an atheist called out a school for violating the constitution by having a prayer during graduation

From the article:
    “And what’s even more sad is this is a student who really hasn’t contributed anything to graduation or to their classmates,”

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I've never really seen any particular atheists get hated on down here, but they don't exactly wear it on their sleeve either.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i started reading the first comment then i realized what a mistake i was making

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah... being an atheist in the south sucked.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah my church was pretty much of the opinion that the ACLU is the devil and nothing good can come from it.

Also Planned Parenthood should burn, according to them.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

In America. In the mid-west. Is this a joke?

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but there are a lot of people who do not want to "come out" as atheists because of discrimination and complete misunderstanding of what being an atheist is. They are afraid of being disowned by their families, friends, or loved ones. They are afraid of discrimination. I mean its not much different from being, say, Jewish or Muslim in america.

Actually. in the case of Judaism at least, it's probably worse to be atheist.

As a completely obvious example - there is exactly one elected member of congress who is an outed atheist. Compared to 14 Jewish congressmen. With the education level of the average U.S. congressperson its statistically improbably that only one is an atheist. Its way more likely that some of them are pretending to be religious because they know it would be incredibly difficult to be elected as an atheist.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You know what's weird? Learning about God (or any divinity) after the impressionable age.

Like, when I first heard about God I laughed my ass off, thinking it was a joke or something.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I learned about God at an impressionable age. Currently I don't really see a point in believing one way or the other. It's not relevant enough to my life to spent a lot of thought in! I suppose technically I'd be agnostic, it's just that humans are far more interesting than gods. If a God created us, then I think he's awesome for doing so. If not, well, we're still around anyway, so whats it really matter?

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Some other fun things about the kid in the article I linked, from his reddit thread:

-He originally told the school that he would be getting the ACLU involved if they went through with the prayer. In the letter he only used his initials, but the administration found out who it was and outed him to the whole school

-He has received death threats

-Someone took a video of the rehearsal and put it on youtube. The student who was originally going to be giving the invocation (now the moment of silence) chosen to say to hell with the law and say a prayer anyway.

If you are in the American South or any rural area, it's best to not be too vocal about being an atheist. The shear fact that you exist is not taken well by the people who live there

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Honestly not joking. I've just never witnessed discrimination against atheists personally, I guess! Which is weird because I live in a fairly conservative, rural area.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Ugh yes let's take a telephone survey article where they don't list the exact questions asked as absolute truth, because those results can always be trusted.

This isn't to say that it's unlikely atheists are highly untrusted by the majority populace, or that the article doesn't have a good general message on education, it's just that unless you know exactly what the questions being asked are study results like this mean fuck all. Poor or vague wording on a survey question can color the answer and then you can just throw down whatever results you want.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Honestly not joking. I've just never witnessed discrimination against atheists personally, I guess! Which is weird because I live in a fairly conservative, rural area.

Yeah, in the pacific northwest

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you know who else is atheist?

those godless pinko commie bastard Russians

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Artreus wrote: »

Yeah, in the pacific northwest

in a county that hasn't voted for a Democrat for President in the last forty years

but yeah, I see your point

I can't imagine what it would be like to live in an area like that

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    my sister lived in Ohio for a while

she said it was terrible

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Totally heard that as "Satan's creationist inheritance" at first, man that was a confusing few seconds!

Fyndir on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did this argument cause the world to end yet? How about the internet?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    my sister lived in Ohio for a while

she said it was terrible

Your sister was luck she made it out of the state.

We was all ready to party with the pitchforks and torches before she bounced.

Tell her to write us sometime. We don't hold grudges.

Much.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
This discussion has been closed.