Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February's done, go to the new thread

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    This is the first time I've heard of his game and given his personality, I'm not inclined to investigate it further than the name.

Shame, I've been following it for a few years now and it looks really good. I mean, assuming it's not just all drawings made by some guy with a crayon pretending to be a developer.

I'm sure he has things compiled together, but you would think a developer who is still working on his first project would understand the idea of being humble.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    This is the first time I've heard of his game and given his personality, I'm not inclined to investigate it further than the name.

Shame, I've been following it for a few years now and it looks really good. I mean, assuming it's not just all drawings made by some guy with a crayon pretending to be a developer.

I'm sure he has things compiled together, but you would think a developer who is still working on his first project would understand the idea of being humble.

Maybe, but then I'm not in any position to speak for him, especially when so many others have already taken that job. I'm interested to hear what he says next, though.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    He made a comment that was both rude and ignorant at a professional conference. Whether or not Fez will be a good game when it finally comes out is largely irrelevant.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I doubt that many people feel this way, but this was the first time I'd seen Fez--and it is inextricably linked with Super Paper Mario, a game that apparently the developer thinks is shit, despite being the closest thing I can compare the game in question to.

Super Paper Mario is, by all accounts, an old game. If he's talking about just modern day Japanese games, I'd have to agree with him, they're shit. The real big thing here is that his game is paying homage to older (even if made in the last decade) Japanese games. The Japanese games released today have constantly had western influences creep into them and for the most part haven't been all that innovative. And I think that may be part of the reason why he was so dickish about this, he's making a game that takes an idea from a Japanese game, innovates and expands on that idea, and then the country that made that game just stops.

Could it be he's a little bitter and upset that Japanese developers are no longer the home of great innovation, but instead a lot of the innovative ideas are being born out of indie developers?

No I don't.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEywtrjBkw

Its almost like this wasn't released five years ago.

...Hmmm...

Yes, someone else mentioned it already, but I thought it interesting that the game came out five years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It's too bad Crush had the handicap of terrible art direction and muddy, boring graphics.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    He made a comment that was both rude and ignorant at a professional conference. Whether or not Fez will be a good game when it finally comes out is largely irrelevant.

And yet, here we are. Did Keiji Inafune attract as much ire when he basically said the same thing? I think he worked on, like, MegaMax or something?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

In my head, I can't help but think this guy saw what Rush Limbaugh did the past week and tried to take a play from that page for publicity's sake. derp derp, ignore this post. <_<

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If he's talking about just modern day Japanese games, I'd have to agree with him, they're shit.

That's the point, he and you are both ridiculously wrong. It's a flat out untrue statement.
    Even if you personally haven't enjoyed any Japanese game you've played in the last five years, it's a still a moronic thing to say.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I was going to bring up Fez-style games earlier.

There was one I played online, I can't remember what it was called. It was similar to Fez's pixel art style and it was just a flash game IIRC. I think the main character was yellow, or the levels were very yellow...

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I'm probably a few pages late on the DLC topic, but did anyone watch the Borderlands 2 interview with Randy Pitchford?

Basically, they didn't start the DLC of Zombie Island of Dr Ned until the game was off to certification, and they were so focused on the game and had so much energy towards it they wrote it and got it out in about 90 days. They hadn't pre-planned it, concurrently developed it, or anything. Now they are working on Borderlands 2, and they are acknowledging that there will likely be DLC, so they can write programming hooks in for it and such, and they keep a list of ideas, but they aren't diverting any focus away from the main game until it's done. It was cool hearing that from him directly, and how they handled it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If he's talking about just modern day Japanese games, I'd have to agree with him, they're shit.

That's the point, he and you are both ridiculously wrong. It's a flat out untrue statement.
    Even if you personally haven't enjoyed any Japanese game you've played in the last five years, it's a still a moronic thing to say.

These are opinions we're talking about. Whether someone thinks they're "true" or "untrue" is not the point of the discussion. It's more of an issue of how he handled expressing his opinion in a rather disrespectful manner.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I don't have the time right now to make a big list of great recent Japanese games but in my mind, Dark Souls was so much better than everything else that came out in 2011 that it's not even funny. It (and its predecessor, Demon's Souls) do so many great and innovative things with their design on many different levels.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »

These are opinions we're talking about. Whether someone thinks they're "true" or "untrue" is not the point of the discussion. It's more of an issue of how he handled expressing his opinion in a rather disrespectful manner.

Exactly. I don't think all Japanese games are shit, but I do think they've been rather disappointing lately. Maybe my tastes have changed, but I can't remember the last Japanese developed game I actually enjoyed, or even found interesting enough to play. However, I do remember when practically every game coming out of japan was interesting to me. But now all of that seems to be coming from the indie developers or European developers. Now this is my opinion, and it could be the same on that Fez's asshat was communicating. But Fez's developer was in a position of power at that moment, and should have been more polite about what he meant.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    When we bring up how Japanese games suck, I just want to point out XIII made megabucks, Dark souls sold a couple million and Catherine has been praised as one of the best narrative games in ages. (Though the puzzles may or may not be your thing.)

