As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote:
    If you're using the latest patch the electors will tell you why they are voting they way they are

They all became -1000 "You are not eligible for the throne!" I suspect it was the Queen thing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    That was my assumption, as I was emperor immediately before and had 6/7 votes when Austria suddenly became Emperor and I was ineligible. And yeah I have a ton of wars with Austria to right to acquire all my land. I've seen messages about other countries getting Promissory Notes for a while now, maybe 20-30 years? Mostly Italian and Scandinavian, if that matters.

That one is primarily designed to start in Muslim/Latin countries and spread out from there, preferring Europe, so that sounds about right (especially if one Scandinavian country got them and spread it to its neighbors).

Now you just have to free Scotland and get them to form the Scottish Union. Speaking of the Scottish Union, I saw that Great Britain had formed in the LP. I guess that is the downfall of Scotland's bid for freedom.

• Options
    Scotland is still free! They're not even an English vassal. But they only have Lothian.

• Options
    Hmph, Austria was kind of a pushover as it turned out. It helped they were rejecting peace deals that gave them a stability hit all the way to -3. Still only seeing Promissory Notes, about 1618. Spread to Italy now, so hopefully I'll get it relatively soon as I invade those places. Also: 11 cores left to re-conquer.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Karelia is annoyingly strong vs invasions

Phyphor on
  • Options
    I haven't futzed around there in this game and they collapsed in my Svealand game before I invaded their territory.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote:
    Karelia is annoyingly strong vs invasions

That is probably the 15% defensiveness bonus for a province with the Sami religion, so it takes longer to siege their forts. But along with Lappland they're the only starting Sami and tend to get rolled over due to holy wars (which is the primary reason it's there). Of course if they managed to spread out southward and convert a bunch of people they'd be more impressive, but they tend not to be that successful. Their religion is probably pretty overpowered it you actually play with them. I think it's even the religion that gives you the most missionaries.

The game does not like Karelia or Scotland.

As for inventions the main ones I'm concerned with are the steam engine/machine tools stuff. The steam engine 'tree' begins in 1655 and should pick up more steam (...hah) around 1790. The machine tools aren't completely implemented yet, but start in 1740. Book Money is the only other one that would be active yet.

There's a list of the basic timeframes in the techinventions.txt in the events folder - and the changelog (which is probably more accurate, since it was easier to correct than repeatedly scrolling up while writing events). Most of them can start about 10 years earlier than the years listed there if someone's tech level is high enough.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    It took me well over 5 years to get a 4 province peace deal from them (very early game, before I really have my steamroller set up, talking 1420s). If I went toe to toe on their stack they'd kick my ass morale wise (didn't help that I didn't have the tech 5 units either); if I went for a spread out and siege strategy, they'd end up just coming along and wiping my siegers out. Eventually, I got them down after running away into Novgorod where they couldn't follow me a dozen times

edit: As, that's why they take forever to siege. 6 months and zero progress! Sami does seem pretty OP early on. 20% PE, +1 heretic and heathen, 0.25 more missionaries. Of course, it probably doesn't fit with my holy war cheese and lack of holy sites makes it eventually lag missionary wise

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My Karelians are still Sami and routinely kick the shit out of the other Russian powers whenever they get too big.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Karelia round two: siege of Novgorod... 934 days

• Options
    Also Scotland with the win! England down to one province (not London!)

• Options
    That's curious. Oh! Morocco has started colonizing the Caribbean and now Holland's capital is in Abnaki (the US state of Maine for those who don't have such things memorized). Which amuses me.

• Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    Karelia got absolutely huge in my first game that went up to about 1700... They had gobbled up everything from most of Sweden all the way to the Golden Horde type area, though not very far south. Their conversion from Sami seemed perfectly timed, in that they took a lot of land quickly and were lucky to not get much at all in the way of Crusades called on them before converting to help them hold their winnings. Scotland has gotten creamed in every game I've played so far, though.

I've only really played as Vermandois, Aquitaine, and Astrakhan, but next game maybe I'll play as one of those two.

• Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    So, ya'll play this game differently from me. I hate ignoring the relations and running amok. And I suck at it. Brief report (since its 1 AM). King's still alive. But he's now sick and old so should die off soon. Inflation is at 4.9 as I've burned some cash in some wars. We protect most of Italy and all of the Catholic German states. In a few more years we could be emperor. We are Papal controller. We are def. of the faith. The carib isles are getting colonized. Castille is finally making a real push into Leon. Byzantium may collapse as Zenta thrashes it (I've tried to prevent that by funding Zeneta's enemis...). Egypt continues to make inroads into N. Italy and S. France. Most of "France" is Catholic now. The world still doesn't hate me. Will post something longer probably tomorrow and (with luck) it will be the end of my turn. Sorry for going slow.

Oh, poland is collapsing in the face of Bohemia...

Zenata and Egypt scare me.

• Options
    I tried to stay on good terms with Aquitaine and Holland (which eventually became the Netherlands) in the hopes of plying my influence to the south and east instead (without much care for the French minors). And Scotland too, but we all see how that turned out (I didn't have a navy to let me interdict the English). My support for Aquitaine actually dragged me into the largest war of my turn, with Aquitaine, Holland and me versus Egypt and Castille (technically Aquitaine was also at war with Milan too, so they were being thrashed pretty good). I also tried to keep relations up with Brandenburg (of the Scottish dynasty) against the Bohemian aggressor emperor.

The English would probably not look favorably on my under-the-table support of Scotland if they knew. I also funneled some support to Sharkil (near the Black Sea), because I was hoping they'd become the dominant Cuman minor but that doesn't seemed to have panned out in the slightest. I didn't offer much support to the German states; I didn't like the emperor, but I wanted to begin securing the area around Aachen for the potential reforging of the Frankish Empire. Plus we are the heirs to the Kingdom of the Germans - we need no pretender crown to proclaim our dominance!

...I do neglect marriages though. I think the first thing Phyphor did was send off 4 diplomats for 4 royal marriages.

• Options
    I tried to stay on good terms with Aquitaine and Holland (which eventually became the Netherlands) in the hopes of plying my influence to the south and east instead (without much care for the French minors). And Scotland too, but we all see how that turned out (I didn't have a navy to let me interdict the English). My support for Aquitaine actually dragged me into the largest war of my turn, with Aquitaine, Holland and me versus Egypt and Castille (technically Aquitaine was also at war with Milan too, so they were being thrashed pretty good). I also tried to keep relations up with Brandenburg (of the Scottish dynasty) against the Bohemian aggressor emperor.

The English would probably not look favorably on my under-the-table support of Scotland if they knew. I also funneled some support to Sharkil (near the Black Sea), because I was hoping they'd become the dominant Cuman minor but that doesn't seemed to have panned out in the slightest. I didn't offer much support to the German states; I didn't like the emperor, but I wanted to begin securing the area around Aachen for the potential reforging of the Frankish Empire. Plus we are the heirs to the Kingdom of the Germans - we need no pretender crown to proclaim our dominance!

...I do neglect marriages though. I think the first thing Phyphor did was send off 4 diplomats for 4 royal marriages.

That sounds about right. In this game it was just to make sure our legitimacy stayed up. Usually it's Brittany, Aquitaine, Castille & Leon in the hopes that at least one of them will have a weak succession that I can force a PU on (has only happened with Norway in the game I'm currently playing)

• Options
    Our bones have grown weary. So weary these years. Our courtiers smile and give silly answers about Our marvelous health. Even though We are not the greatest of our line, We know that they are lies. But We will continue the story of Our overlong interlude in this world and hope that Our son can bring peace to Europe. Our two reliances have always been on Our nobles and the Church. We would barely have been anything without their strong and constant support. To this end I have supported policies that have brought us closer to both.

eu31k.png

To the East we are troubled by the spread of the Mohammedans. Zeneta presents a constant threat to the Glorious City. Our cousins in Egypt, as always, forget their mandate and instead of pushing back the Infidel play their games in our ancestral lands (ED: I kind of like that, in fact, looking back we probably should have kept one dynasty and just give them cores in France since they actually did better than the "senior" line according to my *ahem* brilliant narrative; which also reminds me I've gotten some crap rulers). Byzantium faced repeated challenges these last few years but managed to survive them all and has not let their eye wander as much as our Cousins. They solidify their ancient lands against brutal odds.

