Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February's done, go to the new thread

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    So depressed that Vanquish didn't get mentioned in everybodies list of good japanese games.

Come on people.

Platinum Games.

They're the best action game makers on this planet right now.

I fucking love Vanquish.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    The problem with World of Warcraft is that every time I get to the end of my free week I'm more or less sick of the game and I've seen everything I want to of it for some time.

That and it takes like two days of that week to download the damn thing.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I think this WOW thing is just them trying to figure out how to continue to amp the playerbase.

For a MMORPG developer they're in uncommon territory right now.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Sega's going to publish a bit less licensed crap:
    Captain America: Super Soldier was your favorite game of 2011. You don't ask people to understand your choice, but there it is. Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, bud, but it seems Marvel and Sega have concluded their business partnership.

"There are no current plans for additional Marvel games to be published by Sega," VP of games production TQ Jefferson told Hollywood Reporter. And while he says that games is an important part of Marvel's business, the company will be looking elsewhere for game adaptations of its properties moving forward.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/marvel-no-current-plans-for-more-sega-games/

That reminds me, no one's doing an Avengers game, are they? We may be seeing a quiet end to day-and-date movie tie-in games.
    There was one in production, but it got canceled awhile ago. It didn't look too bad though. It was a first person action game with each of the big four having their own playstyle. I'll second the Ultimate Alliance style Avengers game though. I'd buy that shit in a heartbeat.

Oh right, that's where the
    Not-Skrulls
    got leaked.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    The last comic book movie tie-in game I remember really liking was Spider-Man 2. That game was awesome. I don't know why they had to throw out all the great things about it when they made the third game.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I remember hating the players in wow a lot more than the actual game. then when I tried it again for the first time in a few years they had completely ruined the class I played so it was pretty easy to drop it again.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The problem with World of Warcraft is that every time I get to the end of my free week I'm more or less sick of the game and I've seen everything I want to of it for some time.

That and it takes like two days of that week to download the damn thing.

The streaming client makes it so you can start playing within an hour of starting the download. Ingame loading screens will take longer but the whole experience is extremely streamlined.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The last comic book movie tie-in game I remember really liking was Spider-Man 2. That game was awesome. I don't know why they had to throw out all the great things about it when they made the third game.

Pretty sure 2 was made by radical entertainment, who then went on and did Hulk, Prototype, now Prototype 2.
    Apparently they did a simpsons game at one point.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    Trynant wrote: »
    About the Fez guy issue; what's really annoying me about some of the posts here is that people are ripping literally one line of quote from a news article that has no other coverage of what Phil Fish said and then some short twitter statements and then trying to make it like this is the sum of the person's thoughts on a subject. Bleh.

His argument is apparently that there's too much handholding in modern Japanese games - citing Skyward Sword as an example. Derp.

Well, I agree the motherfucking shit out of that.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hate to drag it up again, but man, Fez looks great and the guy is entitled to an opinion, most of the games I enjoy seem to be western-developed these days.

I don't give a crap how many people feel butthurt by Fish and his phrasing; his comments have lacked any sort of context in any of the reports and reactions I'm seeing, not that he fucking needs any. True, he could have used more tactful wording but bloody hell I've heard plenty of people say far worse.

But Steve Hughes says it better than I can (you can skip to about 2:30, but all of it is worth watching!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMoDt3nSHs

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Gentlemen, I give you Fable: Staring at a Horse's Ass.

vista01_530x298.jpg
    "Your horse pays the price for your mistakes," Peter Molyneux says during a demo for Fable: The Journey, Lionhead's upcoming Kinect-powered spin-off. The Journey is centered around a young man and his trusty steed and sets out to forge a bond between the two, similar to the relationship players had with their dog in Fable 2.

Molyneux wants us to care about the animal throughout the gesture-based adventure.
    But unlike pet management games like Kinectimals, Lionhead's goal is to offer players a Kinect-enabled experience that features the same moral dilemmas Fable fans will recognize. Choices made in Fable: The Journey will affect the world and the disposition of your horse.

Molyneux expressed his usual level of enthusiasm during the demo, promising players would instinctually understand how to command the mustang from the beginning. My experience did not go as advertised. Molyneux doesn't tell me exactly what to expect and all of a sudden I'm steering the carriage. Things quickly fall apart. The horse takes my gestures as suggestions, rather than orders. I wrestle with the reins, eventually easing into the experience and the demo ends.