Opinions or not, successful games with positive critical reviews are generally indicative of opinions with some amount of weight behind them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Excluding ports and remakes, here are some of the top-rated Japanese games of 2011 (based on Gamerankings):

Skyward Sword
    Super Mario 3D Land
    Dark Souls
    Pokemon White/Black
    Radiant Historia
    Mario Kart 7
    Ghost Trick
    Child of Eden
    Pixeljunk Shooter 2
    Professor Layton & the Last Specter
    Catherine
    Disgaea 4

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    13-2 is out, right? How did that do? I played the demo and thought it was pretty awesome.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    It's too bad Crush had the handicap of terrible art direction and muddy, boring graphics.

Luckily that's pretty much fixed in the 3DS version.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    I don't have the time right now to make a big list of great recent Japanese games but in my mind, Dark Souls was so much better than everything else that came out in 2011 that it's not even funny. It (and its predecessor, Demon's Souls) do so many great and innovative things with their design on many different levels.

I fully support this post. Man is a grade-A ass. I won't buy his product.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I checked that Crush video out. I quit after the "im pride" line.

This game is going to be the next Too Human, and this Phil guy the next Denis Dyack.
    urahonky wrote: »
    13-2 is out, right? How did that do? I played the demo and thought it was pretty awesome.

Everybody who has put their fingers on it has declared it to be absolutely fantastic. The problem is that not many people will give it that chance because of XIII. Which is kind of understandable.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Pretty sure Zelda is a Japanese game. Which means he's a rotten liar. But I guess I'm just beating a dead horse right now. (STAY DEAD!)

• Options
    Algertman wrote: »

You weren't going to anyway, it's coming out on the 360.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

We'll find out here in a couple days.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Oh it's still that new? I hadn't kept up with it.

• Options

This game is going to be the next Too Human, and this Phil guy the next Denis Dyack.

Phil Fish didn't make Crush. What?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »

You weren't going to anyway, it's coming out on the 360.

Even better.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Oh it's still that new? I hadn't kept up with it.

Yep, this latest round of NPDs will be the first month the game's tracked.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Phil Fish didn't make Crush. What?

Fuck, yeah I'm an idiot. It's Fez. The clip says Fez. Why the hell did I say Crush. Somebody said Crush. I blame them. Damn you random person. :oops:

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If you guys think it's so damned egregious, then file a fucking class action lawsuit and prove just how harmful the practice is.

It would probably be a better start to send mass complaints through the BBB and state attorney generals.

I realize this was awhile ago but this is absurd.

Neither the BBB or any AG's are going to do a damn thing about this because the companies aren't doing anything wrong.

You're just as likely to get an AG to sue McDonalds because, even though you got the fries you paid for, they still have more fries sitting there that you could eat too, how dare they not give you the whole bag of fries they made; they only gave you a small container.

It's the same damn thing. It's a good to be consumed that is sold at a price people pay. You pay for what you pay for and if you want more then you pay for more. It doesn't matter how much they made before they sold it to you, they still sold you the damn thing that was handed to you and you knew it. Just because you can super size your meal doesn't mean that the medium meal you bought was a rip off or you're owed anything.

It's pretty simple. If you don't like it don't buy it. If companies change because enough people don't buy it, then well, hey, you got what you wanted,

But guess what. People are buying it. That may piss you off and you may think it's bullshit. People buy bottled water in the United States and I think that's idiotic and I may think that what companies selling bottled water are doing is ethically questionable. But if people keep buying it, there is a market. Maybe the market is just idiots, it doesn't matter. It's capitalism. There's a market so goods will be produced as long as people keep buying them. And people buy DLC. A lot of DLC.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    im sorry japanese guy! i was a bit rough, but your country's games are fucking terrible nowadays.

@PHIL_FISH That's a little harsh. Do you think there is any chance for recovery or are they just gone?

@agentmaine everybody loves a comeback. i dig their aesthetics more than ours a lot of the times.

@PHIL_FISH Yeah. I think the problem with the bluntness isn't the meanness, but that it isn't permanent. They'll make it back (I hope).
    PHIL FISH
    japanese games are just two western games duct-taped together.

Bennett ‏
    @PHIL_FISH when will you learn not to say things in public?

PHIL FISH ‏
    @bfod people just keep putting me up on stages with microphones! they're enabling me!

Leo Loikkanen
    @PHIL_FISH @bfod dude, that still doesn't change what you said.

PHIL FISH ‏
    @limbclock @bfod dude, i stand by what i said. most modern japanese games are terrible. you can quote me on that.

