As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] We cant find anything unless its ad takes up 3/4ths of the Store page

• Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.buygamesnotsocks.com/

Delve Deeper
    Digitanks
    Mactabilis
    Spring Up Harmony
    Steel Storm: Burning Retribution.

5 for $5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcNAT_V1fmA&feature=player_embedded

From the FAQ:
    Will this bundle be available on Steam? One of the games, Delve Deeper, can be redeemed on Steam. The remaining games will unfortunately not be available on Steam. However, we will be hopefully getting Desura keys shortly. (according to a post by someone they should have by now but no confirmation)

Pheace on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, I have never really played a first person shooter. My "modern" PC gaming began with Starcraft, and my console gaming was devoted to Mario, Zelda, and Final Fantasy. My PC gaming fell off the map until just the past month when I acquired a new PC, and on consoles, I just never managed to make it onto the FPS bandwangon--I tried playing Halo, but my friends were just so much better than me that I eventually gave up. Basically, I just never developed the hand-eye coordination required to play them.

The first and only 3rd person shooters I've played have been the Uncharted series, in which I whore the shit out of easy mode and the cover system as much as it'll let me. I tried playing RE4 on the Wii, and simply got my shit wrecked.

Now, having said that, I really would be interested in learning and getting to enjoy the genre, so, given that Steam has so much stuff, I figured you guys would be able to direct me to a game that might fit my complete lack of competence but decent amount of interest!

Also I should note that a horror game would probably be a bad idea, as I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to scary games, so that wouldn't exactly mesh well with my sucktitude. :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    AlexAlex Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »

Which I guess fits with the fact that you're a Big Daddy. You're just so underpowered though. Probaby due to me being at the start yet.

From what I remember of Bioshock 2, you start off underpowered but soon become ridiculously OP, to the point that even Big Sister isn't much of a problem. As long as you're not expecting to do another wrench run (drill's been nerfed significantly), the game sets you up with a huge amount of useful weaponry.

Alex on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, I have never really played a first person shooter. My "modern" PC gaming began with Starcraft, and my console gaming was devoted to Mario, Zelda, and Final Fantasy. My PC gaming fell off the map until just the past month when I acquired a new PC, and on consoles, I just never managed to make it onto the FPS bandwangon--I tried playing Halo, but my friends were just so much better than me that I eventually gave up. Basically, I just never developed the hand-eye coordination required to play them.

The first and only 3rd person shooters I've played have been the Uncharted series, in which I whore the shit out of easy mode and the cover system as much as it'll let me. I tried playing RE4 on the Wii, and simply got my shit wrecked.

Now, having said that, I really would be interested in learning and getting to enjoy the genre, so, given that Steam has so much stuff, I figured you guys would be able to direct me to a game that might fit my complete lack of competence but decent amount of interest!

Also I should note that a horror game would probably be a bad idea, as I'm kind of a chicken when it comes to scary games, so that wouldn't exactly mesh well with my sucktitude. :P

Try Half-Life 2.

reVerse on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I would totally be down for some Last Stand sometime

I have Retribution as well, though I haven't installed it yet

Also, fuck Eldar and their tossing people around all the goddamn time

Also enjoying the hell outta Last Stand atm. I scored the extra DLC wargear and it's been awesome.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    reVerse wrote: »

Try Half-Life 2.

Seconded. Also, Call of Duty 4 (Modern Warfare 1) is really good (MW2 is good, though not as good as the first), but expensive (30$) for an old game. Buy it if its on the summer sale.

OH! BIOSHOCK! The first one is amazing and the second is decent.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alex wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

Which I guess fits with the fact that you're a Big Daddy. You're just so underpowered though. Probaby due to me being at the start yet.

From what I remember of Bioshock 2, you start off underpowered but soon become ridiculously OP, to the point that even Big Sister isn't much of a problem. As long as you're not expecting to do another wrench run (drill's been nerfed significantly), the game sets you up with a huge amount of useful weaponry.

Yeah its definitely beginning to open up now. Like I said, I could see the fun in the game, I just had a hard time getting to it from the myriad of problems.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm of the opinion - as a guy who didn't play any fps games for about a decade before getting back into PC gaming in 2007 or so - that Call of Duty 2 is about the perfect learner's FPS.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, HL2 is probably your best bet to ease into FPS. You may enjoy Borderlands, preferably MP with friends or the Steam group, because unless you're sniping your aimed accuracy doesn't matter as much and it's co-op not competitive. STALKER can be brutally hard at the beginning and get really easy later, but it's worth it, and as someone who is a baby for scary games STALKER has a few moments but is still totally worth it. Crysis on easy should be easy to manage, what with suit powers helping.

Like a million other people, I've still got gift copies of HL2 and Ep1, so I could hook you up with those if you like.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm of the opinion - as a guy who didn't play any fps games for about a decade before getting back into PC gaming in 2007 or so - that Call of Duty 2 is about the perfect learner's FPS.