In another demo later in the week, I saw one journalist struggle to grasp the concept. He kept trying to steer the carriage like he was holding a very large invisible steering wheel. This doesn't seem like what Lionhead has in mind.

Atop my carriage, I took a brisk tour of the countryside. After, Molyneux jumped the demo forward to an on-foot segment, where I flicked my right hand to shoot fireballs at a group of seemingly harmless fairies. I mean, they didn't attack me; they were just kind of there. Depending on how animated I was with my right arm, the fireball would be larger or smaller, but tiny fairies aren't the best enemy to gauge how much more damage my stronger flailing is worth.

I also got a taste of the game's leash-like jellyfish thing, a sentient being Molyneux described as a smart whip -- you use it to grab enemies, fling them into the air, or interact with things in the environment. Eventually you can add tendrils to it as you upgrade it throughout the game. In the context of the one battle in this demo, I used it to pull down some stone columns onto a very agile Balverine. Molyneux tells me that overusing the leash mechanic will cause it to lock up, and the player will have to calm it down with soothing speech, though none of that was available in this demo.

The Balverine jumped around the screen while I flicked my right wrist a lot, spouting fireballs. It wasn't the most interesting tactic, but spamming the move was a viable option.

In the end, each portion of gameplay was around five minutes, lacking enough cohesion to give me any sense for how all of these things would come together in the final product. Molyneux promises that players will be able to control their steed with their voice too; again, this feature was not available during the demo.

Instead, the strongest feature was the Unreal Engine foundation of Fable: The Journey. Albion is a beautiful place to lazily navigate a horse-drawn carriage through, offering environments ranging from lush green fields to the craggy spires in the image above. The gameplay in my demo may have failed to enthrall me, but I certainly wouldn't mind taking a journey back to Albion to see its sights again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/fable-the-journey-dares-us-to-steer-a-relationship-in-the-right/

Potential tranwreck in the making.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I don't think we're "butthurt". We're just pointing out that he's an asshole and is not speaking from a position of expertise.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    There are a bunch of examples of hand holding in modern games in both Japanese and western shit. Same with lack of hand holding. Fuck Demon's Souls.

• Options

Pretty sure 2 was made by radical entertainment, who then went on and did Hulk, Prototype, now Prototype 2.

Definitely right about Hulk, Protoype, and Proto 2 being made by Radical. Spider-Man 2 was made by some other people, though.

Still a fucking fun game.

Man, Hulk is back compat on the 360. I may have to dig that up. That game was a blast.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

vista01_530x298.jpg
    "Your horse pays the price for your mistakes," Peter Molyneux says during a demo for Fable: The Journey, Lionhead's upcoming Kinect-powered spin-off. The Journey is centered around a young man and his trusty steed and sets out to forge a bond between the two, similar to the relationship players had with their dog in Fable 2.

Molyneux wants us to care about the animal throughout the gesture-based adventure.
    But unlike pet management games like Kinectimals, Lionhead's goal is to offer players a Kinect-enabled experience that features the same moral dilemmas Fable fans will recognize. Choices made in Fable: The Journey will affect the world and the disposition of your horse.

Molyneux expressed his usual level of enthusiasm during the demo, promising players would instinctually understand how to command the mustang from the beginning. My experience did not go as advertised. Molyneux doesn't tell me exactly what to expect and all of a sudden I'm steering the carriage. Things quickly fall apart. The horse takes my gestures as suggestions, rather than orders. I wrestle with the reins, eventually easing into the experience and the demo ends.

In another demo later in the week, I saw one journalist struggle to grasp the concept. He kept trying to steer the carriage like he was holding a very large invisible steering wheel. This doesn't seem like what Lionhead has in mind.

Atop my carriage, I took a brisk tour of the countryside. After, Molyneux jumped the demo forward to an on-foot segment, where I flicked my right hand to shoot fireballs at a group of seemingly harmless fairies. I mean, they didn't attack me; they were just kind of there. Depending on how animated I was with my right arm, the fireball would be larger or smaller, but tiny fairies aren't the best enemy to gauge how much more damage my stronger flailing is worth.

I also got a taste of the game's leash-like jellyfish thing, a sentient being Molyneux described as a smart whip -- you use it to grab enemies, fling them into the air, or interact with things in the environment. Eventually you can add tendrils to it as you upgrade it throughout the game. In the context of the one battle in this demo, I used it to pull down some stone columns onto a very agile Balverine. Molyneux tells me that overusing the leash mechanic will cause it to lock up, and the player will have to calm it down with soothing speech, though none of that was available in this demo.