eu35hc.png

The former tripartate kings of Illyria that my father taught me about also continue to solidfy. Maybe this signals a trend for Europe? Are the small princes of my youth with their God given dominions passing from the face of this world? Could this lead to tyrany? A small prince can be opposed. I wonder if any of my people feel that is possible. We recognize the needs for a solid state. Germany and Italy are the last of the old princes. But Germany has abandoned God and war is the result. Italy, well Italy is cursed by Italians. They either give one dinner, poison, or war. Sometimes all three.

eu36k.png

We also wonder how we can be a king over so far flung a dominion. I will never travel to this new world. Our recent explorations have shown that their is a huge continent to the South that seems to be only partially inhabited and that is close to the size of all of Europe including some of near Asia (ED: Finally rounded South America).

eu37l.png

We will concentrate on the rich agricultural islands we have found for now. Many strange new and interesting plants grow there including some from the East We've been unable to grow in our climate.

eu38.png

The rebellious Flanderens have also taxed Our patience for too long. Castile is occupied as is Brandenburg. Their protectors are gone. Our army has been reformed. It is time to teach them a lesson taught by our best generals.

eu39.png

The Papal States have abandoned us, but their duties lie elsewhere. We are disappointed by our inconstant Cousins in Catalunya. Their relative sovereignty is an issue that my son may have to resolve.

eu310d.png

They send a token force into our territories that is immediately crushed. They send a larger force into Calais to lay siege. We able to destroy most of their primary force after they complete the siege which leaves their forces exhausted. We counter siege their token force and they surrender within a day like cowards. We dispatch our forces to lay a detailed siege to their provinces.

eu311.png
    eu312.png
    eu313x.png
    eu314.png

The lone kingdom in North Africa loyal to Rome then submits in 1521 to Sicily. We hope that this allows those loyal to Rome to hold on against our less loyal Cousins in the Kingdom of Egypt.

eu318h.png

Milan grows temporarily at the expense of Venice. We see this as a good thing as a strong Milan can check our Cousins growth all too close to our territories, but one should not put faith in Italian permanence. Unwise that I am, I should have known that much.

eu319.png

In June 1521 though we are able to humble Flanders. Europe frowns on us taking the city of Flanders for some ungodly reason, but we will correct that eventually. I have returned the dominion in large part to my fathers borders.

eu321.png

Our expansion in these new islands continue.

eu323.png
    eu324s.png

Then, the greatest experience of my life. I am able to travel to Rome where our Dearest Father proclaims me defender of the faith. I am humbled by his choice and vow to continue reforms that will strengthen the One True Faith in our realm and around the world. It is hear that I begin to contemplate an active defense of the true christian princes in Germany and begin to modify my protection policies in the Iberian peninsula.

eu325.png

It troubles me that Castile, my religious brother, has so often been my enemy. It also troubles me that they no longer have the sword of Austria keeping them in check even if the war dragged on for far too long.

eu326k.png

Reports return from the east that Byzantium has again been involved in a disastrous series of battles. I wish that the previous unions of the Patriarch of Constantinople and Rome would be accepted by the people of the Eastern Rome.

eu327.png

Some of the people are upset on my reliance on the nobles. I can understand this even if I must not allow it. We try to rule too much. However with neighbors that do the same is there any other choice? We must grow the government to survive. We run the risk of becoming an Oriental tyrant. Will Our sons think of themselves as glorious deities? Petty pagan sun kings? (ED: While we think of kings as absolute, they never were. Some of them even worried about such things.)

eu328.png

(...more coming...)

• Options
    Really need to take out those pirates.

