As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February's done, go to the new thread

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Lulzsec no more?
    The infamous hacking group responsible for hitting Sony, Nintendo, Bethesda, Epic, and Mojang has been shut down, according to a Fox News report.

The report states law enforcement agents on two continents this morning arrested three "top members" of LulzSec (an offshoot of Anonymous) and charged two more with conspiracy. The agents were acting on evidence provided by alleged leader Hector Xavier Monsegur, aka "Sabu," (at right) who reportedly had been working with the government for months.

"This is devastating to the organization," an FBI official involved with the investigation told Fox News. "We're chopping off the head of LulzSec."

Sabu, an unemployed 28-year-old father of two, reportedly commanded a band of LulzSec hackers from a public housing project on the Lower East Side of New York.

According to the report, after Sabu was arrested in June, he cooperated with the FBI, providing information leading to today's arrests. The five charged with connection to LulzSec today were identified by sources as: Ryan Ackroyd, aka "Kayla," and Jake Davis, aka "Topiary," both of London; Darren Martyn, aka "pwnsauce," and Donncha O'Cearrbhail, aka "palladium," both of Ireland; and Jeremy Hammond, aka "Anarchaos," of Chicago.

Sabu pleaded guilty on August 15 to a dozen hacking charges. These included charges of conspiracy to engage in computer hacking, computer hacking, conspiracy to commit access device fraud, conspiracy to commit bank fraud, and aggravated identity theft.

The charges and other information regarding today's arrests are expected to be officially released by New York's Southern District Court sometime today.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/hacking-group-lulzsec-brought-down-report-6364787

I was just thinking we haven't heard much from them lately.

There was news this week that some band that had their song licensed by Sony for those Vita ads where the guy is on the bus donated all the money they received for it to Anonymous.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    WoW apparently wants people back badly. Like cocksucking desperately.
    sor.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I'm so glad I don't game on PC

I've been hearing about those sad, pathetic emails for a while now

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    sor.jpg

Wow. That's nuts. I may actually consider that offer if it's extended to me. I never did buy any of the expansions for WoW and a week of time to mess around with my old character that's been instantly leveled to 80 (from 40-something) could be fun.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Dear WoW,

I would gladly come back and play more WoW. However, right after I got into the game you upgraded the game and left my POS system in the dark. While I completely understand that my PC was an out of date junk box, I don't really pc game enough to justify buying a new one to supplement my netbook. If you would like me back, please wander your offices and take some left over hardware and ship it to me. I will add it to Frankenputer, reinstall WoW and giddily pay you a monthly fee again.

Sincerely,
    Mr. Lindsey Lohan

• Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    About the Fez guy issue; what's really annoying me about some of the posts here is that people are ripping literally one line of quote from a news article that has no other coverage of what Phil Fish said and then some short twitter statements and then trying to make it like this is the sum of the person's thoughts on a subject. Bleh.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Amazing.

"Come back to WoW and we promise we'll remove every shred of fun by just shooting you to level 80 so you have nothing to accomplish and no idea how to play your character anyway."

FABULOUS idea Blizzard. Way to go.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Amazing.

"Come back to WoW and we promise we'll remove every shred of fun by just shooting you to level 80 so you have nothing to accomplish and no idea how to play your character anyway."

I'm assuming that they are aiming this at people whose friends have continued to play and have lvl 80s they want to play with, but don't feel like running with you while you level your character so you can finally play with them. This way you can essentially (except gear?) jump in and play with your friends who have passed you by.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Free faction transfer is no joke.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Wait, is that actually an email from Blizzard? That just looks like some sort of turboscam.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    sor.jpg

What the hell, is that what Blizzard has been emailing me with lately?

The faction change and server transfer for free are actually a nice deal to re-up.

• Options
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Wait, is that actually an email from Blizzard? That just looks like some sort of turboscam.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1092411-New-scroll-of-ressurection-amazing
    Yea, if you go to your friends list ingame there is a scroll you can click. I sent it to a friend who quit 2 months ago, and he took the screenshot of this after saying "WOW."

