caption0608_2.jpg
    um

tumblr_lmhrjzE0U51qzz99vo1_500.jpg

Antidote.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The way people discuss drinking has never made sense to me, and always made me wonder why they do it.

The American attitude to drinking has always terrified me. 21 is a stupidly high legal age.

Tav on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Phonogram - haven't heard of that one. Looks interesting.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do you not drink, ELM?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    caption0608_2.jpg

um

Love-Guns. The hippies are fighting back!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    holy fuck. super rage cat that spits blood as a superpower.

I can't believe I never got into comic books before.

This is exactly the reason I never intend to get into comics.
    a4d029d1065c6c.jpg

theinvisiblesv21300ashayj1.jpg

8061_400x600.jpg

Phonogram+first+six+covers.jpg

omac3.jpg

goodbyechunky.gif

COMICS: nothing but barfing cats as far as the eye can see

Not gonna lie, somewhat uncertain what that was meant to achieve.

Clearly I understand the fact that for every tiny bloody thing that exists in life there is a massive spectrum of variety to do with it and I was making a facetious comment regarding how ridiculous comics can be.

Example:
    Someone: "Oh god this russian cartoon just had a 5 year old's father murdered in front of her and then she retreats into a dark and hideously twisted world to try to cope."
    Me: "This is why I never watch anything Russian: they are a twisted, depressed people."
    You: post examples of cheerful Russian art/media/whatnot.

Well, I say that, but you'd never find anything simultaneously Russian and cheerful.

Daxon on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    The way people discuss drinking has never made sense to me, and always made me wonder why they do it.

The American attitude to drinking has always terrified me. 21 is a stupidly high legal age.

Girlfriend had a German friend over for the weekend. We went wine-tasting. Hubbybro was the designated driver.

We had a pretty interesting conversation regarding the attitudes of Americans vs. Europeans regarding drinking & driving.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    SuperbassSuperbass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

because alcohol is literally the best thing ever

i probably prefer alcohol to sex

if I weren't so crippled by anxiety I am 100% positive I would be a raging alcoholic

Superbass on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

They're fake guns. Apparently that's EA's booth.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Do you not drink, ELM?

Don't be silly. He's Australian!

Feral on

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Feral wrote: »

It's a pretty good book - I know the dude who wrote it and he's a walking encyclopedia of music. All the covers of the issues there are reproductions/parodies of actual album covers from the 90s.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Superbass wrote: »

if I weren't so crippled by anxiety I am 100% positive I would be a raging alcoholic

You know a lot of alcoholics get that way because they turned to alcohol to self-medicate their own anxiety. It has anti-anxiety properties similar to barbiturates.

Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't tell you this.

Oh well. Hitting submit reply anyway!

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2011

It's a pretty good book - I know the dude who wrote it and he's a walking encyclopedia of music. All the covers of the issues there are reproductions/parodies of actual album covers from the 90s.

Does it identify what album covers? Because I don't recognize any of them. I especially love the top center one.

Feral on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do you not drink, ELM?

But I drink scotch, which is not really the Australian beverage of choice.

It's the "alcohol poisoning woo!" attitude I don't get that soooo many people seem to have.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

a4d029d1065c6c.jpg

8061_400x600.jpg

omac3.jpg

goodbyechunky.gif

Clearly I understand the fact that for every tiny bloody thing that exists in life there is a massive spectrum of variety to do with it and I was making a facetious comment regarding how ridiculous comics can be.

Example:
    Someone: "Oh god this russian cartoon just had a 5 year old's father murdered in front of her and then she retreats into a dark and hideously twisted world to try to cope."
    Me: "This is why I never watch anything Russian: they are a twisted, depressed people."

Well, I say that, but you'd never find anything simultaneously Russian and cheerful.
    Japan posted a link to a picture a couple of days ago that said "Much of Russia considers Dostoevskiy Station too depressing."

I laughed for a solid ten seconds without even clicking on the picture, because the first thought that entered my head was "there must not be a Russian word for 'irony.'"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

You know a lot of alcoholics get that way because they turned to alcohol to self-medicate their own anxiety. It has anti-anxiety properties similar to barbiturates.

Really? Drinking never cured much anxiety for me, if anything it just made things worse.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

a4d029d1065c6c.jpg

8061_400x600.jpg

omac3.jpg

goodbyechunky.gif

Example:

Japan posted a link to a picture a couple of days ago that said "Much of Russia considers Dostoevskiy Station too depressing."

I laughed for a solid ten seconds without even clicking on the picture, because the first thought that entered my head was "there must not be a Russian word for 'irony.'"

When I saw that article I just thought "finally, they fucking realised"

Daxon on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I don't know what alcohol you have been drinking but I want some.

Alcohol is just fun. And a social lubricant. And can make sexy times better. All depending on usage amounts of course. Drinking half a bottle of jack = bad times. Having a few drinks = good times.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011

Does it identify what album covers? Because I don't recognize any of them. I especially love the top center one.

I was about to say I couldn't remember, but amazingly someone at Wiki actually cataloged this.

1 Elastica - Elastica
    2 It's Great When You're Straight... Yeah - Black Grape
    3 Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    4 Modern Life Is Rubbish - Blur
    5 Suede - Suede
    6 The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
    TPB This Is Hardcore - Pulp

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The top right is Oasis' Definitely Maybe

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    found the custom range option off to the side, but it's not pulling up any records. Le sigh.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    this is the GIS result for a happy russian.

1266858326nDdy1J.jpg

Well, I just guess we'll have to settle with smug. Happiness is not an emotion for them.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Do you not drink, ELM?