• Options
    Our success amongst the nobles has allowed for the development of Fraternal Societies. This has improved the development of our diplomatic corp which should have a lasting benefit.

eu329v.png

Nearer to home further consolidation occurs.

eu330.png
    eu332f.png

And one of our first colonies, Acadia, falls to a native attack.

eu331.png

Great Brittan also faces a minor set back. We are later forced to abandon our defense of Cornwall and it becomes a vassal.

eu333.png

(more coming)

• Options
    Our attempts to stabilize Italy have resulted in Us being dragged into a war with an already weakened Milan. We have no intent of establishing dominance in Italy but we want to make sure that the Italian states are a check to Egypt and therefore have to involve ourselves in Parma's defense.

eu337.png

Bresgau (sp?) supports Milan but is quickly crushed.

eu338.png

During this interlude our Cousins continue to make headway in what should be our holdings

eu339.png

Our Cousins in Egypt have of course become involved for the exact same reasons. One wonders why Milan even attempted the conquest of Parma, it was obvious suicide. They capitulate after taking Parma which results in Egypt gaining yet another Mediterranean possession.

eu345v.png

Since I have no wish for a substantially weakened Milan I give them a very simple offer requiring the cancellation of a few treaties. My ministers assure me they will accept and Milan has already offered me most of their provinces. Yet...

eu348v.png

We are upset because the cost of this venture has distracted Us from the east where Byzantium has finally accepted losses that are, in Our mind, not acceptable.

eu351.png

Milan eventually sees reason. But, as it does, Bourbon launches an attack on the rump of Anjou which we are protecting. This puts Us in a bind. Borbon is Catholic, Anjou is not. Yet Our previous policies have not yet expired. To this end we accept the burden of command. Our goal is defend Anjou and then quickly subdue Borbon and bring it back firmly into the Kingdom of Vermandois.

Burbon's over-reliance on horse makes the first victory rather easy. Borbon now backs down quickly.

eu353.png
    eu354.png

Our earlier war had brought in Brandenburg. This war had sat despite attempts to resolve the dispute. Our lack of good relations resulted in a very difficult time negotiating the passage to Brandenburg. Finally, 1526 we negotiate a path for our armies.

eu355.png

With Borbon submitting Castille removes itself from the field.

eu356.png

And the world finally begins to recognize Our HISTORIC borders. I am angered that it has taken this long.

eu357.png

We fight two bloody battles with Brandenburg trying to bring the war to a close (one shown below). Brandenburg eventually accepts a white peace. We could have pushed harder, but that would only have resulted in problems we don't need and the cost of many men.

eu358.png

Malaria has been plaguing Champagne and while on retreat there I am struck ill. I have to retire for several months during which time I rely on the nobles heavily to continue the administration. My refusal to relenquish my crown results in various false rumors springing up in Europe (ED: loss of 50 legitimacy).

eu359.png

Centralization efforts, the advancement of the Nobility, and an increase in communications through the spread post offices and roads has resulted in a significant advance in our government.

eu364n.png

Mayan and Aztec revolutionaries attacking our provinces has resulted in my generals taking an initiative that We find troubling. They take and hold additional provinces in the new world. The battles aren't so much battles as slaughters. The Aztecs were foolish to provoke this response.

eu370tsfa.png

My illness would not have been as troublesome if our dynasty was better known in Europe. To this end I continue an aggressive policy of dynastic marriage.

eu371.png

Brittany had earlier lost a war with the English and had been forced to annul several treaties. However it quickly came back an continued its growth.

eu373.png

As do our Cousins

eu374.png

The Bourbons involve themselves in a troublesome war again. This time Europe is more settled with our position and is willing to allow us to vassalize without serious diplomatic repercussions. This gives us a very strong border state in the south.

eu390.png

In 1535 Our family is blessed in a most spectacular way. Our nephew is made the Most Holy Father. We look forward to hearing His wisdom in Our counsels.

eu388.png

Leon continues to lose ground. We must attribute this to their adoption of heresy.

eu385.png

Egypt has meanwhile finally forced something that my councilors call "Upper" Egypt to submit. They are may be forced to eventually look at Zeneta having nothing else in their part of the world to oppose them of any merit. We have also seen our small island colonies continue to flourish.

eu375.png

(ED: This batch is now done...will spin it up again soon.)

• Options
    I seem to have missed a shot of all of the islands. We have Lucia and Trinidad too...and I think Barbados. I'm actually a little worried at the speed that we're pulling this off. I've finally seen some ships from Leon but no colonies yet.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    It's entirely possible to colonize everything before the AI gets to it, though keeping them from getting an island or two is kinda tricky. Do any AI countries have quest?

