As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well, looks like that's $30 I'll be saving!

The list of Lion-compatible stuff from Ars Technica:
    iMac (mid 2007 or later)
    MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
    MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
    Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
    Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
    Xserve (Early 2009)

According to Ars, if it's not on this list, you can't get 10.8 from the App Store.

hmm i thimk i have a 2008 aluminum macbook. w

edit, just looked, i have a 5,1 so i think that makes me ok with lion

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    elevature wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Guess that leaves me out, got an early 2008 Macbook. Last one before they switched to aluminum shell, I think.

Same one I've got. and considering how slow it is on Lion, it's probably good I can't install Mountain Lion. I'm already getting constant beachballs.

If you don't mind spending a bit on it, swap your HDD out for a SSD. It's super-easy on the Polycarbonate Macbooks and it'll make a world of difference in terms of performance.

Of course, max out your ram as well, if you haven't already.

Edit: Looks like, as expected, the Messages Beta will cease to function in Lion when Mountain Lion drops.

Problem is that my girlfriend's Mac Mini won't be able to run Mountain Lion...so I dunno if I want to stick with adium or what now.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    Have you done a fresh install of Lion, as opposed to the typical upgrade?

I did this on my old aluminum Macbook... it made a pretty big difference.

That plus and SSD upgrade and maxed out RAM should make for a very noticeable upgrade.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Man, what MoLo Messages really needs is a buddy list. It feels so weird "chatting" on a desktop without one.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Man, what MoLo Messages really needs is a buddy list. It feels so weird "chatting" on a desktop without one.

I kind of like the iOS style list on the left, chat on the right method.

iMessages has no way of knowing if someone is online or not, so a buddy list is much less useful.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I don't mind not having availability indicators. Just as long as there's a list of my regular correspondents. I kind of solved it myself by just starting a blank conversation with the 6 or 7 people I actually message and leaving them there on the sidebar.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I don't mind not having availability indicators. Just as long as there's a list of my regular correspondents. I kind of solved it myself by just starting a blank conversation with the 6 or 7 people I actually message and leaving them there on the sidebar.

yeah, it is a total self-solved problem.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    floobie wrote:

That plus and SSD upgrade and maxed out RAM should make for a very noticeable upgrade.

I've been thinking about an SSD upgrade for a while, but I'm wondering if it's worth putting more money into this machine instead of saving it towards a new Mac. I won't be able to afford one for a while, so speeding this one up would be nice, but at the same time that means it's even longer till I can upgrade.

I put some extra RAM in here a while back. What's the max for these machines? I'm at 4GB now.

Haven't done a fresh install, I've just been upgrading with each new OS. I might consider that.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    elevature wrote:
    floobie wrote:

I've been thinking about an SSD upgrade for a while, but I'm wondering if it's worth putting more money into this machine instead of saving it towards a new Mac. I won't be able to afford one for a while, so speeding this one up would be nice, but at the same time that means it's even longer till I can upgrade.

I put some extra RAM in here a while back. What's the max for these machines? I'm at 4GB now.

Haven't done a fresh install, I've just been upgrading with each new OS. I might consider that.

If you want to eke out a bit more life out of the machine I'd say buy an inexpensive SSD (Something around 64GB/$80 should be fine) and pair that with a Firewire external HDD.

Put just system files and necessary stuff on the built-in drive and everything else on the external (Music, Photos, etc.)

As far as new OS install, just time machine backup your current OS, wipe the drive, reinstall the OS and select to restore the time machine backup at the appropriate time.

Keep in mind the money you put into a SSD will only raise the value of the computer when you resell it.

Edit: I wish it were as easy for my to drop a SSD into my iMac...I would have done it months ago.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    For the record, various A/V receivers and set top boxes (notably, the Boxee Box that I use) have AirPlay capability, so you don't have to use an AppleTV.
    fyi
    Boxee Box does not support desktop mirroring, confirmed over in the boxee box support thread @ boxee box.