The Balverine jumped around the screen while I flicked my right wrist a lot, spouting fireballs. It wasn't the most interesting tactic, but spamming the move was a viable option.

In the end, each portion of gameplay was around five minutes, lacking enough cohesion to give me any sense for how all of these things would come together in the final product. Molyneux promises that players will be able to control their steed with their voice too; again, this feature was not available during the demo.

Instead, the strongest feature was the Unreal Engine foundation of Fable: The Journey. Albion is a beautiful place to lazily navigate a horse-drawn carriage through, offering environments ranging from lush green fields to the craggy spires in the image above. The gameplay in my demo may have failed to enthrall me, but I certainly wouldn't mind taking a journey back to Albion to see its sights again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/fable-the-journey-dares-us-to-steer-a-relationship-in-the-right/

Hahahaha at people playing. Oh no it wont obey me immediately.

I've actually ridden a horse. This sounds pretty accurate.

Reminds me of people bitching about controlling Argo in shadow of the colossus.
    Renzo wrote: »

Definitely right about Hulk, Protoype, and Proto 2 being made by Radical. Spider-Man 2 was made by some other people, though.

Man, Hulk is back compat on the 360. I may have to dig that up. That game was a blast.

Huh, I just looked it up and you are right. Man I thought they did spider man 2. Now where did I pick up that from? Weren't they supposed to be making a spider man game? Or maybe people kept comparing it to spider man 2 at some point. Not sure.
    Oh well completely wrong. *monocle*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

The console version of Spider-Man 2 was actually done by Treyarch.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    promising players would instinctually understand how to command the mustang from the beginning
    This isn't the early 1900s. The vast majority of people don't ride horses anymore.
    This described Fable 1's combat for me.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »

Oh yeah. The "stealth" mission was hilarious. (skip to 3:20)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_wMth-ZLC8

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Also one of the Spiderman DS games is supposedly amazing.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Real-time horse shitting!!

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Most of the DS Spider-Man games made by Vicarious Visions are actually pretty damn good.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Haha that Hulk "stealth" mission, I have never seen that before and I played a lot of that game. It got really difficult if I remember correctly when the Hulk Busters showed up. That was a great game, you could play Hulk Golf or Hulk Baseball and hit SWAT team guys into the bay.

• Options

Web of Shadows for the DS is a really damn fun game. 2D gameplay, 3D visuals. Plays like a 2D Devil May Cry-type game with some very light metroid-esque exploration and location unlocking. Has some uneven difficulty, but is ultimately kind of easy. Also it's only like 5 hours. But hoo boy, it's fun 5 hours. The combat is really fun, especially when you get used to switching between Red and Black suit Spidey in the middle of combos.

• Options

vista01_530x298.jpg

Hahahaha at people playing. Oh no it wont obey me immediately.

I've actually ridden a horse. This sounds pretty accurate.

Reminds me of people bitching about controlling Argo in shadow of the colossus.

Man yeah in my experience horses do pretty much whatever they want at the best of times...

Wonder if we will get a version of this game Now With Bears?

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hulk busters were so much fun to fight.

You got an aerial pile drive ability when you grabbed them, it would pile drive them into the ground, then he'd bounce up really far and smash them into the ground with a different move, then bounce up slightly less and do it once more, then bounce up a tiny bit and come to rest.
    But you could actually cancel into the starting piledriver after the first bounce and it had a nice forward arc on it.

So you could literally pile drive them down the street. You could use pile drives as a form of locomotion. Dead enemies didn't disappear until you let them out of your grasp for long enough or stopped hitting them, so you could do this as long as you wanted. Forever, if you had enough patience.

WHAM boing WHAM boing WHAM boing WHAM boing WHAM...

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Hulk busters were so much fun to fight.

You got an aerial pile drive ability when you grabbed them, it would pile drive them into the ground, then he'd bounce up really far and smash them into the ground with a different move, then bounce up slightly less and do it once more, then bounce up a tiny bit and come to rest.
    But you could actually cancel into the starting piledriver after the first bounce.

So you could literally pile drive them down the street. You could use pile drives as a form of locomotion. Dead enemies didn't disappear until you let them out of your grasp for long enough or stopped hitting them, so you could do this as long as you wanted. Forever, if you had enough patience.