A good choice. Bioshock and HL2 are good ones as well, but I say start with the early stuff and work your way up. The id Super Pack has some of the absolute best games in the genre, but it's admittedly a bit expensive if you're new to the genre and aren't sure if you'll like it. I still replay Doom/II and Quake/II more than I do any modern FPS. You could also grab Duke Nukem 3D and Blood off of GOG if you want cheaper alternatives. DN3D + eDuke32 + high-res texture pack = classic shooting heaven.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm of the opinion[...]that Call of Duty 2 is about the perfect FPS.

FTFY

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Half-Life 2 is a poor choice for a starter FPS. It takes a certain amount of FPS skill to play through it, and most of the early weapons demand an accuracy that new players to the genre simply do not have. Not to mention the difficulty of some of the setpieces that are separate from learning how to play a FPS (mostly the vehicle sections). If he's learning how to wrangle a Mouse/Keyboard or controller, there are other easier options.

My girlfriend isn't a big FPS fan, and she hates competitive games (which most multiplayer FPS are). But she learned how to use a mouse/keyboard by playing Borderlands and Left 4 Dead (1 and 2) with me and my friends. It's a much easier experience when you have friends who have your back and are patient enough to help you muddle through it. Both L4D and Borderlands have a large group of active Penny Arcade players, if you need some friends to help you.

The same goes for most games, actually. I knew practically nothing of video game football before getting a PS2, but having friends who were familiar with football games really helped me learn how to play Madden when it came out at launch. Now, I like playing the occasional game of NCAA Football, and I can run plays, pass, receive, pick, and even run the option successfully on occasion.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For those thinking of jumping into EVE, you should probably take a gander at some of these videos before buying.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/EVE_University_Class_Library#Core_Mechanics

Just the "core mechanics" videos alone comprised of 46 videos, each 6-15 minutes each. D:

Or just jump in and go for broke :P

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Decoy wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I think I'm going to send (a completely futile) email to the support team telling them how god fuck annoying a full page ad at the top of the site is.

I'm going to laugh when, as a joke, they respond with, "The ad goes away once you buy the game."

Edit: And considering the quote they chose to use in order to better sell the game is pretty much "It's pretty looking", I'm not sure if I'd bite.

Not even that, there's a caveat.

"... among dungeon crawlers."

As if there has been a major-release dungeon crawler lately to compare it to.

Well, I just submitted this support question.
    COLOSSAL Ad Banner

I'm sure nothing will come of this complaint, but I feel a need to vent my frustration regardless. There is absolutely no reason for this gigantic, full-screen, un-minimizable ad banner at the top of the store page not to contain any sideboob whatsoever. It's offensive and I consider it on the verge of being abusive.

Thank you for taking the time to hear my rant.

Strangely, I actually do feel better now.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Iolo wrote: »
    Strangely, I actually do feel better now.

That's all that matters.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jephery wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Try Half-Life 2.

Seconded. Also, Call of Duty 4 (Modern Warfare 1) is really good (MW2 is good, though not as good as the first), but expensive (30$) for an old game. Buy it if its on the summer sale.

OH! BIOSHOCK! The first one is amazing and the second is decent.

Third'd-ed!

I suggest you get The Orange Box for the most bang for your buck. Its almost certain to go on sale during the inevitable summer sale.

Also, Half-Life 2 and its two expansions are fully supported in coop with a mod.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I almost feel like I should install Desura, simply because of all these indie games. In fact, I think I will.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone know anything about this Hacker Evolution Duality thing? Looks a LOT like Uplink.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, HL2 is probably your best bet to ease into FPS. You may enjoy Borderlands, preferably MP with friends or the Steam group, because unless you're sniping your aimed accuracy doesn't matter as much and it's co-op not competitive. STALKER can be brutally hard at the beginning and get really easy later, but it's worth it, and as someone who is a baby for scary games STALKER has a few moments but is still totally worth it. Crysis on easy should be easy to manage, what with suit powers helping.

Like a million other people, I've still got gift copies of HL2 and Ep1, so I could hook you up with those if you like.

If Ep1 is still available, I'd take it. :winky: I ended up with HL2 and Ep2 and somehow not Ep1 back during the x-mas sales.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Bioshock 2 was pretty much Bioshock with the soul kinda sucked out.

While I hate objectvism pretty full-tilt, Bioshock at least gives the characters and concept some credit. Hey, Ryan DID build an underwater city and they got cool electric powers out of it. I dunno, there's at least some respect and not just setting it up to be knocked down. The fact that the game also has one of the finest deconstructions of the medium doesn't hurt either.

Bioshock 2 feels like they had no idea where to go with the setting. So, uh, fuck it. Throw in the ideological opposite and call it a day. Lamb has none of the charisma or charm that Ryan had. Which...it's a bit weird that the collectivist has no people skills.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

If Ep1 is still available, I'd take it. :winky: I ended up with HL2 and Ep2 and somehow not Ep1 back during the x-mas sales.

Yeah man, I have a gift copy of HL2: Epsiode 1 lying around. Let me know what is easier for you, a Steam friend request thing or an email. If it's an email feel free to PM it to me, otherwise I'll shoot you a request.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about this Hacker Evolution Duality thing? Looks a LOT like Uplink.