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    elevature wrote:
    floobie wrote:

A quick Google search indicates that the maximum those MacBooks can take is 4gb, so you're good on that front. You can see how much extra RAM would actually help you by looking at the page outs in the Activity Monitor after a typical day of usage. If the number isn't particularly high (high being on the order of gigabytes, I'd say), more RAM probably wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

I can't really comment on the SSD upgrade, having not taken the plunge myself. I like to have a lot of onboard storage space, so I'd have to buy a hella expensive SSD to make up for it. A cheaper solution might be upgrading to a 7200rpm drive, or a hybrid HDD/SSD drive.

As for the fresh install... yeah, highly recommended. My old Macbook came with Leopard. I'd upgraded it to Snow Leopard, and then Lion... shit is bound to pile up over those 2.5 years or so (at the time). So, doing a fresh install of Lion made a pretty decent difference.

As maximum zero said, you can basically reinstall Lion from the recovery partition, then restore your files and applications from a Time Machine backup when it prompts you for it. You'll end up with a nice fresh install that looks identical to your old one.

• Options
    So Messages is flakey...and yes I realize its a beta.

I can send messages on my computer to friends' iPhones...and it shows up as sent on my phone, but messages they send back to me only appear on my phone and not on the computer.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So Messages is flakey...and yes I realize its a beta.

I can send messages on my computer to friends' iPhones...and it shows up as sent on my phone, but messages they send back to me only appear on my phone and not on the computer.

They show up on both on mine, which is a little irritating. I wish it could tell where it was coming from and only send to one.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I suppose Messages is good for sending iMessages, but damn. It's useless as an IM client. No online list? Really?

• Options
    It has an online list for every thing but iMessages. My buddy lists show up perfectly normal for facebook via jabber and AOL in iMessage. Just not one for iMessage which makes semi sense even though I don't like that, because iMesssage is "always on". Wonder if iMessage will get status settings - that would be good for do not disturb type situations.

What I don't like is that iMessage on the computer doesn't seem to stockpile missed messages if the computer is asleep (pulling them all down once you wake the computer up)

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    Why would iMessage have do not disturb situations? Does your carrier have a DND setting for SMSs?

• Options
    Because we are moving beyond SMS, why limit ourselves to old tech?

• Options
    Protip: turn it off if you don't want to be disturbed

• Options
    edited February 2012
    useless4 wrote:
    It has an online list for every thing but iMessages. My buddy lists show up perfectly normal for facebook via jabber and AOL in iMessage.

Well, I'm certainly not seeing any online list for GTalk. (Which is added as a generic Jabber server since I have an Apps account for my domain)

edit: oh, NOW it shows a contact window. Thanks for not showing it the first three times I had Messages running.

edit edit: wonder if they'll open the API so Adium can send iMessages.

Echo on
  • Options
    I don't think they will open up the API, because this is something they can make "uniquely" apple to encourage people to buy into the ecosystem. I think you will have better chance of Blackberry opening up their messaging system in the near future.

• Options
    In other words, fuck Messages, yay Adium!

iMessages sometimes have an awful delay too. Took my buddy almost five minutes to get them when we tried Messages the other day.

So no, I'll leave that for my iPhone.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sup!

Formatting an external drive! Can't remember what I chose last time: HFS or HFS+?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Nm, it became apparent that it was HFS+.

Got to say it's pretty cool how ridiculously fast it is to format a drive to HFS+. Silly fast.

• Options
    iMessages feels half-baked on the computer right now... they better give it a lot of love between now and Mountain Lion's launch, because it does feel like a bit of a downgrade.

Also, they need to figure out how to make the iMessages sent to your iCloud email address and your iPhone phone number act as a single point of contact. It sucks that people who iMessage my phone number won't show up on my iPad/desktop.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Honk wrote:
    Got to say it's pretty cool how ridiculously fast it is to format a drive to HFS+. Silly fast.

Well, if you're just doing a quick format it would be quick.

Full formats are when you zero-write the whole partition.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    iMessages feels half-baked on the computer right now... they better give it a lot of love between now and Mountain Lion's launch, because it does feel like a bit of a downgrade.