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I love a good outspoken developer, and Japanese games do pretty much universally suck ass nowadays

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Amazing.

Well, I think level 80 is the lowest recommended level for Cata, and you can level more past that.

Still, assuming there's no strings attached that's a pretty damned aggressive ploy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    It saves you like a week of time. Leveling to 80 is hilariously fast now.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I realize I'm old, so if no one gets the thread title, I am of course referring to this:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154303/shock-the-monkey
    Yes, I'm kidding. I've got a poster of that scene from Say Anything I saved from college.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The ploy is to get people to try out the Cataclysm content ASAP.

A friend of mine was just now saying that there's probably people who quit prior to 80 since the news of MoP came out, and Blizzard is trying to get them hooked in again to playing the game.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Trynant wrote: »
    About the Fez guy issue; what's really annoying me about some of the posts here is that people are ripping literally one line of quote from a news article that has no other coverage of what Phil Fish said and then some short twitter statements and then trying to make it like this is the sum of the person's thoughts on a subject. Bleh.

That's because that's the sum of the thoughts that asshole is presenting. That's WHY he's an asshole. The timing, place and verbage were all horribly horribly rude.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Amazing.

Well, I think level 80 is the lowest recommended level for Cata, and you can level more past that.

Still, assuming there's no strings attached that's a pretty damned aggressive ploy.

85 is the max level from what I heard. A faction change normally costs 30 dollars. The server change normally costs 25 dollars.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    619798909_2Hxwv-L.jpg

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So... WoW's hurting, huh?

Is this why they cancelled Blizzcon?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Pretty sure Zelda is a Japanese game. Which means he's a rotten liar.

Indeed, sir. That is really all that needed to be said.

Fez does look cool though and I'm sure a lot of people here will actually end up getting it, if it ever fucking comes out.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Been reading responses to the Phil Fish stuff. Apparently it was part of a dicussion about gaming ease in general, with some specific talks about Zelda thrown in. Jonathan Blow was on the panel as well, giving his own remarks about the difficulty in modern (not just Japanese) games.

If you ask me, the talk of West vs. East game design/influences/preferences has been slowly boiling to the top. I often wonder if people realize just how much of a cultural thing it is.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

That's because that's the sum of the thoughts that asshole is presenting. That's WHY he's an asshole. The timing, place and verbage were all horribly horribly rude.

And if he's using Twitter, he has to know how to use that as a communication medium. Every tweet is going to be looked at as a self-contained statement. So if someone takes Fez dude's tweet as his stance on something, that's Fez dude's fault.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    So depressed that Vanquish didn't get mentioned in everybodies list of good japanese games.

Come on people.

Platinum Games.

They're the best action game makers on this planet right now.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I mean, I don't play a lot of Japanese games. They just don't cater to my particular niche - Eastern Europe seems to do the best job of that lately. But I'd never say they suck. As was previously mentioned, Catherine and Dark Souls, by themselves, are examples of Japanese games that don't suck. And that's not even including Nintendo titles.

It's just.. not a very good statement to make, and it shows a lot of ignorance.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Beltaine wrote: »

A hurting multi-millionaire is still a multi-millionaire.

It's probably a patch job to get people to hang on. They still have millions of subscribers, out-pacing everyone. This isn't an overnight doomsday scenario. I just want to figure out what triggered this offer to appear.

And they're not doing Blizzcon this year because... uh, shit, they addressed it and I forgot the official response. I think all their major titles are gonna be out this year (Heart of the Swarm is coming out right? And Diablo 3), and there's probably nothing to be gained having a multi-day event for just WoW. I don't think this is what the reason was that they gave, mind you, but I think it's the real driving force behind the decision. But whatever. It was just Blizzcon.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Lulzsec?