David Galindo
    @PHIL_FISH ok, but why did you say it to a random Japanese dev in front of the GDC panel? That makes you a complete jerk. Cant you see that?

PHIL FISH ‏
    @chubigans no argument there.

Looks like dude was expressing his opinion as one would on the internet instead of as one would at a GDC panel. This makes the guy immature and unprofessional. However, if Fez is good, I don't see any point in boycotting it. Boycotting an indie developer who's spent years making a polished product could completely ruin this kid's life.

However, I do think it'd be good to send Phil Fish a link to RainbowDespair's blog post about being an indie developer and how having a good "nice" attitude goes a long way. Seems he missed that cue.

No I don't.
  • Options
    This is what happens when a random internet guy gets to speak at a public event as if he were still on the internet.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Yeah the dude is in a business where he is able to interact with his fans and customers in a way that other industries don't get the chance too, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be a professional too.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/game-claims-nearly-50-of-vita-launch-sales/092307
    Industry sources have told MCV that very nearly 50 per cent of all Vita hardware sold in the UK on launch week was purchased in a GAME or Gamestation store.

That, of course, is despite the fact that the chains were not carrying Ubisoft’s Vita launch line-up of Rayman Origins, Lumines, Michael Jackson: The Experience, Dungeon Hunter and Asphalt Injection.

Guess which country is now getting online charts?
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/star-wars-tops-uk-s-first-pc-download-chart/092309
    UKIE's PC download chart is officially here, with Star Wars: The Old Republic sitting at the top.

The new chart is still in beta and represents sales from January. UKIE estimates that it represents around 40 per cent of the overall digital PC market.

The chart was put together by UKIE's digital group, which consists of 25 organisations. Any company can joint the Group, UKIE member or not. The data is compiled by the members of this group (publishers and developers), so doesn't come directly from retailers such as Steam.

The Old Republic beat off competition from Ubisoft's From Dust (No.2) and Warner Bros. Bastion (No.3).

However, despite EA winning overall, Ubisoft has the most games in the Top 20 with nine. Warner Bros. has five.

“We are delighted to reveal the UK’s first digital chart based on real sales data," said UKIE CEO Jo Twist.

"This is a watershed moment for our industry, but it is only the first step in capturing the full digital market. There is still a lot of work to be done, and we need more data, but we felt that the market would benefit from seeing that this project is very much on course.”

UKIE is still calling for more publishers to sign-up to the chart.

UKIE commercial manager Sam Collins added “The members of the UKIE digital group have invested considerable time and effort into this project and I am very happy that their support is now being rewarded. The big challenges now are to bring more companies in to the project to make it truly representative of the market and to expand the platforms covered. In order to do this we need to work with more companies. The door is open please come and talk to UKIE about how to get involved."

UK PC Download Chart: Full Game January 2012
    1. Star Wars: The Old Republic - EA
    2. From Dust - Ubisoft
    3. Bastion - Warner Bros
    4. Battlefield 3 - EA
    5. Batman: Arkham City - Warner Bros
    6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Standard Edition) - Square Enix
    7. Anno 2070 - Ubisoft
    8. Assassin's Creed 2 (Collector's Edition) - Ubisoft
    9. Assassin's Creed Revelations - Ubisoft
    10. Hitman Collection - Square Enix
    11. Anno 2070 (Collector's Edition) - Ubisoft
    12. Assassin's Creed - Ubisoft
    13. The Sims 3 - EA
    14. FEAR 3 - Warner Bros
    15. R.U.S.E. - Ubisoft
    16. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - Ubisoft
    17. Hitman: Blood Money - Square Enix
    18. Heroes of Might & Magic 6 - Ubisoft
    19. Batman Arkham Asylum (Game of the Year) - Warner Bros
    20. LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - Warner Bros
    This shit should be interesting.

• Options
    I think he may still be in the land of "I'm just an indie developer, not a semi-famous developer, I can still say what I want when I want because really my opinion doesn't matter". Hope it doesn't completely ruin him. His game looks really good.

No I don't.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Apparently there's considerable WiiU buzz at GDC, though that's to be expected with it being the only publicly-shown new console coming out within a year.

From a French Canadian article:
    "Since the opening of GDC Monday morning, It's the Nintendo Wii U which is usually in the heart of conversations," notes the media monitoring agency Clara, which closely follows the show in order to see from it the main trends. "Of all the subjects analyzed, it's Nintendo and the next Wii that generate the most interest of the developers attendees", noted the agency in a statement.

Nintendo has already released details of the Wii U, but some developers are expected to show a little more in the coming days, while the studio Epic Games provides a demonstration of its next generation of game technology Unreal Engine 4 designed for this newcomer.