Damnit this game is awesome.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    The best part was if they hit you in mid air, you could often dash straight into them as they recovered from their charge, grab them, pile drive them a couple of times, then throw them at the next one.
    (Just like prototype, dash was an instant mid air recovery. It just had less flexibility.)

You could also pick up a lamp post and pin them to a wall helplessly while you sauntered over and had your way with them. You could combo them for ever.

More games need to let you combo your enemies after they are dead.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You know, as someone who has no problem saying things which are controversial, extremely opinionated, and occasionally irritating on a forum, I think Phil Fish should have displayed more tact. I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with the opinion he expressed or the way he expressed it (although I strongly disagree with his opinion), but only if he had expressed them on a forum, where intimate 1 on 1 conversations can occur.

But when you speak in public, it's a requirement of the speaker to display tact or else he'll get crucified. I'll say this of the guy - I'm sure he has reasons behind what he said, I doubt it was a comment born completely out of left field (for him, again I want to stress that I don't agree and I would have argued his ass off), but the problem is that he didn't add any supporting arguments. He made a controversial statement, in a setting where he wasn't going to be able to fully explain his reasoning, and then made it worse by framing his statement in an inflammatory, dickheaded way. Which he then made even worse by resending the same message on twitter, instead of articulating his position.

I would have relished the opportunity to speak on that panel, about that question. Because I really don't think japanese gaming has declined per say, but rather that western gaming has caught up. I also think that japan's consumer market is shrinking, which has affected the total output of the nation's media, not just with games, but also music, television, fashion, and high art. I read a fascinating article recently explaining how consumer spending in japan is largely supported by niche groups (otaku, yankii, gyaru) who's constant, sustained purchasing patterns have made them the top spending force in a conservative, recessed japanese market, and how Japan's media is reflecting this that I recommend everyone read. It's easy to apply the theories in that article to the trends in japanese gaming today.

That said, you have to be stupid to assume that Japan's place in gaming is on a decline, when 2 out of the 3 major hardware manufacturers are japanese, and several of the top publishers and developers are japanese as well. I think by shrugging off their work and painting them in broad strokes, that you're ignoring the lessons they can teach, and that's the quickest way to fall behind. For example, I think everyone should take a good, long look at the online strategies of both Sega and Capcom - two companies with very different philosophies regarding digital game space, but arguably among the most forward thinking companies when it comes to DD. Enormous lessons can be learned from both the public response to their actions, and the monetary response. For my money's worth, I back Sega's philosophy hardcore, but I fear that Capcom will wind up more profitable in the long run.

EDIT: And given the nature of platforms like Steam and Indie Gaming as a whole, they should especially pay attention to those two companies.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Others looked on awkwardly as the Japanese developer was then subjected to a string criticisms about game design flaws in his native country.
    I usually dislike this stuff because it requires huge brushes and stereotypes. Similar shit can be said about western games if you use stupid stereotypes.

Western games are nothing but brown pieces of shit that try to gussy up that they are all about shooting peoples of different cultures. They don't have much hand holding because the gameplay is all the same and the only question is the controls. The story is supposedly told immersively but is mostly used as an excuse for having almost no story at all other than an excuse for the action.

Eastern European videogames being buggy is still mostly true as far as stereotypes go.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Ugh, I don't think I'm alone in turning out anything Peter Molyneux says these days.

Anyways, apparently THQ is being sued by Adidas for breach of contract:Link
    A California company failed to create a video game for Adidas that was supposed to be linked with the sports equipment company's digital devices, causing more than $10 million in damages, according to a lawsuit Adidas filed in Multnomah County Circuit Court.

THQ Inc. was responsible for publishing an interactive gaming software product based on the Adidas "miCoach," the lawsuit says, referring to a digital exercise-measurement system Adidas is marketing as its entry into a crowded field against the likes of Nike+ products and Garmin sport watches.

The THQ-produced product had a working title of "MiCoach 24/7," according to the lawsuit filed Wednesday. An agreement between Adidas and the game maker, a Nasdaq-listed public company, was reached in December 2010.

The game was supposed to have been launched this January.

But THQ told Adidas in December that it would not be able to finish the game, the lawsuit says, noting that the gaming company has recently reported declining revenues as well as job layoffs. Laid-off employees included workers developing the miCoach-related game, the laws suit says.

