Options

achewood [chat]

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ghost in the Shell is such an exploitive mix.

It's an anime about a scantily clad, hot, female cyborg in a transhumanist cyberpunk future version of Japan. And then a bunch of the story lines are self-aware looks at creepy cult fandom and lonely men sexualizing robots.

Edit: What I am saying is that it is one of the best things ever.

Great isn't it?

I have watched all of 1st and 2nd Gig, as well as the original movie and Sold State Society. Good stuff.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Boondocks were one of the best things ever. I love the opening rap so much.

I love the opening of Samurai Champloo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OuRajFzMYI

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Ghost in the Shell was good, the film is the only thing that I saw.

More like completely nude female cyborg because she ripped her clothes up when entering combat-mode.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I always wonder why anime got a huge following in the USA, but never made an inch of progress over here in the Netherlands (Pokemon and DBZ were huge hits in the '90s, nothing else). Thinking about it, I think I only once met someone who was into animes, and she went all the way with weeabooism (Japanese film, japanese pop, japanese..... everything). And I've met a lot of nerds/geeks/neckbeards as a chemistry student. A lot.

I guess Netherlandian nerds are smart enough to know that paying through the nose for cartoons is dumb.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Honk wrote: »

More like completely nude female cyborg because she ripped her clothes up when entering combat-mode.

Only in the first movie.

In the anime she doesn't get naked.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I don't "get" why Trigun is some popular anime. I watched it and I found it kinda lame. There were some cool characters, but the thing as a whole just... fell flat to me.

I feel the same way about Cowboy Bebop to be honest. It was all right, but I don't get why its regarded as one of the best animes ever made.

I think it's loved more for being significantly more different from what normally gets made. It was an anime with a very western style.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also you know that feeling when your arms are all light and rubbery after working them out? Thats how mine feel right now. Its awesome.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Stand Alone Complex is some of the best writing I've ever experienced in a serial. I don't expect a lot from anime series, considering even the ones I call my favorites have major problems (Noir, Blue Seed), but Stand Alone Complex is brilliant pretty much the whole way through.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    I don't "get" why Trigun is some popular anime. I watched it and I found it kinda lame. There were some cool characters, but the thing as a whole just... fell flat to me.

I feel the same way about Cowboy Bebop to be honest. It was all right, but I don't get why its regarded as one of the best animes ever made.

I think it's loved more for being significantly more different from what normally gets made. It was an anime with a very western style.

Cowboy Bebop was kind of a perfect mix of style, music and a set of characters that were pretty well written on a voyage that had a beginning and an end. I think if it was done with the same quality in any format people would enjoy it. It just happened to be in an anime format.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Only in the first movie.

In the anime she doesn't get naked.

I remember thinking that, yeah, someone somewhere has totally fapped to this.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I keep hearing buzz about a live action Ghost in the Shell movie... I wonder if it will ever actually be made.

Also, I hope Cameron doesn't die before he gets to make Battle Angel Alita.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    A guy on fb has just made this his status
    Life is like a movie, if you've sat through more than half of it and its sucked every second so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the end and make it all worthwhile. None should blame you for walking out early.

I don't really know him that well but uh...

Share this with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_DhNdXRlI

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I keep hearing buzz about a live action Ghost in the Shell movie... I wonder if it will ever actually be made.

No kidding. Fucking Avatar. He was supposed to make Battle Angel after Avatar, but now Battle Angel is on hold so Cameron can print fat stacks of cash with two Avatar sequels, so it's going to be like a decade before a Battle Angel film.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Watch the show. It's much better than the films. And the English dub is decent too. All the voice actors are good, a lot of care was taken to avoid speed racer syndrome.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Actually when I think of most of the animes I really like and watch more than once, its not because they are anime they are good but anime is the form they were made. I would probably of enjoyed them in a different format just as much as long as they kept to that same level quality in the writing and such.