What I've heard about those games is that Uplink is better.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Half-Life 2 is a poor choice for a starter FPS. It takes a certain amount of FPS skill to play through it, and most of the early weapons demand an accuracy that new players to the genre simply do not have. Not to mention the difficulty of some of the setpieces that are separate from learning how to play a FPS (mostly the vehicle sections). If he's learning how to wrangle a Mouse/Keyboard or controller, there are other easier options.

My girlfriend isn't a big FPS fan, and she hates competitive games (which most multiplayer FPS are). But she learned how to use a mouse/keyboard by playing Borderlands and Left 4 Dead (1 and 2) with me and my friends. It's a much easier experience when you have friends who have your back and are patient enough to help you muddle through it. Both L4D and Borderlands have a large group of active Penny Arcade players, if you need some friends to help you.

I agree that a good cooperative FPS is probably the best way to start, especially if you have friends or a good community to play with. Left 4 Dead was my first FPS period and when I started it I didn't even know how to move, now thanks to those friends I'm able to play and enjoy the entire genre easily.

I would argue that Half-Life 2 is a good second FPS, though. It was mine and did I ever kick myself for having dismissed that game for like half a decade or so.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I almost feel like I should install Desura, simply because of all these indie games. In fact, I think I will.

I installed it the other day.

It's ok. It needs more stuff and I found it a little difficult to navigate.

It was nice to see all the indie games be the star of the show instead of the AAA titles.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

It was nice to see all the indie games be the star of the show instead of the AAA titles.

It is a bit awkward, but it does let me register the several different bundles I've acquired over the months. So I now have a halfway decent list of stuff. I have found myself playing indie games more and more lately, though, so I figure a platform dedicated to indie games can't be a bad idea. Admittedly (most of) the best ones come to Steam anyway.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Portal 1 seems like a good choice for getting back into computer FPS's.

It's all about movement and aside from turrets and environmental hazards there isn't much actively trying to kill you.

Though it might set ones expectations a bit high.

My girlfriend plays little but Sims stuff and she's up to the 19th test chamber.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    @InkSplat: Play Max Payne 2! I don't know if the first one still holds up but the second one is still good.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    :arrow:Thank you Decoy! You're a classy gentleman.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Figures. Guess I'll just have to wait for a proper sequel... or that Subversion thing.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

It is a bit awkward, but it does let me register the several different bundles I've acquired over the months. So I now have a halfway decent list of stuff. I have found myself playing indie games more and more lately, though, so I figure a platform dedicated to indie games can't be a bad idea. Admittedly (most of) the best ones come to Steam anyway.

I've been playing largely indies myself. Any good places to see sales and bundles? Always seems like I miss them.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, the Borderlands community is still pretty strong around here? If so, I might have to save up/snap it up if it goes on sale, as I've definitely been interested in it for a while now.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Figures. Guess I'll just have to wait for a proper sequel... or that Subversion thing.

Subversion basically is what they intended Uplink to be when they were in the concept design stage.

Also: I like Desura for the easy mod installations.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Borderlands is probably a good place to start, especially if you like action RPG mechanics.

If you want to sink your teeth into a "pure oldschool" style shooter, the Painkiller Black edition is good stuff. Despite its theme it has no scares. Just tons of atmosphere, it's really creative in that department, and some of the most insane weapons around. Serious Sam HD pack is good on that front too, if you prefer something more bright, humorous and colorful. Serious Sam HD also has great co-op too.

If you feel like it, I suggest grabbing the Doom shareware and plugging it into the Skulltag Doom sourceport. That'll give you a big enough taste to see if you like it's approach, which is very arcadey. Fast paced, simple but satisfying mechanics and some of the greatest level design around, to this day. If you do enjoy that sort of thing I suggest getting Doom and Doom II, Quake, Duke 3D and Blood. If you don't mind the dated graphics and maybe having to fiddle around a bit to get stuff working like you want it to work those games are still extremely rewarding. All of those can be obtained either on Steam or GoG.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    On the other hand, if you want something that's beautiful, has wonderful shooter mechanics, and is frequently absurdly cheap, Metro 2033 is fantastic.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It can also be really unforgiving, especially when you consider its checkpoint mechanics.

But yes, it's a beautiful game, with solid shooting and a great setting.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Shame its only beautiful if your PC can run it, and it isn't what I'd call the most optimized game in the world.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Shame its only beautiful if your PC can run it, and it isn't what I'd call the most optimized game in the world.

Sad, but true. Hopefully Last Light is a wee bit more optimized than 2033.

Decoy on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And it's fucking hard.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I would not even consider Metro among any kind of introductory FPS's for a person relatively new to the genre. Kinda like saying someone who liked Warcraft 2 should try out Civ 4 because they seem to like strategy games.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    Yeah I would not even consider Metro among any kind of introductory FPS's for a person relatively new to the genre. Kinda like saying someone who liked Warcraft 2 should try out Civ 4 because they seem to like strategy games.

Plus it's up there on the creepy scale. Don't get me wrong, it's by no means Amnesia *shudder* but when I'm getting chase by stuff faster than me and screaming, all while in the dark, I tend to pee a little.

Decoy on