Phyphor on
  • Options
    So notes from my game: I got the "Book Money" invention after it was invented somewhere in Germany, I think Thuringia. I *THINK* it worked and cost me 1500 ducats of trade investment, but not 100% sure. It didn't give me inflation or cost my treasury as it suggested were the most likely options. Promissory Note continues to spread around but I haven't got it.

Also, you should add a check on the Vermandois monarchy events to check if the current government is a republic. I was merrily conquering all my new Frankish Empire cores when the one fired that makes the government an administrative monarchy. Then my kickass 8/9/9 dude (seriously!) became King, died immediately and I've got a 14 year regency before I can fix it (stability was already low when it happened from a slider move and some random event AND I was fighting a war with Bohemia, England, and some minors so -4 stability was a bad idea). Still missing Oldenberg, Wurtemberg, Bern, Nice, and Provence. Though Sardinia (owning Nice) is my vassal, I'm just trying to convince them to get annexed, the assholes. Austria is almost fully destroyed too, which is of course good times.

As for the AIs and colonization, they're a bit slow to it. The race has been kicking up for me now in the early 1600s and I am not at all involved. If I get two more CoTs I'll make one colonist every 10 years woooooo.

• Options
    The government events are designed to work in a game for Vermandois where Vermandois does not change government type except through event (to that effect they only apply to BUR or CRL). I can add in a check for republics to help people playing the mod overcome that hurdle in the next update.

Also I was starting to wonder if that chain was stalled, so it's good to see that the administrative monarchy one has finally gotten around to firing. Also, I approve of this trend towards aristocracy in the face of the vile Republicans who seek to bring us the "free" and "egalitarian" society of a democratic government (...at least for another century or more).

Now I'm disappointed that Catalunya is most likely not applicable to form Occitania; they seem to be working towards a prime position for it. And Egypt is run by jerks. I see Brandenburg sort of exploded outward into Poland's territory, but how are things farther East in the steppe (...aside from Sharkil attacking Byzantium's Crimean holdings)?

• Options
    My Catalunya has taken most of Occitania (well, I have half of it too) and the entire eastern half of Iberia and a variety of colonial possessions. I've been impressed.

• Options
    I really can't see very far yet so I don't know. I actually like that Egypt has done so well. I think it is "historically" accurate that they'd meddle back in France. I'd like to propose that I and all others stop colonization until we see two other _countries_ in the new world. I'm going to hold till I get input. I don't want to "cheat" by being too quick. We already have a sizable foothold.

• Options
    Louis VII has been established as a pretty diplomatic dude, so it's entirely reasonable from my perspective.

So, further stuff: I got the Administrative Monarchy event after I got the Constitutional Monarchy event and it reverted me. Intended? Also, my next king is Moses, found in some reeds. And has 9 ADM, so woo. Promissory Note event definitely works and I lost a ton of investment for sure this time. Which was sad, but functioning so huzzah for that. Bosnia has discovered the vacuum, but that particular idea/invention has yet to spread after maybe 5-10 years. Not sure if that's intended.

Morocco finally has a land colony in South America, but it is Catalunya/English dominated. I'm finally taking the rest of Occitania from them and then Portugal invaded so they might be collapsing now. Also, does anyone know what happens when you annex a hereditary Holy Roman Emperor? Does it dissolve the HRE entirely or are new electors selected or what? Because I'm three or four wars with Austria away. The most amusing thing, I think, though is that one province minor Parma now leads Unions with Bavaria (a small Bavaria, but still!) and Mantua, who own four provinces in central Italy. Kind of cracked me up.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Unintended sideeffect of the parley setup for more advanced governments, I can fix that as well as the republic thing in the next version.

The money regulation techs spread (but may not spread) for everyone, because they are adopted ideas, and some places didn't use them). The steam engine (and eventual machine tools) events work a bit differently.
    The the first 3 steam engine ideas only have an announcement (Discovery of the Vacuum (corresponding to Guericke's discovery), Invention of the Steam Cylinder and Piston (for Papin's experiment), and Invention of the Atmospheric Engine (for Newcomen's engine)) - assuming the scholarly community simply built on others ideas like happened historically (like Papin, who basically had all the principals of a steam engine but set it aside to work on other experiments). Once you get to the Newcomen engine provinces with minable resources will get events where they take up the use of steam engines (although I think a scope may be off for the country flag so it may not spread right). This increases the chances of developing the much more important Watt engine (Newcomen's was used primarily for pumping water out of mines; Watt's let you hook it to machines because it performed actions on an up and down stroke).