Also, they need to figure out how to make the iMessages sent to your iCloud email address and your iPhone phone number act as a single point of contact. It sucks that people who iMessage my phone number won't show up on my iPad/desktop.

This is my main problem with it; right now, Messages in OSX is just a way to send an iMessage. As far as I can tell, receiving messages on that platform is a no-go.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

This is my main problem with it; right now, Messages in OSX is just a way to send an iMessage. As far as I can tell, receiving messages on that platform is a no-go.
    It works great if you can convince people using icloud and iMessages to start a new conversation with your iCloud email address. then everything is hunky dory.

The onus of responsibility for making sure that happens is a major negative WRT the platform. I should be able to tie my phone number with my iCloud account, and have one be an alias for the other.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

It works great if you can convince people using icloud and iMessages to start a new conversation with your iCloud email address. then everything is hunky dory.

The onus of responsibility for making sure that happens is a major negative WRT the platform. I should be able to tie my phone number with my iCloud account, and have one be an alias for the other.

i would imagine this is the end game. otherwise what would be the point?

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote:
    syndalis wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

i would imagine this is the end game. otherwise what would be the point?
    Well, this has been a glaring problem since iOS5 came out, as I cannot guarantee that the conversations I am having on my phone will be waiting for me to pick up on my iPad unless I am a total OCD freak about making sure each conversation is maintained in my iCloud email address.

It sucks, really. When it works it is a total and amazing advance over SMS. When it fails, it just frustrates you that your conversation is still bound to one device.

I want to be able to go from my desk to my couch to my office and have the same thread going no matter what device I am having the chat on.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Honk wrote:

I don't know the difference, and/or am easily impressed!

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Honk wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Honk wrote:

I don't know the difference, and/or am easily impressed!

Quick-Format is basically the computer marking parts of the hard drive in use with a note saying "you can overwrite this portion". They appear as empty to the computer and as such, the computer eventually overwrites them.

Full format is where the computer physically goes through every sector of the hard drive and obliterates the data on them by overwriting them with 0s. Some of the real crazy folks will run a full format like 20 times just to make sure the HDD is scrubbed clean.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    According to Disk Utility, DOD standard is seven passes!

You learn something new every day!

• Options
    Had to re-install the Wi-Fi fix from a few pages back. Somewhere along the line my wi-fi drivers got replaced and my internet simply failed to function for a while.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried installing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview with Boot Camp? I tried it just now and it didn't seem to work. I could do the Boot Camp formatting stuff like normal but when it booted up I got the "no boot device found" message.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Has anyone tried installing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview with Boot Camp? I tried it just now and it didn't seem to work. I could do the Boot Camp formatting stuff like normal but when it booted up I got the "no boot device found" message.

Funny you mention it, I'm burning my Boot Camp drivers CD now. I'll let you know how it goes.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    why in the world would anyone ever want to install windows 8 on anything

• Options
    Senshi wrote: »
    why in the world would anyone ever want to install windows 8 on anything

Because it is a very interesting operating system from Microsoft.

That said, I installed the Win8 Preview from half a year ago, and it worked fine in Parallels, so if you need a place to run it and try it out and Boot Camp isn't being friendly... that's an option.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Installed it in Boot Camp with no issue last night.

Fiddled around with it for about a hour and them reclaimed the hard drive space.

Was neat to check out, but I had no reason to keep it around.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Metro may be great on tablets and phones (it may even be pretty great on a laptop), but it's not super awesome on a desktop.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    Metro may be great on tablets and phones (it may even be pretty great on a laptop), but it's not super awesome on a desktop.

I'm curious to try it out a bit before I pass any judgment, but that was kind of my first impression. Of course, I'm not willing to sully my gaming rig with pre-release OS software, and my Boot Camp setup on my MacBook Pro involves 2 internal hard drives and is VERY finicky about being mucked around with, so I really don't want to tempt fate there either. Maybe I'll VMWare it.