And new middleware partnerships have been announced:

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/wii/wii-news/16898/autodesk-gameware-licensed-wii
    6 March, 2012

Autodesk has today announced that they have entered into a landmark license agreement allowing Nintendo Co., Ltd. to provide Autodesk Gameware technology to its licensed developers creating videogames for the upcoming Wii U platform. The middleware agreement is designed to help differentiate Nintendo’s new hardware from the competition.

Under terms of the agreement, Autodesk, Inc. has granted Nintendo the right to provide licensed Wii U game developers with three Gameware products: Scaleform middleware for user interface development, Kynapse middleware for artificial intelligence and HumanIK middleware for interactive character animation. The Autodesk Gameware product line is comprised of production-proven game development solutions that have been used in at least 1,000 games to date. This technology helps developers enhance production value while reducing development time, enabling them to focus efforts on creating compelling gameplay that resonates with consumers.

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2012/03/06/havok™-enters-agreement-nintendo-offer-havok-physics-and-havok-animation-technologies-wii
    Havok™, a premier provider of interactive software solutions for the games and entertainment industry, announced today that it has entered into a worldwide license agreement with Nintendo Co., Ltd., to make Havok Physics and Havok Animation available to studios around the world developing on Nintendo’s Wii U™ platform. The agreement will give the development community access to the Havok technology to create high-fidelity, immersive games.

“We are very excited to be at the forefront of the new platform,” said David Coghlan, Managing Director of Havok. “We are honored to be providing Havok technology to Wii U developers in order to create great games in all genres. Gamers around the world expect high-fidelity realism and want to immerse themselves into new gaming experiences. This license agreement will give game developers everywhere easy access to Havok’s industry-leading technology. We are sure this license agreement will result in the creation of great interactive experiences for consumers on the Wii U platform!”

And other GDC teases are coming out from time to time:
    @RichIGN wrote:
    Wii U's fall line-up is shaping up. The big question - when does the system launch?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/164468/GDC_2012_Capcom_says_over_50_of_revs_will_come_from_digital_by_2017.php
    Capcom, one of the longstanding publishers that has been reliant on packaged retail sales for decades, sees a majority of its revenue and operating profits coming from digital sooner rather than later.

“I’d like to say that within five years, certainly well north of 50 percent of our revenue will be coming from digital, and significantly higher than [50 percent] of our operating profit will [come from digital],” predicted Christian Svensson, SVP of Capcom Entertainment in an interview with Gamasutra during GDC 2012.

“And certainly sometime before five years from now, every game will be digital and retail day and date [same release],” he added. “On some platforms that’s already the case, it is on Vita. In Europe, the PlayStation 3 is already that way. I wish it were that way in the States as well. But I’d say that’s an inevitability. No one is really fighting that, but the question is when that will occur.”

Svensson added, “Retail will always have a place in our future, but I think that five years down the road, the value proposition of retail and publishers will change.

“I think that retail’s role will shift from planned purchase to impulse purchase, predominantly, and planned purchases will increasingly happen online, just for sheer convenience’s sake.”

Gamasutra's full interview with Svensson will be published in the near future.

• Options
    Lulzsec no more?
    The infamous hacking group responsible for hitting Sony, Nintendo, Bethesda, Epic, and Mojang has been shut down, according to a Fox News report.

The report states law enforcement agents on two continents this morning arrested three "top members" of LulzSec (an offshoot of Anonymous) and charged two more with conspiracy. The agents were acting on evidence provided by alleged leader Hector Xavier Monsegur, aka "Sabu," (at right) who reportedly had been working with the government for months.

"This is devastating to the organization," an FBI official involved with the investigation told Fox News. "We're chopping off the head of LulzSec."

Sabu, an unemployed 28-year-old father of two, reportedly commanded a band of LulzSec hackers from a public housing project on the Lower East Side of New York.

According to the report, after Sabu was arrested in June, he cooperated with the FBI, providing information leading to today's arrests. The five charged with connection to LulzSec today were identified by sources as: Ryan Ackroyd, aka "Kayla," and Jake Davis, aka "Topiary," both of London; Darren Martyn, aka "pwnsauce," and Donncha O'Cearrbhail, aka "palladium," both of Ireland; and Jeremy Hammond, aka "Anarchaos," of Chicago.

Sabu pleaded guilty on August 15 to a dozen hacking charges. These included charges of conspiracy to engage in computer hacking, computer hacking, conspiracy to commit access device fraud, conspiracy to commit bank fraud, and aggravated identity theft.

The charges and other information regarding today's arrests are expected to be officially released by New York's Southern District Court sometime today.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/hacking-group-lulzsec-brought-down-report-6364787

I was just thinking we haven't heard much from them lately.

• Options
    Yeah I doubt that's over. Still, some amount of the hackers have been dealt with.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    16. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - Ubisoft

Whoah. Is Dark Messiah then new Mario Kart DS?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Steamsteamlol.

This discussion has been closed.