Godspeed, kings of lulz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py_UDN6472s&feature=related

On the topic of that Fish guy, I have to say that he seems to not really know what he's talking about. Xenoblade proves he's full of dicks.

Fishdicks.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Devil May Cry
    Godhand
    Vanquish
    Bayonetta
    Okami (ooookami oookami ooookami)
    Viewtiful Joe

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Shin Megami Tensei

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier.

Also I just wan't to point out I fully intend to get Fez when (if) it is released. I have been following it for a loooooong time, and it does look very good. But you can like a game and still not like the people behind it, i.e. for me Ninja Giaden and Itigaki or Braid and Jonathan Blow.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

This is exactly what I learned

I started playing again at the start of Wrath and I was turning in like 20 meats a day for this one daily quest and then a couple months later it was like 3 a day. I was really frustrated at the time I'd wasted, on top of the fact that I was already wasting time.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I did the firelands stuff already. I know in a few months you'll only have to do the daily quests for a day or two to get the mount. I did it for like 2 weeks straight.

• Options
    Sega's going to publish a bit less licensed crap:
    Captain America: Super Soldier was your favorite game of 2011. You don't ask people to understand your choice, but there it is. Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, bud, but it seems Marvel and Sega have concluded their business partnership.

"There are no current plans for additional Marvel games to be published by Sega," VP of games production TQ Jefferson told Hollywood Reporter. And while he says that games is an important part of Marvel's business, the company will be looking elsewhere for game adaptations of its properties moving forward.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/marvel-no-current-plans-for-more-sega-games/

That reminds me, no one's doing an Avengers game, are they? We may be seeing a quiet end to day-and-date movie tie-in games.

Also, Tecmo joins the fun.
    Tecmo-Koei has decided to lock the online multiplayer of Ninja Gaiden 3 behind an online pass. So says a listing on Gamefly warning potential renters of Ninja Gaiden 3, anyway. Update: It's confirmed! Ninja Gaiden 3 will have an online pass, a Tecmo Koei representative has confirmed with Joystiq.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/gamefly-ninja-gaiden-3-to-require-online-pass/

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »

They canceled Blizzcon because they would have had hardly anything to show for it.

Diablo 3 will almost certainly be out before then, Mists of Pandaria will be close to launch by then in all likely-hood (going by previous expansions) so all they would be able to show off is Heart of the Swarm. Having an entire convention for basically one expansion isn't really good business sense.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Captain America: Super Soldier was your favorite game of 2011. You don't ask people to understand your choice, but there it is. Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, bud, but it seems Marvel and Sega have concluded their business partnership.

"There are no current plans for additional Marvel games to be published by Sega," VP of games production TQ Jefferson told Hollywood Reporter. And while he says that games is an important part of Marvel's business, the company will be looking elsewhere for game adaptations of its properties moving forward.

That reminds me, no one's doing an Avengers game, are they? We may be seeing a quiet end to day-and-date movie tie-in games.

They should just make a Marvel Ultimate Alliance type game for the Avengers movie tie-in and call it a day.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    skeldare wrote: »

They should just make a Marvel Ultimate Alliance type game for the Avengers movie tie-in and call it a day.

http://www.facebook.com/avengersalliance

?

I know it's totally not what you're talking about, but it's something...

Renzo on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

There was one in production, but it got canceled awhile ago. It didn't look too bad though. It was a first person action game with each of the big four having their own playstyle. I'll second the Ultimate Alliance style Avengers game though. I'd buy that shit in a heartbeat.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That Thor game for the DS was supposedly pretty alright in the end though, wasn't it? But yeah, comicbook superhero franchises have been getting both the best and the worst ends of the license bum-fuckstick for a long time now. I wouldn't be all that sad if those kinds of games slowly fade into obscurity, perhaps it could even relieve some of the franchise fatigue that is generally prevalent.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular

His argument is apparently that there's too much handholding in modern Japanese games - citing Skyward Sword as an example. Derp.

V0Gug2h.png
This discussion has been closed.