Problem is many of these would look hokey if done live action because of how the fights are choreographed and the world is presented. Which is why animation is a good form to present the world. Though with stuff like avatar who knows what we will make now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, could you guys imagine if they made FLCL in live-action?

Something tells me it'd be even cooler. Like, a mix of live-action and CG like in District 9?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

No kidding. Fucking Avatar. He was supposed to make Battle Angel after Avatar, but now Battle Angel is on hold so Cameron can print fat stacks of cash with two Avatar sequels, so it's going to be like a decade before a Battle Angel film.

The estimate I heard is sometime around 2017 for Battle Angel to be released because he is going to film Avatar 2 and 3 at the same time so they release one year after the other.

:(

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Something tells me it'd be even cooler. Like, a mix of live-action and CG like in District 9?

I'm not sure FLCL could work as a live action without removing the parts of it that make it really unique. Kinda like trying to do a live action of Golden Boy.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I don't think it could work. I mean the idea of the show is its almost out of a kids head. It has to have that weird off look to a lot of it. It would probably just look really silly in a live action format.

Animation isn't a superior format, it just works better for certain things. Basically to move flcl to live action would have to tone it down and that kind of defeats the point I feel of the show in some ways.

Ugh, I was being so good today. Working out. Being outside. Listening to sports. Look what you people do to me.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'm thinking more of something like Scott Pilgrim's special effects.

Shit yeah.

Fuck, get Wright to direct FLCL right the fuck now.

Winky on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Live-action FLCL. You should be ashamed.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Winky I disagree with you on that. Scott Pilgrim and FLCL are very different things where the graphics represent something completely different. In some ways the art and style of flcl is as important to the story as the words spoken.

I mean think of the guy with the eyebrows. They represent the giving up of all childish things and being a man. Them being ridiculous has a point to it.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Winky wrote: »

I'm thinking more of something like Scott Pilgrim's special effects.

Shit yeah.

Fuck, get Wright to direct FLCL right the fuck now.

shit, why did i say District 9? I meant Scott Pilgrim.

i mean, Scott Pilgrim pretty much showed that you can make cartoons in live-action.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am not a fan of FLCL at all. It's pure fan wank.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am not a fan of FLCL at all.

that's because you're dead inside

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zampanov wrote: »
    I am not a fan of FLCL at all.

that's because you're dead inside

Hey now...

Maybe he has a debilitating illness tht makes him grouchy. Don't be hasty.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think calling it fan wank is pushing it, but it's true that you basically have to be a fan of anime from a particular generation to really enjoy it. If you don't like anime, it's definitely going to be a major turn-off.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's an awful show that awful people like. It's The Catcher in the Rye for weeaboos.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    ghost in the shell does sometimes have that issue where the characters pace their words strangely, I assume that comes from having to sync the words to the mouth movements

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I thought that was Ghost in the Shell.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    let's fight, mori

cyberpunk fight

I'll get the modems

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's an awful show that awful people like. It's The Catcher in the Rye for weeaboos.

dead inside

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    let's fight, mori

cyberpunk fight

I'll get the modems

I'm cyberjacking into your dataframe this very megasecond.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    let's fight, mori

cyberpunk fight

I'll get the modems

gross

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    let's fight, mori

cyberpunk fight

I'll get the modems

So Mori, I hear you are our rigger?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I'm not sure FLCL could work as a live action without removing the parts of it that make it really unique. Kinda like trying to do a live action of Golden Boy.

Scott Pilgrim worked.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    let's fight, mori

cyberpunk fight

I'll get the modems

So Mori, I hear you are our rigger?

Word.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    eielson is a few hundred miles closer to Japan than Juneau

I win round 1

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ghost in the shell does sometimes have that issue where the characters pace their words strangely, I assume that comes from having to sync the words to the mouth movements

Are you talking about the dubbed version

Because no true anime viewer would lower themselves to the dubbed version

now if you excuse me I gotta get back to writing my thesis on anime

simonwolf on
This discussion has been closed.