Paul Pucino,THQ's chief financial officer, told analysts in early February that the company's sales in fiscal 2013 would be roughly half of this year's. It laid off 240 employees and Nasdaq threatened a delisting if it did not boost its stock price -- which closed at 53 cents on Thursday -- over the next six months.

The damage to Adidas because of the alleged breach of the agreement, the lawsuit says, total at least $10.6 million.

Adidas, a German company that maintains its North American headquarters in Portland, also accuses THQ of refusing to turn over video game publishing materials to an alternative developer of Adidas' choosing.

Adidas is seeking a jury trial for monetary damages not less than $10.6 million and an injunction requiring, among other things, that THQ not sell or transfer the rights to the miCoach-related game.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Couscous wrote: »
    Others looked on awkwardly as the Japanese developer was then subjected to a string criticisms about game design flaws in his native country.
    I usually dislike this stuff because it requires huge brushes and stereotypes. Similar shit can be said about western games if you use stupid stereotypes.

Western games are nothing but brown pieces of shit that try to gussy up that they are all about shooting peoples of different cultures. They don't have much hand holding because the gameplay is all the same and the only question is the controls. The story is supposedly told immersively but is mostly used as an excuse for having almost no story at all other than an excuse for the action.

Eastern European videogames being buggy is still mostly true as far as stereotypes go.

I can't stand it when people can't see a product for what it is. It's frustrating to want to talk about a specific game only to have the conversation bogged down by everything axillary to the game itself. Since I visit a lot of retro gaming sites, I get this all the damn time. Say I want to have a conversation about a specific game on, for instance, the Atari Jaguar. the topic inevitably is filled with people who have never even held a jaguar controller in their hands, spurting off about how bad the Jaguar sucks (because it didn't sell well, you see) and blah blah blah. And then the conversation never shifts back to the specific game.

You see this alllllll the time with Sonic game reviews. People just can't stop talking about the hard times the series went through, even if the game in question isn't bad.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    How many is this for Capcom, now?

jtLDx.jpg

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Hate to drag it up again, but man, Fez looks great and the guy is entitled to an opinion, most of the games I enjoy seem to be western-developed these days.

I don't give a crap how many people feel butthurt by Fish and his phrasing; his comments have lacked any sort of context in any of the reports and reactions I'm seeing, not that he fucking needs any. True, he could have used more tactful wording but bloody hell I've heard plenty of people say far worse.

He is entitled to his opinion except he presented it as Biblical Fact and his opinion is 100% wrong and stupid to boot. And if your insulting someone in front of a huge group of your peers you sure as fuck better supply some context when what you're stating is as dumb as a sack of cabbage or you'll be considered a huge fucking asshole and HAY THAT'S WHAT'S HAPPENING ISN'T IT

I don't see what the hell the fact "most" of the games you enjoy are western has anything to do with it. Can you honestly say that no game that's come out of Japan (apparently EVER by this dickhead's phrasing butr let's be nice and say the last 5 years) has been good? Not enjoyable to you personaly but good? Becasue that is exactly what he's saying, REPEATEDLY, until he started to back peddle towards the end of that Twitter vomit and changed it to most which is still bullshit because I'm willing to bet he hasn't played most Japanese games that have come out.

It just horrifies me that anyone with half a brain is defending this guy. It would be one thing if he said "I really haven't enjoyed most Japanese games these days". Great, more power to him. But he didn't, he acted like an ass, blatantly insulted someone, did it again, then did the playground retreat.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Pretty sure Zelda is a Japanese game. Which means he's a rotten liar. But I guess I'm just beating a dead horse right now. (STAY DEAD!)
    Chen wrote:
    Trynant wrote: »
    About the Fez guy issue; what's really annoying me about some of the posts here is that people are ripping literally one line of quote from a news article that has no other coverage of what Phil Fish said and then some short twitter statements and then trying to make it like this is the sum of the person's thoughts on a subject. Bleh.

His argument is apparently that there's too much handholding in modern Japanese games - citing Skyward Sword as an example. Derp.

Well, I agree the motherfucking shit out of that.
    Dark Souls says you can shut the hell up. Besides, there's too much handholding in general, that is in no way just a Japanese thing.

• Options
    "So, props to Japanese games and the sucky Japanese teams," said Fish. "That said," he continued, "I feel that They've passed us the baton. Perhaps they were not meant to, but we have taken gaming to new levels and they've stopped evolving the games. So again, tremendous respect to them, but I'd say the differentiator is they're old school." He concluded, "The emperor's naked, and I don't want to, you know, I don't want to slap them around, but no Japanese game competes [with] us right now."
    There has been plenty of evolution in Japanese games. They are only old school if you haven't actually played old school RPGs and the like. There are obvious cases of stagnation in many franchises, but that isn't unique to Japanese companies.