It's the "alcohol poisoning woo!" attitude I don't get that soooo many people seem to have.

It's partially a kind of "macho" thing, I guess I would say. Like, WOO I drank more than you. In your face! And you do feel good while you are doing it until a certain point. Then you feel terrible. Some people are suckers for peer pressure. Some people are alcoholics. Some people are just looking for a good time and go overboard. Some people are convinced that that is the way to do it, and are misled.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You been playing any more TQ, Jacob? You still enjoying it?

JebusUD wrote: »
    Do you not drink, ELM?

It's partially a kind of "macho" thing, I guess I would say. Like, WOO I drank more than you. In your face! And you do feel good while you are doing it until a certain point. Then you feel terrible. Some people are suckers for peer pressure. Some people are alcoholics. Some people are just looking for a good time and go overboard. Some people are convinced that that is the way to do it, and are misled.

Hey, for some of us, alcohol is our retirement plan. If I drink myself to death before I can retire, it insures that 1) I don't have to worry about retirement, and 2) what years I do have are awesome.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SuperbassSuperbass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

oh god yes that's one of the best things about it

GABAergic bliss

If you hate your brain, alcohol is a godsend. It turns the damn thing off.

But the from sober to 3-drinks in, I'm still anxious, and I worry about drinking too much and throwing up.

So as a result I haven't had a drink in about a week, and I only had two the last time I did.

Superbass on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    alcohol poisoning is hard to get

I only know one person who's had it and he drank half a bottle of absinthe

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    a4d029d1065c6c.jpg
    It was either the Seattle Weekly or the Stranger that did a write-up on the guy who penned that.

He's a Seattle native. It's supposed to be pretty good.

I read his book Louis Riel, about the 1800s Canadian Indian activist. It was really good, and I want to check this one out.

I do think it's kind of funny that yet another underground cartoonist has kind of come out as a relationship-challenged recluse. I love underground/indie comix but I do think the autobiographical ones end up sometimes coalescing into a blur of "I'm an awkward balding dude in my 30s who collects jazz records and model trains." Like, their nerdy hobbies are never even popular nerdy hobbies.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

tell that to like a quarter of the freshman girls that I saw as an RA all four years of college.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    how'd it get so dark....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You been playing any more TQ, Jacob? You still enjoying it?

only a little bit. I fired up a new guy and killed the shaman in the first town but I haven't been home much the past couple days.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I read his book Louis Riel, about the 1800s Canadian Indian activist. It was really good, and I want to check this one out.

I do think it's kind of funny that yet another underground cartoonist has kind of come out as a relationship-challenged recluse. I love underground/indie comix but I do think the autobiographical ones end up sometimes coalescing into a blur of "I'm an awkward balding dude in my 30s who collects jazz records and model trains." Like, their nerdy hobbies are never even popular nerdy hobbies.

In my experience, only the strangest people do model trains.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Most people who die from acute alcohol abuse die either because they were doing something stupid like driving or boating, or they aspirated on their own vomit.

That's why the best thing you can do for somebody who is passed out drunk is to make sure they're lying on their side.

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2011

Nah alcohol poisoning isn't that hard to get.

You poison yourself with alcohol so you are vomiting/confused/dangerous to others/fitting/stop breathing etc etc.

Daxon on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

tell that to like a quarter of the freshman girls that I saw as an RA all four years of college.

If you start throwing up, that's low-grade alcohol poisoning. If you get blackout drunk, that's pretty severe alcohol poisoning, because you can't remember anything because you actually gave yourself literal mild brain-damage.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

again, different story over here

most girls have been drinking since they were 13/14, so they know their limits.

the only girl I've seen get incredibly bad from drink over here was from New Zealand and wasn't used to keeping up with us. That was a messy night

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »

The only times I've ever drunk so much I ended up regretting it, it was because I was hanging out with friends who had higher alcohol tolerance than me (and mine is pretty high BTW) and I just ended up keeping pace with them by association.

Like, if they poured themselves a drink, I'd hold out my cup to get topped up. If they opened a new bottle of something, I'd down my drink and get a taste of whatever they were pouring. That sort of thing.

Feral on

• Options
    edited June 2011

If you start throwing up, that's low-grade alcohol poisoning. If you get blackout drunk, that's pretty severe alcohol poisoning, because you can't remember anything because you actually gave yourself literal mild brain-damage.

I had to call an ambulance for dumb freshman girls who were unable to speak because they were so drunk far too many times.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was about to say I couldn't remember, but amazingly someone at Wiki actually cataloged this.

1 Elastica - Elastica
    2 It's Great When You're Straight... Yeah - Black Grape
    3 Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    4 Modern Life Is Rubbish - Blur
    5 Suede - Suede
    6 The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
    TPB This Is Hardcore - Pulp

Nice!

Feral on

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

oh god yes that's one of the best things about it

GABAergic bliss

If you hate your brain, alcohol is a godsend. It turns the damn thing off.

But the from sober to 3-drinks in, I'm still anxious, and I worry about drinking too much and throwing up.

So as a result I haven't had a drink in about a week, and I only had two the last time I did.

There was a comic that did a whole bit on that, on how he would drink just so he could shut his brain up long enough to fall asleep at night. Everyone in his audience found it hilarious, but I was just like...I know this problem....

Sadly drinking does nothing but fuck your sleep cycle up, sure you'll pass out, but you'll wake up at 3am and stare at the ceiling the rest of the night.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    In my experience, once I graduated from college, and even in my later college semesters, peer pressure to drink was pretty much non-existant.

stevemarks44 on
This discussion has been closed.