Then another announcement will be made for the lucky country that develops Watt's steam engine first (event: Double-Action Steam Engine). This new technology can then spread to sufficiently engine-focused countries (who can increase their chances of getting the tech by buying patent licenses, or relying on their own people's ingenuity to develop similar designs). Those people can then discover the Trevithick engine (event: Pressurized Steam Engine Utilized), which is a practical "high" pressure steam engine, which corresponds with Vicky's Practical Steam Engine (I haven't included the event to spread this to other people once the first person discovers it, so that is where it effectively ends at the moment).

There are further inventions that are unlikely before the game ends, but if someone is sufficiently advanced they could develop up to Corliss engines, which are equivalent to Vicky's High and Low Pressure Steam Engines. The Trevithick engine is also required for railroads (with the hope that by 1836 major European powers will have 2-3 provinces with experimental railroads, and the first Watt adopter will hopefully have more).

Of course, if the event chains completely fail then we can just decide who gets what tech based on location and how much we like them.

President Rex on
  • Options
    I'm about permanently at "this technology is 15 years ahead of its time so is more expensive..." on all 5. When you get rolling with France (or in our case, pseudo France) shit gets out of hand.

• Options
    Suggestions, and I'm purposefully avoiding modding:
    * Can we trigger off of annexations? If so would dropping the stability by two for a single state annexation and by 1 for every province work? This would represent minor disruptions based on growth and would model the difference between large rapid growth states and small stunning victories well (one would be brutal the other frustrating but minor).

* I know we can trigger on province count, how about wealth? We could include a "Western-Oriental Tyrant!" That dropped relations with neighbors and bumped BB to reflect the over all feel of the world to an emerging uni-polar super power.

• Options
    I should note that _both_ essentially happened to Napoleon.

• Options
    1543 (I think...just closed it...) and Le roi est mort! Vive le roi! (if I remember my piddling amount of French correctly).

So we need the next in line. I'll have my final report up either late today or tomorrow.

• Options
    BTW, how does one take a picture of the whole world? I forgot the cheat code. If I get that I'll drop pictures of same tonight.

• Options
    There's no trigger for annexing someone; as far as I'm aware there's only on_diplomatic_annex (in on_actions.txt), which - as it says - only fires for diploannexing (although it would be possible to have 2 or more events depending on the annexed state's size). I can think of ways that could be potentially implemented with province flags (with province events that clear and set flags), but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort put in.

There are a decent number of triggers for wealth and size. You can go just based on treasury size (but anyone can stockpile money) to more advanced things like monthly and yearly income. You can also measure size by number of provinces or ports or COTs and a few other things.

I think F12 is the map key. It may be Shift+F12.

Also does this put us at a Louis VIII or have we decided to change our naming scheme up a bit?

• Options
    edited July 2011
    F12 does in fact take the map screenshot and shalmelo is next line for the throne.

My world in 1700, linked again for size.

Notes: Americas are about properly colonized, could be slightly more so (and would be if I weren't a contended world view) and the other stuff is about right. Morocco is apparently starting to move in on the East Indies and grabbed Malacca at some point. Galicia/Morocco are hard to distinguish on this map, but Galicia has most of the New World colonies except the West Indies and those two in either Venezuela or Guyana? I forget. I enjoy that Ireland has colonized Haiti. Hell, I generally enjoy when the AI managed to form Ireland, so kudos to Tyrone in this game. I'm... a little out of hand here and have personal unions with Aragon and Milan. About to inherit Aragon when my King dies. I also annexed Austria and confirmed that when you annex the hereditary Emperor the HRE goes poof. Iraq (!!!) has invented the steam piston.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    When I did that steam took the shot...of the screen. So I'm skipping that. Working on the report.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    In mid 1537 we again react to bring peace to the Empire. A peace the Emperor seems unwilling to enforce. No wonder heresy has spread so quickly and so far. My son, now a grown man, is showing much promise. Maybe he will be the emperor that the Empire so desperately needs. Schwaben is small, and it is true that they are rebels and that their rightful ruler is Bavaria, but the state has already been acknowledged by the Empire.

eu31m.png

While we deal with the Bavarians we use our influence in the Papal court to excommunicate the English king. We feel remorse for this, but we fear his involvement in both Scandinavia and in our lands. He acts as if his people are scattered over the whole world.