Most indie games are a bunch of bottom feeders who subsist on poorly done retro shit or artsy crap undergraduates would find overdone meant to sucker in people who think they are being so classy by playing. Due to their lack of resources, the are almost incapable of doing shit other than puzzle games or the style of 2d platformers that almost everybody found obtuse or just plain frustrating ages ago. They like to see them as the future of gaming but almost none of them have enough business sense to stop wallowing in their own shit and expand. In reality, the future of gaming belongs to the companies that can appeal to the masses and their salaried employees that act as an efficient team.

Just my opinion!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Whenever someone at the helm of a studio does something like this, I can't help but think about what all of the unspoken people there who have been toiling in the shadows must think. You're working on this cool little platformer, making a product that you hope finds acceptance in markets all over the globe, and then your boss has to be a moron and pull a stunt like that. Way to represent the company by berating a man that just complemented you and humiliating him in public. Didn't GameCock things up at all there!

Soon enough it isn't just Fish hates modern Japanese games, its Fez developer hates modern Japanese games, and I highly doubt that this is something that the rest of the team is comfortable with and agrees on. I'm sure things will go over great if Famitsu and other Japanese outlets throw in reviews as well. Fez could be astride with the 360 over there, getting adoration and sales wherever it goes.

Edit: People really need to know when to shut the fuck up too. That above quote from him doesn't do him any favors, much like how Aris just continually shot himself in the foot whenever he opened his mouth on Cross Assault.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »

He is entitled to his opinion except he presented it as Biblical Fact and his opinion is 100% wrong and stupid to boot. And if your insulting someone in front of a huge group of your peers you sure as fuck better supply some context when what you're stating is as dumb as a sack of cabbage or you'll be considered a huge fucking asshole and HAY THAT'S WHAT'S HAPPENING ISN'T IT

I don't see what the hell the fact "most" of the games you enjoy are western has anything to do with it. Can you honestly say that no game that's come out of Japan (apparently EVER by this dickhead's phrasing butr let's be nice and say the last 5 years) has been good? Not enjoyable to you personaly but good? Becasue that is exactly what he's saying, REPEATEDLY, until he started to back peddle towards the end of that Twitter vomit and changed it to most which is still bullshit because I'm willing to bet he hasn't played most Japanese games that have come out.

It just horrifies me that anyone with half a brain is defending this guy. It would be one thing if he said "I really haven't enjoyed most Japanese games these days". Great, more power to him. But he didn't, he acted like an ass, blatantly insulted someone, did it again, then did the playground retreat.

Without wanting to aggrivate things further; man, chill the fuck out and stop being so god damned literal. At no point does he ever say "HAY NO GOOD GAMES HAVE EVER COME OUT OF JAPAN", and even if he did (which he didn't) he's still entitled to an opinion without tip-toeing around your personal feelings on the matter.

You don't like how he handled his opinion? Fine, but when you rail against him and call him '100% wrong and stupid' as 'dumb as a sack of cabbage' and a huge fucking asshole, a dickhead, an ass, an insulting, vomitting, bullshitting infant 'presenting his opinion as biblical fact' then you just sound like a complete hypocrite who can't deal with the fact that some people have different opinions to your own. You are 'horrified that anyone with half a brain is defending this guy?' while I'm more surprised so many supposed adults can't deal with a clumsily worded difference in opinion without acting like their whole fucking world has been somehow shattered and threatened, jumping all over tiny quotes and extracting their own warped interpretation based on how much offense they consider they should feel on the matter.

He does not have to justify his opinion to you or anyone else, so stop acting like you own some moral high ground on how gaming opinion should properly be presented and distributed. He thinks Japanes games suck, big fucking deal, get over it. I think sushi sucks too oh no I might hurt someone's feeling whatever will they do.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Personally I would just be horrified at anyone with half a brain.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    The people who are currently rallying against him are really starting to sound a whole hell of a lot worse than his little quote.

He didn't present his opinion as Biblical Fact, he was asked what HE thought about japanese games. He answered honestly, but bluntly. That second part is the part he messed up on, not the first part.

No I don't.
This discussion has been closed.