In 1538 the world continues to accept our earlier conquests in Africa. The province of Sufi receives an official Governor in the person of Duke Armitage. We hope that their incorporation as true citizens reduces the amount of public violence we have hitherto seen.

Our cousins cannot resist manipulating the Italian princes. In 1540 they invade Manatua. We had earlier proclaimed our protection of Manatua and hope that a brief war will leave few dead and the Egyptian interference ended.

eu34.png

The Aztec try to seize the oppurtunity for a reconquest of their territories. This is rapidly put down. We demand no more territory but do demand 750,000 ducats which will fund our war with Egypt.

eu35m.png

The Egyptians throw a considerable land force against Franche-Comte and take it by storm. However, this time we have an army available to counterattack. We are able to defeat them and the foolish Egyptian commander flees deeper into our territories where we cut him off and disperse the army once and for all.

eu36.png
    eu37u.png
    eu38p.png

The end result is a humbled Egypt and a newly established Provance allied to their true overlords. My son will hopefully be able to bring them fully into the fold.

eu39.png

Austria and Hungry are shaping up along with Castille in being my families longest term rivals. To this end We had hoped to fund both sides in the war and drag them into a longer conflict. Other matters, including a building program, distracted Us. However, Bohemia did lose some provinces various minor powers and Austria and Bohemia signed a white peace after many men lost and provinces ravaged. Again, We are effected by the guilt all rulers must feel. A certain schadenfreude is a habit of mind in every ruler.

eu311.png

While we did not intend it to happen the crown of Ferrera passes to us. We celebrate with Our people the new Double Crown. It has been many generations since we have officially held two Kingdoms.

eu311.png

But even as We celebrate in the coming years We grow more ill. We have already heard that the nobles in Ferrera conspire to elect another king not of our blood! I could have forgiven them if they had at least chosen a worthy pretender! But my son, I beg you, avenge this not for the sake of conquest, but for the sake of our personal honor. You have no need to force them to live under our customs, but to have them break Divine law should not be allowed. We have worked to hard to make Europe recognize us as equals again to have our honor slighted in such a way.

eu313.png

ECONOMIC SLIDERS:
    eu314.png

POLICY SLIDERS:
    eu315j.png

THE WORLD:
    eu3mapbur15472281.png

Please note Zeneta's size. I believe they are first place in army size (depending on where the Ming are). We are, however, the richest nation BY FAR on the planet. I believe England is next at one half of our income.

starkiller on
  • Options
    Oh, and we have Leon now in the NW. I have sent colonists but only to Trinidad to die (where I've consistently lost the colony name of St. Trinite). I would _like_ if we just keep that up until someone, probably England, makes it to the NW.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    So you kicked the Egypt out of Provence and Avignon...and then they just slide over and make their European holdings contiguous by taking Liguria? They are devious.

Also a female heir - how quaint. Especially since we've been on a Louis kick for about a 70 years (and the chance of Vermandois having a female heir is about 8%). Unfortunately I haven't added any new events for having a female ruler, so it will be business as usual if she lives long enough for Charles to die with her as heir (although despite the Frankish focus on Salian primogeniture (male inheritance), Charlemagne had his daughters educated and closely looked after. So if not a big women's rights guy politically, he at least supported them personally).

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    So obviously we need some Egypt/Zenata wars so they can bash each other and we can seize our rightful territories in the south of France.

Our kings continue to live forever.

Atmospheric pump event works and is spreading to all my mining provinces (and in other nations as well, but I don't get pop-ups for those; I've seen notes about it in Karelia at the very least).

enlightenedbum on